shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: My ring mould came but it’s not right, what shall I do?

What should I do with my 10mm amethyst?

• Don’t do anything it’s way too deep to ever look great

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Yeah it’s high but it’s a cocktail ring who cares

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Change the setting design to one of the Art Deco style solitaires below

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Keep the design but make it into an east west pendant

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • I have a better idea and I’m going to say below

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love those big art deco cocktail rings
Im not into halos
Go east west if you want more finger coverage

And i echo the point you need to have it made so you will wear and enjoy it and not for it too live in a box

I already have an easy west halo and tbh I think this would be too wide even for little ole me :-o
Yes I like those other rings a lot too.
Yes I agree with your second point. It’s embarrassing going back again but I need to wear it as I do with everything else I own otherwise it’s just so wasteful!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like the top down look as is, and I don’t mind the height. You could try making the basket less ornate if you like, but I like your ring as it is better than your other inspo pics!

edit: I prefer your second CAD (which was the earlier one I believe) to the first. Looks more balanced to my eye. I like it a lot!

I like this side profile more too

Ok maybe I just keep with the same design and make the donut bigger and the basket more substantial.
Do you think it’s the taper that’s throwing things off? If it’s less dramatic would the proportions work better perhaps?
I do like the basket design I have now a lot I should add even though I appreciate it isn't to everyone’s taste I think it is really pretty and very Art Deco.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I already have an easy west halo and tbh I think this would be too wide even for little ole me :-o
Yes I like those other rings a lot too.
Yes I agree with your second point. It’s embarrassing going back again but I need to wear it as I do with everything else I own otherwise it’s just so wasteful!

What about not going with the halo ? a0093a3fba2848eb1c9d15533fddf40e.jpg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I am not much help but just to say I really like the ring despite the height! I also made some changes w DK after getting a mold.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What about not going with the halo ? a0093a3fba2848eb1c9d15533fddf40e.jpg

Lol yeah it’s starting from scratch though so I may need to fork out a bit to cover DK’s cost so far - not the end of the world but then I am scared it’s not going to work better with one of those designs and also that they will use even more gold and therefore it will be super heavy /a load more money.
I wanted an Art Deco look and debated between a tank solitaire (if that’s what you call them) like the aqua and amethyst rings I linked earlier and a halo (I have another thread with my inspiration pictures). I ultimately went with the halo design because that’s what my gut said. But of course perhaps it is the wrong design for this stone. So irritating if this was someone else’s design I would know exactly what I would do :lol:
And and daisy getting they are not your thing but I am a halo girl. I love ‘em!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Lol yeah it’s starting from scratch though so I may need to fork out a bit to cover DK’s cost so far - not the end of the world but then I am scared it’s not going to work better with one of those designs and also that they will use even more gold and therefore it will be super heavy /a load more money.
I wanted an Art Deco look and debated between a tank solitaire (if that’s what you call them) like the aqua and amethyst rings I linked earlier and a halo (I have another thread with my inspiration pictures). I ultimately went with the halo design because that’s what my gut said. But of course perhaps it is the wrong design for this stone. So irritating if this was someone else’s design I would know exactly what I would do :lol:
And and daisy getting they are not your thing but I am a halo girl. I love ‘em!

If you forgo the halo and add gold maybe it would offset in terms of cost?

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Okay... here is my input. As someone that just had a ring built that is too tall for preference. Another aqua, actually. Your stone-it's 10 mm deep. No getting around it. It is going to be high and bulky. I wouldn't spend the money. If you won't wear a pendant, I'd rehome the stone. I don't think you can "fix" this because the stone is so deep.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am not much help but just to say I really like the ring despite the height! I also made some changes w DK after getting a mold.

That’s totally helpful actually. It’s positive and it makes me feel better about making changes!
Do you think it would look more balanced with a wider and more tapered basket as per the original cad? As you actually like the design your opinion definitely feels relevant!

