shape
carat
color
clarity

Precision Gem Members Only?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
It is not limited to a select few. Read his response above.

Barcelona

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 1:49:42 PM
Author: movie zombie
repeat customers are a known factor which has to be a plus for him and as a repeat customer i think a reward for early viewing is a nice gesture. gene is a great guy to deal with re stones and he wouldn''t make a change to policy if it weren''t necessary. this may be one way of making sure that those seeking info aren''t tieing up his inventory only to back out of sales.

I have to agree here. I think it''s a good idea. If people are interested in purchasing one of his stone''s and don''t see something available, they can ask him if he has any additional stones or rough. I''ve done that with him and a few of the other cutters.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I myself think everyone should have the chance. I haven''t purchased yet but I have asked to be a member.
It seems I never get to them before they are sold and if only certain people see them first then how will I ever get one?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/9/2009 3:31:12 PM
Author: autumngems
I myself think everyone should have the chance. I haven''t purchased yet but I have asked to be a member.
It seems I never get to them before they are sold and if only certain people see them first then how will I ever get one?
Autumn,
This is my main concern. How will new customers ever get a chance to purchase some nice gemstones and become a special member?

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Again, all you need to do is sign up to become a member. Am I missing something? Gene clearly says that he has not turned anyone away. Read his above post. I have not bought a stone from him and I signed up last week. If you want a stone, follow his instructions to sign up. If you are new, email him and sign up. If you are interested, email him and sign up, but don't make this into a big deal. Many companies have similar programs so what is the problem? He should not be bothered with this issue at all and for some reason rumors and inaccurate information are being spread. Sorry if I sound snippy, but this issue has snowballed into something that is not true.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 4:01:36 PM
Author: Chrono
Date: 6/9/2009 3:31:12 PM

Author: autumngems

Autumn,

This is my main concern. How will new customers ever get a chance to purchase some nice gemstones and become a special member?

That is a good point. It can be difficult- some folks just seem to be on the computer more frequently, and snap up many of the great stones.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beach,
According to Gene''s latest post, he has not yet decided: "If the overall opinion is to scrape the idea, then I will tonight."

It''s Gene''s business. How he chooses to run it is his prerogative.

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 6:52:49 PM
Author: Harriet
Beach,
According to Gene's latest post, he has not yet decided: 'If the overall opinion is to scrape the idea, then I will tonight.'

It's Gene's business. How he chooses to run it is his prerogative.
Harriet, I am not arguing with what you stated. This is what I am arguing. People were saying that they can't be members on his site because they have not bought from him. Someone even said that they were concerned that new clients would not be able to pick out new stones since they were not members. Some posters made it seem like it was an exclusive membership and that others/new people would be left out. Terms like "special member" were even used. That is not true at all. All they need to do is email him with their info. Again, if you like his stones and want to be a member, simply email him with the info that he requests on his site. If you want a chance, sign up.... Does that make sense??? You are not left out unless you want to be left out lol....
3.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beach,

People are interpreting and reacting to this statement, that''s all:
"I''m thinking of closing the membership to a certain number, and then only customers who have made purchases will be given a Membership. The intent is to give established customers a first look as a reward for their business. Right now there are just a few initial membership spots left."

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Now I understand what some people are talking aobut
1.gif
I was responding to his post in this thread and some people were responding to a post on his site. Thanks for the clarification.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 7:28:51 PM
Author: beach
Now I understand what some people are talking aobut
1.gif
I was responding to his post in this thread and some people were responding to a post on his site. Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, but his post on this thread is more up to date than the comment on his site - so I too think there is a bit of over reaction here.
We all know that rough don''t usually come in parcels of one - if a member buys one of the new stones that a non- member than likes, can''t they just email Gene like we all do now and ask for another one to be cut?

Like Beach mentioned, all of the other vendors have similiar policies, and we know that some vendors let their "favourite" clients know about the good stuff before they do anyone else, correct? Again, there is the advantage of being a valued client.
Why is this any different, because Precision has formalized that process?

And yes, even if you haven''t purchased just email and ask - you''ve nothing to lose, and Gene has said no one has been turned away..

Narwhal

Shiny_Rock
Has anyone been able to get in?

I emailed yesterday AM, but haven''t had any luck getting past the long in area. Did confirmation emails go out to know that the log in was all set?

