shape
carat
color
clarity

Please show me your backsplash...

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
@ILikeShiny fingers crossed for your upcoming meeting. I agree that the substitute lights you picked still coordinate well, even if they weren't your first choice :)

Mini update for us (no pics yet! Holding off until more overt visual progress is made):

Demo is done. Wiring and plumbing moved. Overhead lighting changed from giant fluorescent blob and paddle fan to a gazillion (really, 9 or so) recessed lights. One window gone, the other has been removed and re-framed for new (shorter) size. Waiting for the new window to arrive to be put in. Cabinets have arrived, flooring has arrived.

Our little hiccups:
-We were hoping to remove the entire soffit so the cabinets could go up to ceiling, but there was some functional plumbing in one part of the room that couldn't moved without great effort and cost. However, the crew was able to tuck it up a little bit, to allow for the teeniest soffit ever, just over the window and terminating into the top of one cabinet. I can live with that :)
-Our window selection (wood not vinyl, to match the rest of the house) ended up being twice the allowance we were allotted, when they priced out the double slider I wanted vs. as a single slider. We debated, and in the end decided to pay the extra. I don't ever want to look back and regret not getting what I truly wanted (a.k.a. peace of mind = priceless).

Coming up: prep for hardwood happening today, and floors should hopefully be going down tomorrow!

Other than that we're just hanging in there. I lovvvve the new refrigerator, which is currently residing in the living room :lol-2: I miss having a stove and oven! I whisper to the new one waiting in the garage: soooon, sooon I will use you, my precious. The dishwasher I chose is still sold out and they're not even sure when it will show up in store inventory as being on backorder. Crossing all the fingers, because I do not want to swap it for another brand/model.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ILikeShiny fingers crossed for your upcoming meeting. I agree that the substitute lights you picked still coordinate well, even if they weren't your first choice :)

Mini update for us (no pics yet! Holding off until more overt visual progress is made):

Demo is done. Wiring and plumbing moved. Overhead lighting changed from giant fluorescent blob and paddle fan to a gazillion (really, 9 or so) recessed lights. One window gone, the other has been removed and re-framed for new (shorter) size. Waiting for the new window to arrive to be put in. Cabinets have arrived, flooring has arrived.

Our little hiccups:
-We were hoping to remove the entire soffit so the cabinets could go up to ceiling, but there was some functional plumbing in one part of the room that couldn't moved without great effort and cost. However, the crew was able to tuck it up a little bit, to allow for the teeniest soffit ever, just over the window and terminating into the top of one cabinet. I can live with that :)
-Our window selection (wood not vinyl, to match the rest of the house) ended up being twice the allowance we were allotted, when they priced out the double slider I wanted vs. as a single slider. We debated, and in the end decided to pay the extra. I don't ever want to look back and regret not getting what I truly wanted (a.k.a. peace of mind = priceless).

Coming up: prep for hardwood happening today, and floors should hopefully be going down tomorrow!

Other than that we're just hanging in there. I lovvvve the new refrigerator, which is currently residing in the living room :lol-2: I miss having a stove and oven! I whisper to the new one waiting in the garage: soooon, sooon I will use you, my precious. The dishwasher I chose is still sold out and they're not even sure when it will show up in store inventory as being on backorder. Crossing all the fingers, because I do not want to swap it for another brand/model.

Thanks Elizabethness! I appreciate your chiming in and confirming it would look okay. The rounded stems don't appear to be as thick, but hopefully it will still blend well.

Your update is SO exciting!!!! It sounds like there's a lot of movement and changes underfoot. Glad you got the soffit issue resolved to your satisfaction.

AND WE NEED PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Finally some good news!

We just received the final three quotes for our master bathroom design :appl:. We submitted this request/design on March 25 o_O and they just now got back to us with everything. Along the way were a few snafus and forced design changes. In the end though it's a bathroom we can still be be very very happy with.

In the end, their total quote came in a bit more than we were hoping for but not enough to make us go back to the drawing board.

So now all pieces of our custom selections are DONE and signed off on :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

All that's left is figuring out the easement; we have a meeting set for this coming Sunday to hear their proposition and hopefully make way towards a resolution. They're ready to begin clearing once that's settled!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats @ILikeShiny, sounds like exciting progress!!

