shape
carat
color
clarity

Preggo stuff, Baby Stuff, Toddler Stuff...post your best finds here!!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
so, I''m wondering how useful the quilt that comes with crib bedding sets are? We aren''t supposed to use any kind of blankets, pillows, so when does the quilt get used? Or when is it ok for the baby start using blankets?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2008 1:03:59 PM
Author: janinegirly
so, I''m wondering how useful the quilt that comes with crib bedding sets are? We aren''t supposed to use any kind of blankets, pillows, so when does the quilt get used? Or when is it ok for the baby start using blankets?

Honestly, the bedding sets are mostly decorative. The quilt that came with our set is on my glider. You could use it for the baby to play on. I do use everything else it came with (valence, crib skirt, fitted sheet, and diaper stacker). T has started using a thin flannel blanket (8 months) mostly at DH''s insistence. The SIDS risk is pretty much over at 6 months.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
thanks tacori, you''re the best!
emsmile.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 9:31:44 AM
Author: janinegirly
thanks tacori, you''re the best!
emsmile.gif

9.gif

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Could you guys help me with a stroller question on behalf of a friend? I know there are many stroller gurus here!

Her baby is an infant just starting to outgrow the snap-n-go. They are considering Bugaboo Frog and Bob revolution. They will use it mostly for suburban life (walks, errands) so it needs to fold up for the car easily. She also jogs and so she likes that function of the BOB. She is leaning towards BOB because

- can use for longer - accomodates larger child
- can use for jogging too
- Costs quite a bit less
- Seems really easy to maneuver

But she also likes the Bug because
- Really cute (main reason!)
- May be easier to fold/lighter weight/more streamlined
- Has bassinet feature, although her baby will not need that for much longer
- Not sure it is worth the extra cost though, and especially because she still may end up buying an inexpensive jog stroller

She told me that from online reviews most people that have each stroller are happy. She saw the BOB in person and liked it but she has not seen the Bug in person yet. I told her I'd post here and see what you guys thought. I think she also may look at Peg Perego, Quinny and UppaBaby if I am remembering right.

Thanks so much!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
TanDog, I was just talking to my neighbor and she said she LOVED her Zooper (I think it is also a 3 wheeled stroller) so much better than her BOB. Granted her BOB is a double but she seems unimpressed with it. Not meaning to throw another brand into the mix....I just got the Mcclaren Volo and love it (it is an umbrella)

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
TanDogMom, I can speak on the Bugaboo Frog. I absolutely love it and think it is worth every penny for me! BUT, I live in a big city and it is my sole means of transportation for my child. If I lived in the suburbs and had to get in and out of a car, I don''t think I would recommend this stroller. It folds in 2 parts (you have to take the seat off) and it''s not the easiest fold nor is it very compact so it''s not so great to put in a trunk if you have other stuff in there. It''s definitely cute and fairly lightweight but if she''s planning to just use it for errands and short walks, I would probably say that she should get something smaller with an easy fold and less expensive (like a Maclaren or Peg Perego) and then maybe the Bob for jogging. TGal and Diver both love their Bobs so hopefully they will chime in. Your friend should probably bite the bullet and go and "test drive" a bunch of different strollers at a store. It''s overwhelming but probably the best way to make a decision. Of course, this is just my opinion but I hope it helps a little bit!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Tacori, thank you! I will definitely tell my friend about the Zooper and the MacLaren Volo. I have not heard her mention either of those. Now, would the MacLaren stroller be appropriate for your only stroller (aside from jogging) after the kid is too big for the infant carseat/snap and go? I think she wants one stroller to accomodate as many purposes as possible, to save space and money.

Curly, thank you for your review of the Bug! I will let her know about the folding issue - I am not sure if she knew it was difficult to fold. That seems like it would be a big inconvenience for suburban life. Maybe that is why we don't see very many of them around here. She got the Bug recommendation from her NYC friends - that would make a lot of sense. Actually, I think she said she had not found a store here that sells them and that is why she did not try it in person yet. She likes the snap n go a lot so she has not been too worried about the regular stroller yet, but it's getting to be time b/c her son is outgrowing the snap and go. I'll mention both Peg Pereggo and MacLaren as alternatives.

