shape
carat
color
clarity

President McCain

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 2:22:02 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
In Hangout, there have been threads for Dogs or Cats only. I think maybe we need a thread for conservatives only to discuss their viewpoints without fear of being attacked or ridculed and the Democrats or liberals could also have their own off-limits threads with no debating, too. I suppose the undecideds could have a thread where they could ask questions, too. The problem with this thread was that it was started by Starset, who maybe had the best of intentions; yet to some, it may have appeared to be a trap since her avatar does indicate she has clearly already made her choice!
I agree! I think it would be nice to have an Obama thread that discusses nothing but his accomplishments and what he hopes to accomplish, a McCain thread the same way, and THEN a "discussion" thread where people can enter at their own risk. :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/7/2008 2:32:54 PM
Author: luckystar112

In Hangout, there have been threads for Dogs or Cats only. I think maybe we need a thread for conservatives only to discuss their viewpoints without fear of being attacked or ridculed and the Democrats or liberals could also have their own off-limits threads with no debating, too. I suppose the undecideds could have a thread where they could ask questions, too. The problem with this thread was that it was started by Starset, who maybe had the best of intentions; yet to some, it may have appeared to be a trap since her avatar does indicate she has clearly already made her choice!
I agree! I think it would be nice to have an Obama thread that discusses nothing but his accomplishments and what he hopes to accomplish, a McCain thread the same way, and THEN a ''discussion'' thread where people can enter at their own risk. :)
Yes, and then if the other side wants to read the viewpoints of others, they can. But there needs to be a place that people can post freely.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what is a conservative?

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s another good one. Mark Steyn is a great writer and a hell of a good looking guy too
emotion-14.gif

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NzUyM2EzMjVmNDAxNzVjZTYyYzE5YzI1OWJjZTc0OGM=

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 4:07:07 PM
Author: SanDiegoLady
Thank you to Caroline, LA Jennifer, Sara & DS for your kindnesses. You know, I try to be as fair as possible and respectful of my fellow PS friends.. and have purposely stayed away from the political threads as I have an obvious difference of opinion as to who or what makes up a proper representative for our country.

We all value our opinions and while we might not agree with the other person''s party- we should still be respectful. This thread''s purpose was created by Starset to determine why McCain would make a good president, why he is the right candidate and why we''d support him. I haven''t seen that answered really. I gave my opinions on what I believe, and that I don''t believe we have candidates who are worthy of the office. But in taking the lesser of two evils, I''d rather vote a liberal Republican like John McCain than his opponent.

I want to see our country thrive and I don''t believe it can be if we are taxed into the ground. I believe that middle class people (or most classes really) already pay a high price financially- I know I do. Regardless of who wins the upcoming election; liberal McCain or even more liberal Obama, we will in fact have a very tough several years ahead. And.. that''s just my opinion.

So.. having said what I have, I''ll be steering clear of the political posts from now on because as I''ve already said, you''re not going to get the other party to say, oh gosh, you''re right I see the error of my ways. But, there''s a nicer way to debate eachother than bashing eachother, their parties or their candidate.. have your views, but gosh can''t everyone be kind about it?
Big fat fricken DITTO!
Except I made the mistake of stooping to their level.
20.gif

If someone wants to start a new McCain thread in the future, when things really start to get going, I''ll be happy to participate. Debating these issues is so redundant, and I don''t plan on doing it any more. My views aren''t very popular here either. Oh well!

Pie, anyone?
31.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
DF- conservatism

I want to say that I respect you all very much and hold you all in the highest regard (even you and your one liners DF!) and I hope that goes from you to me as well.

But I have to say that I am a wee bit offended and slightly appalled that you would make character flaw statements about someone just because of some posts on a semi-anonymous web forum. I''m sure part of it stands from the partisan views that we have on this subforum, but to make cloaked insults about people and their character is not something that I would want to partake in. Just because a person is opinionated, outspoken and not of the same belief as you, does not mean that they have character flaws, it just means that they have different beliefs than you and in my case are expressing frustration. We are all different, and I rejoice in that fact. I want to learn from every single one of you, because I''m sure you all know far more about different things than I do, but talking trash in a veiled manner while pretending to be reasonable is not the way to go about doing that.

