shape
carat
color
clarity

POLL: Should I reset or forget it?

Should I reset from four to six prong or leave it alone?

• Yes, reset to six prong using the same setting

Votes: 27 77.1%
  • No, leave it be, it's fine as is

Votes: 8 22.9%

• Total voters

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First thing you could try is rotating the diamond 90° so the chips are East-West. I suspect they might become a lot less obvious.

@prs, that's a pretty good idea!

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Something like this to cover the chip?
1e920aca6ad8.jpg

20b289f14290.jpg

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ringo865 thanks for weighing in! Lower in the head because the height of the ring currently concerns you because it heightens the chance of further damage?

Yes, have the head lower, but also have the diamond set lower in the (lowered) head. In some pics on your first thread, there is ample air gap between the shank height (and crown bottom) and the culet of the stone.

I still love the stone as is and (I personally) probably wouldn’t recut it.

Eta: the picture

71ACC0D6-6A11-4684-8ED0-9F3C1E671058.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@prs, that is a pretty great idea, thanks for thinking of it, I'm going to check in with the jeweler tomorrow to see where he is in the process and if he hasn't started work on the setting I may just go with this.

@ringo865 thanks for your thoughts I really appreciate your suggestions and honestly, I kind of love the stone as is too, I can't wait to get her back!

@blueMA that is a really pretty setting, who makes it?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now can any Sholdt experts tell me how they work? Is it like Stuller where you order through a jeweler and what price range am I looking at for a semi bezel? I think I could get down with one of those.

mn_shopaholic

Shiny_Rock
Now can any Sholdt experts tell me how they work? Is it like Stuller where you order through a jeweler and what price range am I looking at for a semi bezel? I think I could get down with one of those.

I'm not sure if you can order direct through Sholdt, but they have a network of retail partners like Stuller settings do, though they are not quite as ubiquitous as Stuller in terms of retailer availability. http://sholdtdesign.com/our-retailers/ Unlike Stuller however, if I'm remembering correctly, Sholdt makes the setting to the specs of your stone instead of having to pick the closest match from stock mm sizes.

BGD carries them as well, and it looks like pricing for the semi-bezel starts at around $1200+ through BGD based on options chosen (with sidestones, engraving, etc adding to the base price).

But you might want to check out this https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-elle_chris-and-sholdt-semi-bezel-owners.246253/ because @D&T mentioned that her diamond ended up damaged/abraded and it could have been due to the semi-bezel and how exposed the stone was N/S...

:wavey:Oh hey! Just saw this now.
It was my favorite yellow gold semi bezel setting ever however I have since sold it and have a different ring. I can give you some insight I ran across while wearing it.

- sat up a little high (for me) to accommodate band to sit flush.
-very comfortable to your point substantial yet delicate looking
-although very secure the problem I ran into is that N/S the diamond girdle is very exposed vs having prongs at N/S. I upgraded my diamond sent it back to whiteflash and during inspection had an abrasion that they fixed. I remember hitting my washer and that could have been the culprit.

-I don’t regret getting it. I now prefer more of a N/S semi bezel. But oh so love the look of the regular semi bezel and my heart ❤️ skips a beat every time I see one. I think for a diamond with thick girdle I wouldn’t hesitate but again it is very exposed N/S and prone to damage. I’ve had way too many settings so I tend to think of worse case scenario and how I would wear it.
Hope this helps!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

EC8

Shiny_Rock
+1 on the recommendation from @prs to rotate the stone so the chips are E/W. You can then look into recutting the stone; you never know, it might fit right back into the original setting after the rehab.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have been debating about it and I think I would definitely do a bezel..I know you don’t like them so that’s a problem..There are many different kinds of bezels like the one DK did for my Wonky. It’s a barely there bezel..His prices are very reasonable. You could even send him a pic and see what he comes up with. I would be afraid of putting a prong over the chip so if you won’t bezel it I’ll vote your keeping it as is. It’s a beautiful stone...I personally would have it recut. Brian Gavin knows someone that does old cuts. If you search this site you will find the contact. I can’t wait to see what you decide!

Last edited:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean, I know I really need to get over this whole bezel thing because it really needs to be what's best for the diamond so I'm going to spend this year looking at different settings online and in person to figure out exactly what I want to do with it. Another issue is I don't want to ship it anywhere because it's not insured, I don't even know if insurance companies will insure a chipped diamond. So the larger jewelry store in town has an in-house goldsmith and they will insure stones they work on and I plan on talking to them about it.

