shape
carat
color
clarity

Pretty Sure Kay is Trying to Dupe Me!

M

MTHealthyLiving

CBF12CBC-4E6C-4261-9821-9B34262FF031.jpeg Is it just me, or is the bottom band different than the top?

Bottom: Neil Lane, came in Neil Lane box, has Neil Lane signature engraved in the band, brilliant sparkle and shine, loved it so much I ordered a second one when it went on sale.
Got the second band, did not come in Neil Lane box, did not have Neil Lane engraved, looks smaller, lackluster... sent it back.
A month later ordered the band again using some Kay BF2D4645-45DB-4D15-8315-5F14A58EDE06.png
rewards I had accumulated. Again, no Neil Lane box or signature, smaller, lackluster....

It seems to me that Kay is trying to sell a lesser quality product when on sale.

Or is it just me?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CBF12CBC-4E6C-4261-9821-9B34262FF031.jpeg Is it just me, or is the bottom band different than the top?

Bottom: Neil Lane, came in Neil Lane box, has Neil Lane signature engraved in the band, brilliant sparkle and shine, loved it so much I ordered a second one when it went on sale.
Got the second band, did not come in Neil Lane box, did not have Neil Lane engraved, looks smaller, lackluster... sent it back.
A month later ordered the band again using some Kay BF2D4645-45DB-4D15-8315-5F14A58EDE06.png
rewards I had accumulated. Again, no Neil Lane box or signature, smaller, lackluster....

It seems to me that Kay is trying to sell a lesser quality product when on sale.

Or is it just me?
If NL signature is not engraved inside, it’s NOT NL!! You need to speak to someone in authority, and send that back!! I have 2 NL pieces, sold to my DH by our local jeweler. BOTH have his signature engraved inside the band, and the signature is identical....no fakes. Some of NL’s pieces go on clearance or in the Vault, to make room for new inventory. You should still get the NL item, not some knock off!
Start making phone calls & make some noise!!!
ETA: Kay’s is more expensive than Jared, if you never compared. I have comparison shopped “maul” stores, and have found the same product to be considerably higher at Kay’s than at Jared. You may have better success at Jared than at Kay’s, for NL, as Kay’s seems to be a rip-off; I refuse to go there.

Last edited:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If NL signature is not engraved inside, it’s NOT NL!! You need to speak to someone in authority, and send that back!! I have 2 NL pieces, sold to my DH by our local jeweler. BOTH have his signature engraved inside the band, and the signature is identical....no fakes. Some of NL’s pieces go on clearance or in the Vault, to make room for new inventory. You should still get the NL item, not some knock off!
ETA: Kay’s is more expensive than Jared, if you never compared. I have comparison shopped “maul” stores, and have found the same product to be considerably higher at Kay’s than at Jared. You may have better success at Jared than at Kay’s, for NL, as Kay’s seems to be a rip-off; I refuse to go there.

No signature, not the real deal. Send it back.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cant see any difference in the pictures but its probably small detail that you can only see in person. Can you take it to Kays and
compare with the one they have in store and ask them why its not the same? I do agree with others to return it though and
get the NL one that you're after.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They don't necessarily make these with the degree of quality control you might hope for. Possibly it is an unauthorized, knock-off, but far more likely it is just an example that few mass produced items are identical. Generally, they don't need to be identical, but just highly similar. That is what I believe I see in the pictures. A lack of a maker's mark is problematic, for sure. I'd agree that you ought to be totally happy about the authenticity issue. There ought to be no problem getting someone's attention over that dilemma. You are certainly entitled to the BRAND specified by the advertising. Even so, there may be some variance in appearance between one ring and another within the same production company.

Tophat1

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, could be the sale issue, or they could have just cheapened the quality since the last time you bought. Retailers are always shaving costs out of products

M

MTHealthyLiving

Thank you! I’m glad it’s not just me that thinks something’s amiss. I remember getting the first NL band, and it took my breath away. Dainty, but stunning! Not so much with this one. I will call Kay today.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, could be the sale issue, or they could have just cheapened the quality since the last time you bought. Retailers are always shaving costs out of products
To me, the lack of a maker's mark is the thing that really stands out. I've never seen a NL piece without it, although maybe its changed as some kind of cost savings thing.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Call Neil Lane. They will be very, very unhappy if Kay is selling generic product under their name.

I think this is not likely though. My guess would be that Kay has NL make them a special line that uses poorer materials and does not come in a nice box. This is pretty standard, like Jean Paul Gaultier doing a collection for Target, or Home Depot selling a TV not available anywhere else but identical to the one at Lowes except for the color of the power button.

M

MTHealthyLiving

What’s interesting is the one I bought full price is NL. Gorgeous, has signature, etc. But the two times I’ve tried to purchase the exact same band on sale I get what appears to be a knockoff.

M

MTHealthyLiving

To me, the lack of a maker's mark is the thing that really stands out. I've never seen a NL piece without it, although maybe its changed as some kind of cost savings thing.

Except I ordered two identical NL bands within days of each other. The full price band, beautiful NL (which I still have and love), the one on sale, poor quality, smaller, etc.

M

MTHealthyLiving

I cant see any difference in the pictures but its probably small detail that you can only see in person. Can you take it to Kays and
compare with the one they have in store and ask them why its not the same? I do agree with others to return it though and
get the NL one that you're after.

