shape
carat
color
clarity

POLL: Should I reset or forget it?

Should I reset from four to six prong or leave it alone?

• Yes, reset to six prong using the same setting

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • No, leave it be, it's fine as is

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@evergreen, I know David Klass does amazing work but I will have to find someone locally to make a setting for me since I don't want to mail it. Granted tons of PS people mail diamonds that are much more expensive than mine with no issues but I'm just not comfortable with it.

Do keep the pictures coming though because I'm going to put them all in an album for when I am ready to have a whole new setting made. It seems just when I think I know what I want another ring comes up that's even better!

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
@evergreen, I know David Klass does amazing work but I will have to find someone locally to make a setting for me since I don't want to mail it. Granted tons of PS people mail diamonds that are much more expensive than mine with no issues but I'm just not comfortable with it.

Do keep the pictures coming though because I'm going to put them all in an album for when I am ready to have a whole new setting made. It seems just when I think I know what I want another ring comes up that's even better!

Ah, I see. Well, fwiw, DK and others who do a lot of work for non-local clients have worked out shipping so that it's fully insured and very reliable -- I just followed his instructions, used his label, and knew that he has coverage for the shipping. But I can totally understand! It's a good example of what a skilled bench can do, so evaluate your local options with a critical eye...

And... Not to pile it on, but here's an example of what my local bench, with great Yelp reviews, managed (and my tranny is slightly off round; the bezel needed tightening every 6-8 months until I got scared that I'd lose the stone or it would be damaged in one of the tightenings... So I stopped wearing my e-ring. :oops2: ), compared to DK. Sorry it's kinda blurry, but you get the idea.
IMG_20190119_205618.jpg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And this is a ring I had DK create for me, its prong set. @goldenfire now owns the ring but she can attest to its protective and secure way of holding the diamond:
upload_2019-1-19_8-21-39.png
I was just coming to suggest exactly this setting :lol-2: it’s one of my favourite settings for adding a bit of size and protection the stone in a really pretty way.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@evergreen, I know David Klass does amazing work but I will have to find someone locally to make a setting for me since I don't want to mail it. Granted tons of PS people mail diamonds that are much more expensive than mine with no issues but I'm just not comfortable with it
@StephanieLynn Could you get him to make you a ring per the measurements of your stone and get him to ship it for your local jeweller to set for you?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @StephanieLynn I have been following along a bit and wanted to answer your question about the Sholdt. You do need an authorized dealer to get it for you. I just priced it out at a few of our PS recommended jewelers myself and pricing was from ~$1800-2500 depending on meta choicel. I would be afraid to leave the girdle exposed on your stone. I am nervous about mine in that exposed setting too.
As for DK, yes, I have read about him making the mount without the stone so your jeweler can set it. He is awesome and I have mailed quite a few stones to him.
Good luck. Beautiful ring.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@evergreen, you know I think I have a profile shot of your tranny setting saved on my phone lol! I came across it while doing a Google search for "pretty bezel settings" :mrgreen2:

@foxinsox, having him make the setting and ship it is a GREAT idea, totally didn't think of that and this is truly my favorite setting, like I have admired it since I came to PS! Thanks so much for the suggestion!

@Sandeek, thanks for the info on Sholdt and also about DK as well as your well wishes. I really don't want to leave the girdle exposed long term, the six prong setting is just to buy me some time until I can figure out exactly what I want to do, it's a bit overwhelming as so many PS folk have fabulous rings :kiss2:

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
how about something like a bezel but have prongs instead so you aren't going to destroy the ring if you ever want to take it out of a bezel? the ring below has a slight metal extending beyond the diamond and its many prong milgrain like bezel appearance.
upload_2019-1-19_8-15-23.png

Greenlake:
upload_2019-1-19_8-17-20.png

upload_2019-1-19_8-19-44.png (sorry this image is a bit marked up for an inspiration peice I wanted work on) anyhow, its pronged set with a slight metal extending beyond the diamond, more protection.