So I would like to say that I am sorry if I have offended any of you personally. It was not intentional. I hope that in the future you can keep that in mind, as well as reading posts with a grain (or fifty) of salt and remember that we are all adults and we are perfectly capable of being respectful, logical and reasonable.

And now, because I feel as though I have been downgraded to a second class citizen and because I feel I have said my piece, I will follow Karen''s lead and bow out of this thread as well.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
i don''t let these debates bother me.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
The problem with this thread was that it was started by Starset, who maybe had the best of intentions; yet to some, it may have appeared to be a trap since her avatar does indicate she has clearly already made her choice!

I don't think that's the problem with this thread. There has been very little to respond to until the third page - which I haven't read the links yet. I am a Dem, and the big hurdle with the Dems right now is lack of unity between the supporters of two very similar candidates (from an 'issues' standpoint.)Therefore my avatar encourages Dems to unite.

I've been so wrapped up with getting to a nomination, being fascinated by the process, that I haven't researched McCain that much. My initial opinion of him is that he's an old, yes, old, retired military war hero, (on a sidenote, is it that he survived being a POW that makes him a hero? not a 'dig' a real question) who says we'll stay in the war for 100 years until we win. He's so military-centric that I don't know what else he knows about the other issues. He's cozy with Bush, no matter how much he tries to say he's not, he voted in favor of Bush's direction through the last years, and it feels 'the same.'

Anyway, in no way did I set this up as a sham.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 4:07:07 PM
Thank you to Caroline, LA Jennifer, Sara & DS for your kindnesses. You know, I try to be as fair as possible and respectful of my fellow PS friends.. and have purposely stayed away from the political threads as I have an obvious difference of opinion as to who or what makes up a proper representative for our country.

We all value our opinions and while we might not agree with the other person's party- we should still be respectful. This thread's purpose was created by Starset to determine why McCain would make a good president, why he is the right candidate and why we'd support him. I haven't seen that answered really. I gave my opinions on what I believe, and that I don't believe we have candidates who are worthy of the office. But in taking the lesser of two evils, I'd rather vote a liberal Republican like John McCain than his opponent.

I want to see our country thrive and I don't believe it can be if we are taxed into the ground. I believe that middle class people (or most classes really) already pay a high price financially- I know I do. Regardless of who wins the upcoming election; liberal McCain or even more liberal Obama, we will in fact have a very tough several years ahead. And.. that's just my opinion.

So.. having said what I have, I'll be steering clear of the political posts from now on because as I've already said, you're not going to get the other party to say, oh gosh, you're right I see the error of my ways. But, there's a nicer way to debate eachother than bashing eachother, their parties or their candidate.. have your views, but gosh can't everyone be kind about it?
I ditto this as well. To be completely honest, I usually avoid the political threads for several reasons: 1. I have unpopular views and sometimes feel like a mouse in a room full of cats. 2. I have no interest in swaying anybody's opinion--I've come to my opinions after reading many books and articles from BOTH sides because and feel strongly about the issues that are important to me. I feel no need to "debate" because I've already done it within myself and am confident in where I stand even if nobody else agrees. I feel everybody should go through their own journey like that-- and 3. I prefer PS to be a lighthearted place for myself, which is just a personal preference.

Oh, and 4. I have always and will always (or at least for as long as Ron Paul is running) vote for a man who will never be president, which gives me a certain detachment from political debates about the front runners--not that I don't read their speeches, watch debates, etc. becaue I like to know where everybody stands on everything, it's just that as a consititutionalist, there's no way I could vote for them.

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 4:52:57 PM
Author: FrekeChild
DF- conservatism

I want to say that I respect you all very much and hold you all in the highest regard (even you and your one liners DF!) and I hope that goes from you to me as well.

