shape
carat
color
clarity

Possible re-set and wedding band advice pls!

Carmensandiego31

Rough_Rock
Hi all,
This is my first post and I’m really looking for some advice and opinions. I have a 1.62 round that is currently set in a custom Bez Ambar design (it seems he’s not well known but I liked the blaze cut diamonds so that’s what we went for). His designs are however, not very delicate looking...at all. It’s still lovely and the blaze sparkle nicely. Here’s where I need help:

1) I’ve been thinking of setting my stone in a more “delicate” looking solid band, to make my center diamond “ pop” more and give me a simple base to pair a wedding band with. I love the look of yellow gold but I’m thinking of a 1.5 mm band setting and warping is a real concern. Platinum is a possibility here but it’s not as “romantic” as yellow gold IMO. Any advice, experience or opinions welcome here!

2) I cannot, for the life of me, find ANY wedding band that I like paired with this ring. I don’t want to detract from my center stone with another fiery blaze band. They’re also $$$$$ and don’t want to purchase another .

Any thoughts are welcome! I’m still in the “thinking” phase and not ready to pull the trigger yet so I’m gathering info and opinions. Sry for the long post and thank you for any and all help! image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is beautiful!

Carmensandiego31

Rough_Rock
I think your ring is gorgeous the way it is. If it was mine I would probably never want to touch it! But I know that might not be what you wanted to hear lol.

Haha, Thank you! I appreciate your input. What type of wedding band would you think to pair it with? I’ve been struggling so long to find one.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s gorgeous! I would leave as is! Part of the fun of pairing a ring with a band is the variety out there you have to choose from. The idea is to complement not match— and you can do so with a contrasting look—like a plain yellow gold—since you love yellow gold—if the same width and height. These are inexpensive and you can play with that option before doing a total reset.

Reactions: Kya

Carmensandiego31

Rough_Rock
It’s gorgeous! I would leave as is! Part of the fun of pairing a ring with a band is the variety out there you have to choose from. The idea is to complement not match— and you can do so with a contrasting look—like a plain yellow gold—since you love yellow gold—if the same width and height. These are inexpensive and you can play with that option before doing a total reset.

Thank you and thanks for the advice! I currently have a yellow gold band I occasionally pair it with but it’s very dainty so it looks a bit off. I’ll try your suggestion about width and height and see how I like that! Do you think the current band overwhelms the stone at all? Sometimes i feel like it doesn’t get that “pop” that stones get on plain bands...

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not at all! It’s a beautiful ring! Please post more pics bc we love pics! And also post pics of the band you have! This will be a fun thread to follow if you post pics of all your band contenders!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hi:

Sky's the limit with bands. I'd leave your ER as is--it was a great choice!

Withe pandemic it is difficult to get out to try on bands--but I'd start with Tiffany. They have a FABU selection with sooooo many style....

cheers--Sharon

Carmensandiego31

Rough_Rock
Not at all! It’s a beautiful ring! Please post more pics bc we love pics! And also post pics of the band you have! This will be a fun thread to follow if you post pics of all your band contenders!

I’ll get some more pics up with the wedding band and once I can get into stores to try some on I’ll add those as well! Thank you!

Carmensandiego31

Rough_Rock
hi:

Sky's the limit with bands. I'd leave your ER as is--it was a great choice!

Withe pandemic it is difficult to get out to try on bands--but I'd start with Tiffany. They have a FABU selection with sooooo many style....

cheers--Sharon

Do you have any thoughts or knowledge on a diamond vs solid metal band? I’m wondering if a diamond band would just scratch against the diamonds on my E-ring band? Im specifically wondering about single shared prong diamond bands. I’ll take a look at the Tiffany’s website and note some styles I might want to try, thanks for the suggestion!

Carmensandiego31

Rough_Rock

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful ring OP! As others have indicated, I would personally keep it is and play with bands or honestly, just wear it as is and wear a band on your right hand. I do not personally think that the setting overwhelms the center stone, rather, it compliments it beautifully. Can you show us the band(s) that you currently have and wear?

Carmensandiego31

Rough_Rock
Here are a few photos I snapped of my ring with my current “wedding band”. I purchased this band mostly to be worn alone as an “everyday” band, basically as a placeholder until I find an actual band while also seeing how I like yellow gold with my skin tone (I know, I’m crazy). You can hardly see it because my E-ring basically swallows it up. I love the look of dainty, but I’m concerned about longevity. Thoughts on color and pairing a solid metal with my e-ring or experience with dainty rings?

