shape
carat
color
clarity

Plz help ... Urgent

silence_of_the_sea

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, although I have browsed and searched the forums quite a bit. I''m hoping you all might be able to share your expertise and knowledge with me.

The background:
I want to buy a pre-owned Tiffany PR Solitaire. I priced out “many” loose diamonds through the usual places people refer to here on these forums, and they come out cheaper in price overall. But to be honest, at least in my eyes, there is just something about this PR solitaire ring that can’t be replicated. At the end of my decision, I don’t want to get her something that was a replica. I couldn't afford a brand new tiffany ring, but I want to give her the best possible.

Long story short, I am about to purchase a pre-owned Tiffany PR Solitaire ring and would like your expert input/help on how to protect myself

**edited at OPs request**
):

1. Does anything about this auction/purchase/ring/seller seem fishy to you?
2. Would you think it is still very risky although the seller has 100% rating and he has the original receipt and a 14 day return police?
3. Would you recommend flying there in person to check it out? The seller said he can meet with me in Houston either at Tiffanys or a certigied GIA gemologist of my choice
4. The seller doesn't accept the escrow service, should I pay with Paypal through my credit cards?

Any advice is much appreciated!

- Ken

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IDJ had a 1.5 E Tiffany ring (pre-loved) when I was there a few months ago. I would give them a call and ask if they still have it. I would feel more comfortable buying from a PS recommended vendor than from a random person on ebay.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's ID Jewelry in NYC, btw

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It sold - did YOU buy it?

silence_of_the_sea

Rough_Rock
I did. But now that I think of it, I am terrified of paying. It has a 14 day return policy, right? I should be covered, right? I am terrified.. Please help.

Q

Queenie60

If you don't want to pay - contact Ebay help center or customer service. Or send an email to the seller telling them that you changed your mind as this is a very large purchase and you need to do more research prior to purchasing. $20,000 is a lot of money to quickly spend. I am sure you can get out of the transaction - this is a very large amount of money. Hope you can resolve. If you are terrified, don't pay and try to legitimately get out of the transaction. Good luck :wavey:

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're concerned, the plan to meet at Tiffany's or a gemologist should work just fine - although I would probably go with a good appraiser in the same area and *then* ask him to accompany you to Tiffany to check and make sure it was originally a Tiffany ring. You might want to start a new thread asking for a PS known appraiser in that area. Failing that, I'd call Brian Gavin Diamonds (1-866-611-4465), or White Flash (877-612-6770), who are both in that area and may be able to refer you to an appraiser.

Does he have the original Tiffany paperwork? And do you know if Tiffany put an ID number on their diamonds? That's one easy way to check authenticity.

Don't panic - there's no need at this point, or at any point, from what I can see.

ETA If you want a Tiffany ring, and you want specs of this nature, you will have already discovered that you *have* to go second hand. EBay is a common and reasonable way of doing this, so long as you can be assured that what you're buying is what you've been told you're buying. Some paperwork, a trip to the appraiser and a quick visit in Tiffany should assure you of that. Frankly, I think the fact that he's willing to do any of these things is a good sign.

ETA 2... See my post below for an update on this. I think just going to Tiffany is your best bet.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aaaahhh - I went to the original listing - and saw the seller has ALL the original paperwork, as well as the receipt. This is a very good thing. You're definitely off to the races re assuring provenance. As you will have realized, Tiffany pieces have excellent resale value, so if the original owner really did pay $38k + for it, then you're getting a great deal - so long as Tiffany is what you truly want - and it sounds as though it is.

One thing, though, Ken; in the paperwork there's a copy of the name and address of the original purchaser. This isn't really fair or safe for him, so you might want to delete that link in the interests of his privacy.

Also, after reading up on it, I can tell you that Tiffany stones DO have a laser inscription etched onto the crown of the diamond. It starts off T&Co.XXXXXXXX - the XXXX being the serial number for the stone - specific to Tiffany. An appraiser will be able to tell you if this is there. A Tiffany store should be able to also. On the inside of the band is the actual ring's serial number. If you take the ring to Tiffany they will be able to check this for you also.

Honestly, it seems to me that - although people often try to palm off fake Tiffany-lookalikes, it's actually almost impossible to properly fake a Tiffany ring, so long as you know what to look for.

Go to Tiffany, take the ring. Take the paperwork. They should be able to check its authenticity for you. It seems to me that it probably is a Tiffany ring - given that he has the paperwork and is willing to meet you wherever you like to have it authenticated. And if it is - it's a great deal for a Tiffany ring of this kind. Given that the seller has the receipt, Tiffany should also be able to check their records and make sure that this exact ring was sold by them, and verify the store of its sale. You can't get much more verification than that.

I've added a few links so you can check you're crossing your T's and dotting your I's.