But I have to say that I am a wee bit offended and slightly appalled that you would make character flaw statements about someone just because of some posts on a semi-anonymous web forum. I'm sure part of it stands from the partisan views that we have on this subforum, but to make cloaked insults about people and their character is not something that I would want to partake in. Just because a person is opinionated, outspoken and not of the same belief as you, does not mean that they have character flaws, it just means that they have different beliefs than you and in my case are expressing frustration. We are all different, and I rejoice in that fact. I want to learn from every single one of you, because I'm sure you all know far more about different things than I do, but talking trash in a veiled manner while pretending to be reasonable is not the way to go about doing that.

So I would like to say that I am sorry if I have offended any of you personally. It was not intentional. I hope that in the future you can keep that in mind, as well as reading posts with a grain (or fifty) of salt and remember that we are all adults and we are perfectly capable of being respectful, logical and reasonable.

And now, because I feel as though I have been downgraded to a second class citizen and because I feel I have said my piece, I will follow Karen's lead and bow out of this thread as well.

just in case anyone hadn't had their healthy dose of irony today....

p.s. please don't get all righteous and offended because of something that nobody even said. read more closely: no one said OR implied that having differing views or opinions qualified as a character flaw - and it's completely asinine to try and say they did (mostly because no one here would EVER say that). they were specifically referring to the way that posters were handling themselves, regardless of their views.

sorry, that was about 30 pages of politics thread worth of sarcasm built up.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I am going to repost here the same post I just posted on the Obama thread because I think it speaks to the problem of "segregation" in the political sense...well I will post it once I have a chance to copy paste and open two windows.

What I would like to suggest to the wonderful people in this community is that we have ONE thread to discuss who we believe would be the best president, without their "gang label" of Democrat or Republican, conservative or liberal. So many of us are both in a broad sense and neither in a political sense. I am fiscally conservative and socially liberal if I had to find a narrow defination. But one thing I can tell you is...we are all the same. We have the same needs. We many have different strategies that we believe will get those needs met, but you can''t deny the need. It''s inherently human (and so far, I think we are all human, but eh, you never know).

I would like to know what is your greatest fear/s? And once we have those outlined, you will see that we are all the same. Then we can be a beacon of light in the political discussion arena without resorting to the historical divisive comments that result in the "attack and defend" mentality. We should not try to "convince" each other of our views. Let''s focus on our needs and the feelings we have about those needs being met or not met and then explore whether or not we think either of the candidates are capable of doing so.

I can start:

I feel scared because I see so much violence both domestically and internationally that undermines my need for safety and security.

I feel sad because I see so much inequality in access to markets, food and shelter that undermines my need for fairness.

I feel angry because I see so much corruption and dishonesty that undermines my need for honesty.

I feel lonely because I see that it is easier to make a friend online in this forum than it is to get neighbors to trust and build community and that undermines my need for connection and love.

Okay...that is all I have for now. I have to think about this further and my Tilipia is ready.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 10:18:15 PM
Author: miraclesrule

I would like to know what is your greatest fear/s?
I'll bite:

I am terrified that our education system is ranked 18th in comparison to the wealthiest countries in the world.
I am scared that we have become so politically correct as a society that we are afraid to voice our opinions for fear we might hurt someones' feelings.
I am afraid of the disappearance of a working middle class in this country. We are becoming a nation of haves and have nots.
I am scared that as we, the collective we, continue to mollycoddle our children we will continue to create a society that is not driven to succeed nor will they understand the intrinsic value of doing the right thing (be kind to others, be honest, work hard, etc.)
I am afraid that our throw-away ways of living will only allow us to continue to value so little, because we have so much and don't know what it truly means to want/need.
I am afraid living in a society where "bling" (man, I hate that word, and that's sacrelege on a diamond website) and excess rule and education becomes less and less important, less valued.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 12:18:59 AM
This isn''t about being Republican or Democrat, its what''s best for the country.. keep that in mind when bad mouthing your friend''s party here on PS.. While we all have our opinions on what we believe, it is unnecessary and quite simply a lack of class and respect for each other- to bash the other''s political party or each other in general and I am so sad to see it here.