Please forgive me if these photos are obnoxiously sized, they’re straight from my phone. 0B11FB88-1060-45A5-B898-0D6ACC9BA1D0.jpeg 63F19441-55CC-423F-9B8F-56222722C8E4.jpeg 50F2E1D6-5FDB-4902-B028-ED0CE21410A0.jpeg B0FB2965-BD61-456D-8E64-C5DF803CAB00.jpeg

Carmensandiego31

Rough_Rock
What a beautiful ring OP! As others have indicated, I would personally keep it is and play with bands or honestly, just wear it as is and wear a band on your right hand. I do not personally think that the setting overwhelms the center stone, rather, it compliments it beautifully. Can you show us the band(s) that you currently have and wear?

Thank you! I put a few photos up of the band I wear. I don’t wear them together too often. Your idea of wearing a band on my right hand is actually a good one. I’ve never pulled the trigger on an actual wedding band for fear that I’d hate it with my e-ring later but that’s a good option.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I put a few photos up of the band I wear. I don’t wear them together too often. Your idea of wearing a band on my right hand is actually a good one. I’ve never pulled the trigger on an actual wedding band for fear that I’d hate it with my e-ring later but that’s a good option.

Only you will know what right for you in terms of wearing a wedding band on the same hand or the opposite but I am obsessed with your e-ring and hope that you don’t change it. It is gorgeous and unique!

The yg band that you have in my view is the perfect spacer band or one to wear on its own. I actually even like the look as is but adding another band into the mix will likely compliment it even more. Would you consider a colored band (sapphire, ruby, etc.)? If you are able to go into a store and try some bands on, I think that will be best.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love some of these suggestions for a band to go with your amazing ER!!
Since you’re thinking YG, I’d try on that Tiffany one for sure - classic, won’t compete but compliment IMHO
(To my eyes the plain band you’re wearing with it is too thin and throws off the proportions, but it only matters what YOU like).

Carmensandiego31

Rough_Rock
Only you will know what right for you in terms of wearing a wedding band on the same hand or the opposite but I am obsessed with your e-ring and hope that you don’t change it. It is gorgeous and unique!

The yg band that you have in my view is the perfect spacer band or one to wear on its own. I actually even like the look as is but adding another band into the mix will likely compliment it even more. Would you consider a colored band (sapphire, ruby, etc.)? If you are able to go into a store and try some bands on, I think that will be best.

I love sapphires! I personally prefer them in a five or three stone setting rather than a band because they can look dark. If I use the yg band as a spacer between them that might work. I’d have to try on and see. What do you think of a single shared prong diamond band? Will it compete? I’m worried it will, but then it could go on my right hand.
Right now I’m leaning towards a solid metal band but I’d love to know your thoughts. The Tiffany one suggested is lovely so I’ll have to try that on and then your suggestion about larger yellow gold as well.

Thank you!

Carmensandiego31

Rough_Rock
I love some of these suggestions for a band to go with your amazing ER!!
Since you’re thinking YG, I’d try on that Tiffany one for sure - classic, won’t compete but compliment IMHO
(To my eyes the plain band you’re wearing with it is too thin and throws off the proportions, but it only matters what YOU like).

I agree, the Tiffany band is so pretty! I feel comfortable with the idea of a solid metal band because i just don’t want my wedding band to compete with my e-ring. Since my e-ring feels more modern to me I think leaning towards a more classing wedding band might be a good idea.
I agree that the yg one i currently have is too thin. I love it on its own but it’s barely visible with my e-ring.

Curious what your thoughts on a single shared prong wedding band are as well?

Carmensandiego31

Rough_Rock
You’ve all convinced me not to re-set my stone :) I’ll be keeping my e-ring as is and just play with wedding bands. That seems the best route to take rather than re-make my whole engagement ring AND still have to find a band.
Now I want to narrow down b/t a diamond band, colored stone band or solid metal band.

These are photos of some rings from a company called good stone that I was eyeing a while back. This would be if I went with a diamond wedding band, which I’m not sure I want to do. The one I really like is the shared claw prong. (The one directly under the emerald shaped sapphire ring and top two on ring finger finger stack) I also like that one with the diamonds more spaced on on the ring finger EC6AA57A-5A2D-4FED-929B-10DB87E0A912.jpeg C2341E0B-94FB-43F6-B105-5A4210EFC1D3.jpeg B9125461-356E-4E8C-9F63-81959C33D3CE.jpeg Thoughts?? Please keep longevity and diamonds scratching each other in mind. Obviously craftsmanship is a huge factor I have to consider. You’re all so helpful! Thank you!!

