shape
carat
color
clarity

@PreRaphaelite Please show us your capsules ❤️

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
@PreRaphaelite
I love your idea to arrange the jewelry into groups.
I might try this. Maybe then more of my pieces would get worn!
I have a bunch of those little bags lying around.

Honestly I do the same thing with full outfits in my closet. Bag, shoes, tops, bottoms, scarves, non-precious jewellery. Stacking hangers (as shown) make it easy and once I find a ‘best’ combination of garments, they stay together and I never think about it when getting dressed. Is that T.M.I. ?
71NiWzc+ujL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Oh my goodness, you have style! Each grouping is so unique, romantic, and simply gorgeous. Your idea to keep them together in capsule bags is brilliant. Already one of my all-time favorite threads. I would be happy to look at photos forever. (More photos!!) Also, your outfit descriptions are lovely. Beautiful! :love:

Thank you so much for inspiring me with your incredible collection - I only put my pieces in sets after reading your thread on Jewellery Capsules. I think you started a trend that will last forever!

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
A truly dreamy collection. I'm going to revisit this thread many times for inspiration.

Even though I've never met you IRL, I feel I know your personality, your style, your essence, based on your collection.

Beautiful and romantic!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
A truly dreamy collection. I'm going to revisit this thread many times for inspiration.

Even though I've never met you IRL, I feel I know your personality, your style, your essence, based on your collection.

Beautiful and romantic!

You are so kind. Truly.
Thank you, a million times over.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
What kind of knucklehead posts a million pics and still forgets to add the most important piece? I’m such a gooseberry.

Here’s my great-grandmother’s pocket watch with its lovely inscription. I had been searching for years to find a sturdy-enough chain to hang it from because it is heavy.

Meanwhile I slipped a spring-ring closure onto Charlotte (the Georgian-style drop) and popped it on the chain, just for jollies.

6BEC80DA-A7F9-4783-A2D3-E096D124A427.jpeg D524C4BC-8F0A-4451-BF63-C0997D5DF502.jpeg 86025E39-3DC4-4FFE-8C32-1D4DB165990A.jpeg 6DB9E25C-FCA8-4FDB-A80D-A34A3D1569E8.jpeg

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for your kind words!
There are two, one is a (probably natural) sapphire signet ring in 18k called Beverly. I only wear her in the office because I’m afraid of my own carelessness. She’s the first sapphire I have ever had.

The other ring is 14k rose gold, marked and tested - but unnamed! I can’t think of anything that describes her. Feel free to make suggestions! Sold to me as Spinel but I don’t know how to tell if natural or synthetic. (Time for me to look that up!) I incidentally hadn’t realized until the first time I wore her that she’s slightly Sugarloaf. I love a cabochon, and I’ve never had a narrow-top shape cabochon before.

As a knitter, I absolutely ADORE this ring!! :kiss2:

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
I am in awe. What an exceptional collection but the taxonomy is what makes it! Thanks so much for sharing. Now I want you to come over and do my closet! Although I only wear dresses so maybe not so much capsules as capsule!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve been looking forward to finding enough uninterrupted time to go through this thread properly all weekend!! :appl:

Your first capsule. Well. I see why it’s your most worn. :love: Simple enough to go with any outfit - but at the same time enough to keep up with any outfit. Yes to foil backed rosies in this style usually being tiny!! Yours definitely have unusual presence! Grannie-chic to savage-sultry. I’m so stealing that line :bigsmile:

How do you keep the chain draped to layer in three lengths like that - is there a clip at the back?

Second capsule. That chunky paperclip delight. I confess that’s where my eyes go first. I’ve had trouble with paperclip chains - any very large link chains with long flat links - they can be a bit challenging in terms of fit around the curve of the wrist. I think I know what you mean. This one has more than enough drama to stand out around the neck. :cool2:

The opals, how often do you wear those?

