shape
carat
color
clarity

Preggo stuff, Baby Stuff, Toddler Stuff...post your best finds here!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2009 9:49:48 AM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Date: 10/9/2009 9:08:21 AM

Author: Tacori E-ring

Does anyone know if other convertible car seats (besides Britax) can be used for flying? We have aroundabout which I know I can use but need to get a seat for my MIL and figured that might as well be approved too.

Do people take their carseats when flying? I have not done this in the past... is it worthwile? We have a britax too. Right now hunter doesn''t have his own seat though, so is it for older kids?

Yes. Not everyone does but it does help keep them contained and the airline suggests it since it is the safest. I see lots of parents bringing boosters as well. Now that T will be getting her own seat I am thinking about bringing her seat. I know they make straps where you can attach the seat to a roller suit case (b/c I asked a couple about using a car seat for their toddler and they raved about it) so it is easy to carry and they sell something that kinda turns it into a stroller but seems like it might be a PITA to steer plus she is heavy and not sure she will like being so close to the ground.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2009 3:58:55 PM

Date: 10/9/2009 9:49:48 AM

Date: 10/9/2009 9:08:21 AM

Does anyone know if other convertible car seats (besides Britax) can be used for flying? We have aroundabout which I know I can use but need to get a seat for my MIL and figured that might as well be approved too.

Do people take their carseats when flying? I have not done this in the past... is it worthwile? We have a britax too. Right now hunter doesn''t have his own seat though, so is it for older kids?

Yes. Not everyone does but it does help keep them contained and the airline suggests it since it is the safest. I see lots of parents bringing boosters as well. Now that T will be getting her own seat I am thinking about bringing her seat. I know they make straps where you can attach the seat to a roller suit case (b/c I asked a couple about using a car seat for their toddler and they raved about it) so it is easy to carry and they sell something that kinda turns it into a stroller but seems like it might be a PITA to steer plus she is heavy and not sure she will like being so close to the ground.
I''ve seen those. It is like pulling a wheeled suitcase around.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can anyone recommend some brands of bottles that their BF babies liked? I have been trying Evenflo but I don''t think he likes it much.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
dreamer - We tried a few brand...playtex were horrible for us! they leaked constantly..he had more milk on his face than in his mouth I think
37.gif
We use Born Free and have been really happy w/ them...they're a little pricey though. Most of my friends have used Avent and liked those, we never tried them so I can't comment.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
If you can get them, then Tommee Tippee''s Closer to Nature are great.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/9/2009 6:53:07 PM
Can anyone recommend some brands of bottles that their BF babies liked? I have been trying Evenflo but I don''t think he likes it much.

I know everyone loves the expensive bottles-but we used the really cheap plastic Evenflo bottles! They are sooooo cheap (BPA free) and my boys love them. No need to reinvent the wheel if Hunter will take the cheapie bottles so I would try the cheapest first and go up from there personally!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We used medela and born free b/c they were the only BPA free choices when she was born. Then we switched to Nuby''s around 7 months with an evenflo nipple. You can always try just changing the nipple to see which shape he likes best.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
We use Avent and like them. We tried Doc Browns (borrowed one from a friend) and they were fine too, but more of a pain to clean.

If you get Avent, there is a converter where you can pump from the Medela directly into Avent bottles. Saves a little washing. I could only find it at drugstore.com. If you end up with the Avent let me know and I'll find the link.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
PS mommies...what do you guys use for a high chair? i would like to put one on the registry.

i like the ones that clip onto the table like the phil & teds, but i read that a lot of them only clamp onto thinner tables. the dining table we have 'right now' is an expanding so it's double thickness all the way around. but we are in the middle of potentially getting a new one which might or might not expand.

are there any recommended clip on chairs that take a thicker table? are the clip-ons even recommended? i like them because they are space saving...but are they totally safe? anyone had issues with them coming off the table? alternatively, what is a smaller high chair that stands alone or is recommended? thanks!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/10/2009 8:35:55 PM
Author: Mara
PS mommies...what do you guys use for a high chair? i would like to put one on the registry.