Sadly, people miss the point that its our country that needs a leader who is not afraid of being just that- A LEADER. They miss the issue of what''s best for the country. Someone who RESPECTS the office, who WANTS to see this country survive and who isn''t afraid of rolling up his OR her sleeves and really work TO DO THE RIGHT THING for the people AND the country. Not the liberal or conservative- BUT THE RIGHT THING.

I doubt theres anything one can say to make the other see the other''s side when they believe their person can do no wrong, but remember we are supposed to be friends here.. and should be respectful to each other.

Ok?

I for one, want someone that wants to represent this country with strength, with grace and intelligence. I could give a damn how old OR how young he is. I don''t care if he OR she is black, white, yellow, green or purple. Whoever leads this country needs to do so in the best interest of THE COUNTRY. Period.
I completely agree with SDL''s post here. Especially the respect part. Perhaps I should have just copied and pasted instead of trying to write my own since my points are apparently asinine.

I appreciate your attempt in goading me to post a rebuttal Mimzy, but frankly, it''s not worth my time or effort. I really don''t want to go back and find quotes from others that I found offensive because frankly, I would rather move on.

And as I tried to earlier, move away from this thread. My being here is not accomplishing anything except raising my blood pressure and gradually losing respect I have for some of the great women of PS.

So I bid you adieu.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Feeling List

Needs List

Feelings are broken down into two sections...the ones you feel when your needs are being met and the ones you feel when they aren''t. Needs are needs.

Great list Kimberly. It made me have to go search for the feelings and needs inventory list so we could have some non-violent conflict dialogue. I really value you this community and think that we are just resorting to the communication style we are taught in our world and our education. So, I thought I would put a spin on things.

Your list got my wheels spinning...now I don''t know where I should be posting...in this thread or the Obama thread. Maybe I should have started a new thread and we could put this past behind us and go with what is in us right now....in this new moment.
30.gif

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 10:48:49 PM
Author: FrekeChild

I appreciate your attempt in goading me to post a rebuttal Mimzy, but frankly, it's not worth my time or effort. I really don't want to go back and find quotes from others that I found offensive because frankly, I would rather move on.

And as I tried to earlier, move away from this thread. My being here is not accomplishing anything except raising my blood pressure and gradually losing respect I have for some of the great women of PS.

So I bid you adieu.

wasn't trying to "goad" you into anything, i was just responding to your post, Freke. and i'm not sure what in my post would require you to go back and find offensive remarks, so i'm glad you aren't going to waste your time (?)

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 11:19:05 PM
Feeling List

Needs List

Feelings are broken down into two sections...the ones you feel when your needs are being met and the ones you feel when they aren''t. Needs are needs.

Great list Kimberly. It made me have to go search for the feelings and needs inventory list so we could have some non-violent conflict dialogue. I really value you this community and think that we are just resorting to the communication style we are taught in our world and our education. So, I thought I would put a spin on things.

Your list got my wheels spinning...now I don''t know where I should be posting...in this thread or the Obama thread. Maybe I should have started a new thread and we could put this past behind us and go with what is in us right now....in this new moment.
30.gif

Sorry about the bad links...I am a link virgin.
17.gif

But I was de-virginized on the other thread....so here you go.
11.gif

Feelings List

Needs List

Gotta love it when you master a new skill.
35.gif

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/7/2008 11:19:05 PM
Feeling List

Needs List

30.gif
I think your spin is valid, but that this conversation is occuring in two threads, because people don''t feel comfortable addressing one another elsewhere, is a pretty good example of why we as a country are in the spot we''re in. People don''t know how to talk to one another. And I''m not so sure that''s about the education system, I was taught to have debates in school, and in the elementary schools I''ve worked in students are made to engage in peaceful conflict resolution, at a base level. I think it''s more about not being able to see beyond ones'' own beliefs, because we''re all biased based on our life experiences and we all want to believe that we know best. Anyways, all that just to say: I think you should start a new thread.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
SDL, I could not agree more.