Third capsule. The cameo is beautiful. I saw an incredible earring+pendant set of portrait miniatures on IG a couple weeks ago and yup, I went down that rabbit hole… Whole new appreciation for portraiture in jewellery.

See this is what I love about PS. So many ideas!! I can honestly say that I’ve never thought to just leave clasps and dog clips empty. But… Why the heck not? They don’t look “unfinished”, they look “deliberately absent” - effect is sultry and memorable :love: savage-sultry. Indeed!

Am I correct in remembering that you make your own silver jewellery? That silver chain - is that one of yours?

Your grandfather’s capsule. #Adulting once a week, that’s the life :lol: So is Athena in coral or ivory, d’you happen to know?

If I may - some pearl drops would be a marvellous addition to this capsule. On short danglies - like your rose cuts. Ohhhh and what if you did natural pearls!?

Etruscan revival. This is my favourite capsule so far. If I saw you at the coffee shop and you told me you were a museum acquisitions coordinator for a Decorative Arts gallery in London - I wouldn’t think twice. But I’d probably be too intimidated to ask about any of the spoils :lol:

But what are the earrings for this capsule? ::)

When I style I tend to be… Let’s be honest here, I’m kind of unimaginative with my combinations. Same themes, or same jewellery house, or same design elements. But then I see other people pair coral beads with chunky chains and solid bangles and it works, and that really IS inspiring.

Your great grandmother’s watch chain collection. I could see the agate pin in here. In a literal hat - a hat for a sundress, that fits right?

Please tell me you wear her pocket watch. What a special piece. I have nearly nothing in the way of inherited pieces - and the few I will get one day, I won’t have any freedom to resize or remount, even the pieces that aren’t safe to actually wear. They’re to be preserved exactly as is forevermore. That’s part of why I “collect” now - I want great grandkids to inherit pieces they can have fun with without fearing the wrath of my ghost. I’m thinking I’m going to have to start organizing things into styling sets rather than “all bracelets here”, “all earrings there”.

And, okay, imagine if the great grandkids actually inherited those sets as-is - they’d get see how we actually wore our pieces, back in the 21st century - I love this idea!! :love:

You’ve put so much love and knowledge into your collection. IG is full of millionaires who collect everything under the sun… But I often wonder how much they know, or care, about the things they collect. Beyond buying and unboxing and owning. That you care enough to explore… Makes our peek into what you’ve collected that much more special, thank you for sharing @PreRaphaelite ::)

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
ANSWERS IN RED

I’ve been looking forward to finding enough uninterrupted time to go through this thread properly all weekend!! :appl:

Your first capsule. Well. I see why it’s your most worn. :love: Simple enough to go with any outfit - but at the same time enough to keep up with any outfit. Yes to foil backed rosies in this style usually being tiny!! Yours definitely have unusual presence! Grannie-chic to savage-sultry. I’m so stealing that line :bigsmile:

How do you keep the chain draped to layer in three lengths like that - is there a clip at the back?
There's no clip - I sometimes wear it only doubled, so then it hangs longer. My nature is to play with my necklace all the time so there's an unconscious habit of sliding it back into alignment. I never feel it choking me but I'll just smooth it by pulling the shorter length down when it gets uneven. So far so good!

Second capsule. That chunky paperclip delight. I confess that’s where my eyes go first. I’ve had trouble with paperclip chains - any very large link chains with long flat links - they can be a bit challenging in terms of fit around the curve of the wrist. I think I know what you mean. This one has more than enough drama to stand out around the neck. :cool2:
Thanks, I know what you mean about the long links. They really look better on the neck but sometimes I want a whole armful of jingly jangly jewellery.
The opals, how often do you wear those?
I chose these for daily wear with masks, so about twice a week, since that's all the time I go out shopping or running errands, etc. They're also fine for sleeping in as the posts are substantial and the studs are so small. I really can't tell if they are natural opal or some kind of synthetic. Honestly I bought them for the settings, which are just adorable, and I had delusions of grandeur thinking I would send them off to have some OECs put in. (Can you imagine how any vendor would roar with laughter!?! The eye-rolls would make an optometrist blush.) Here's the original link: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/in-which-“sweet”-was-not-an-epithet-edwardian-rose-gold-opal-studs-or-how-to-disguise-earring-ennui-as-minimalism.260745/#post-4839536