i like the ones that clip onto the table like the phil & teds, but i read that a lot of them only clamp onto thinner tables. the dining table we have ''right now'' is an expanding so it''s double thickness all the way around. but we are in the middle of potentially getting a new one which might or might not expand.

are there any recommended clip on chairs that take a thicker table? are the clip-ons even recommended? i like them because they are space saving...but are they totally safe? anyone had issues with them coming off the table? alternatively, what is a smaller high chair that stands alone or is recommended? thanks!

i wonder about them damaging the table...

gingerB

Shiny_Rock
infant carrier advice? thoughts on sling vs baby bjorns?

puffy

Brilliant_Rock
Re high chair: we have the boon flair and adore it. there are so many out there that it really depends on preference. would you prefer to connect it to a chair or do you care how big it is, style, features, etc?
i have a few friends who have the clip on ones and they have had no problems with safety at all.
i think the FP space saving high chair is pretty popular. another one that doesn''t take a ton of space that seems to be pretty popular is the FP one that a lot of people use for when they go out. it connects to your regular chair and that''s all it takes.

i have the ergo carrier which i used a ton when B was younger. i also had the bjorn which i used many times also. comfort wise, for ME, i prefer the ergo carrier and i just always assumed that B was more comfortable in the ergo as well.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Highchair
We also have the boon flair and absolutely love it. Meena loves it too b/c she won''t let her cousin touch it. LOL. I love how easy it is to clean. I just remove the straps and the pad to wipe down, and wash the straps and pad in the sink about once a month. I usually just wipe the tray and the seat daily.

We use the FP booster seat for restaurants, and that works fine for us. I was hesitant to use the booster seat at home b/c SILs used it for our nephews, and they were always able to kind of rock the seat. But now that we''ve been using it, I think SILs just didn''t adjust the straps to the different chairs. We also don''t have a real dining table and chairs, so that''s the other reasons we don''t use the booster at home.

Our friends have the clip on seats, and love it.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Echoing Puffy and Qtie... We have and love the Boon Flair and the Ergo carrier. I have a Bjorn too and like the Ergo much better.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
We love our Boon Flair. I think I started a PS trend
2.gif
My parents have the FP spacesaver seat and the only thing that worries me is she will try to push her feet off the table (all the time) and I am so worry one of these days she will fall straight back. Also it is not as easy to clean as the boon and the tray doesn''t fit in smaller dishwashers. I love that the boon comes with (2!) tray liners and there are no cracks to get food caught in. Love that it is on wheels as well. But it is NOT what I would consider space saving. My friend had the chicco clip on chairs and HATED them. She claimed they were IMPOSSIBLE to keep clean. She is also a neat freak though and her boys seem like extra messy eaters.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess we are cheap-we have the $15 Ikea high chairs! I couldn't justify spending $300 on a high chair (esp. when I needed two!) so we got these ones because they are just basic white and pretty modern looking. Honestly they are pretty great for a no frills chair! They don't recline or anything fancy but you can hose them down in the backyard because they are just plastic and metal.
3.gif

But if you are willing to spend the $ the flair is pretty darn cool!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
NF you bring up a point I was wondering about re: the chairs that look like they are basically a car seat (padding, quilting, fabric, etc etc) vs then the more industrial metal and plastic ones that I prob had when I was little. Are the former just supposed to be more comfy for the kid? I would lean towards less frills ideally and def do not want to pay $300 for a high chair. More like $80. Maybe. Anyway thanks for the recommends, I will check them out, I assume FP means Fisher Price?