Thanks again! I know my friend will appreciate all the info! I think she is getting overwhelmed with all the reviews online but I will point her to this thread and tell her how knowledgeable and smart the PS moms are! I just went back and read all the stroller discussion earlier in this thread - very helpful, and I know she will appreciate it.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
TDM, I feel like I can give you a fair review, as I have the BOB and my friend has the Bugaboo cameleon and we hang out a lot together. We go to Stroller Strides and also hang out around town doing shopping and eating out. Here are the pros of each...

BOB:
- One piece fold (but terrible as far as no click shut feature. Diver will say that the velcro tie does the trick, but personally I don''t think it''s enough and it''s annoying)
- Steers like a dream and a smooth ride. Better than the bugaboo, no contest (my friend agrees here).
- Huge canopy (better than Bug)
- Higher weight limit

Bugaboo (Cameleon)
- Bigger undercarriage basket with easier access (the BOB SUCKS in this regard). Keep in mind the Frog has a smaller basket.
- More versatile recline positions
- Can have baby facing you or away from you
- More compact than BOB

BOTH strollers are not light (bugaboo is lighter when you consider the seat and frame separately) and take up a fair bit of room in the car.

If she were only to get ONE stroller, for what she wants to do, I''d pick the bugaboo. It''s good for walks and MUCH better for suburban outings like shopping (because of the basket and size) or meeting friends at restaurants. There is no way I''d take the BOB to a restaurant willingly. It can''t even get through some restaurants easily if they are cramped. A lot of infants also like seeing their mothers, but more importantly, moms like seeing their babies! Sometimes I wish I could push the BOB and see my kid at the same time (the top window on the BOB really is only useful to make sure bubs is OK.

Now, my personal choice (and what I did) was to buy the BOB for all my walking, running, long days at the zoo, etc. Then I got a Maclaren Quest on craigslist for $100 (a deal). I will use the Maclaren when I retire the SnG so right now I am using two strollers as well. It still comes out less than the Bugaboo and I like having the lightweight easy stroller for running quick in and out errands and for restaurants.

Even if she paid full price for the Quest ($200 - or she could consider a Triumph which is cheaper. I would not suggest a volo because it''s nice to have the recline), and she got the BOB on sale (not unusual for REI to run 20% off), she could get both strollers for about $500. Cheaper than the Bug and she''d have more options depending on what she wants to do that day.

Bugaboo AND a jogger? Ugh no...too many bulky strollers then.

Hope that helps!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal,

Thanks for a wonderfully thorough and thoughtful review. I am sure this will be a huge help to my friend. I guess she will need to weigh the pros and cons of multiple stollers, storage and space issues with the BOB, and the foldability issue of the Bug (and BOB too, different issue). I just looked up the MacLaren Quest and that looks really nice and substantial. Do you find it has enough room underneath for your stuff? My other friend has the more simple MacLaren (volo??) which I think she uses primarily for travel. I didn''t realize that MacLaren makes a substantial everday stroller too. Maybe that will be the best thing for day to day and then the BOB for jogging (if she plans on jogging enough to also want a jog stroller). Then she will have 2 good looking, well made strollers, and save $ over the Bugaboo Frog.... that sounds like a winning combination to me! She has the closet space to accomodate 2 strollers... I think she just liked the idea of a one-stroller-fits-all.

Ironically, I was just at lunch and saw two moms together with different MacLarens... felt like asking them if they liked them but didn''t want to seem like a stroller-stalker!