Third capsule. The cameo is beautiful. I saw an incredible earring+pendant set of portrait miniatures on IG a couple weeks ago and yup, I went down that rabbit hole… Whole new appreciation for portraiture in jewellery.
Yes I agree! The V&A has such an amazing permanent collection of portrait miniatures! Naturally I had to buy the book. I can't be the only person who feels like they single handedly keep museum gift shops alive. https://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/portrait-miniatures
See this is what I love about PS. So many ideas!! I can honestly say that I’ve never thought to just leave clasps and dog clips empty. But… Why the heck not? They don’t look “unfinished”, they look “deliberately absent” - effect is sultry and memorable :love: savage-sultry. Indeed!
Thank you for sharing my opinion! I love a group of charms hanging but the dog clip itself is such an oddity - almost iconic in design - and they aren't really made any more. It feels anachronistic, but in a good way. Does that make us "Hipsters"?
Am I correct in remembering that you make your own silver jewellery? That silver chain - is that one of yours?
With regret, I don't make anything from scratch; I just perform Assemblage, if you would permit the term. I think maybe @stracci2000 does that miraculous work!

Your grandfather’s capsule. #Adulting once a week, that’s the life :lol: So is Athena in coral or ivory, d’you happen to know?
Athena seems to be Sardonyx or Onyx, as the black is visible from the side view, creeping up onto the white. I'm confident that the cameo is not a marriage of two different layers but is made from one solid block, and rather well-carved. She seems to have a tiny chip missing from the end of her nose, but at her age who wouldn't have some war wounds!
If I may - some pearl drops would be a marvellous addition to this capsule. On short danglies - like your rose cuts. Ohhhh and what if you did natural pearls!?
I would happily trade an arm for some natural pearls but vendors always say, "Visa or MasterCard, madam?" so I guess 'barter' has died out. Shame. I thought that's why they're called "in the trade" but I guess not? :lol: However I did snag some earrings which should be arriving soon to replace the pearl studs (which in theory worked with the capsule but in practice are just "meh"). Pic shown below.

Etruscan revival. This is my favourite capsule so far. If I saw you at the coffee shop and you told me you were a museum acquisitions coordinator for a Decorative Arts gallery in London - I wouldn’t think twice. But I’d probably be too intimidated to ask about any of the spoils :lol:

But what are the earrings for this capsule? ::)
An excellent point - I'm trying to find a pair of Girandoles without selling a kidney. Wish me luck. And why am I so thirsty after writing that.
When I style I tend to be… Let’s be honest here, I’m kind of unimaginative with my combinations. Same themes, or same jewellery house, or same design elements. But then I see other people pair coral beads with chunky chains and solid bangles and it works, and that really IS inspiring.
<3