I've been waffling about a recut but I don't think I'm going to recut it, I'd rather bezel it and have a larger size diamond than to have it lose any weight.

Today is the day for your cushion from BN right? So excited for you!!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@EC8, that would certainly be the best case scenario if it didn't lose much weight, but at least I can still use that setting for a colored stone if I do end up resetting or recutting it so there is a bonus.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean, I know I really need to get over this whole bezel thing because it really needs to be what's best for the diamond so I'm going to spend this year looking at different settings online and in person to figure out exactly what I want to do with it. Another issue is I don't want to ship it anywhere because it's not insured, I don't even know if insurance companies will insure a chipped diamond. So the larger jewelry store in town has an in-house goldsmith and they will insure stones they work on and I plan on talking to them about it.

I've been waffling about a recut but I don't think I'm going to recut it, I'd rather bezel it and have a larger size diamond than to have it lose any weight.

Today is the day for your cushion from BN right? So excited for you!!
Yes it’s at FedEx and I’m stuck without a car..no friends available to take me there...I was picking up my son a half hour north of my house last night idling in the parking lot...waiting for him to come out..and the car got a weird message saying “Chassis malfunction”. I inched my car up and then it said no driving while parking brake was engaged and it wasn’t! I called my husband who was an hour and a half south of me..who had to drive to get us and drive my car to the dealer..All I could think about was OH NO MY DIAMOND IS DUE AT FEDEX TOMORROW! I just got the text saying it’s there and I can pick it up..Pure torture! I do have my unmentionable pendant from China coming today from DHL so that should make me feel a little better!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean two words...Public Transportation! :twisted2:

ETA I also hope that your car troubles are nothing major, car repairs stink, so here is hoping you are up and running again soon and without huge expense!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

ETA I also hope that your car troubles are nothing major, car repairs stink, so here is hoping you are up and running again soon and without huge expense!
There’s no public transportation here..I’m in Pa in an area without buses or trains to take..I could take Uber but I’ve never done that...and really don’t plan to..I’m chicken..:lol-2:

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Mamabean, I hear you about Uber, I did take one with my SIL in NYC but I wouldn't be brave enough to take one alone. Bad enough last month my alternator went on my car in the morning and I had to get my son to school so we called a taxi! Cost me like $48 just to get him to school that morning.

We will just wait patiently to see your new amazing treasure, I'm sure it will be worth the wait, the video is amazing!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Mamabean, I hear you about Uber, I did take one with my SIL in NYC but I wouldn't be brave enough to take one alone. Bad enough last month my alternator went on my car in the morning and I had to get my son to school so we called a taxi! Cost me like $48 just to get him to school that morning.

We will just wait patiently to see your new amazing treasure, I'm sure it will be worth the wait, the video is amazing!
Thanks! I’m so anxious to see it!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There’s no public transportation here..I’m in Pa in an area without buses or trains to take..I could take Uber but I’ve never done that...and really don’t plan to..I’m chicken..:lol-2:

I've used Uber solo and with others. I can understand females not wanting to use this method solo.

Most have been very nice and even helpful if you are in a new city. I took a few when in Vegas last year because I was staying on the strip and it was just more convenient.

Most awkward solo trip was close to 2 hours away. An ex girlfriend got mad and took off with my vehicle, and I had to retrieve. Costs a little over $100 one way. Guy was super nice, but also just weird and socially creepy. I can imagine how a female would have felt very uncomfortable.

By far the worst involved the same ex-GF. She had gotten me some tickets to the Chiefs/Steelers game. Go Steelers! Great seats. Second row back, on the 50. I could have reached up and slapped players on the helmet had I wanted. Anyhow, from the hotel to the game decided to Uber and got a total whack-o. It felt bad from the start, then he started driving through the ghetto. I'm not familiar with KC so I started paying extra attention to our location. I whispered to ex-GF to pay attention to her surroundings and reiterated street names to her. Put a plan together. Essentially, if the SHTF I was going to lay a beat down on the driver and she was to run back a certain direction and alert authorities. Guess he noticed we were very alert and aware as he started getting shifty and frequently checking the rear view mirror. Not long afterwards we left the ghetto and arrived at the ballpark with no harm.