And this is a ring I had DK create for me, its prong set. @goldenfire now owns the ring but she can attest to its protective and secure way of holding the diamond:
upload_2019-1-19_8-21-39.png
Yep, it is amazingly protective, and it doesn't cut out any of the light performance like my bezels have always done. Though I do adore bezels. The setting also really adds some size to the diamond. It's my fave :) It's also really comfortable.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm I didn't consider the light performance aspect of a bezel setting, is it safe to say that is the big downside to a true bezel setting? @goldenfire

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hmmm I didn't consider the light performance aspect of a bezel setting, is it safe to say that is the big downside to a true bezel setting? @goldenfire
I have noticed it every time I have bezeled diamonds whether it be fantastic old european cuts or ideal cut or super ideal cut round brilliants or even not so great diamonds lol. There is always a smidge of beauty that is lost for me (and for other friends that I have talked about this subject with, Wewechew may want to chime in). Brian Gavin and other companies that make very thin bezel settings say that their bezels don't impact light performance, I've also heard from super ideal cut vendors that there is no light return change with bezel setting because of ideal cut and the tremendous light return....I however have had ideal cut and super ideal diamonds and I can see the difference when I bezel. I always see it, every time. Whether it is a super thin bezel or not, there is a loss of a smidge of that glowy ethereal look that I love about diamonds once they are put into bezels. My bangle stone has a bezel and while I adore the look of it, I do miss this glorious ethereal rainbowy element that it had. It had something that was really special even compared to other oecs, and while it still has those qualities, it's like the bezel took off 10%, but it's worth it to me because I love the setting..When you eliminate all the light from the sides of the diamond, it always seems to have an effect that at least I notice. BUT I love bezels, they are such a great look, one of my favorite. Maybe there are some bezels or stone cuts that don't change light return...I am curious what D&T has to say about the glowy radiant qualities of her EC and if that changed once bezeled. Her bezel is so meticulous and thin, so it may not impact it at all and the stone is so gorgeous :)

Last edited:

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was just coming to suggest exactly this setting :lol-2: it’s one of my favourite settings for adding a bit of size and protection the stone in a really pretty way.
The adding a bit of size component is definitely great and I love that it does this without looking like it's "trying" to look bigger, it's very inconspicuous on the hand. I was just browsing some diamond rings last night and put a few 2 carat/8mm round brilliant diamond rings on my finger next to it, and there is barely a noticable size difference, if at all. The setting really makes it look like a 2 carat stone.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The adding a bit of size component is definitely great and I love that it does this without looking like it's "trying" to look bigger, it's very inconspicuous on the hand. I was just browsing some diamond rings last night and put a few 2 carat/8mm round brilliant diamond rings on my finger next to it, and there is barely a noticable size difference, if at all. The setting really makes it look like a 2 carat stone.
how big is the stone that’s in there now?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
well I'm late and haven't read the whole thread! (I rap on occasion!). I would rehab the stone, polish it up and see if you can then do prongs. I'm funny Steph* I love semi bezel in pendants, don't really like the in rings, (weird I know).. I like the six prongs look but I would rehab (if I had the money honey). :)

Kate

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wanted to chime in to say that DK makes incredibly delicate bezels, which when milgrained don't look at all modern to me! This stone is about 5x7mm.
IMG_20190119_124731.jpg
Did you buy your own stone and have him set it? It’s so pretty! I want to get an emerald cut in a bezel too. He’s doing a round one for me now.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@goldenfire absolutely love your avatar and than you so much for your thoughts on a bezel setting, I'm going to leave it as is for now but I'll probably revisit this idea in the future.

@Tekate, ah you are too funny with your rhyme and I hear you about bezels, I'm definitely more partial to them in a pendant than a ring. This diamond is cut very shallow and I would lose a lot of weight with a republish so for now I'm going to leave it as is but down the line there could be some changes.

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
how big is the stone that’s in there now?
It is 7.53x7.7mm (the long side is up and down, shorter side is left to right) But in the setting it looks perfectly round

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I did a collet “faux bezel” style for Theia because I wanted to protect the thin girdle but didn’t want to dim the light performance. I feel it’s a good compromise and I never feel the diamond is exposed.

36484E8D-6153-4DC8-8A9F-828D4FD9DCC3.jpeg IMG_0353.JPG

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a very cool ring @MakingTheGrade, I bet she gets a lot of attention, love a bold statement in a ring.

I like a collet setting on a fancy shape like this one.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Late to the party.....
Question: why throw good money after bad? That stone has severe damage, chipped in 2 places? Do you have insurance? If so, you have a claim, take the money and start over.
Or, could the stone be recut and the result would be no chips realizing a smaller stone?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@WillyDiamond thanks for your thoughts, I've already reset it into a six prong setting. The diamond is not insured as it was bought with the chips and insurance isn't going to pay a claim on existing damage anyways. The diamond could be recut but it is cut shallow so it would lose significant weight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results