I have obviously caught the stroller-fever because I am taking much more interest in my friend''s stroller search than she is!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
True the volo does not recline but at a certain age I don''t think that is a big deal. It is so light and small. If she is used to a SNG she is going to have a hard time adjusting to some of those bigger strollers. If it is just for quick errands that is what I would get and then a Jogger for home.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/30/2008 3:18:59 PM
Author: TanDogMom
TravelingGal,

Thanks for a wonderfully thorough and thoughtful review. I am sure this will be a huge help to my friend. I guess she will need to weigh the pros and cons of multiple stollers, storage and space issues with the BOB, and the foldability issue of the Bug (and BOB too, different issue). I just looked up the MacLaren Quest and that looks really nice and substantial. Do you find it has enough room underneath for your stuff? My other friend has the more simple MacLaren (volo??) which I think she uses primarily for travel. I didn''t realize that MacLaren makes a substantial everday stroller too. Maybe that will be the best thing for day to day and then the BOB for jogging (if she plans on jogging enough to also want a jog stroller). Then she will have 2 good looking, well made strollers, and save $ over the Bugaboo Frog.... that sounds like a winning combination to me! She has the closet space to accomodate 2 strollers... I think she just liked the idea of a one-stroller-fits-all.

Ironically, I was just at lunch and saw two moms together with different MacLarens... felt like asking them if they liked them but didn''t want to seem like a stroller-stalker!

I have obviously caught the stroller-fever because I am taking much more interest in my friend''s stroller search than she is!!
Tacori is right that for some, recline is not an issue. But if your friend wants it as an option, pay a bit more for the triumph.

Wanted also to add that none of the three strollers COME with a cup holder. There are plenty of aftermarket ones for the Maclaren (I believe) and Bug has one you can buy. BOB has a console which I would HIGHLY recommend. In fact, I love the BOB console so much that I have one on my SnG and will transfer that one to the Maclaren, even though those have umbrella handles.

Maclaren storage is non-existent. You can buy a caddy like thing for the back of it, but I would just get a bag you can attach to the stroller handles, keeping in mind that without the baby in it, the stroller will tip over. I would not get the Maclaren Techno (their more substantial stroller) if she gets either the bugaboo or the BOB as it''s not really that lightweight.

If storage is a huge issue for her, tell her to check out the Uppa Baby Vista. Bigger basket than the Bug and similar features.

There isn''t anything that I would consider a one size fits all stroller - BUT if she doesn''t mind the cumbersome fold of the Bugaboo and doesn''t feel like she needs a lighterweight quick fold stroller, than it is the closest thing to a one size fits all as she''s going to get.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
TGal you are funny. DH was so mad about the no cup holder. I should add that I do have the chicco full size so if I need a bigger stroller it is there but so far I don''t really need one.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hi gals! I just wanted to ask a question about the Arm's Reach Cosleeper, which I know that several of you have used. I'm trying to figure out whether the full-sized or the mini would be a better size for a single baby for the first 6 months or maybe a bit longer. We have a small bedroom so I was originally leaning toward the mini, but it's pretty darn small. Also, can I just say that I love the idea of these, but I wish that they were cuter. I feel like they must be patented or something since no one else seems to make them except Arm's Reach.

This is the mini that I think is one of the cuter ones: http://www.armsreach.com/shop-3/the-mini-convertible-7/turquoise-posie-new-60.html.

Also, could you recommend one of those glider chairs? Most of them are $300-500, but I can't see myself spending that much. Are these pretty important for the first couple months when one is constantly nursing? Thanks SO much!!

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to let every know that the UPPAbaby Vista is on sale for $549 at Babycatalog.com. They offer an additional 10% off for members ($25 annual fee), plus they have free shipping on all orders over $49. I ordered one in green – I was so happy to get it for $495. I also picked up the car seat adapter for $36 with discount.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/4/2008 1:34:19 AM
Author: peonygirl
Hi gals! I just wanted to ask a question about the Arm's Reach Cosleeper, which I know that several of you have used. I'm trying to figure out whether the full-sized or the mini would be a better size for a single baby for the first 6 months or maybe a bit longer. We have a small bedroom so I was originally leaning toward the mini, but it's pretty darn small. Also, can I just say that I love the idea of these, but I wish that they were cuter. I feel like they must be patented or something since no one else seems to make them except Arm's Reach.

