shape
carat
color
clarity

Please show me your backsplash...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
artwork new.jpg dining lite with 2 pix.jpg new oven and wave.jpg foyer light up.jpg a few more pix.

So here's 2 pix of 4 that Lisa chose for us, we travel a bit and she thought it would be great to put up maps etc of some of the cities we have been to, now I will be honest I've never stayed in Madrid, now I have to because it's there.. there was another choice, NYC but I lived there.. anyway you can see the other 2 pix in another photo. The new oven and microwave, awful bright, Bosch (not high end but it is for me! ha) the foyer light, that thing is gorgeous, it's silvery gold, it's hard to get a good photo I think but I love it.. love th new dining light too, the trey ceiling there used to be painted on the sides but Lisa thought it better to paint it all white, it looks really nice.. So when the tile and drapey thing is up I will post some finished total pix.. I really love the new slipcover, the woman who made it made pillows to match the drapewhateveritis same pattern... so now this is it, but I have to get rid of one of the chairs in the family room and probably the dining table, too Texan but since we never use it, WTF for now :) :)

Really love everything. It's elegant yet comfortable. Inviting and warm yet sophisticated and cool. Beautiful!:love::love::love:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, another update!

I met with the Design Gallery yesterday to go over all of our choices, including my new ones (tile, pendant, etc.). Thankfully, it went great! We were on the same page throughout and also cleared up any lingering questions or concerns. I showed them the PowerPoint I'd made for myself to help keep me on track as well as a great reference when making new decorative decisions (it has a slide for each room that we'd made changes to, with a photo of each of the items I'd selected for those rooms). I thought they'd laugh at how "over the top" it was but they loved it and want a copy to show future customers. I should have told them I was available for hire :mrgreen2:

I did change one thing... DH had chosen a pretty basic granite edge and I've decided to upgrade it in the kitchen/catering kitchen. All the bathrooms will still have a bullnose finish but I'm having "Cove Dupont" done in the kitchen areas. It looks like this :kiss2:

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 4.47.53 PM.png

We got a rejection notice today for the design of the shower in our Master Bathroom, so now we have to look in to adding a door and possibly a semi-frame (we had hoped for a frameless open shower). Not the end of the world, but more work/hassle. Hopefully we'll have this wrapped up in the next few weeks. Still no final word on the fireplace hearth either.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, another update!

I met with the Design Gallery yesterday to go over all of our choices, including my new ones (tile, pendant, etc.). Thankfully, it went great! We were on the same page throughout and also cleared up any lingering questions or concerns. I showed them the PowerPoint I'd made for myself to help keep me on track as well as a great reference when making new decorative decisions (it has a slide for each room that we'd made changes to, with a photo of each of the items I'd selected for those rooms). I thought they'd laugh at how "over the top" it was but they loved it and want a copy to show future customers. I should have told them I was available for hire :mrgreen2:

I did change one thing... DH had chosen a pretty basic granite edge and I've decided to upgrade it in the kitchen/catering kitchen. All the bathrooms will still have a bullnose finish but I'm having "Cove Dupont" done in the kitchen areas. It looks like this :kiss2:

Screen Shot 2018-04-06 at 4.47.53 PM.png

We got a rejection notice today for the design of the shower in our Master Bathroom, so now we have to look in to adding a door and possibly a semi-frame (we had hoped for a frameless open shower). Not the end of the world, but more work/hassle. Hopefully we'll have this wrapped up in the next few weeks. Still no final word on the fireplace hearth either.

Nice job on the power point presentation and maybe they can give you a discount on your reno since you are so generously sharing that with them for their future clients...just thinking aloud here.

