shape
carat
color
clarity

POLL: Should I reset or forget it?

Should I reset from four to six prong or leave it alone?

• Yes, reset to six prong using the same setting

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • No, leave it be, it's fine as is

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a spinoff thread because I'm kind of freaking out about whether I should have the diamond reset to a six prong setting. It is chipped as you can see on the north and south sides as well as under a prong. My thought was putting it in six prongs would better protect it but maybe I'm better to leave well enough alone?

Just to clarify, the head would be switched out but the band would be the same.

H IMG_2669.JPG IMG_2684.JPG IMG_2763.JPG

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you consider a total reset into a bezel?

I really didn't want to do a bezel because I'm not a fan of them for myself BUT I was going to go that route anyway to protect the stone. The jeweler said because some of the damage is also on the top facets to cover the damage the thickness of the bezel would make the stone look oval. So that didn't sound so great either.

I guess the answer is I would only do a bezel if it wouldn't make the diamond look oval AND if it was the only option to protect the stone.

Morenita21

Brilliant_Rock
This is a spinoff thread because I'm kind of freaking out about whether I should have the diamond reset to a six prong setting. It is chipped as you can see on the north and south sides as well as under a prong. My thought was putting it in six prongs would better protect it but maybe I'm better to leave well enough alone?

Just to clarify, the head would be switched out but the band would be the same.

H IMG_2669.JPG IMG_2684.JPG IMG_2763.JPG

I would do bezel setting with some fine milgrain on the bezel.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
What about a half-bezel, like the beloved Sholdt? Could cover the chipped areas but not the entire profile of the diamond, in case that's part of why you don't especially like bezels. Or, could a skilled bench replace the prongy prongs with tab prongs, rotating the stone slightly to cover the chipped areas with tab prongs?

I think I heard on here that the E/W sides of a diamond are more likely to be damaged than the N/S, so I wonder if the stone was rotated at some point already?

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Because of the chips even if it looks oval I would do a bezel.

even when we are careful - rings take a beating. If you are doing a necklace you would be fine with a 4 prong setting, but if you are doing a ring, I would recommend a bezel .

BMI

Shiny_Rock
My experience is that the south side is the easiest to chip, but since my rings come off every night they don't always go back on the same way. This is possibly why this diamond has large chips on both the north and south positions.
My .42 ct diamond was chipped while in a platinum semi bezel (by Adwar but very much like the popular Sholdt version) though I am not sure when it happened. I also have a 7mm stone in a six prong palladium tulip setting which I am fairly certain would have chipped when a suitcase closed on it were it not for the prong in the south point which dented slightly. I am definitely rough on my rings and I now will only wear rings with six or more prongs (with one at the north and south ends) or full bezels. It probably goes without saying that I voted for switching the head to six prongs. ;)2 Congrats on your pawn shop beauty!

ETA: And I would do tab prongs for sure.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tbh I would do fishtail prongs to cover/protect the chipped areas (but you mighta guessed that I might say that :P2) but also they’re actually very good at covering the girdle

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You already have damage so to protect the stone it seems prudent you make a change rather that be 6 prong, full bezel, semi bezel, etc.

One thing PS has taught me is that never say never. Being a guy I probably don't see various styles of jewelry as much as you but in particular I had the opinion I didn't care for bezels either. The other day I had recommended a VC bezel set to someone, lol.

Being an old cut like that I could see some bezels working and looking great. Some of those with better Photoshop skills than me could probably morph a bezel into your existing stone to give you an idea.

Whatever you decide, good luck. Keep that gorgeous rock safe and secure!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Perhaps you said you prefer not to wear necklaces? But if you ever wanted to test that idea again this would be an ideal stone for that, especially if it were ‘added on’ to an existing necklace as a pretty drop. Not expensive to do, but it would protect her nicely.

But I digress. I voted for six prongs and then someone said tab prongs! Great idea!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to jump on my computer so I could respond to each of you who took the time to weigh in.

@Morenita21, @tkyasx78 I totally get that a bezel will better protect the diamond, that's what I initially went in asking about but when Mr. Jeweler gave me another option I jumped on that because along with not being super fond of them I can't see incorporating a bezel into the existing setting. I should have put a third option for a bezel in the poll!

