shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: My ring mould came but it’s not right, what shall I do?

What should I do with my 10mm amethyst?

• Don’t do anything it’s way too deep to ever look great

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Yeah it’s high but it’s a cocktail ring who cares

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Change the setting design to one of the Art Deco style solitaires below

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Keep the design but make it into an east west pendant

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • I have a better idea and I’m going to say below

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No need to worry about changing the design after getting the wax. DW has done it a number of times. That's why they do waxes!!!

IMHO that setting is just too chunky and heavy, it would make a great man's ring! :mrgreen2:

For a start, how about asking Amy to thin down all the metal as much as possible to see if it will look more elegant and feminine .

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m sure it’s doable.
I don’t know at what cost (figuratively not literally), to the rest of the design or what it will alter in its wake.
nor what it will look like face down.
it’s worth asking Amy/David for a look.

I would say anything possible - but that’s just not true. I’ve tested and probably worn out my welcome with DK on that :lol:

Lol anything’s doable right but to me it’s definitely going to need a double halo to bring that profile design to life and I’m not sure I want to pay for it.
Feel like I need to balance the ring and I have two options
1. double halo
2. step out at the sides in some way to bulk the lower part of the ring out

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
No need to worry about changing the design after getting the wax. DW has done it a number of times. That's why they do waxes!!!

IMHO that setting is just too chunky and heavy, it would make a great man's ring! :mrgreen2:

For a start, how about asking Amy to thin down all the metal as much as possible to see if it will look more elegant and feminine .

A mans ring? Wow I don’t know how to take that really! I have to say I don’t know a single man that would wear a ring like this.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Does DK work in sterling? Then you wouldn't need to worry about thick metal costs.

I don’t want a silver ring especially not with diamonds. Cost is a consideration but if you read through the thread you will see it’s not really the main issue!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m just posting up my aquamarine because it’s a humongous stone and sits really high. The gallery is a design element and I think it looks great. 00873BB6-8C3A-429A-B7A0-746D847CBAE7.jpeg

It’s lovely Bron and I agree the gallery really adds to the design, a plainer gallery would not work nearly so well imho

mjea

Shiny_Rock
Thanks that’s lovely have you got a link for it. Is it Lang’s? I don’t have a problem with prongs it’s just none of my initial inspiration pics had them.

It’s a vintage inspired cocktail ring on Etsy that came up in a search.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lol anything’s doable right but to me it’s definitely going to need a double halo to bring that profile design to life and I’m not sure I want to pay for it.
Feel like I need to balance the ring and I have two options
1. double halo
2. step out at the sides in some way to bulk the lower part of the ring out

if you’ve moved on from this idea - I don’t want to revisit,
but I’m not convinced that the alteration will require a double halo.

how do you feel about some metalwork to take up some of the space, kind of like this?

78FDE2E9-DA0F-498E-98FA-6FAC3CB6A3A6.jpeg
but of course more Art Deco pattern.

or maybe even some enamelwork done in along with the diamonds to take up some space?

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a picture-frame of baguettes would make it look more Deco. Prolly a lot more $, though, since I suspect would need to be custom-cut. I can't find a photo of what I'm thinking -- have seen a handful with big emerald-cut emeralds and aquas.

I like the ring and think the gallery is very elegant!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just about to post about this. (Also, thank you for your kind response!)
I know this photo has baguette stones, but maybe you can take rounds in a thin baguette outline like your photo. That might add the balance you were looking for, and would also force the meeting point of the shoulder/shank a little further down. Also, I know this photo has prongs and you only wanted bezel so ignore those :lol:
1615835499875.png 1615835543414.png

I really like this design and agree with mjea that you can emulate this but with rounds instead of baguettes. It'll certainly also be easier for DK to emulate the taper, basket, etc in order to keep the balance and flow of the design without making it look like a ring pop. It also allows you to keep your halo.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
if you’ve moved on from this idea - I don’t want to revisit,
but I’m not convinced that the alteration will require a double halo.

how do you feel about some metalwork to take up some of the space, kind of like this?

78FDE2E9-DA0F-498E-98FA-6FAC3CB6A3A6.jpeg
but of course more Art Deco pattern.

or maybe even some enamelwork done in along with the diamonds to take up some space?