I am not one extreme or the other. I have my views, and while I feel strongly and have done the homework I need to feel okay about my views, I certainly am open to hearing diverging views from people in the know. I almost always learns something and sometimes it helps propel me to do more homework. What I DO NOT like is the sarcasm, snarky comments, and PERSONAL bashing that occurs. I am NOT defined by one thing. And I think it is wholly inappropriate to feel it is your mission to threaten and bash people into justifying themselves here, and being personally offensive to those whose opinion you disagree with OR those who are not complying with your edicts. Who needs that at all, and I certainly do not come here to be treated that way. (I am using you in the general sense). I mean, we need to all play nicely in the sandbox and I just realized if a thread has taken a certain turn and is being dominated by people who feel it is their way and their way only or one is ignorant, wrong, exemplifies what is so horrid in this country..well, I pass. And I feel, with all our issues, I still would not live anywhere else in the world.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will say it again, that I have respect for all three (now two) presidential candidates McCain, Obama, and Clinton. They have all done far more in their lifetimes than I ever will. I feel any of them will be an improvement to what we have had the last eight years. Maybe I am naive, but feel the primary motivator for these people is for public service in that they feel that is the best way he/she can help this country, because when it all comes down to it even the president is a public servant who should answer to the American people. And (so far) it seems like even the campaigns have been more respectful, a hopeful sign?

That said, I do feel sad, as San Diego Lady said, that there seems to be among posters so little respect for the candidates that may be our president! I also came to this thread to get a better idea of what people liked and didn''t like about McCain, but again it is superficial stuff like (he is old and uses profanity) and for (we will be bombed by the terrorists if we don''t vote for him).
One of the things that I disliked the most about the last eight years is how divisive this country got. It''s the same old story, divide and conquer. I feel poor or rich, we as a country will rise together or fall together. There are plenty of things we disagree on. Maybe if as a people we focused less on the things we disagree on, and focus on the things that are most important, we could really accomplish something.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Starset, he is deemed to be a hero because his actions saved the lives of his men at various points during the war. Also, wounded and captured, tortured and denied medical care, he still survived, and when his father was given a high ranking position in the military, his captors were going to allow him to go home, so they would look good. He refused unless all of the men being held with him (and tortured and mistreated) were also released. He could have taken that and gone home, but he did not want to leave men behind to suffer.

I am not going to say he is a perfect man. None of us would likely like the scrutiny to end all scrutiny he (and many public figures) are under. I know he has issues and problems like the rest of us. But I certainly admire what he withstood and would not sit in judgment of some of his choices that came AFTER surviving years of beatings, minimal medical help and mental abuse.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/11/2008 12:59:03 AM
Author: diamondfan
Starset, he is deemed to be a hero because his actions saved the lives of his men at various points during the war. Also, wounded and captured, tortured and denied medical care, he still survived, and when his father was given a high ranking position in the military, his captors were going to allow him to go home, so they would look good. He refused unless all of the men being held with him (and tortured and mistreated) were also released. He could have taken that and gone home, but he did not want to leave men behind to suffer.