re: carriers, from what a lot of Mom''s told me it''s hugely personal and can have something to do with your body type. The slings seem good for the baby in the very beginning but also I have read if you have big boobs that the slings can get in the way and then it''s not very comfy to wear at all. If you are slight of frame I read that most Mom''s liked the slings. (When I say sling I mean the fabric ones like the Peanut Shell). Bjorn was the favorite of almost every Mom I know in real life and also Greg can wear it too (whereas he won''t wear the peanut sling!) so I got a peanut sling for $20 on sale to try out but also got the Bjorn for both of us to use longer-term. Someone just bought it on our registry so I am excited to make Greg try it on!
3.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 12:24:20 PM
Author: Mara

I didn''t find the slings very comfy (I do have big boobs so that could be it) and my boys both didn''t like it either. But they like the baby bjorns-go figure! I do think it''s personal so don''t spend too much $ you can''t get a refund on if you can help it!

As for the high chairs-yes the big "fluffy" ones are just more padded. But harder to clean IMO! Mine I can literally hose down which is fantastic with two to clean. And they seem comfy in them so I am not going to stress about it.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2009 4:08:00 AM
Author: TanDogMom
Echoing Puffy and Qtie... We have and love the Boon Flair and the Ergo carrier. I have a Bjorn too and like the Ergo much better.
ditto

gingerB

Shiny_Rock
talking to some other "real life moms"
2.gif
seems like the ergo is pretty popular -- more comfy and ergonomic than the bjorn, which is important esp for me because i have a weak back (s-shaped spine, not quite scoliosis but does occ act up). the ergo is supposed to distribute the baby''s weight more around the hip than the shoulders, which is going to be key. i was a bit bummed gingerbaby wouldn''t be able to sit facing outwards if we front carried but it didn''t seem to be a big deal. and i like the extra pocket bit! i think we''re going to register for the ergo.

got most of my registry done yesterday! man that was hard work! but i''m super excited to have that bit done and out of the way. whew. now on to my next bit o'' nesting frenzy -- re-arranging the furniture. hubby is soooo loving this. not.
3.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
NF, hey it is only $180
2.gif
I *heart* it. But I actually do like Ikea''s and had I seen those first I might have just gone with their high chair. Of course since I only needed one it was easier to justify. You could hose off the boon too. So easy to clean.

T HATED slings. Hated. I think it really depends on the baby. She didn''t like her view to be restricted. Pretty bossy from the start.
3.gif

Burk

Ideal_Rock
My T didn''t like slings, either. She did like the Bjorn, though.

re: highchairs we have both a clip on one and a regular high chair. Our kitchen is huge so the clip on is on the breakfast bar and the regular we keep in the corner of the eat-in area and use it to pull up to the table for meals. I LOVE the clip on one for snacks and keeping her entertained while I''m cooking. She still (at 21 months) sits in it and colors and plays. I don''t feed her dinner in it, though, because it isn''t easy to clean and I''d rather not mess with it. Our regular high chair is an evenflo. It''s nothing special but it was around $100 and it''s neutral (browns and tans) and I didn''t want to pay a fortune for a high chair.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
GingerB, it sounds like you''ve decided, but I''d like to put in yet another vote for the Ergo! It''s definitely my favorite. I''ve had back surgery before and have to watch what I do with it, but as you said it distributes most of the weight around your hips and so it isn''t bad at all. You''re not supposed to splay the baby''s legs in it until their spine is developed enough for them to either sit on their own or grab their feet during diaper changes and the like, so you will need something else for the first 4-6 months. They sell an infant insert, but I personally prefer a Moby Wrap when they''re really little.

NF, I''m glad to hear that you like the Ikea high chairs. We haven''t bought one yet (they''re bulky enough that we''re waiting until after we move) but that''s the one that we were thinking of going with.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve been an ergo fan for ages (I think I recommended here on this thread very early on.) I still can easily use it on Amelia (although there''s really no need to anymore). It''s not the best for a really young infant, but with the insert, it''s definitely doable. They also have great resale value.