Ok maybe I just keep with the same design and make the donut bigger and the basket more substantial.
Do you think it’s the taper that’s throwing things off? If it’s less dramatic would the proportions work better perhaps?
I do like the basket design I have now a lot I should add even though I appreciate it isn't to everyone’s taste I think it is really pretty and very Art Deco.

I’m not sure what taper you’re referring to - I thought your second CAD was less tapered than the first (order of posting not order of creation) but from your other messages that I just saw I think I am looking at the wrong thing when I say taper. I like the proportions of 2 more. I think what I liked about the second cad was removing the scroll bits from the gap of the cathedral (I don’t know what the technical terms are). I think that would let your basket shine!

I would keep the halo - a little bit of diamond will bring out the richness of the amethyst and the ring is so big the extra finger coverage is minimal.

If you want to make the shank more substantial that might be a good idea as well... or a split shank like someone else mentioned up thread?

Honestly I like it, but I like big jewelry :D

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you forgo the halo and add gold maybe it would offset in terms of cost?

I don’t think so because it will still have diamonds plus extra weight. But your comments make me realise it’s the weight I am more concerned with. I am already going with 14k because of the weight even the mould is heavy lol

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The taper definitely accentuates that ring pop look. I have the same concerns when deciding on designs for larger mm CS.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think a less dramatic taper is probably a good call. I think what I liked about the second cad was removing the scroll bits from the gap of the cathedral (I don’t know what the technical terms are). I think that would let your basket shine!

I would keep the halo - a little bit of diamond will bring out the richness of the amethyst and the ring is so big the extra finger coverage is minimal.

If you want to make the shank more substantial that might be a good idea as well... or a split shank like someone else mentioned up thread?

Honestly I like it, but I like big jewelry :D

Thanks you are helping to make me feel more positive. I love big jewellery too, I’m not scared of the size just want a design that does the best for the stone and that I love! I don’t think split shank for it doesn’t feel like it will fit with the design but I may make it a Euro shank

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The taper definitely accentuates that ring pop look. I have the same concerns when deciding on designs for larger mm CS.

Yeah I guess I am concerned it could look cheap and out of cracker. I want it to be special and to be able to pass down to my daughter. I need to get this right!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't rush it though. It can be helpful to take a step back to refresh the mind.

Thanks you are helping to make me feel more positive. I love big jewellery too, I’m not scared of the size just want a design that does the best for the stone and that I love! I don’t think split shank for it doesn’t feel like it will fit with the design but I may make it a Euro shank

Just a heads up that I edited my comment because I didn’t realise what you meant by “taper” so in case I gave you bad feedback, my bad haha.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
For context, this is the ring that I had made that is much too tall and just "too much" for me, and no amount of fixing it would be possible.

With gold being so high I would really just make sure that if you do a ring it's going to be something you're happy with.

PXL_20210315_150903897.MP.jpg

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Okay... here is my input. As someone that just had a ring built that is too tall for preference. Another aqua, actually. Your stone-it's 10 mm deep. No getting around it. It is going to be high and bulky. I wouldn't spend the money. If you won't wear a pendant, I'd rehome the stone. I don't think you can "fix" this because the stone is so deep.

I think at this point it’s me understanding whether adjusting or amending the design will solve the problem for me. I get it’s a deep stone, I could have bought a genuine deco piece I didn’t because all those are too shallow and have windows (and are heavily abraded because of age/meh color!) I am comprising the design because I want a nice stone. I can live with that it’s a trade off. It’s whether I can get the design to work so it doesn’t look so OMG that’s a tall ring!
You saying rehome makes me feel like shouting ‘no it don’t want to, it’s mine!’ So hey maybe I’m getting somewhere!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I think that my ring is less tall than yours, so my preferences personally are probably playing into this too!

PXL_20210315_151258384.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210315_151305557.jpg
    PXL_20210315_151305557.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 16

adlgel

Shiny_Rock
For context, this is the ring that I had made that is much too tall and just "too much" for me, and no amount of fixing it would be possible.

With gold being so high I would really just make sure that if you do a ring it's going to be something you're happy with.