I am not going to say he is a perfect man. None of us would likely like the scrutiny to end all scrutiny he (and many public figures) are under. I know he has issues and problems like the rest of us. But I certainly admire what he withstood and would not sit in judgment of some of his choices that came AFTER surviving years of beatings, minimal medical help and mental abuse.
I''ll have to say, that is a man of integrity regardless of any other imperfections. I did not know that about him and appreciate your posting it DF.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks DS. I think it does show character. My husband told me that he could have gone home one year into his capture due to his father''s military appointment, and yet refused on behalf of all the other men being held and stayed another 4 plus years. He could have been home and out. I am not sure many people in his shoes would have done the same. And I was not in his marriage and so I really cannot say much, though I do not condone cheating unless there is some really extenuating circumstance. Marriage is complicated and she had been injured and he was tortured and imprisioned for nearly 6 years, so that is bound to do terrible things to someone.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I know this is something that hasn't been discussed on this thread..and maybe it should be its own thread, but I was thinking about running mates this morning and was curious about everybody's opinion on who McCain's running mate should be.

I keep hearing that if he chooses another old white guy, he won't have a chance. While I'm not sure about that (I'm sure everybody would agree that the running mate's views are most important), I can understand why political pundits would say that.

Some names I've heard thrown around for a long time are:

Lieberman--likeable, but argued that McCain needs somebody more conservative since he's already considered pretty liberal.
Charlie Crist--gov. of Florida who isn't as popular in Florida as Jeb Bush, but I think not having a Bush on the ballot would be a good thing.
Mel Martinez--sen. in Florida...so another pivotal FL choice--the idea is that he would appeal to hispanics, but I don't think McCain is losing a lot of votes there.
Mark Sanford--gov. of SC who's notoriously cheap (I like that!) and lugged 2 live pigs in to congress to make a point about porkbelly spending. People love him or hate him, but I have to admit that I like his style. I don't know if somebody who polarizes people is a great running mate...
Tom Pawlenty--The fact that he would deliver MN is key and he's kind of a safe bet.

I think the outside chances (and maybe Lieberman should be in here) are
Colin Powell--same age as Lieberman, which is a drawback, but Powell and McCain don't have a close relationship
Steve King (of Iowa)--I think his and McCain's border policies are too different
Huckabee--I think it would be great and while McCain might be open to it, I don't think Huckabee would be
Kay B. Hutchison (TX) or Jodi Rell (CT)--I think these may have been options if Clinton won the election, but since he's not running against a woman I think there are better options.

So as I was listening to the radio this morning, the option of Condoleezza Rice popped up and I thought it was really interesting since she would appeal to conservative Republicans and she's so well known. Do you think that would be an option?

I'm sure I'm leaving a bunch of options out, I was just curious about people's opinions on the running mate options.

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Kay B. Hutchison (TX) or Jodi Rell (CT)--I think these may have been options if Clinton won the election, but since he's not running against a woman I think there are better options.

So as I was listening to the radio this morning, the option of Condoleezza Rice popped up and I thought it was really interesting since she would appeal to conservative Republicans and she's so well known. Do you think that would be an option?

On a very stereotypical and superficial level, I think either of these appointments would help attract those voters who are stuck on someone being black or female. Goodness sakes we know that women tend to be a very influential voting demographic. I think it could pull the Clinton supports away from their own democratic nominee.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I know, Starset, I hate to factor race/gender into it because we all know it shouldn''t be about that, but considering the election this year it''s been a bit of a focal point. I think candidates are thinking about how they can appeal to the widest range of people.

HeadOverHeels4James

Shiny_Rock
I think the people on the obama board want to hunt me down! haha
15.gif

HeadOverHeels4James

Shiny_Rock
I didn''t see a place where it said "pro-obama" all it said was "would obama make a good president" I think he would not! I made a comment (which I guess was out of context without me being able to back myself up) but geees... bite my head off! Gees, I try to get involved in politics and people freak out when someone says something! BAH This is exactly why I haven''t been involved in the past!
29.gif

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
No need to run for shelter, HOH4J :)

Really, I feel that most everybody on this board is open-minded and doesn''t feel there is a "wrong" opinion, you just need to be able to back up why you feel the way you do so that there is something substantial to discuss.

I don''t think anybody was trying to make you feel bad and even if somebody does try to do that, don''t sweat it. Defending your position can be a fun part of political debates and more importantly, it''s how you learn, so don''t feel any need to run away!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results