This is the mini that I think is one of the cuter ones: http://www.armsreach.com/shop-3/the-mini-convertible-7/turquoise-posie-new-60.html.

Also, could you recommend one of those glider chairs? Most of them are $300-500, but I can't see myself spending that much. Are these pretty important for the first couple months when one is constantly nursing? Thanks SO much!!

I was wondering about these too. In the big one, I guess I could fit both my babies...there were a few reviews by twin moms that said they had liked it and put both babies in. So you all liked these too, huh?

It's funny that you don't think they are cute. I was all "Wow, finally something that isn't so overly CUTESIE!" I guess I better get used to cutesie, though, hm?

I've read that newborns can get easily OVERstimulated, so something without crazy monkey patterns might be a good idea in the first weeks. Does this sound right?

Oh yeah, and did any of you use those sleep positioner thingies?

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Hey IG! Yeah, I like cutsie much of the time. :) The one I posted is a lot cuter than this one, which has all of the plastic sticking out: http://www.armsreach.com/shop-3/the-mini-6/natural-30.html.

I''ve heard that sleep positioners aren''t a good idea because they can be a suffocation hazard, but maybe someone can chime in on this one.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Oh wow, Peony, thanks! I didn''t realize there was so much selection! Although the nice neutral one I saw on babiesrus might be what we end up going with anyway. We''ll see!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
OK, do any of you experienced mommies have thoughts on this UNBELIEVABLY COOL seeming device?
We're likely to have a couple of preemies (obv, they would each need their own with these things) and this would seem to make sense.

But does anything ring any loud warning bells for you?

Cocoon sleeper

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Indy

We are getting the full size arms reach too. I agree, I LOVE that it isn't cutesy looking!!! I have met a few twin moms recently who rave about them. Seems to make sense to me for the first few months for sure. They said they had no problem fitting both twins in the regular size one.

The cocoon thing scares me a bit, makes me worried that it could flip or fall for some reason! But it's probably an irrational fear...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: Sleep positioners. Yes, it is considered a suffocation risk. However, like any risk, you weigh what you are comfortable with and go with it. I know people like it for babies with reflux. My friend used it with no issues, but she also put her infant on his stomach to sleep because he ended up sleeping better that way, so she was pretty laid back when it came to SIDS recommendations.

Re: that cocoon thingie. My recommendation (especially for you IG, since you want to be pretty minimalist) is not to spend too much money on anything they will use to sleep in when they are tiny. They outgrow them quickly. I would just get a crib, and if you want the baby closer to you, a bassinet. Amelia was out of her bassinet by week 5 (although plenty of people use cosleepers for months). I know that cocoon thing says it's to 25 pounds, but I wouldn't want to put a 20 pounder in there.

Also, you need to harness the baby in. I would prefer that my baby not need to be harnessed in to sleep. How firm is the foundation on which the baby is sleepng in? Also, this is a personal preference, but I wouldn't want my baby to get used to motion to sleep. Or, it could have the opposite effect and disturb her because it moves when s/he does. Swaddling (which most, but not all, babies like) will help them feel secure in a crib or bassinet. And $300 (since you need 2) for someting your baby may not like? Hmm...I'm not sure I'd do it.

It looks cool in theory and your babies may love them, but I'd pass on it.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Great points, T'Gal & NF. The idea with being minimalist is as much about not taking up space as it is about money. I'm sure I would have no problem reselling these or a basinet when it was time for a crib. A crib right off is simply not practical since we won't have a separate room for the babies and we are going to be moving cities twice before the babies are 6 months old (yeah, lucky us). We'll be staying in someone else's furnished apartment first, and then in my tiny 1 bedroom apt for a month or two.

We are aiming to be in a proper settled home with a room for the babies before they are 6 months old.

So one of the things I liked about these is that they don't take up a lot of floor space and are easily portable. Then I could re-sell these and get them a proper crib (or two) once we are finally settled in.