Last edited:

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What cut are the diamonds in the shank of your engagement ring? I couldn’t quite tell from the pictures. It’s a really lovely ring so I’m glad you’ve decided to not reset it.
The first thing I thought when I looked at your
Ring was “plain rich YG band” like @nala suggested. Match the height and width of your engagement ring shank and it would be perfect!
If you do want to wear a diamond band with it tho, then try to “match” the type of faceting in a diamond band with your engagement ring, it’ll look coherent as a set than if they’re completely different. For example I’ve got an OEC centre with baguette sides in my engagement ring. So single cuts or baguettes with big facets in a band look better next to my engagement ring than standard MRB melee with small facets. If that helps with working out what may or may not look right with your ring?
Definitely have some fun trying things on!

Carmensandiego31

Rough_Rock
What cut are the diamonds in the shank of your engagement ring? I couldn’t quite tell from the pictures. It’s a really lovely ring so I’m glad you’ve decided to not reset it.
The first thing I thought when I looked at your
Ring was “plain rich YG band” like @nala suggested. Match the height and width of your engagement ring shank and it would be perfect!
If you do want to wear a diamond band with it tho, then try to “match” the type of faceting in a diamond band with your engagement ring, it’ll look coherent as a set than if they’re completely different. For example I’ve got an OEC centre with baguette sides in my engagement ring. So single cuts or baguettes with big facets in a band look better next to my engagement ring than standard MRB melee with small facets. If that helps with working out what may or may not look right with your ring?
Definitely have some fun trying things on!

The diamonds in the shank are called blaze cut diamonds. They’re specific to the designer but kind of remind me of a princess cut because they’re square but they only have 13 facets. I’m definitely more leaning toward a solid metal band and I’m excited to see what a more correctly proportioned yg band will look like.

What are your thoughts on a comfort fit vs round vs flat vs knife edge band?
Thanks for your input! Much appreciated.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What are your thoughts on a comfort fit vs round vs flat vs knife edge band?
Thanks for your input! Much appreciated.
Comfort fit inside definitely! My wedding band is flat on the inside and I have actually had the edge cut into my finger a couple of times when my engagement ring has pushed up against it abruptly. My husband has a comfort fit band and it’s buttery smooth.
Top profile - honestly looking at your engagement ring I think a domed or very curved profile wouldn’t look right. Measure it for width and depth and then have a look at eweddingbands. They have a variety of different profiles like the low-curve or flat that might sit well with your engagement ring? I also think they’re relatively inexpensive to order and try out a profile even if you don’t end up going with them. Given the blaze cuts in your engagement ring shank, you might need a custom wedding band to have a similar depth of profile.
Also have a look at the Stack of the day thread for some ideas of how people put their ring stacks together. I don’t think rings need to be perfectly matching to look great stacked but some elements matching across the bands helps it look “right” imo eg width, height of band, type of metal, profile shape etc.
I looked up blaze cuts and how lovely are they! You might enjoy carre cuts or French cuts with them since they’re similar in terms of big facets.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Do you like rose gold? I think a narrow RG ring with some depth (thickness) will be both sturdy and beautiful. It may slightly blend with your skin tone so be a complement to your beautiful e-ring rather than a contrast. Like this (it comes in different widths and thicknesses):

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Can't edit but this is it on a PSers hand, so beautiful.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
My ER is from bez too, and I love the blaze diamonds! I think your er is perfect, and I would get a matching blaze band!! There’s a wide band on his site with compass set blaze diamonds that I love.

I would see if he could make just a single band instead of 3 together. CDCF9F83-359B-42DF-84FA-028D97D724F7.png 57A1764E-C897-4048-95A0-DF218775B100.png

Last edited:

Carmensandiego31

Rough_Rock
Comfort fit inside definitely! My wedding band is flat on the inside and I have actually had the edge cut into my finger a couple of times when my engagement ring has pushed up against it abruptly. My husband has a comfort fit band and it’s buttery smooth.
Top profile - honestly looking at your engagement ring I think a domed or very curved profile wouldn’t look right. Measure it for width and depth and then have a look at eweddingbands. They have a variety of different profiles like the low-curve or flat that might sit well with your engagement ring? I also think they’re relatively inexpensive to order and try out a profile even if you don’t end up going with them. Given the blaze cuts in your engagement ring shank, you might need a custom wedding band to have a similar depth of profile.
Also have a look at the Stack of the day thread for some ideas of how people put their ring stacks together. I don’t think rings need to be perfectly matching to look great stacked but some elements matching across the bands helps it look “right” imo eg width, height of band, type of metal, profile shape etc.
I looked up blaze cuts and how lovely are they! You might enjoy carre cuts or French cuts with them since they’re similar in terms of big facets.

I was wondering the same thing about the top profile. From the side it seems ok but when looking from the top it looks off with the curve of the small yg band. Thanks for pointing that out! I’ll definitely have to do some measurements on my band b/c I think matching the height is going to be really important.
I’ll look into carre cuts, I’ve never heard of they before! What would you think of baugettes?
Thank you so much for the resources! I’ve got some fun homework :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results