Your great grandmother’s watch chain collection. I could see the agate pin in here. In a literal hat - a hat for a sundress, that fits right?
Yes indeed! On the other hand, maybe I could set it as a charm for the dog clip? The gold color is a match already.
Please tell me you wear her pocket watch. What a special piece. I have nearly nothing in the way of inherited pieces - and the few I will get one day, I won’t have any freedom to resize or remount, even the pieces that aren’t safe to actually wear. They’re to be preserved exactly as is forevermore. That’s part of why I “collect” now - I want great grandkids to inherit pieces they can have fun with without fearing the wrath of my ghost. I’m thinking I’m going to have to start organizing things into styling sets rather than “all bracelets here”, “all earrings there”.
I do wear it once I a while, but especially every year on February 24th, which was her birthday and the date she was given the watch. I do a crown braid that day too, because she wore them even after her auburn hair went silver. As an aside, I'm lucky to have the 'provenance trifecta' (the object, a photo of the owner wearing it, and the diary entry from the day she received it). I suspect in the box of family archives there hides an original receipt. I'll post more pics.
And, okay, imagine if the great grandkids actually inherited those sets as-is - they’d get see how we actually wore our pieces, back in the 21st century - I love this idea!! :love:
Sure, like a snapshot of style - of course the generations skip in aesthetic taste so the next gen will be less smitten with our Elan, than the 2nd gen... they will be thrilled at the treasure their parents passed down from grandparents! I certainly am. And grateful that more of it was not destroyed, and that I had the great good fortune to know my ancestors and am able to hold their things in my hand (some a century or more later). Wearing them makes me feel connected to them, and since I'm the last to carry my family name and I have no kids, I'm the last stop on the journey, in a sense. Maybe that's why the idea of preservation means so much to me. I hope my niece, who will inherit my bling, will understand the enormous weight of meaning in these few grams of gold.

You’ve put so much love and knowledge into your collection. IG is full of millionaires who collect everything under the sun… But I often wonder how much they know, or care, about the things they collect. Beyond buying and unboxing and owning. That you care enough to explore… Makes our peek into what you’ve collected that much more special, thank you for sharing @PreRaphaelite ::)

Thank you so much for what you wrote @yssie!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
i love your capsules
when i first read about them on here it seemed like it was a one and done thing
but @PreRaphaelite i love all of yours :kiss2:
ive never seen a square camo before
i love it

all your things go so well together
you have a fantastic eye

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow. The final thought after getting to the end was “art curator” more than anything else. Gotta go through this thread again. Thank you so much for sharing.

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
This is a beautiful thread! Thank you for sharing. You've inspired me to think about what jewels I like to wear together and what clothing would look good in those jewels. You know us PSers...jewels are the priority!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/in-which-“sweet”-was-not-an-epithet-edwardian-rose-gold-opal-studs-or-how-to-disguise-earring-ennui-as-minimalism.260745/#post-4839536
These are beautiful! I see why you fell for the mounts :love:

Yes I agree! The V&A has such an amazing permanent collection of portrait miniatures! Naturally I had to buy the book. I can't be the only person who feels like they single handedly keep museum gift shops alive. https://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/portrait-miniatures
You aren't! I can't not buy the ridiculous little baggie of bin "gemstones" they've always got :lol: Your book habit is of muchg higher class :bigsmile:
This was the set that sent me down the rabbit hole. Just stunning. The price is commensurately ghastly. [This] girl can [only day]dream...
https://galerielydiarupp.com/collections/earrings/products/antique-napoleon-iii-earrings-and-pendant

Athena seems to be Sardonyx or Onyx, as the black is visible from the side view, creeping up onto the white. I'm confident that the cameo is not a marriage of two different layers but is made from one solid block, and rather well-carved. She seems to have a tiny chip missing from the end of her nose, but at her age who wouldn't have some war wounds!
Oh!! Lovely! Didn't occur to me! Worthy of her battle scars, indeed ❤️

As an aside, I'm lucky to have the 'provenance trifecta' (the object, a photo of the owner wearing it, and the diary entry from the day she received it). I suspect in the box of family archives there hides an original receipt. I'll post more pics.
This so special!! Yes please do :love:

I'll be on the lookout for some natural pearls. I can't remember where but I feel like I've seen rather nice ones at unusually reasonable pricepoints lately...

GemmaBella

Shiny_Rock
Stunning antique collection! You have great taste in jewels! I have a small Victorian collection and some Edwardian pieces as well, so this is right up my alley.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
@PreRaphaelite How did the hoops work out? Enquiring minds want to know.

Thanks for asking! I’m super happy with them. They are much like the old watch-chain C-clasps with spring slide closures, except the post the the thing that slides. This means they are mounted from the rear, to hide the slot, if you see. They’re also slightly directional, designed so that they slope, and I’m pleased that they can hang flatter forward or stick out more to the side as the day calls for. Also they’re hollow, so lightweight. I think we can cal them Square Doric columns, but let me know what you think?

