shape
carat
color
clarity

Poll: My ring mould came but it’s not right, what shall I do?

What should I do with my 10mm amethyst?

• Don’t do anything it’s way too deep to ever look great

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Yeah it’s high but it’s a cocktail ring who cares

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Change the setting design to one of the Art Deco style solitaires below

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Keep the design but make it into an east west pendant

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • I have a better idea and I’m going to say below

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I just got my ring mould through from David Klass and it’s just so tall. I knew it was going to be tall because the stone is deep but I think it might be verging on looking a little silly and because it’s so tall I am not going to get the Art Deco vibe I was after.
I think I should change it but I need to think carefully because quite frankly I’ve wasted DK’s time. I will offer to compensate him but even so I’m irritated with myself.
Here are the the cads and photos.
TBC View attachment 821207 22C27273-DEDF-4211-8646-064CC0EDF391.jpeg
118734BE-E952-42BA-AB04-D8572637B45F.jpeg FBEA3D16-431D-4B13-B3A4-BF57C0011936.jpeg 52E43A1E-99A2-4194-89A5-4502CE283A75.jpeg 8301C45B-B155-4CEF-95C9-FDD2AC744518.jpeg 318F1112-425E-432C-AF82-F2B477FDA96E.jpeg
It’s the same height or a little shorter than my emerald so I’m not sure I am bothered about the fact it’s so deep so much as the design. But then again the emerald is a cabochon so it’s a very different look.

Last edited:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
7CA195AC-5E21-498D-9A63-7C9DCC47C214.jpeg
6F2840BD-63AA-4F95-B5F2-159976344575.jpeg
Ok so here are some Art Deco solitaires that I loved. Maybe one of those would work better. 1B0DF949-27F8-4846-9449-1DE57649E848.jpeg

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have nothing major to add but I can see that there’s not much you can do about the height. Taking off the halo might really help to give that slightly more sleek, angular art-deco-y look. And I wouldn’t worry about DK, there have been lots of beautiful rings from him which have been discussed on here where there have been many, many changes to the original design!

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks @Snowdrop13 I cannot do anything about the height as you say. But perhaps it doesn’t lend itself to this design. I fear it looks like 1970s Art Deco revival rather than the genuine article.
Re DK thanks for your kind words this has already taken several cads though and worse than that I have another ring mould through today that I am thinking I might need to make into a halo as it isn’t giving me enough coverage. I just keep seeing threads where everything has been decided in 1/2 cads and I feel so awful like i must be the biggest pita ever.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's just no way around a 10 mm deep stone. DK has set it as low as possible at 11 mm, so he cannot make it any lower. If you don't like the way it looks, then opt for a redesign and pay whatever DK has spent in time and materials up to today.

Do you know the depth of those other rings shown? They look very interesting. Any side profile of those ON the finger like the way you showed in yours with the mould?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There's just no way around a 10 mm deep stone. DK has set it as low as possible at 11 mm, so he cannot make it any lower. If you don't like the way it looks, then opt for a redesign and pay whatever DK has spent in time and materials up to today.

Hey I understand he has set it as low as possible and obviously I will offer to pay for his time so far. The purpose of my post Is to ask for opinions on what I should do.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Redesign from scratch. If money is not an issue, best to get it right and enjoy wearing it rather than regret and have it sit in the box.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Redesign from scratch. If money is not an issue, best to get it right and enjoy wearing it rather than regret and have it sit in the box.

I agree yes. I wouldn’t say money is not an issue but I don’t want a ring I don’t wear that cost a lot of money. What do you think about the ideas I posted above?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Will there be milgrain on the halo and engraving on the shank? If so then the ring will look quite different in the end. Maybe a less busy looking basket...

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looking at the CAD and the wax mould, here are my opinions:

1. The stone is already set as low as possible
2. The ring looks top heavy and imbalance
3. The shank could be made wider/more substantial for a better balance
4. I would be inclined to drop the scroll between the shank and basket/gallery to make that space fully enclosed/solid
5. Add more horizontal line(s) in the basket/gallery and less flowery scrolls

Personal preferences and all that.

Good luck!

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would consider a pendant, honestly, but with personal preference I would rarely wear a cocktail ring that big/high.

Only my pearl rings are that high, and I would only wear them at occasions where they are unlikely to bump into anything, reads no dancing! :lol-2:

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would consider a pendant, honestly, but with personal preference I would rarely wear a cocktail ring that big/high.

Yeah I don’t mind the height or the size. It’s more I don’t think the design looks right.
I think it could look nice as a pendant I am just not sure I will wear it. Perhaps my presence is for smaller pendants or a different shape as well.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Will there be milgrain on the halo and engraving on the shank? If so then the ring will look quite different in the end. Maybe a less busy looking basket...

