shape
carat
color
clarity

Practicing with my camera = new Malaya garnet pics

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 7:34:06 PM
Author: coatimundi
Nice shots!
Thank you Coati. BTW, I always seem to drift back to your JM e-ring thread
30.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 8:18:03 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Beautiful, and fun!! I love taking pics of my gems, and I''m figuring out new ways to get better shots out of my pathetic camera.
Yes, I had fun taking pictures of the stone. It was quite challenging to get decent shots, just kept trying different features of my camera. I went 100% manual mode with my camera, which made it even more of a challenge. I think if we keep practicing TL, we will be experts! Besides, I love it when you post pictures of your collection
30.gif

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 9:05:33 PM
Author: Gailey
Gosh, that''s pretty! What are you going to do with it?
Thank you. I want to wear it as a ring, just trying to figure out the setting. I do know I want to set it in gold.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 10:42:10 PM
Author: Chrono
Omie, have you decided on the setting yet?
Thank you for asking, but no. I was stressing out about the setting so much that I started to regret buying the stone. The photo session did relieve some of my frustration, as I remembered how much fun the stone is. After reading some threads, I emailed Nam Chai, as I believe the designer might be a good fit for this stone, but I will not get my hopes up, due to my limited budget. However, if they come up with something amazing, I am willing to expand my budget. My whole point about limiting the budget is that the stone was not all that expensive, so I do not want to go all out on the setting, but, I am a sucker for craftsmanship and design, so we will see if anything comes of it. Sorry for rambling and thank you for following my saga!
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Omie. It''s a lovely stone and it''s just begging to be set, which is why I asked. I know it''s relatively inexpensive, thus you don''t want to spend a fortune on a setting but it''s too pretty to be ignored.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2009 12:49:26 AM
Author: omieluv

Yes, I had fun taking pictures of the stone. It was quite challenging to get decent shots, just kept trying different features of my camera. I went 100% manual mode with my camera, which made it even more of a challenge. I think if we keep practicing TL, we will be experts! Besides, I love it when you post pictures of your collection
30.gif
Thank you for the kind words, I do love taking pictures of my gems, and if I ever get a new camera, I might go haywire!!

My camera washes out color to death. I find that the macro mode is not the best for taking colorful shots, but since I''ve been using the portrait setting with my macro mode, the photos have been coming out a lot better. The reason is probably because there''s more megapixels in the shot with my portrait setting. Again the detail and color are still lacking, but it was worse before.

Enjoy your beautiful stone, and please keep us posted on what you''re going to do with it. Oh, and keep experimenting with that camera - it''s fun!!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 1:43:57 PM
Author: Chrono
Thanks Omie. It''s a lovely stone and it''s just begging to be set, which is why I asked. I know it''s relatively inexpensive, thus you don''t want to spend a fortune on a setting but it''s too pretty to be ignored.
Yes, the stone is beautiful and I was reminded of its beauty when taking pictures of it the other day. For the right setting, I am willing to stretch the budget out a bit.

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/21/2009 9:59:23 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Thank you for the kind words, I do love taking pictures of my gems, and if I ever get a new camera, I might go haywire!!

My camera washes out color to death. I find that the macro mode is not the best for taking colorful shots, but since I''ve been using the portrait setting with my macro mode, the photos have been coming out a lot better. The reason is probably because there''s more megapixels in the shot with my portrait setting. Again the detail and color are still lacking, but it was worse before.

Enjoy your beautiful stone, and please keep us posted on what you''re going to do with it. Oh, and keep experimenting with that camera - it''s fun!!
For some reason, that makes sense to me, but don''t ask me why. I am not familiar with your camera, so I am unable to give you any tips. Are you able to change the white balance? The white balance could be your problem, as it needs to be adjusted depending on the lighting in the room. For instance, my camera has several settings for this feature (flourescent, light coming from above, cloudy, sunny, etc.). It could also be your f-stop too, but I do not know how much your camera allows for tinkering with advanced settings. From what you mention, it does sound like you are figuring things out and eventually, you will either get results you want, or chuck the camera at the wall and buy a new one (just kidding, as I doubt you are a violent person).

My camera has a ton of options and I fear I will never master it! To make matters worse, I am shooting in 100% manual mode, so I do not get any help from the camera. Of course, that is my choice, but I guess I like torturing myself. I do think I screwed up my macro setting when I was tinkering with the camera. For some reason, I cannot get as close as I was once before....guess I will have to pop out that instruction book after all.

As for the garnet, I have just connected with a designer, so I am hoping her prices fit with my budget. So far, she has been very sweet, but pricing talks are still to come. Will be sure to keep everyone interested informed.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results