4104BBB0-6986-4C73-85A2-B0FBADCBAA5F.jpeg B6C8C1D3-32E6-4459-B88D-20E8827FD9E2.jpeg 6D52B9BF-AB9D-42FB-A6F4-375593ADA1F6.jpeg E8AE3A8A-36FA-4D32-A9F6-6556AA086F00.jpeg 55659DC3-9C43-4010-94B5-674F440799F4.jpeg 5F2BD226-8329-47A9-A2A8-5BF08569E89F.jpeg B97D8101-00E1-4BF5-96E1-2078168CAC20.jpeg

In other news, I’ve decided that the Athena needs a more substantial chain, so I’m on the hunt for a twisted foxtail chain in 14k yellow, about 19-20”.

Also there are 2 new necklaces on the way and oh boy am I excited about that! If I play my cards right, two of the capsules will be combined! I hope I don’t wind up looking like Mr. T.
Ha!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for asking! I’m super happy with them. They are much like the old watch-chain C-clasps with spring slide closures, except the post the the thing that slides. This means they are mounted from the rear, to hide the slot, if you see. They’re also slightly directional, designed so that they slope, and I’m pleased that they can hang flatter forward or stick out more to the side as the day calls for. Also they’re hollow, so lightweight. I think we can cal them Square Doric columns, but let me know what you think?

4104BBB0-6986-4C73-85A2-B0FBADCBAA5F.jpeg B6C8C1D3-32E6-4459-B88D-20E8827FD9E2.jpeg 6D52B9BF-AB9D-42FB-A6F4-375593ADA1F6.jpeg E8AE3A8A-36FA-4D32-A9F6-6556AA086F00.jpeg 55659DC3-9C43-4010-94B5-674F440799F4.jpeg 5F2BD226-8329-47A9-A2A8-5BF08569E89F.jpeg B97D8101-00E1-4BF5-96E1-2078168CAC20.jpeg

In other news, I’ve decided that the Athena needs a more substantial chain, so I’m on the hunt for a twisted foxtail chain in 14k yellow, about 19-20”.

Also there are 2 new necklaces on the way and oh boy am I excited about that! If I play my cards right, two of the capsules will be combined! I hope I don’t wind up looking like Mr. T.
Ha!

That cameo.......be still my heart!!:kiss2:

lala646

Brilliant_Rock

Ha!
The earrings look wonderful on you! And I've never seen posts (?) that work quite like that. What a clever design! These might rank right up there for me with your opal studs with their unique screw backs as far as interesting and unique design is concerned.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Thank you!

I’ve been messing around in photos and with my lack of skill, here is as close as I can get to showing what I want to do with the Etruscan Revival pin conversion.
EE8DF800-4C32-439C-A696-2FB216C3647B.jpeg

I love that!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Thank you!
Everyone here has been so kind, and so indulgent of my ramblings :)

There are now 2 more necklaces coming and another bracelet which might supplant an existing one... muhuwhahahahaahahaaa

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
One of these is also on my wish list! They are sooooo expensive now! Or weigh nothing and are still expensive!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
One of these is also on my wish list! They are sooooo expensive now! Or weigh nothing and are still expensive!

Edit - i’m trying to reply to what Mrs. B wrote about the trombone chain and for some reason it posted two times and yet did not show as a reply. Weird.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
@mrs-b I'll be happy to weigh and measure it - and to post a suitable one if I can find any. Mine was my great-grandmother's but I'll start looking around for you!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b I'll be happy to weigh and measure it - and to post a suitable one if I can find any. Mine was my great-grandmother's but I'll start looking around for you!

I don't want to put you out to that extent, @PreRaphaelite - tho it's incredibly nice of you to offer! I love a good paperclip chain - and yours is a VERY good paperclip chain!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results