But as for whether the babies would like them and the firmness of the mattress and stuff, that's really a worry. How do you ever know? Does Babies R Us take returns if a product doesn't work out for you? Can you trust reviews? There aren't many yet since the product is so new. We thought we would keep an eye on them over the next few months and see if moms still like them (so far the only negative I've seen is that the one made of hemp smells... DUH! But nearly all the rest are raves.)

And I could see them getting used to motion being a disaster when they are moved to a crib! ARGH!

So, lots to think about and consider. We'll probably end up going with the old fashioned clunker. Maybe I'll try to go see them both in the store in a couple of months' time. Is there a SIDS foundation that evaluates products? That might help.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
IG, have you looked into the Angelcare Baby Monitor that has a movement sensor? It can detect when a baby stops breathing, and if you''re able to stir the baby into breathing or even perform CPR (once you''ve evaluated the situation) you could save your baby''s life. I know several parents who have this and love it, and it gets pretty good reviews on babiesrus.com.

While "stuff" in the crib can be a suffocation risk, SIDS is much more complicated than that because it definitely occurs when there was no physical object impedeing the baby''s ability to oxygenate. DH mentioned recently that new research is showing that babies who die of SIDS tend to have serotonin receptor binding that was lower than normal in the brain stem. So it can be complicated.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hey Peony, I've also heard that those monitors can drive you CRAZY if they're too sensitive since there are lots of false alarms! Since they will be sleeping right beside us, I may skip that (though obviously I'll get some kind of monitor for when we're not in the room).

I was thinking today how it's funny how things seem more or less scary depending on the circumstances. For instance, while I don't want to do anything stupid and will obviously follow all the (sensible) guidelines to avoid SIDS, I'm really not that worried about it. It's not something that ever really occupies my thoughts at this point, beyond checking into whether something would be just plain stupid (like that cocoon). There's a way, way, WAY higher chance that my babies will be still-born (about 10-15% chance), have cerebral palsy (about 4%), etc. etc. So I guess SIDS is pretty low on my list of worries at this point!

I'm sure that will change once they are out in the world safe and sound! Then I'll start with the whole new set of worries!

Does anyone know if Consumers Reports looks at safety issues in their evaluations?

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
IG, the cool thing about the monitors that I mentioned is that you can adjust the sensitivity. Again I haven''t used them myself, but several moms I know have raved about them. One issue that you can have is that the baby can roll/crawl to the corner of the crib and off the pad, but by the time the baby is mobile enough to do that the peak risk of SIDS has already passed and you can just use the sound monitor part of the Angelcare.

I hope that you don''t mind me asking, but do the type of twins you''re having really have a 10-15% stillborn risk?
8.gif
I know that for mono-mono it is be scary high, but you''re not having that kind, right? You probably posted something in the pregnancy thread, but I don''t read that one.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Hi Peony, a device where you can adjust the sensitivity sounds awesome! I''m going to look into that.

As for your question, mono/di twins have an ''advertised'' risk of 25% mortality, but I''m guessing (aka hoping) that that doesn''t take into account good quality early care, vigilant monitoring, and a recent advance in the treatment of twin to twin transfusion syndrome (TTTS). I know that the risk of stillbirth with mono/di twins where there have been NO complications or indication of problems of any kind is about 3-4%. The key risk is TTTS, where, because mono/di twins share a placenta and blood supply, one of the kiddos steals all the blood from the other, causing one to die of starvation while the other dies of heart failure. The risk of that is estimated to be about 15-20%, but there''s a new surgery that can help save the twins, and it works a little over half the time... with some risk of brain damage though (hence the 4% cerebral palsy...other more minor brain damage can occur too).

So that''s where I''m getting the 10-15% number. I''m hoping that the ''official'' statistic of 25% mortality is an old stat, and not that I''m leaving out another significant risk I''m not aware of. (The mortality rate for mono/mono twins is 50%, by the way, and there is absolutely NOTHING that can be done about it).