Good luck!

http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-spot-fake-Tiffany-Co-diamond-rings-/10000000014837928/g.html

http://bloomsburymanor.com/blogs/why-buy-jewellery-online/16209520-detailed-guide-to-buying-a-second-hand-tiffany-co-engagement-ring-online

cjhom

Rough_Rock
silence_of_the_sea|1468531287|4055503 said:
I did. But now that I think of it, I am terrified of paying. It has a 14 day return policy, right? I should be covered, right? I am terrified.. Please help.

It looks like it comes in a black box. Aren't Tiffany rings usually in teal boxes? It could very much be a real Tiffany ring, you just won't get the full "Tiffany Experience" without the classic packaging.

EDIT: it totally says tiffany & co on the box... DOH. Guess there are black boxes too..

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cjhom|1468534378|4055517 said:
silence_of_the_sea|1468531287|4055503 said:

It looks like it comes in a black box. Aren't Tiffany rings usually in teal boxes? It could very much be a real Tiffany ring, you just won't get the full "Tiffany Experience" without the classic packaging.

EDIT: it totally says tiffany & co on the box... DOH. Guess there are black boxes too..

cjhom - my Tiffany pieces were in black boxes. The black box then goes in a teal blue cardboard box. On the ebay add, you'll see a teal blue box attached to this ring which, I suspect, was for the paperwork. I think he's getting the 'full meal deal' here. I'm pretty sure Tiffany would hit him up with a new blue cardboard box if he's there anyway getting it verified.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Black box

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the marriage broke up - this is what many people do - turn to eBay - nothing unusual there.

silence_of_the_sea

Rough_Rock
THANK YOU so much for your input.

If I go meet him in person, wouldn't I lose the ebay buyer protection or the 14 days return policy?

To be honest, guys, I am terrified. I also feel bad. I should have known better before bidding.

silence_of_the_sea

Rough_Rock
I agree that the seller shouldn't put the original purchaser's information on the internet too.

Please let me know how I can delete the ebay link. It doesn't seem like I can edit the pricescope post.

I can edit a reply post but not the original post. If you know how to edit the OP, please let me know. Thanks

cjhom

Rough_Rock
silence_of_the_sea|1468535544|4055528 said:
I agree that the seller shouldn't put the original purchaser's information on the internet too.

Please let me know how I can delete the ebay link. It doesn't seem like I can edit the pricescope post.

I can't see any of that info from the link. Once an item is sold on ebay most of the details disappear. I wouldn't be terrified, you're protected by ebay and paypal. The seller has a 14 day return as well. The ring might end up being everything you wanted at a major discount.

Be sure to follow these steps once you get the ring to ensure the authenticity.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-spot-fake-Tiffany-Co-diamond-rings-/10000000014837928/g.html

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can edit a reply post but not the original post. If you know how to edit the OP, please let me know. Thanks

Click the Report Concern link and ask the mods to remove it. And good luck! I think you have little cause for concern and am not sure why you need to fell badly or scared. I bought my engagement ring from a reputable brick and mortar store. Somebody in the process stole my diamond. You can be ripped off anywhere. Do your due diligence and you'll be fine.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cjhom|1468535996|4055530 said:

I can't see any of that info from the link. Once an item is sold on ebay most of the details disappear. I wouldn't be terrified, you're protected by ebay and paypal. The seller has a 14 day return as well. The ring might end up being everything you wanted at a major discount.

The details only disappear from the sold listing. If you look carefully, next to the heading on the link which says Tiffany and Co. 1.52ct G VVS2 Diamond Engagement Ring - you'll see in purple in tiny writing 'See original listing'. Click on that then scroll down. You'll see all the original photos that way.

SCARLETTE

Shiny_Rock
If you go in person to Tiffany's or to a reputable appraiser who can confirm authenticity, then why worry about losing buyer protection? Even if you did, you don't need it, since the authenticity would have been confirmed.

cjhom

Rough_Rock
mrs-blop|1468536409|4055533 said:
cjhom|1468535996|4055530 said:

The details only disappear from the sold listing. If you look carefully, next to the heading on the link which says Tiffany and Co. 1.52ct G VVS2 Diamond Engagement Ring - you'll see in purple in tiny writing 'See original listing'. Click on that then scroll down. You'll see all the original photos that way.

Ah.. didn't know that thanks for pointing that out.

silence_of_the_sea

Rough_Rock
mrs-blop|1468536184|4055532 said:

Click the Report Concern link and ask the mods to remove it. And good luck! I think you have little cause for concern and am not sure why you need to fell badly or scared. I bought my engagement ring from a reputable brick and mortar store. Somebody in the process stole my diamond. You can be ripped off anywhere. Do your due diligence and you'll be fine.

Thank you thank you! I did report on the concern link. AND THANK YOU so much for being with me here. I will keep you updated!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
silence_of_the_sea|1468537970|4055544 said:
I am flying down. Wish me luck!

Bunch of fun! Good luck - and have a great time!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results