Next worst part of the journey was the Steelers losing the game. :(2 Followed by a 5 year old heckling the me the entire way out of the stadium back to the front where we met another Uber driver. :x2 The kid was relentless. Had he been an adult I would have shoved him in a trash can, lol.

The lady Uber driver that tooks us back to the hotel was a saint. Super sweet retired lady that was a total chatty Kathy.

DeadlyPaltryBird-max-1mb.gif

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've used Uber solo and with others. I can understand females not wanting to use this method solo.

Most have been very nice and even helpful if you are in a new city. I took a few when in Vegas last year because I was staying on the strip and it was just more convenient.

Most awkward solo trip was close to 2 hours away. An ex girlfriend got mad and took off with my vehicle, and I had to retrieve. Costs a little over $100 one way. Guy was super nice, but also just weird and socially creepy. I can imagine how a female would have felt very uncomfortable.

By far the worst involved the same ex-GF. She had gotten me some tickets to the Chiefs/Steelers game. Go Steelers! Great seats. Second row back, on the 50. I could have reached up and slapped players on the helmet had I wanted. Anyhow, from the hotel to the game decided to Uber and got a total whack-o. It felt bad from the start, then he started driving through the ghetto. I'm not familiar with KC so I started paying extra attention to our location. I whispered to ex-GF to pay attention to her surroundings and reiterated street names to her. Put a plan together. Essentially, if the SHTF I was going to lay a beat down on the driver and she was to run back a certain direction and alert authorities. Guess he noticed we were very alert and aware as he started getting shifty and frequently checking the rear view mirror. Not long afterwards we left the ghetto and arrived at the ballpark with no harm.

Next worst part of the journey was the Steelers losing the game. :(2 Followed by a 5 year old heckling the me the entire way out of the stadium back to the front where we met another Uber driver. :x2 The kid was relentless. Had he been an adult I would have shoved him in a trash can, lol.

The lady Uber driver that tooks us back to the hotel was a saint. Super sweet retired lady that was a total chatty Kathy.

DeadlyPaltryBird-max-1mb.gif
Yup! All of the above is why I’m not taking Uber! I tend to smile and talk to everyone...so it kind of invites people to be a little more personal and share things I shouldn’t be knowing! :shock: I would have felt REALLY creeped out by your drivers.
I wonder where the boy’s parents were! I can see him saying something once or twice in fun after a game..but heckling! :cry:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
I agree. I think a thin and delicate bezel would be the most protective. Just to protect those sides. Thick bezels are not my style either and the whole reason I used to hate them. But thin ones like Mamabean's are perfect.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thanks @StephanieLynn..I’m hoping it’s a simple fuse..computer thing and they can reset it..

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
how about something like a bezel but have prongs instead so you aren't going to destroy the ring if you ever want to take it out of a bezel? the ring below has a slight metal extending beyond the diamond and its many prong milgrain like bezel appearance.
upload_2019-1-19_8-15-23.png

Greenlake:
upload_2019-1-19_8-17-20.png

upload_2019-1-19_8-19-44.png (sorry this image is a bit marked up for an inspiration peice I wanted work on) anyhow, its pronged set with a slight metal extending beyond the diamond, more protection.

And this is a ring I had DK create for me, its prong set. @goldenfire now owns the ring but she can attest to its protective and secure way of holding the diamond:
upload_2019-1-19_8-21-39.png

Last edited:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
upload_2019-1-19_8-27-21.png
If you don't like bezel... are lots of prongs an option? the idea that any contact against anything hits the ring before the diamond or more chances to hit the ring before diamond, and this would do the trick also without having to go the full bezel route

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@D&T, I absolutely love that David Klass ring, if I can have a local goldsmith make that for my diamond then that would be ideal, it reminds me so much of the Dahlia settings

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Here’s a Georgian-era inspired setting, courtesy of Jessica McCormack’s Instagram. The collet setting covers the edge of the stone but the decorative prongs distract the eyes making the chip less visible and the stone generally look bigger. It’s kind of an 18th century ‘illusion’ setting.
B4CEAB5A-D63A-4958-9FBC-83505048FC3E.jpeg

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@InsecureSweetGirl, thank you so much for posting this, this is exactly why I'm just going to six prong it for now, so I can take lots of time to figure out exactly what setting to put it in. This one is so unique, I wouldn't have thought of it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results