All that on top of the usual twin risks.

So, yeah, having mono/di twins, is nowhere near as scary as mono/mono, but the risks are still very significant. The doctor said not to panic, but to understand that this won''t be a walk in the park.
40.gif
We are cautiously optimistic, and trying to dwell on the good, not the bad!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/5/2008 8:23:45 AM
Author: Independent Gal
Great points, T'Gal & NF. The idea with being minimalist is as much about not taking up space as it is about money. I'm sure I would have no problem reselling these or a basinet when it was time for a crib. A crib right off is simply not practical since we won't have a separate room for the babies and we are going to be moving cities twice before the babies are 6 months old (yeah, lucky us). We'll be staying in someone else's furnished apartment first, and then in my tiny 1 bedroom apt for a month or two.

We are aiming to be in a proper settled home with a room for the babies before they are 6 months old.

So one of the things I liked about these is that they don't take up a lot of floor space and are easily portable. Then I could re-sell these and get them a proper crib (or two) once we are finally settled in.

But as for whether the babies would like them and the firmness of the mattress and stuff, that's really a worry. How do you ever know? Does Babies R Us take returns if a product doesn't work out for you? Can you trust reviews? There aren't many yet since the product is so new. We thought we would keep an eye on them over the next few months and see if moms still like them (so far the only negative I've seen is that the one made of hemp smells... DUH! But nearly all the rest are raves.)

And I could see them getting used to motion being a disaster when they are moved to a crib! ARGH!

So, lots to think about and consider. We'll probably end up going with the old fashioned clunker. Maybe I'll try to go see them both in the store in a couple of months' time. Is there a SIDS foundation that evaluates products? That might help.
Nah, nothing will be a "disaster." A friend of mine just moved her baby to her crib after 5.5 months of sleeping in a carseat/swing. She said it took about 3 days and went smoothly.

I do trust reviews if there are a lot of them and the overwhelming majority are good. BabiesRUs has a good return policy.

Just a thought on resell though...maybe it would be harder to resell these than a bassinet because they are so new? Or it might be easier since there aren't many out there and people may look for them and buy them up fast. (Boy, that wasn't helpful was it? )

As far as portable and minimalist, did you see my post on peapods? They might work perfectly for you when the twins are young. The airmattress is firm enough and you can zip it up to make sure they stay put (although they don't move much when they are newborns) The only problem is the padding that goes inside isn't strapped down, which is a suffocation risk. I stiched some velcro in mine and it's great. However it never moved before I did that and Amelia does 360's in it. I'll go back and repost it for you. They are only 4 pounds each and pack up to nothing.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to mention the breathing monitor I''ve been using with my baby girl - if you''re going to use one (and some people dont like to) this one is simple and easy to use. It''s called Respisense. It is a little box, about the size of a matchbox. You clip it onto the front of the baby''s diaper so it''s in contact with skin. If it doesn''t pick up a breath movement in a set number of seconds, it vibrates gently to rouse the baby. If that doesn''t get him / her breathing again, it alarms. There are two sensitivity levels. The alarm is certainly loud enough to wake me even from deep sleep (immediately!) but it is pitched so as not to distress the baby.

So far, I''ve had two false alarms (diaper wasn''t fitting snugly enough and it lost contact) and one that seems to have been the real thing. Fortunately, she started to breathe again when I picked her up, but without the monitor I don''t know what would have happened. It cost £90 (about $180) and it lets me get some sleep!
|
Jen

Jas12

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t read any of this thread so i apologize if this product has already been posted (i keep wanting to go back and read but never find the time)

Cohen just got a Sophie the giraffe teether today. I have heard these imported (from france) toys are a HUGE hit with babies and Co just luvs his already. Must be the combo of soft rubber and easy to grip parts. She was expensive but all the reviews say it is worth it and it is completely safe b/c she is made with natural rubber and vegetable dye paint. I am going to pick up a few for baby shower gifts!
Here''s a link for info:

SOPHIE

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results