PXL_20210315_150903897.MP.jpg

Off topic but I just wanted to say your ring is gorgeous. I know it doesn’t work for you but it’s a beautiful design - the blue shades with the yellow gold and diamonds are just so striking.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s he designed it originally :???:
I thought too bulky. FBAF2FC0-B9A9-4A88-8851-5788C3F9F6C6.jpeg

I wonder if getting a wax of this cad to try on irl next to the first one would confirm or disprove thoughts.

edited to add
also - missed it if you said what color gold, if white and you are concerned about setting weight
Ask if the never needs plating nickel free alloy is lighterweight than the other.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Off topic but I just wanted to say your ring is gorgeous. I know it doesn’t work for you but it’s a beautiful design - the blue shades with the yellow gold and diamonds are just so striking.

Thanks! The colored accents are enamel actually.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wonder if getting a wax of this cad to try on irl next to the first one would confirm or disprove thoughts.

edited to add
also - missed it if you said what color gold, if white and you are concerned about setting weight
Ask if the never needs plating nickel free alloy is lighterweight than the other.

It’s going to be two tone. White gold got the halo. Yellow gold for basket and shank.
Yes a second mould/wax may be a good idea.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think that my ring is less tall than yours, so my preferences personally are probably playing into this too!

PXL_20210315_151258384.jpg

Yes less tall but yours looks needlessly tall am I right? That height would definitely bug me in context with the size of your stone.
It’s a pretty ring though!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just a heads up that I edited my comment because I didn’t realise what you meant by “taper” so in case I gave you bad feedback, my bad haha.

I think you got it right, I mean how the basket goes down to the donut, it’s at quite a an angle and others have suggested less of a angle so with a bigger donut might look more proportional and less top heavy. That’s what the first cad had (the one I posted later!)

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Don't rush it though. It can be helpful to take a step back to refresh the mind.

Yes I think I already did that though. I agree though I shouldn’t rush it or I will regret it!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think what might be bugging you is that although the stone is deep, it has a lower crown. That might be throwing you off. It’s a very bottom heavy gem. Your equally deep cabochon looks good to you because it is a larger dome and sits high above the basket. You could do longer prongs and a lower basket, but the girdle is more exposed, and as a large gem, it might not be as secure in the mount or protected.

My biggest concern is that the ring is so top heavy. I would want a euro shank.

Last edited:

mjea

Shiny_Rock
Hi @meely
I'm probably the least knowledgeable person on here, but for what it's worth I think it's very pretty! I've gone through a number of CADs with DK right now as well, and I'm pretty sure you're at least conveying your thoughts more intelligently than me. Example, "can we make the gallery more rounded... and upped?":shock:

I agree with other PSers about the gallery taper angle and larger donut more like your original CAD. With your earlier CAD you mentioned you thought it was bulky? Which part felt bulky for you? For the shank/shoulder, do you think it would help you feel less bulk if it met the head a little lower down on the gallery instead of right under where the halo edge is?

Sibsgirl

Shiny_Rock
Looking at the photos you attached, neither of them are halo designs, but they're balanced. In your mold, what stands out to me is that the straight line of the basket from finger to top of halo angles outward and gives a very top-heavy stance to the stone. This makes it feel as if the ring will tip. If I were designing this for myself, I'd consider two things: 1. Retain the gallery but drop the halo and widen the shank at the palm side to balance the weight at the top. 2. Go with something more simplistic like your photos. I love the second ring example with the scrolls and more minimal gallery. That will widen out the ring's finger coverage, giving it balance naturally.

Module

Shiny_Rock
I think it appears to be top heavy because the height of the basket makes up majority of the height from finger to top. I use a inspiration photo that @elle_71125 posted in your thread asking for gallery ideas for a rough illustration: in that picture B is approx. 50% of A while in your CAD it might be only 1/3 of A. Maybe pushing the position of halo more closer to the finger and reducing the height of gallery? Just my two cents.

InkedEF0EE680-6EF7-419E-AF83-1195AA1DB71D_D.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results