@elizabethess Ahhhh yayyy for your updates!! Sounds like things are really coming along!! We need pics!! :appl:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats @ILikeShiny, sounds like exciting progress!!

@elizabethess Ahhhh yayyy for your updates!! Sounds like things are really coming along!! We need pics!! :appl:
Thanks AC! It’s quiet around here these days so I feel like I’m talking to myself sometimes :lol:

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
The floors are currently down, but coming right back out :doh: the project leader didn't like how they were laid (there's a bit of drift/shift beyond his tolerance) and is ordering a re-do from the subcontractor. That should be happening tomorrow. But, here's a little taste of how nice and cohesive it will feel: (Ignore the terrible lighting, shot at night with limited light).

HWfloors2.jpg

The peninsula cabinets were designed to lay right in the little jig of the decorative inlay, on the left, the way the previous half wall did.

As a reminder, the pergo floor the previous owners slapped on top of the original linoleum:

old kitchen.jpg
IMG_5485.jpg

Here's where we were a couple weeks ago:

middle of work.jpg

Last edited:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The floors are currently down, but coming right back out :doh: the project leader didn't like how they were laid (there's a bit of drift/shift beyond his tolerance) and is ordering a re-do from the subcontractor. That should be happening tomorrow. But, here's a little taste of how nice and cohesive it will feel: (Ignore the terrible lighting, shot at night with limited light).

HWfloors2.jpg
The floor looks great!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HWfloors2.jpg

The peninsula cabinets were designed to lay right in the little jig of the decorative inlay, on the left, the way the previous half wall did.

As a reminder, the pergo floor the previous owners slapped on top of the original linoleum:

old kitchen.jpg
IMG_5485.jpg

Here's where we were a couple weeks ago:

middle of work.jpg

What a difference and I am sure after the (hopefully final redo of the floors) it will look amazing. Nice choice :love: @elizabethess

Finally some good news!
We just received the final three quotes for our master bathroom design :appl:. We submitted this request/design on March 25 o_O and they just now got back to us with everything. Along the way were a few snafus and forced design changes. In the end though it's a bathroom we can still be be very very happy with.

In the end, their total quote came in a bit more than we were hoping for but not enough to make us go back to the drawing board.

So now all pieces of our custom selections are DONE and signed off on :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

All that's left is figuring out the easement; we have a meeting set for this coming Sunday to hear their proposition and hopefully make way towards a resolution. They're ready to begin clearing once that's settled!

Woohoo! Congratulations @ILikeShiny...loving all the progress!

Girls, I am so pleased to see all your projects coming together so wonderfully. Thank you for sharing it with us here. And sending lots more good luck project dust for continued reno success.:appl:

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thanks @missy ! Floors being redone this weekend, and we're told cabinets early next week (possibly Monday?!) so I will take that good luck dust =)2

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I'm back! Cabinets are in (still need trimming out, though!) and here's a quick photo of them finishing the install and getting ready to make the template for the counter:

counters.jpg

Compare to the before from about the same angle, you can see how much extra cabinet space we're getting :dance: and no more weird fridge plopped in the middle of nowhere!

IMG_5485.jpg

One detail I'm trying to figure out is how to deal with my mis-matched doors. Any advice?

Currently there is a steel door, painted white, that goes to the garage. There is also a wood door to the basement that is going to be replaced. I think I read it's best to keep the garage door steel for safety reasons? But I'm a bit unclear. Possibly we could find a fire-rated wood door? We could also re-paint the steel--white? wall color? an accent color?--and change hardware. Then, does the wood door stay wood? Do I replace with a white door? The wood trim is staying stained (not getting painted white) if that makes a difference.

Here's a shot that shows both doors:
cabinets.jpg

Last edited:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keep the garage door a steel door. Not just for fire but other safety reasons. Paint it whatever color makes sense. You can paint either as upper or lower cabinets and it would work fine.
Paint the wood door the same color as the steel door.

Because they're in close proximity, change the door knobs to match.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your cabinets are looking great!! What a difference =)2 It’s so open and functional now.

