shape
carat
color
clarity

President McCain

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
So is anyone still attempting to discuss McCain/conservativeness in a positive light? I really do wish there was a thread where people could truly just discuss conservative opinions because it would be nice to have a bit of a sounding board for them. I am personally always open to new ideas, but I am turned off to them when they are accompanied with too much sarcasm and bashing. Anyway, I just wondered if anyone was still going in that direction before I started rattling off my thoughts. After reading through most of the thread I feel like people sort of want to post more on these sorts of view points, but are more or less holding back. I could be wrong though.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Having a more Conservative boyfriend, I would love to read more from that viewpoint so that I can better understand how people feel about the direction they want this country to go. Furthermore I''d like to learn what McCain can offer to support that direction and why.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
I see.

Well,there are actually a few reasons why I prefer McCain (If I had my way, Huckabee would be the candidate.) I''m not a huge McCain supporter. I think he and Obama are really more similar than they are different, but there are a few things that appeal to me:

I personally like what I''ve heard him say about vetoing any bills that contain earmarks. Ridiculous things sneak through all the time, and I think congress ought to be voting on one issue at the time rather than one major issue with a few sneaky ones attached to it.

I also like the idea of privatized social security. I actually work (as a teacher) in a county that does NOT pay into social security through some strange loop hole. We have our own privatized accounts and actually are getting a much better deal than folks who are paying into the system. I''m also not inclined to feel sorry for those who don''t save for themselves. To me having to save for yourself makes you more responsible rather than relying on the government. I mean I guess something could go wrong with private accounts whereas social security is "supposed" to be a guaranteed thing, but to me the whole system seems sketchy. I actually need to relocate my job to save on gas and to get into better working conditions (I wouldn''t be taking a pay cut), BUT I am so opposed to the very idea of paying into social security (based on what I know of the system), that I really want to keep working in my current county indefinitely despite the fact that it isn''t typically the best place to work and it''s 16 miles away. Now, there may be many hidden benefits to our social security system that I don''t know about. And certainly I feel it should be provided for those who cannot (not will not, but cannot) fend for themselves due to some handicap. But then again, considering that I am happily not going to have to pay into it no matter who wins, maybe I shouldn''t take such issue with it.

I also like the idea of tax cuts for middle America (naturally, since I am part of the demographic that would see the results on my paycheck). Of course I am a fan of any tax breaks. I would actually prefer a flat tax or the fair tax, but I haven''t heard much talk from either of the current candidates regarding either of those. (But that is why initially I was such a fan of Huckabee because he was a supporter of changing the tax system, but that''s a different can of worms I suppose) Anyway, I am not sure if any sort of tax break will become a reality, but the potential for it sounds mighty appealing to me.

I like his position on national security. Dunno why, I just do.

I don''t like that he seems to be so pro big government, but at this point, everyone in Washington seems to be a fan of that, so I don''t know who it will take to get the government to stay out of things that could be better handled on a state-to-state basis (marriage, reproductive rights, drugs, education, etc. To me those things would be better decided on by state governments. It just seems that interests are VERY different from state to state--oh, but that''s again another can of worms for another day)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fancy605 for President !
yippee10.gif

here''s what i think about our SS system...
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/did-know-our-social-security-system-is-the-biggest-ponzi-scheme-ever.85862/

and yes....i would also like to see a flat tax system.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 3:20:12 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
Fancy605 for President !
yippee10.gif

here''s what i think about our SS system...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/did-know-our-social-security-system-is-the-biggest-ponzi-scheme-ever.85862/

and yes....i would also like to see a flat tax system.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction--that''s an interesting thread.

I suppose I ought to clarify--I don''t mind if there is a social security system in place for those who want to use it because they either don''t want to worry about planning for themselves or don''t understand/don''t want to bother with trying to understand finances. I just think that everyone ought to have the same option I have, which is to not pay into it at all and have a privatized account. Couldn''t both the federal program and private programs exist at the same time?

Really I suppose when I say I''m conservative, I am really mainly fiscally conservative. I''m a bit socially liberal (and of course social stuff is mostly made up of issues that I think should stay out of the hands of the federal govn''t anyway because really most of them shouldn''t be issues in the first place.) But when it comes to money and financing and such...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results