Maybe a one log in/password for all might save him lots of admin work. Only issue is making sure no one shares it:)

I too am concerned about all the good stones getting scooped up before I get a chance to jump in the gem game.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Yes I got in. You have to log in twice.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I don't think it's a bad idea at all, especially since Gene seems to be a relatively prolific cutter (which he'll hopefully keep up!). It's difficult with a few cutters who only post 3-5 new stones every couple months, but I doubt that "all the good stones" are going to get snapped up immediately, leaving non-members with the dregs. I've bought two stones from Gene and both were on his site for a SIGNIFICANT amount of time before I purchased, notwithstanding that they're gorgeous stones. There will always be stone-buying opportunities, regardless of whether one is a member or not -- and I think it's wise business for Gene to target newly cut stones to the people he believes are most likely to buy them.

Just my $0.02.

ETA: when I first saw this topic, I was afraid he was making the whole site members-only, which I think would be a bad idea. But the sneak-preview, then things go on sale to everyone tactic is pretty tried and true, it seems.

Narwhal

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 9:54:49 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
Yes I got in. You have to log in twice.

I tried twice of each- full name, first name, no space between name... I must just still be in line for entering:)

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/9/2009 11:22:46 PM
Author: Narwhal
I tried twice of each- full name, first name, no space between name... I must just still be in line for entering:)

Same here. I can't log in. However, I did mention about the fact that there was no easy way to see the stones from the home page in my email, and the menu panel for the stones is back now. So he may have seen my email and not replied. Who knows!

Will wait and see. And admire the two stones that came in today, too.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I emailed the other day about membership and haven''t gotten a reply yet.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
I believe Gene is leaving for a rough buying trip soon. I''m not sure when though. So that may be why people are not hearing back? Just a thought.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Everyone who has emailed me as of about 10 pm eastern time last night has an login.

If you are having trouble, make sure you enter you name exactly as you gave it to me. If you gave me "Tom Jones", you can''t use, "Tom" or "Jones" or "tom jones".

Also someone had a problem using Firefox. I''m not sure what''s up with that, try using Safari or (cough.... Microsoft Internet Explorer". I have not tested it out on IE 5 or 6, and hope no one is still using either of these.

I switched over a year ago to a Mac for Windows, and would NEVER go back.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
HaHa....

Switched to a Mac in November and love it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene,
I emailed you a few days ago but haven’t received a reply as of this afternoon.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 2:37:29 PM
Author: Chrono
Gene,

I emailed you a few days ago but haven’t received a reply as of this afternoon.

Chrono, I didn''t get a reply from Gene either. I just tried to log in and it worked. Did you try to log in today??

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t receive a reply either and cannot log in using the information I provided him.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you log in twice?? You have to do it twice.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried to login and it worked.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Yes I tried to do it twice. It just tells me I don''t have a valid login.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Frankly, I''m not sure that he''s going forward with the member''s only page. He''s had the same 2 stones on that page for more than 4 days, and originally, I think it was a 4 day preview before going to a public page. Has he posted any new stones on his regular site?

Icce

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/12/2009 12:24:50 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
Everyone who has emailed me as of about 10 pm eastern time last night hasut an login.

If you are having trouble, make sure you enter you name exactly as you gave it to me. If you gave me ''Tom Jones'', you can''t use, ''Tom'' or ''Jones'' or ''tom jones''.

Also someone had a problem using Firefox. I''m not sure what''s up with that, try using Safari or (cough.... Microsoft Interuet Explorer''. I have not tested it out on IE 5 or 6, and hope no one is still using either of these.

I switched over a year ago to a Mac for Windows, and would NEVER go back.

Hey Gene!

I sent it in a few days ago. I can''t log in and I copied the login info (double checked my sent email folder). I was using firefox but I tried on Safari too and it still wouldn''t work, logged in twice etc. Gene, did you maybe accidently block my email? I am posting here cause I don''t know how else to ask you this since we can''t post emails. I was talking with you back and forth about a month ago about cutting a 10mm red garnet and then I stopped getting replies. I bought gem 854 (sapphire) if that helps you know my info to check.

thanks

beach

Brilliant_Rock
Nice new Tsavorite Garnet on his site
9.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried to log in last night and it didn''t work.
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results