carat
color
clarity

Portrait Cut Anyone?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting.

Is the sparkly surface a finish to a metal 'plate' underneath the stone? It reminds me of the finish on a Rolex Yachtmaster dial.

I sort of place these stones in the 'cool and a bit showy-offy' box, haha, as they are obviously very expensive but do not 'perform' as most other diamonds are cut to do!.

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting.

Is the sparkly surface a finish to a metal 'plate' underneath the stone? It reminds me of the finish on a Rolex Yachtmaster dial.

I sort of place these stones in the 'cool and a bit showy-offy' box, haha, as they are obviously very expensive but do not 'perform' as most other diamonds are cut to do!.

I was trying to figure out myself that surface? How did they achieve that "matte" look.

I assume they are rather expensive as they are hard to cut? Or perhaps, just a trend. :think:

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I thought it was a mirror?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was trying to figure out myself that surface? How did they achieve that "matte" look.

I assume they are rather expensive as they are hard to cut? Or perhaps, just a trend. :think:

I think what you are seeing is the matte metal underneath the clear diamond. The diamond is VS1.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fascinating. It has a unique beauty. I would like to know what it looks like IRL.
That said, I would have to have a rather large diamond budget before considering it for my collection.
And how about engraving something on the plate. That would be cool.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I saw that post and cringed....

I also thought that a commenter asked that question and that the company answered that there isn't anything over or under it. Just the setting and that the cut is doing it all.

To me it looks like one gorgeously huge step cut wasted.....looks like a television screen when things go fuzzy!

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I saw that post and cringed....

I also thought that a commenter asked that question and that the company answered that there isn't anything over or under it. Just the setting and that the cut is doing it all.

To me it looks like one gorgeously huge step cut wasted.....looks like a television screen when things go fuzzy!

Looking at the video, I thought there was some "matte" rectangular piece under the table... but since it is impossible, it does make sense that, perhaps, the cut does it all. It is, indeed, a futuristic piece, but I'd rather stay in the presence.

LOL, yes it does look like a TV screen.. flat and broken one. :lol:

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
Looking at the video, I thought there was some "matte" rectangular piece under the table... but since it is impossible, it does make sense that, perhaps, the cut does it all. It is, indeed, a futuristic piece, but I'd rather stay in the presence.

LOL, yes it does look like a TV screen.. flat and huge one. :lol:

Doesn't it? Hahaha
It just loses the brilliance and scintillation that diamonds have and are appreciated for.

It's odd but hey, from the sea of adoring comments apparently there's something for everyone!

Oh & to anyone that likes it and thinks they would buy it, I'm guessing that would change when confronted with the price......

$62k

Yikes!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I cannot belive I am saything this... But I am liking it.

I would be really cool if you can custom-engrave the table with letters, initials, or even rough photo.

"will you marry me" on that table... that's epic.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I... Am at a loss for words...
No - I've got one. The same one @daisygrl had. And it's more of a whine than a word - why!?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
sandblasted bit of metal under the diamond.
weird but then again portrait cuts always have been weird.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
sandblasted bit of metal under the diamond.
weird but then again portrait cuts always have been weird.

Mourning jewlery is so sad

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don’t get portrait cuts either. And as somehow who’s earnt a cumulative 21 years bad luck cracking mirrors in recent years, I can’t help thinking that it’s only one mis-judged hand movement away from being cracked in half against a table edge. I can’t see a whisper-thin portrait cut being very robust at withstanding knocks in the middle of that flat surface...

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
Im not a fan. It’s interesting but Im not drawn to the cut, myself

I would like it a lot more if it wasn’t for the metal cup or whatever it has underneath it that’s giving it that hazy look. Setting that in highly reflective silver foil (the way polkis are) in YG would look so much cooler!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Looks like you are seeing the pattern on the skin of the finer. What you see through the diamond is not very different than the skin on the fingers surrounding the diamond. The whole point of a portrait cut is to see through it and I believe that is exactly what is taking place. Shadow and lighting are changing the appearance of the skin tone.

It would make a very expensive watch crystal, but in a ring many folks will just roll their eyes. I suppose there will be some who think it is very different and interesting, too. Due to not being deep, it is a great candidate for insurance coverage.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will confess that I don't see the appeal. I really don't want a diamond that is easy to break and boring to look at.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Wow- I actually love it.... but for $62k, I will admire it from afar. It is 3+ carats so maybe fair value. When I thought of it as a coloured gemstone not diamond.

it’s unique and the Matte finish is what draws me more than the usual transparent finish to portraits that I see. The usual ones I have seen have been painted on as well, to add a diffenrt dimension to it.

reminds me of large onyx/ aquamarine/citrine style rings.

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
I personally do NOT see the appeal. If I am going to spend money on and wear a diamond, I want it to sparkle .To each his own. 'Tis what makes the world go 'round!

Reactions: AV_
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results