I have another NL band to compare. The one I bought full price is a NL... beautiful, has signature, good quality, etc. But twice now when I’ve tried to buy an identical NL on sale, I get what appears to be a knockoff.

M

MTHealthyLiving

They don't necessarily make these with the degree of quality control you might hope for. Possibly it is an unauthorized, knock-off, but far more likely it is just an example that few mass produced items are identical. Generally, they don't need to be identical, but just highly similar. That is what I believe I see in the pictures. A lack of a maker's mark is problematic, for sure. I'd agree that you ought to be totally happy about the authenticity issue. There ought to be no problem getting someone's attention over that dilemma. You are certainly entitled to the BRAND specified by the advertising. Even so, there may be some variance in appearance between one ring and another within the same production company.

Unfortunately they aren’t similar enough for me. The real NL I have is stunning. The other, not so much. It’s smaller, the band is thinner, the details aren’t beautiful, the diamond color is bad, and there’s no NL signature. When I ordered the NL and paid full price I got a NL. Twice when I’ve ordered on sale, I get a knockoff.

ABKIS

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would call Neil Lane directly and ask them. You're not certain that it's a knockoff. It could very well be that they do a lower end line for big chain stores like Jared's. Hopefully you reach a resolution soon!

M

MTHealthyLiving

I would call Neil Lane directly and ask them. You're not certain that it's a knockoff. It could very well be that they do a lower end line for big chain stores like Jared's. Hopefully you reach a resolution soon!

Why though, would I get one that is absolutely stunning with the NL signature, in a NL box, beautiful quality when I pay full price... but twice when I tried to buy the exact same ring on sale, advertised as a NL, with a photo on the website that shows it’s a NL, I get something that looks like a cheap version? Plus my receipt says it’s a NL. No NL signature, no NL box, bad quality. If it’s not a true NL they need to advertise it as such.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why though, would I get one that is absolutely stunning with the NL signature, in a NL box, beautiful quality when I pay full price...

That ::)

I suppose you could try buying one at full price and see which version you get...
(I'm not recommending that! The suggestion to call NL was an excellent one).

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another idea, once you’ve resolved this issue, if you still want the same band, at sale price, go to Kay’s, or any jeweler that carries NL, and ask them to special order it for you. Once it arrives, look at it, and see which one you get. I’ll GUARANTEE, it’s the same ring you have & love, with his signature inscribed, inside....better quality, better stones.

M

MTHealthyLiving

That ::)

I suppose you could try buying one at full price and see which version you get...
(I'm not recommending that! The suggestion to call NL was an excellent one).

I already did buy one at full price. Love it, it’s beautiful.

rockhoundofficiando

Shiny_Rock

Or is it just me?

I would ask about the diamond clarity. Kay's tends to use I2, I3 diamonds, and Neil Lane uses I1. That could give you a clue. However, either way, if it's not labeled as Neil Lane, then it isn't Neil Lane....no matter what the sales clerk claims.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is odd you bought a branded piece, but the brand isn’t on the item or the packaging. Does the receipt state it is a NL ring? Either way, I would return it.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree that she needs to call Neil Lane, and make them aware.
I disagree that NL makes a lower quality line for chain stores. I have two of NL’s designs from my DH. Both were purchased in person at Jared, so they came in Jared boxes. However, BOTH have his authentic signature inscribed in them; one of the pieces was special ordered for me, and delivered to the store. I’ve seen his line in stores, and none of them look like the second band she has on her finger. I call fraud! No way that’s NL! :knockout:

M

MTHealthyLiving

I think it is odd you bought a branded piece, but the brand isn’t on the item or the packaging. Does the receipt state it is a NL ring? Either way, I would return it.

Yes, the receipt says it’s a NL. I think that’s what’s going to make it difficult to dispute.

M

MTHealthyLiving

I agree that she needs to call Neil Lane, and make them aware.
I disagree that NL makes a lower quality line for chain stores. I have two of NL’s designs from my DH. Both were purchased in person at Jared, so they came in Jared boxes. However, BOTH have his authentic signature inscribed in them; one of the pieces was special ordered for me, and delivered to the store. I’ve seen his line in stores, and none of them look like the second band she has on her finger. I call fraud! No way that’s NL! :knockout:

I’m glad I’m not the only one seeing that band is not the same! I tried to message NL on Facebook, as I’m struggling to find any contact information for them. When you go to their website and click “contact us” it just gives you options to contact, Kay, Jared, and other distributors.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the receipt says it’s a NL. I think that’s what’s going to make it difficult to dispute.
Are you in the return window? Wondering if you actually have to dispute it. If you do, Kay’s website says the ring has NL’s signature and since yours doesn’t the item isn’t as described. If Kay doesn’t let you return I would try your CC company next.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see the difference. After hearing the horror stories that abound, I believe that there is no low to which Kay will not stoop. Return it. And stop going there, it's like throwing money away.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they say that it is NL, but there is no stamp (as there is on all other NL stuff) then it isn't NL. Even buying a brand on sale should still be "the brand" right? Otherwise, it's like charging MORE for the generic version, while CLAIMING its the brand ON SALE. Not cool. Definitely unethical and possibly illegal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results