shape
carat
color
clarity

Please show me your backsplash...

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Missy. This morning, we are back at the marble-like quartz with a herringbone backsplash. lol. Looking for a different herringbone, one that goes better with the counter, and have basically turned it over to the designer at this point. That's really great that your granite has held up so well. I think my husband prefers the granite, but won't admit it because he thinks I like the quartz, which I do! Did you like the marble elongated hex with the black granite?? Feels like it would be an easy decision to make since I am really toiling over this backsplash.

ILikeShiny - I love that granite! It's beautiful. Can't wait to see finished photos. What's the timeline like for your new home? I have no idea. And, will you have a farmhouse style sink? I was stunned to find that many of the sinks now have the drain in the upper right quadrant of the sink. I really don't like it. AT ALL.

And, can we talk about ovens. Right now we have a double oven. I haven't looked at appliances yet, but I guess there's an option to get a convection oven with microwave as one of the ovens. We tend to be appliance heavy, mixer is on the counter, toaster oven is on the counter, microwave was on the counter but has been temporarily moved, so it would be appealing to me to get micro in a wall, but I do really like having the double ovens (but really only use for several times a year baking, maybe 10 times a year.) Do you think double ovens are more appealing to new buyers, which is almost an irrelevant question to me since we are not planning to move anytime in the next decade or so, lol!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And, now my husband just said let's paint the cabinets light grey. :lol:

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And, now my husband just said let's paint the cabinets light grey. :lol:

Pretty unobtrusive. There is also aversion that folds down from under the cabinets, but it would have interfered with the lighting we selected.
IMG_6309.PNG IMG_6319.PNG

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, rocks. This is really great! Now, I know better what to look for!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Missy. This morning, we are back at the marble-like quartz with a herringbone backsplash. lol. Looking for a different herringbone, one that goes better with the counter, and have basically turned it over to the designer at this point. That's really great that your granite has held up so well. I think my husband prefers the granite, but won't admit it because he thinks I like the quartz, which I do! Did you like the marble elongated hex with the black granite?? Feels like it would be an easy decision to make since I am really toiling over this backsplash.

ILikeShiny - I love that granite! It's beautiful. Can't wait to see finished photos. What's the timeline like for your new home? I have no idea. And, will you have a farmhouse style sink? I was stunned to find that many of the sinks now have the drain in the upper right quadrant of the sink. I really don't like it. AT ALL.

And, can we talk about ovens. Right now we have a double oven. I haven't looked at appliances yet, but I guess there's an option to get a convection oven with microwave as one of the ovens. We tend to be appliance heavy, mixer is on the counter, toaster oven is on the counter, microwave was on the counter but has been temporarily moved, so it would be appealing to me to get micro in a wall, but I do really like having the double ovens (but really only use for several times a year baking, maybe 10 times a year.) Do you think double ovens are more appealing to new buyers, which is almost an irrelevant question to me since we are not planning to move anytime in the next decade or so, lol!

My dh who is a wonderful chef and the sole cook in our family prefers one oven actually. We had double ovens in our first house and rarely needed/used them so it depends on your needs and obviously YMMV. At our NYC home we had a convection microwave and regular oven in lieu of the double ovens we had at our beach house (did both homes the same time before we realized we didn/t need or want double ovens or convection microwave plus oven) and again I think Greg used it once or twice. And it was a nice convection oven...actually we still have that one I believe. LOL you can see the extent of my cooking knowledge.

The thing is my dh grills outside often even in the winter so he can use the oven and the grill and that seems to be sufficient for his oven needs. So what would work best for you? IF you want double ovens get them but don't get them just for future resale because IOE potential purchasers will probably redo the whole kitchen anyway and by the time you are ready to sell the apppliances will be old and people want the newer models.

Love those above examples-all beautiful kitchens and love the backsplashes. I like herringbone very much. Adds pizzaz and personality to the right kitchen.:appl:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't actually gotten the tiles (so keep finger crossed that I like them - but I think I figured out my backsplash!
the majority will be this textured white tile https://www.wayfair.com/home-improv...-fabric-lookfield-tile-in-white-belc1215.html
And behind the stove and also as accents these tiles ttps://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/the-bella-collection-makar-italian-475-x-7-ceramic-field-tile-in-bluegray-belc1221.html.

And for the walls, a light gray (olympic "tornado"). I also bought a yellow paint (glidden "frittata") but I'm 90% sure going with the light gray.