Mara, keep the receipt on the bjorn and try it out with the kid indoors before you take it out. Some kids are really picky about where they will be contained!
1.gif
Also, it''s such a different animal when there actually is a squirmy, moving child in those things...even with the Ergo, it sometimes pulls and twists in ways that aren''t the most comfortable when she''s moving this way and that so she can see things.

High chair, I like the FP space saver. Ugly but functional. I don''t use the dishwasher, so no probems there. Had no issues with it whatsoever.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for the additional info ladies... greg is a big fan of the ''hose off the chair'' thing.. i''ll have to check out the ikea one. we are a bit space constrained so i can''t get anything too gigantic. we def don''t want anything quilted or hard to clean.

TG i will def keep the receipt (assuming one comes with it!) and we''ll test it out. greg LOVED carrying PORTIA in the ''pet pocket'' when she was a puppy and couldn''t go on the ground so he will be a happy bjorn carrier i imagine.
3.gif
i know a few moms who just loved it, but we''ll see what the kid thinks!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Highchairs - I have the Bloom Fresco - It''s wonderful and takes them from birth (Daisy slept in it during the day when she was tiny and now plays in it) to about 7. Super easy to clean as it''s egg shaped and there''s nowhere for food to get stuck, and lovely to look at. Hideously expensive, but I stalked eBay for a couple of months and got a pretty much brand new one for less than half retail from a Lebanese diplomat who was being sent back to Lebanon at short notice.

My second choice would have been the Stokke Tripp Trapp as it lasts a lifetime - DH''s cousins have them for the whole family as adults can comfortably use them as well.

I forget where I read it, but the one''s that clip onto tables aren''t recommended for ''permanent'' use.

Slings - I have the Bjorn Active which has the extra lumbar support. It is pretty comfortable and I can even managed to breastfeed her in it - very useful at times! Recently we got the winter cover that fits over to keep them warm and Daisy seems to like that a lot - you can use it both facing inwards and outwards.

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
For a high chair we just got one that straps to a chair http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2508005. We don''t have a large dining area, so it made the most sense. The "padding" is plastic coated, so it can be wiped down easy, and we haven''t had any issues with him wiggling around in it.

Kyle also hated the sling. I only tried it once, but he liked being upright, so a carrier made him a lot happier.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I''m probably responding late but I have to say that I absolutely hate our Bjorn. Sophia just dangles from it so I feel like I constantly have to massage her legs. Her arms also don''t stick out of it well. One does but the other does this funny twisted thing. Also, no matter how much I adjust her head keeps banging into my chest (which a. hurts her and b. makes her want to feed lol). We haven''t returned/sold it because I think it''ll be much better once she can sit in it forward facing. I think she''ll really enjoy it then.

I''m in the process of looking into a moby. I really want a carrier that I can nurse in without having to take her out and readjust. I nurse in public all the time but it''s getting harder to do since Sophia absolutely hates being under the cover.

vizsla

Brilliant_Rock
mara - i have the phil&teds clip on seat and it was one of my fav. registry items! we have a custom-made THICK white oak reclaimed barn wood dining table (a la the big sur from crate and barrel) and the clip on chair fits great - no problem. the elements that touch the table are padded on the top and DH cut some felt for the bottom mechanism so it wouldn't damage our table. however, until baby can sit upright we won't be using it
7.gif
we also got a high chair that reclines so we can put baby in that earlier than the clip on chair. it's the baby trend. i honestly don't know how much we will be using the highchair and it seems kinda silly to have both in our smallish house... oh well, time will tell.

a few friends of mine have the bjorn and love it. personally, i think it's really expensive. we got the kelty carrier (on sale sale at REI) and a peanut sling - and if you are at all handy there are tons of sites that tell you how to make your own moby wrap if baby doesn't like a sling :) and since baby isn't here i can't comment on what carrier it's going to like - but like all the recommendations.. i'm saving my receipt for the carriers and highchair etc. and not opening until needed.

:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results