I get you it’s just visualising it with my stone and I can’t quite get there (certainly not articulately) and I suspect that it will cause more confusion all round! I will sit on this idea though and see what I can find plus mull it over. Thank you.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think a picture-frame of baguettes would make it look more Deco. Prolly a lot more $, though, since I suspect would need to be custom-cut. I can't find a photo of what I'm thinking -- have seen a handful with big emerald-cut emeralds and aquas.

I like the ring and think the gallery is very elegant!

Yeah baguettes are gorgeous and I totally agree but I think they will push the price up even more and I need to draw a line somewhere.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like this design and agree with mjea that you can emulate this but with rounds instead of baguettes. It'll certainly also be easier for DK to emulate the taper, basket, etc in order to keep the balance and flow of the design without making it look like a ring pop. It also allows you to keep your halo.

Yes I think that’s a good find @mjea the only thing is making it work with my gallery.
First thoughts are bigger halo stones on more of a tilt.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This was a design I considered. But I decided to go down a more simplistic route. Perhaps it would lend itself to my stone. 2DCB4D06-E7CD-4371-8211-87BE5A16DDC1.png F11ED0D3-86B7-43A4-9F52-7EC59038B4F6.png What do others think?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No hand shots and profile (not angled) view?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok, I see a few things why it works with this design.

1. There is a lot of halo tilt, so it hides that top heavy appearance.
2. The base is extremely wide, pretty much the same width as the amethyst.

The downside is that there might be finger "overflow". Maybe the ring is too wide for the mannequin hand but the sides of the ring has encroached to the other 2 fingers due to the large halo + very angled tilt. The top part of the ring is wider than the shank, hence the curve back inwards towards the shank. See scroll-y bits.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, I see a few things why it works with this design.

1. There is a lot of halo tilt, so it hides that top heavy appearance.
2. The base is extremely wide, pretty much the same width as the amethyst.

The downside is that there might be finger "overflow". Maybe the ring is too wide for the mannequin hand but the sides of the ring has encroached to the other 2 fingers due to the large halo + very angled tilt. The top part of the ring is wider than the shank, hence the curve back inwards towards the shank. See scroll-y bits.

Yes I think I need halo tilt but also I think I need a wider halo. I don’t think it will do enough otherwise.
But the thing I do think as well is that stone is not as deep as mine.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They haven’t got measurements for the amethyst but there setting is 24.28 x 23 is ambiguous as to which was this measurement goes.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This was a design I considered. But I decided to go down a more simplistic route. Perhaps it would lend itself to my stone. 2DCB4D06-E7CD-4371-8211-87BE5A16DDC1.png F11ED0D3-86B7-43A4-9F52-7EC59038B4F6.png What do others think?

This also shows same concept I was attempting to convey about metalwork taking up some of the halo space so you don’t necessarily need double diamond row.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They haven’t got measurements for the amethyst but there setting is 24.28 x 23 is ambiguous as to which was this measurement goes.
I'm going to guess 24 mm in height, 23 mm in width. No depth measurement given. Unless you're saying it is 24 x 28 x 23?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@chrono I don’t think so -
‘This beautiful coloured amethyst is approximately 11.30 carats. The amethyst is surrounded by bright white diamonds which total approximately 0.76 carats set in 18 carat white gold with an 18 carat yellow gold band.Note the wonderful setting of the diamonds high quality of the period. Continental marks. The setting measures 24.38 mm across x 23.00 mm wide. Weight 9.06 grams. The ring size is N but we have a superb jeweller who can resize without a trace.’

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven’t read all the comments, how about turning it east west, keeping the halo and making it a bracelet? Of course you may not be a bracelet person but thought I would suggest it.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I haven’t read all the comments, how about turning it east west, keeping the halo and making it a bracelet? Of course you may not be a bracelet person but thought I would suggest it.

No I don’t blame you it’s getting a bit loooong! I am a bracelet person but I think it’s too deep to wear as a bracelet, well for any design I would want anyway but thank you anyway. I think I am going to keep it as a halo ring it’s just working out how to make the design work.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@meely, I totally get it, I’m a ring person so I would try to figure out how it could work as a ring. I’m sure there is a way.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When she said a man I think she meant Louis XIV

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results