shape
carat
color
clarity

pre-owned tiffany solitaire

rocky121

Rough_Rock
Hi there,

We recently found a pre-owned tiffany solitaire at a local vendor in SF and we would like to ask if $18k is a good price for a 1.45ct, G color, VVS1 ring. We don't believe in "bad juju" and she wants a tiffany ring. The pre-owned ring was purchased in mid 2012 and the condition is excellent. It is polished to look brand new, comes complete with velvet presentation box, Tiffany & Co. green box, book and also the Tiffany & Co. Diamond Certificate presented in leather folder. HCA comes out to 1.5 and AGS is 0. It has a Excellent cut, Excellent polish and Very Good symmetry.

If we go with a brand new ring from the tiffany store, we could probably get a 1.28 carat, H color, VS2 clarity for the same price.

Is $18k a good price for the pre-owned ring? What would you pick if it were you? We have been thinking about this a lot and would really appreciate it if you guys could help us out. Thank you!

Demerara

Rough_Rock
It is difficult to compare without knowing all the specs. :)
What kind of cut is it? Round or fancy shaped?
Is the setting platinum or some other metal?

Q

Queenie60

With an $18,000 budget - you owe it to yourself to look at other vendors for an equivalent stone with a "tiffany inspired" setting. Many pricescope vendors can source a stone and make a setting similar to the one you are considering. And, you may get a better stone and save some $$. Check out Whiteflash.com and compare stones to the specs of the stone you are considering. Good luck, and I hope you find what you're looking for. :wavey:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Demerara|1468130956|4053890 said:
What kind of cut is it? Round or fancy shaped?

It has to be a round because the OP wrote, "HCA comes out to 1.5.".

Fulvia

Shiny_Rock
Hey Rocky,

Most people here (including me) will say that they wouldn't pay the Tiffany premium on new or used: as Queenie mentions, you can find a better, bigger diamond at that price (or an equivalent at a lower price). But if you guys are set on Tiffany, there's not much to add EXCEPT that I would check how buying used impacts your access to all the Tiffany benefits (which is, in part, what you are paying for). For instance, I don't think you get to upgrade with a second-hand Tiffany ring, and you need to pay to have it recertified for insurance purposes. Of greatest concern is Tiffany's willingness to fix the ring should anything go wrong if you are not the original purchaser. I'd definitely get all this straight before investing.

Good luck! :wavey:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3686851.htm?source=pricescope#

I will offer this in comparison. It is 10 points larger and is a very clean VS2. This stone is a super ideal cut and I don't know what the cut specs are on the diamond you are considering. I realize that with pre owned you cannot select your clarity but VVS is overkill for clarity and I assume the price is based on that. For those specs, the price is probably not bad but you are overpaying for clarity in my opinion. This stone would leave money in your budget for a Tiffany like setting. If she got a ring like this, she could always consider a Tiffany wedding band if she really wanted part of her set to be Tiffany. Just a thought.

However, if her heart is set on having a Tiffany ring, then it might be your best route. Just make sure she understands that there are other stones out there that will give her more bang for the buck. As with any purchase, it is wise to shop around and see what else is out there. After doing that, you can make the most educated, informed purchase.

Good luck - let us know what you decide and we would love to see pictures!!

rocky121

Rough_Rock
Thank YOU for all the inputs. I truly appreciate your insights.

I did shop around and considered a tiffany inspired setting. Here some of the ones I had in mind from BN:
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06607211
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06692968
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD06711962
http://www.bluenile.com/diamond-details/LD03782275

I ordered two of those stones and they look absolutely stunning. The price is good, size is good, everything is good. She was very pleased with either of them. We then started looking around for the settings. BUT two weeks later, I realized that, I want to give her the best possible and I should give her a real tiffany solitaire because it was her dream since many years.

This is done. We have our hearts set on having a tiffany solitaire. AND sorry for confusion if I didn't make this clear on my OP.

The real questions are:
Do you think 18k is a fair price for this specific tiffany pre-owned solitaire?
Would you rather to get a lower grade, smaller size brand new tiffany solitaire?

Here are the specs for the pre-owned solitaire.
Round Brilliant, 1.45ct, 7.23 * 7.27 * 4.50mm, G color, VVS1, No fluorescence, excellent cut, excellent polish and very good symmetry.
Total Depth Percentage: 62.1 %, Table Size: 56%, Crown Height: 15.6%, Crown Angle 35.2, Star Length: 50%, Pavilion Depth: 42.8%, Pavilion AngleL 40.7, Lower Half Length: 80%, Girdle Thickness: Medium, Girdle Finish: Faceted, Culet: None.
HCA comes out to 1.5 and AGS is 0.

I agree VVS1 Clarity is one of the main reasons for the high price. But still, would you think 18k is a fair price for this specific tiffany pre-owned solitaire? I don't have a specific brand new tiffany stone picked yet. The SA told us that we could probably get a 1.28 carat, H color, VS2 clarity for 18k.

Thank you so much for your inputs. I will come back to give some more update if we have made any decisions.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blue Nile has a 1.48, G color, VVS1 clarity stone with somewhat comparable specs for $19,200 so yes, I would say that is a fair price to pay based on current diamond prices. Pre-loved is a great way to buy and save money as long as it is fine with her as well.

There is something really special about an authentic Tiffany ring though many won't pay the markup and are looking for better cut specs than some of their older rings represent. Please be sure to keep us updated on your decision and pictures please!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results