For the doors, make them both white and keep the garage door steel. But why aren’t you painting the wood trim? That would help it bend so much better.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. I’ve been avoiding posting because it’s not good news. The short recap is this: we’re most likely going to back out of the house. I can’t tell you how utterly sad this makes me, after how much heart and thought I’ve put in to it all.

The builder STILL hasn’t gotten back to us with a reasonable resolution to the situation (which is actually even worse than we first thought) and has only agreed at this point to do some “extensive landscaping” along the property border to block noise and visuals. While a natural fence is one of the things we said we wanted to resolve this, it certainly wasn’t the only one (or even the most important one). Our realtor has let them know it’s not good enough, and needs to be vastly improved for us to stay. We’re going to give them another week or so and if no progress is made....

:cry2:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, thats terrible! Sad for you considering all the crap you've gone through.

But maybe there's some silver lining to all this. Keep us informed as to whats going on.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone. I’ve been avoiding posting because it’s not good news. The short recap is this: we’re most likely going to back out of the house. I can’t tell you how utterly sad this makes me, after how much heart and thought I’ve put in to it all.

The builder STILL hasn’t gotten back to us with a reasonable resolution to the situation (which is actually even worse than we first thought) and has only agreed at this point to do some “extensive landscaping” along the property border to block noise and visuals. While a natural fence is one of the things we said we wanted to resolve this, it certainly wasn’t the only one (or even the most important one). Our realtor has let them know it’s not good enough, and needs to be vastly improved for us to stay. We’re going to give them another week or so and if no progress is made....

:cry2:

Oh no I am so sorry @ILikeShiny :cry2:. Sending you good thoughts and positive vibes for a successful resolution. The optimist in me is holding out hope it all still work out for you. And sending you (((HUGS))) and love. NO matter what happens you guys will be A OK and will come out of this whole and better and if this isn't meant to be you will find an even better more wonderful place to call your home. Big (((hugs))). I am so sorry you are going through this dear @ILikeShiny.:blackeye:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quick update: floors redone and they look fab! Will take a new photo when cabinets are in.

Sweet!

I'm back! Cabinets are in (still need trimming out, though!) and here's a quick photo of them finishing the install and getting ready to make the template for the counter:

counters.jpg

Compare to the before from about the same angle, you can see how much extra cabinet space we're getting :dance: and no more weird fridge plopped in the middle of nowhere!

IMG_5485.jpg

One detail I'm trying to figure out is how to deal with my mis-matched doors. Any advice?

Currently there is a steel door, painted white, that goes to the garage. There is also a wood door to the basement that is going to be replaced. I think I read it's best to keep the garage door steel for safety reasons? But I'm a bit unclear. Possibly we could find a fire-rated wood door? We could also re-paint the steel--white? wall color? an accent color?--and change hardware. Then, does the wood door stay wood? Do I replace with a white door? The wood trim is staying stained (not getting painted white) if that makes a difference.

Here's a shot that shows both doors:
cabinets.jpg

Keep the garage door a steel door. Not just for fire but other safety reasons. Paint it whatever color makes sense. You can paint either as upper or lower cabinets and it would work fine.
Paint the wood door the same color as the steel door.

Because they're in close proximity, change the door knobs to match.

Your cabinets are looking great!! What a difference =)2 It’s so open and functional now.

For the doors, make them both white and keep the garage door steel. But why aren’t you painting the wood trim? That would help it bend so much better.

It's coming along so nicely at @elizabethess! I am with @Arcadian and @ILikeShiny. All good options.
Best of luck with your progress. It's looking good!:appl:

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh no I am so sorry @ILikeShiny :cry2:. Sending you good thoughts and positive vibes for a successful resolution. The optimist in me is holding out hope it all still work out for you. And sending you (((HUGS))) and love. NO matter what happens you guys will be A OK and will come out of this whole and better and if this isn't meant to be you will find an even better more wonderful place to call your home. Big (((hugs))). I am so sorry you are going through this dear @ILikeShiny.:blackeye:

Just seems like it is one thing after another with this builder. He is clearly outside his comfort zone. You haven't asked for anything crazy, and everything seems to be a battle. I still can't believe that you have to pay for the estimates for upgrades. That wouldn't fly in our world. Hope you get what you want.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still need to grout (and clean kitchen) but here is the backsplash! I like it. I think the only thing I would change, is to make the stove backsplash more horizontal the vertical. But, not going to change it at this point. There is one more days worth of cabinet stuff that needs to be done, and then whatever we decide to do with floor. I think I am going to scrub, sand the linoleum floor, clean and maybe patch a couple areas, and seal it. It's not the prettiest floor, but it's comfortable and may be able to refurbish it enough it doesn't bother me. kitchentile1.jpg kitchentile2.jpg kitchentile3.jpg

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I still need to grout (and clean kitchen) but here is the backsplash! I like it. I think the only thing I would change, is to make the stove backsplash more horizontal the vertical. But, not going to change it at this point. There is one more days worth of cabinet stuff that needs to be done, and then whatever we decide to do with floor. I think I am going to scrub, sand the linoleum floor, clean and maybe patch a couple areas, and seal it. It's not the prettiest floor, but it's comfortable and may be able to refurbish it enough it doesn't bother me. kitchentile1.jpg kitchentile2.jpg kitchentile3.jpg
Awww, yay! It’s coming together so nicely!!!

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s official. We’re canceling the contract. And now we need to fight for our 70k that they already have. Lawyers are being contacted tomorrow. For now, there’s wine and limoncello.......

((Sigh))

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know how utterly gut wrenching this is @ILikeShiny , but I’ve always believed that if a house it meant to be, it happens.

We’ve been desperately disappointed in the past when we’ve got to the day of exchanging contracts, and the seller changed their mind. In the UK, we don’t have recourse to recover costs associated with the purchase, just have to suck it up.

Every single time we haven’t got the house we wanted, something better came along.

You’ve invested so much time, energy and expense in this project, but I think the only way to look at it is that you've gained lots of experience in dealing with contractors, know exactly what you want, and you can carry this forward.

FWIW I think you’re doing absolutely the right thing, there’s no way a contractor should be screwing you around like this. I’m so sorry this has happened, but you deserve to get the house of your dreams without all this aggravation.

Good luck with your search, and I hope you get your deposit back quickly.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry Ilikeshiny. I think sometimes you need to follow your gut instincts, and if the people you are dealing with are not acting in good faith, it's better to end it than throw good money after bad.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s official. We’re canceling the contract. And now we need to fight for our 70k that they already have. Lawyers are being contacted tomorrow. For now, there’s wine and limoncello.......

((Sigh))
As much as it sucks considering the work you put into all of that, its probably for the best. The amount of money you'd have to spend and still have would not be able to get everything you wanted...not because it was too pricey but because "they don't offer that" ...is mind blowing. And the dollar amounts were just going up and up and the choices were so few!

Crossing my fingers they don't try to hold on to your money.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HC hola, I am trying to regain momentum and stop wallowing in my teeth/jaw crap.

So what would you like to know about my little house on the hill :) it's like 2200 sq. feet, we have 2.4 acres.. the basement adds another 600 square feet (there's a finished room down there :) 3 bedrooms 2 full bathrooms, and an additional 2 3/4 baths, basically each bedroom and the basement room has its own bath, sorta nice :). we have been slowly reducing the Mediterranean look for the house and trying to update it a bit without costing more than the house cost ;-) next spring we are going to redo our master bath (as cheap as we can!yay!!) and paint the master bedroom.. then we are done, the rest is fine.. so I suppose we will look to sell after that in a few years :) not sure..
the best feature of this change in my opinion is the grass wallpaper, it's impossible to match it's unique and it gives real character :) the house was built in 2007 and we bought it in 2015 :)

Hope that gives you some background, hope you are well !!

I’m coming to this thread very, very late. Your home is beautiful! I want to marry your sofa! Can you please tell me about it? I looks so comfortable!

Last edited:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ILikeShiny well hell, that sucks. BUT down the road you will be relieved and happy, is this a toll bros house? God they are dips. I say to you young lady!!! the best and your dream house is awaiting and you will find it or design it! if nothing ILS you are ready with all your picks! my heart to yours :( so sorry , but builders are chumps most times.

Peace and love

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow! I love it @partgypsy, it's turning out beautifully! Thanks for posting pics, I've been looking forward to seeing it :kiss2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results