@evergreen, didn't even think of tab prongs and yes I agree it's totally possible that the stone was already rotated at one point. The thing about bezels for me is that they look modern to me although half bezels look a little less so. I'm kind of afraid of going the bezel or half bezel route for fear that I won't like the look of it.

@BMI, thank God for that prong on the tulip setting that saved the stone! Do you have a really good example of tab prongs? I've looked ant some just look like they sit almost against the girdle and others cover some of the top of the stone, I guess there is a wide interpretation for what tab prongs are!

@foxinsox, you and I are big fans of fishtail prongs :mrgreen2: I especially like how they give a more squarish look to a stone which is something you can appreciate too.

@sledge, you know you are a comforting voice, although that sounds totally strange online lol! I keep second guessing what I've already decided on and then worrying that my decision is wrong and will make it worse...AHHHH! Part of my reluctance to do anything super major apart from change the head is down the line I would like to have August Vintage look at it for a possible recut. If Rhino tells me he can recut this without losing some crazy amount of weight then that to me is the best answer but again that is down the line. Then of course I could reset it into any setting I like without having to worry about the constraints of covering up all the damage.

@InsecureSweetGirl, it's funny you mention necklace, not opposed but I just had a custom necklace made which will be my daily driver. Also I'm really a ring girl because necklaces are kind of for everyone else to appreciate but a ring can be appreciated by everyone! The pic you shared I think is a type of bezel setting but not totally sure. Did you go through this amount of angst with Edwina? I feel like I may need some anti-anxiety medication just to get through the week!

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Warning: thread highjack ahead:

Out of curiosity, how do chips like that affect light performance? Does anyone have an ASET or IS of a chipped stone for us to see?

Apologies and thanks!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge, apart from the third option, I like any of those settings but the Adriana is my favorite, reminds me of CVB's Dahlia setting. Is it safe to say though that most jewelers (even my old Sicilian guy with 48 years experience) would be hard pressed to replicate any of VC settings?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@kmoro I should also mention that some of the damage from the chip on one side extends down the side of the diamond, it does not reach the culet so I'm sure it does affect the light performance in my case because of that side damage but it will be interesting to see what other folks with chips have to say.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for six prongs, which will help visually round out the chipped areas, and also keep the vintage vibe. But I’d have them set it a bit lower in the head.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ringo865 thanks for weighing in! Lower in the head because the height of the ring currently concerns you because it heightens the chance of further damage?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How big is the diamond? Sometimes six prongs can be a bit overwhelming on smaller diamonds. I like the demi bezel suggestion.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lambskin, I know it is 6.9mm in diameter, not sure on weight though.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is such a pretty stone but the chips would drive me nuts. I love the baguette setting but a bezel, demi or full, may not look right with the current setting. Any possible way to use the current setting with a new colored stone and do a new setting? I do not think the addition of prongs will really hide the chips. I think a bezel is the way to go and the choice of bezel style and the ability of the bench to set the ring will be determinative

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@lambskin, when I first louped the diamond my heart hurt! By the time that I got home though outside of the bright store lights they became less apparent. The only reason I decided to seek out a six prong setting is to try to protect the diamond a little better than four prongs not necessarily to hide the chips. If you were going to go with a bezel setting who would you have do the work? Granted this jeweler is well experienced but if there is someone known on PS for excellent bezel settings then obviously that is the way to go.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge, you know you are a comforting voice, although that sounds totally strange online lol! I keep second guessing what I've already decided on and then worrying that my decision is wrong and will make it worse...AHHHH! Part of my reluctance to do anything super major apart from change the head is down the line I would like to have August Vintage look at it for a possible recut. If Rhino tells me he can recut this without losing some crazy amount of weight then that to me is the best answer but again that is down the line. Then of course I could reset it into any setting I like without having to worry about the constraints of covering up all the damage.

You are very welcome. FWIW, I've heard similar compliments before IRL as well, lol.

I didn't know a recut option was on the table. I would agree that before you move forward with a reset, you need to figure that aspect out as it would likely change things enough you'd need to rework the setting anyhow and seems like unnecessary expense & headache.