As a reminder, my cabinets are light maple, floor is green linoleum and granite is a mixed brown/gray color (golden garnet). This is not my kitchen, but an example how the countertop looks
https://www.google.com/search?q=gol...AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=891#imgrc=ym9JIpBvTvFc0M:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't actually gotten the tiles (so keep finger crossed that I like them - but I think I figured out my backsplash!
the majority will be this textured white tile https://www.wayfair.com/home-improv...-fabric-lookfield-tile-in-white-belc1215.html
And behind the stove and also as accents these tiles ttps://www.wayfair.com/home-improvement/pdp/the-bella-collection-makar-italian-475-x-7-ceramic-field-tile-in-bluegray-belc1221.html.

And for the walls, a light gray (olympic "tornado"). I also bought a yellow paint (glidden "frittata") but I'm 90% sure going with the light gray.

As a reminder, my cabinets are light maple, floor is green linoleum and granite is a mixed brown/gray color (golden garnet). This is not my kitchen, but an example how the countertop looks
https://www.google.com/search?q=gol...AUICygC&biw=1280&bih=891#imgrc=ym9JIpBvTvFc0M:

Looks lovely!:love: My fingers are crossed for you that it turns out just how you want it to. :appl:

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
We are doing brushed gold or bronze, whatever you want to call it, pulls and knobs and faucet.

Ahhh, I am envious of your hardware! I tried hard to get husband on board with that finish, but it was a no go for him. I think it looks so sharp and on trend with white or grey cabinets :)

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium

Looking forward to seeing it all together!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ladies! :wavey:

I just wanted to share some photos of my "mini" kitchen remodel! I'm in love with the all white look these days so I chose a cashmere carrarra quartz from MSI for both my backsplash and countertops (to give it a seamless look). It's so light and bright now--a perfect backdrop for future bling photos! :sun:

IMG_6261.jpg

Last edited:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another view with some pops of red to contrast with the white.
IMG_6263.jpg

One of my favorite parts of the kitchen remodel is the waterfall quartz counter!
IMG_6244.jpg

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@m-2-b I love it all! Those pops of color are just perfect. Have any photos of the entire kitchen to share?

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another view with some pops of red to contrast with the white.
IMG_6263.jpg

One of my favorite parts of the kitchen remodel is the waterfall quartz counter!
IMG_6244.jpg

Gorgeous. I'd lose my mind with all that white tho:P2 (clean freak over here)

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous. I'd lose my mind with all that white tho:P2 (clean freak over here)

I guess that will be the price I pay to have a white kitchen, lol! I will be motivated to keep it clean! :))

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Loveeeeeee :love::love::love: but obviously since it's reminiscent of mine! I too have some red accents, which I adore!

Great minds think alike in both kitchen design and bling, lol! ;))

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Ladies! :wavey:

I just wanted to share some photos of my "mini" kitchen remodel! I'm in love with the all white look these days so I chose a cashmere carrarra quartz from MSI for both my backsplash and countertops (to give it a seamless look). It's so light and bright now--a perfect backdrop for future bling photos! :sun:

IMG_6261.jpg

Thanks, @ILikeShiny! Here's another view for you:
IMG_6254.jpg

@m-2-b GORGEOUS! Just my style. :kiss2: Fresh and clean and crisp and bright. LOVE.
Beautiful remodel and cannot wait to see your bling against the backdrop.:appl:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hola HC! I am back from the world of dental craziness.

My sofa - it's crate and barrel and this its 3rd slipcover, but the first one custom made, I love it!!!

Thank you hope you are well.

Kate

I’m coming to this thread very, very late. Your home is beautiful! I want to marry your sofa! Can you please tell me about it? I looks so comfortable!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dh who is a wonderful chef and the sole cook in our family prefers one oven actually. We had double ovens in our first house and rarely needed/used them so it depends on your needs and obviously YMMV. At our NYC home we had a convection microwave and regular oven in lieu of the double ovens we had at our beach house (did both homes the same time before we realized we didn/t need or want double ovens or convection microwave plus oven) and again I think Greg used it once or twice. And it was a nice convection oven...actually we still have that one I believe. LOL you can see the extent of my cooking knowledge.

The thing is my dh grills outside often even in the winter so he can use the oven and the grill and that seems to be sufficient for his oven needs. So what would work best for you? IF you want double ovens get them but don't get them just for future resale because IOE potential purchasers will probably redo the whole kitchen anyway and by the time you are ready to sell the apppliances will be old and people want the newer models.

Love those above examples-all beautiful kitchens and love the backsplashes. I like herringbone very much. Adds pizzaz and personality to the right kitchen.:appl:

Of course, this all makes perfect sense, Missy. Thanks so much for putting it that way. And, of course, someone down the road may want to change the kitchen anyway!