Yes lots of milgrain was planned. Lol I like the basket design it’s just the height of it which obviously is not changeable.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Looking at the CAD and the wax mould, here are my opinions:

1. The stone is already set as low as possible
2. The ring looks top heavy and imbalance
3. The shank could be made wider/more substantial for a better balance
4. I would be inclined to drop the scroll between the shank and basket/gallery to make that space fully enclosed/solid
5. Add more horizontal line(s) in the basket/gallery and less flowery scrolls

Personal preferences and all that.

Good luck!

I think no. 2 is the point that is putting me off the ring. Because of the depth of the stone it is hard to balance it.

I like the basket design and I think that’s definitely personal preference but it’s a lot of basket what ever design you do.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Only my pearl rings are that high, and I would only wear them at occasions where they are unlikely to bump into anything, reads no dancing! :lol-2:

Yeah I am not so bothered about the height in terms of wearability so much as the design. It’s the same height as my emerald and I wear that plenty and not just as a cocktail ring.
Would it work better with a different design something more hefty perhaps. What do you think of the other designs I posted?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Yes lots of milgrain was planned. Lol I like the basket design it’s just the height of it which obviously is not changeable.

Can you include some sides (like the ribbon and scroll designs in your inspirations? That seems to be the look you want but I worry that it will make your ring even bigger... pricier too given more metal. And maybe need a thicker shank else your ring may rotate too much.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you include some sides (like the ribbon and scroll designs in your inspirations? That seems to be the look you want but I worry that it will make your ring even bigger... pricier too given more metal. And maybe need a thicker shank else your ring may rotate too much.

I think I would redesign the whole thing if I was going with the sides.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cab "works" as a ring because the center of gravity is very low. From a balance perspective, the chonk is all at the bottom close to the finger. This is possible because its widest point is at the base. This does not work for a faceted stone where the weight is at the top.

In order for this to work in a ring, you have to design a heavy "base" and leave the top light and open.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The cab "works" as a ring because the center of gravity is very low. From a balance perspective, the chonk is all at the bottom close to the finger. This is possible because its widest point is at the base. This does not work for a faceted stone where the weight is at the top.

In order for this to work in a ring, you have to design a heavy "base" and leave the top light and open.

Yes that is what I was thinking. Maybe that’s what those other two rings would achieve but perhaps too much gold and therefore too heavy/costly as others have suggested.
Hopefully others might chime in. At the moment I am thinking I might be better stopping the project and just paying DKs costs.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

It’s for this amethyst right? A halo isn’t a bad idea for protection given how tall the stone is. Will hesitate to set the stone without all the protective sides... but... it’s an amethyst. Personally I try not to spend too much on settings for semi-precious stones.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think maybe the ‘donut’ bigger, so the basket/gallery walls are less angled.
These aren’t designs I’m suggesting - just visuals
4F383A35-5AE5-4E37-B1E1-C860C569077E.jpeg
Both of the examples I gave above were pretty close to same mm above finger that yours is.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

It’s for this amethyst right? A halo isn’t a bad idea for protection given how tall the stone is. Will hesitate to set the stone without all the protective sides... but... it’s an amethyst. Personally I try not to spend too much on settings for semi-precious stones.

Yes that’s right. I don’t mind spending the money, I love amethysts. I wouldn’t get a large purple stone like this unless I went for an amethyst anyway.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think maybe the ‘donut’ bigger, so the basket/gallery walls are less angled.
These aren’t designs I’m suggesting - just visuals
4F383A35-5AE5-4E37-B1E1-C860C569077E.jpeg
Both of the examples I gave above were pretty close to same mm above finger that yours is.

That’s he designed it originally :???:
I thought too bulky. FBAF2FC0-B9A9-4A88-8851-5788C3F9F6C6.jpeg

I like the top down look as is, and I don’t mind the height. You could try making the basket less ornate if you like, but I like your ring as it is better than your other inspo pics!

edit: I prefer your second CAD (which was the earlier one I believe) to the first. Looks more balanced to my eye. I like it a lot!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree yes. I wouldn’t say money is not an issue but I don’t want a ring I don’t wear that cost a lot of money. What do you think about the ideas I posted above?

I love those big art deco cocktail rings
Im not into halos
Go east west if you want more finger coverage

And i echo the point you need to have it made so you will wear and enjoy it and not for it too live in a box

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maybe a split shank to balance it more?

I’m ok with the top down view I think it’s how high it looks off my finger which I don’t care for as it looks unbalanced

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results