@sledge, apart from the third option, I like any of those settings but the Adriana is my favorite, reminds me of CVB's Dahlia setting. Is it safe to say though that most jewelers (even my old Sicilian guy with 48 years experience) would be hard pressed to replicate any of VC settings?

I'm glad you liked these, and that is about how I thought you might respond. I find bezels alone to look more modern which I think kind of clashes with the older charm of an OEC stone. That is why I tossed those VC Dahlia and Tamara settings in. The halos trick your eye and help "soften" the bezel setting. Kind of the best of both worlds.

By the way, this is going to get confusing....there is a VC Dahlia and CvB Dahlia. The CvB version looks very similar the Adriana as you pointed out, but it actually has 8 prongs. Also, I actually prefer the shank work on the CvB Dahlia a little better. I feel the Adriana shank is a smidge plain and modern. I personally like this version of the CvB Dahlia best:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/237538848/cvb-dahlia-solitaire-setting

Also, I think this will likely be cheaper than VC. As far as your jeweler performing to VC quality, I am not certain. I do know that VC settings are hand forged and the quality is very good. I'd try to find some of your jewelers work and examine to see if they are comparable. Also, if you have a strong relationship with him, he may just tell you that is beyond his capabilities.

il_570xN.1244349318_bzb9.jpg

@ringo865 thanks for weighing in! Lower in the head because the height of the ring currently concerns you because it heightens the chance of further damage?

Not talking for @ringo865 but yes, the higher the stone is set the more susceptible it is to damage. When custom designing my fiancee's setting, this is something that was heavily discussed. She likes the stone to be set higher than most the women here. When designing I lowered it a bit from what she wanted, but it still ended up being higher than the advice I got.

A few months ago, on a girls trip to Boston, she did something and bent one of the prongs. We were both so glad she had 6 prongs or I think that stone would be a goner! Anyhow, after she got back she mentioned if we should lower the stone a little to avoid a future repeat.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Again, I think your ring is lovely. You have to price out what a new head will cost for a six prong and go from there as that will be probably be the least expensive alternative. Also you may want to price out the cost of a recut and polish of the diamond. If you do this you may be able to use the current setting. I thought that a recut and polish would be super expensive but posts here prove otherwise. You will lose a little weight and size but it should improve the diamond's appearance and stability. I am not in the trade and have not had work done by any of the vendors referenced in this forum. May I suggest that you search the forum for recut/polish posts as well as images of bezels-both diamonds and colored stones. PS is terrific in this regard and everyone is so happy to help.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@sledge comforting and modest :lol: A recut is on the table but not right now as I just got done with a custom project so I will need to save up and also make arrangements to get to August Vintage which is right in NY, so not far from CT but still a bit of a haul. Good to know about the CVB Dahlia, I've always admired her work although I realize hand forged is obviously a whole other level, if the aesthetic is similar then that would be fine.

I did see the post about your fiancé bending the prong....yikes, thank goodness she didn't lose it!

@lambskin changing the head to six prong and a resize is costing $240, the jeweler already has the ring as I was moving forward with changing the head out but some comments on my other thread got me to second guessing my decision. So in the big picture my plan is to have the diamond recut (assuming not a huge loss in weight) and then probably reset it if it ends up not being able to fit back into this head. That is probably years down the line though and at least if I change the head out on this ring I can set another stone in there as opposed to a bezel where I couldn't reuse the setting if I decide to reset down the line.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Did you go through this amount of angst with Edwina?
Yes and while the temporary setting really complimented her, it was courting danger by having her set that high. I took her back out and gave her a bath and put her back to bed in her GIA paper envelope. Then I took a deep breath and started over. (Also, anthropomorphism FTW)

My other stone, which once lived in a Toi et Moi ring, is badly chipped. I reset her into a @JPie style pendant to prevent further damage, but the aspect of it that I hadn’t predicted was that once she was a necklace I completely forgot about the chip and could relax and enjoy her! Now I wear the chippy girl daily and get a thrill when catching sight of her... I suppose that is what a daily necklace is best at?

The other suggestion someone made, to put a colored stone in place of your new girl is a great one, rather than remaking the peg. If you could choose a color, hypothetically which would you enjoy in that setting?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
First thing you could try is rotating the diamond 90° so the chips are East-West. I suspect they might become a lot less obvious.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results