Waiting for designer to locate that herringbone ... and then I think we'll be able to get things started!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! Sorry... I missed this. Timeline is all up in the air as of this morning :whistle:. They were supposed to start clearing things this week BUT we got an email from our sales agent that they'd just met with the engineers and learned that the equestrian easement that is next to our lot (a long gravel road leading to the fields behind our house) had actually been added to our lot by the previous developer to prevent utility companies from using it. The good news is that it adds an extra 1/2 acre to our lot, for free! But, that now throws the decision of where to build our driveway and place our house up in the air (as far as we're concerned), so there are conversations to be had. If we move it (which we probably want to, as it would mean no longer tearing down a bunch of trees), then everything has to go back to the engineers to reconfigure where to put the drain fields, angle of the house, exact coordinates of where to dig, etc..... In short, it's probably at least a 3-4 week delay. In the end it will be worth it as we'd have more trees but we need to also get the developer on board. It's better for them too as it will reduce their costs in several ways but it depends on if they're willing to revisit everything.

Personally, I love double ovens and use ours fairly often. I'd say your decision should depend on how often you cook and how often you entertain. Our new home actually has four ovens if I remember correctly and I'm super excited about it as I like to cook in big batches and we entertain fairly often. I'm not one to use a microwave as an oven so I can't speak to that, but I think that's one of the ovens we're being given so I guess I should learn about it :mrgreen2:.

Last edited:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh gosh, that is a very exciting development! Wow, I hope everything works out and you are able to move the driveway and keep those trees!!

That's alotta ovens! I really only use the second one for baking a few times a year, so I'm going to look into whatever this combo appliance is and maybe that'll work.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This extra 1/2 acre is turning in to a really complex situation. We met with our building rep last Sunday and she said everyone was caught completely off guard by this, as apparently the developer (owner of the land) made this change six months ago and didn't tell anyone. We laid out what we wanted to happen (Option A: They have the easement removed, it becomes our property alone, and they plant grass and trees so it blends with the rest of our land; Option B: The easement stays but they plant grass and trees and the HOA takes full responsibility for its maintenance and liability; or Option C: they have to give that extra land to someone else :twisted:).

We got an email yesterday with an update; essentially, the builder is completely stymied at this point and everyone is scrambling.

"Our chief counsel just got back this afternoon. Our director of land development, who I met with again this morning, was to meet with him and others such as VP of production, division president, etc. Some of our management team are still on vacation until Monday, but steps are being taken.

I don’t have your answers yet, but wanted to touch base to let you know we are working on the issue. There are many pieces to this puzzle so they are trying to put them all together and get the developer to make definitive decisions."

We've started looking in to legal counsel in case it gets to that point. Our realtor was great at the meeting though and got verbal assurance that the builder will do what they can to make this right by us. We hate the thought of walking away at this point, but we absolutely will not assume liability for a piece of land that anyone with a horse is welcome to use.

The good part is that we don't have to figure this out. The builder is really the one in a pickle, as we have a legal contract for them to build our house on the original plot of land and they can't proceed with anything until we sign off on a new agreement.

I'll update when we know more!

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
ILikeShiny, so sorry you have to deal with things in the air. Hoping the people who need to figure it out do so in a quicky and satisfactory manner!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Small update. The builder is essentially turning this issue of the extra land/easement over to the developer (owner of the land) as they are in control of the HOA and would be the one to make the decisions about the easement's use/appearance/maintenance. A meeting will be set up with them and us (plus our realtor) but it will be at least a week and a half before everyone is available. Apparently the developer has given answers to our questions/desires to the builder, but the builder isn't allowed to tell us those answers without clearance from their attorney. We've asked to get those answers prior to the meeting so we can digest what's being proposed before needing to discuss it.

We've located an attorney should we need one, but our realtor is advising to just go and listen for now.

And in other news, I guess they're nearing the end of finishing the quote for our bathroom tile/fixtures as I got a note that they can't get the light I chose! Now mind you, to streamline things I chose a light from the same manufacturer that our faucets and accessories are coming from (and which they don't have an issue getting) so I'm all shades of confused o_O. I had to just take some deep breaths and go on the hunt again, trying to remind myself that all things happen for a reason.

In the end we switched from this (30" length)
Waterhill.jpg

To this (36" length)
Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 4.01.51 PM.png

I can't remember if I ever shared the PowerPoint slide I made of our bathroom choices (I used it to help me visualize it all together, and have a slide for every room I customized). It was very helpful with choosing this new light and I think everything still blends well. I almost chose one that was a bit more "victorian" looking, but that's not really the vibe I'm going for; I want more of a rustic but elegant feel. Hopefully that's what's conveyed!

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 4.27.27 PM.png

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results