And aww I am sorry @ILikeShiny about you not being able to get the open shower in your master. We have a frameless glass door in our MBR at the beach and it is very pretty. Would you consider that? I am glad everything else is going smoothly for you. It is all so exciting isn't it? Especially because you are almost there and done with your major decisions.:appl:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So our kitchen is officially completed woohoo! Greg went yesterday and finished all the clean up and everything is put back where it belongs in our new kitchen and house is spic and span. Well hopefully.:P2

So as soon as we have the time we are going to head to the beach together and I am going to get my first look at the kitchen. This weekend is out as we have a concert today and plans tomorrow but maybe (fingers crossed) next weekend. But with out current weather I cannot make any plans as the next snowstorm is just around the corner haha.
1899459x1360o1ky8.gif

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about all your updates ladies!:appl:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:clap: :dance: Can’t wait to hear what you think @missy

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:clap: :dance: Can’t wait to hear what you think @missy

Haha thanks Austina. At this point I am just so glad it is over that I am over the moon happy so anything else is just gravy.:sun:

pbdb.gif

pbdb.jpg

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I love your posts.. so up and always always make me smile..
I like Austina really look forward to what you think in person of the reno.. to me, it's perfect Missy and I will happily live there ;-)

here's to having reno's and plans finished!!!

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I love your posts.. so up and always always make me smile..
I like Austina really look forward to what you think in person of the reno.. to me, it's perfect Missy and I will happily live there ;-)

here's to having reno's and plans finished!!!

Aww thank you so much Kate!

Your (and the other girls) support and enthusiasm were so encouraging the whole way through. I appreciate you all so much. And I’m also super excited to see everyone’s projects come to fruition just like our projects (finally) did. We made it through woohoo.
0EE220D0-5062-4BF2-8E76-663ED7B9E44D.gif

I just love your beautiful reno and home. 55558B06-7F67-4127-81CB-F3B12C908FC2.gif ((Hugs))).

605886CC-E4AA-4E4C-B41D-A447D9B199F2.gif

20344811-359E-4DDF-A17F-D52019BC332A.gif 20344811-359E-4DDF-A17F-D52019BC332A.gif

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And even more news!

We found a compromise for the shower. They’ll do it frameless if we move the door to be supported by the wall. They proposed a 30” door with a 24” side wall which then joins the bathtub. My OCD went o_O and I asked for a 27” door and 27” side wall. After some back and forth it looks like they can do it my way :dance:

Aaaand, the arborist is done with our lot. Apparently we have many great trees and it took him several trips there to determine which could come down (and which were “don’t you dare touch”). They’ve been marked and now they’ll go back to adjust the plans for the driveway to miss any marked trees. After that the engineer for the drain fields will come out to do his thing and then it’s off to permitting!

That means the clock starts now on the expected 12-14 month build process...... Hopefully this thread will still be around when I have actual progress photos to share :lol:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I write the guys are tiling! yay. new tile 2.jpg tile new 1.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And even more news!

We found a compromise for the shower. They’ll do it frameless if we move the door to be supported by the wall. They proposed a 30” door with a 24” side wall which then joins the bathtub. My OCD went o_O and I asked for a 27” door and 27” side wall. After some back and forth it looks like they can do it my way :dance:

Aaaand, the arborist is done with our lot. Apparently we have many great trees and it took him several trips there to determine which could come down (and which were “don’t you dare touch”). They’ve been marked and now they’ll go back to adjust the plans for the driveway to miss any marked trees. After that the engineer for the drain fields will come out to do his thing and then it’s off to permitting!

That means the clock starts now on the expected 12-14 month build process...... Hopefully this thread will still be around when I have actual progress photos to share :lol:

Woohoo that’s a sweet update.:appl:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Thank you so much Missy. Your kindness is wonderful. As always, you make me happy when I read all you write, a friend indeed.

I am hoping you are feeling well? I know alopecia is a pain, I have the arreata version (or however we spell it :) ) I also hope all comes out fine with your husband (I believe it will, doctors love to be careful).

Tomorrow they will grout and on Friday the new drapes will go up and then I'm done!! whoope!! we can watch ILS build her spectacular and gorgeous home.. I swear I hope I get to meet her sometime and go thru this dream house! (when it's done, building is quite stressful we all know that).

Missy, I'm not gonna bother with IG with pix, just here as it's just best :)

sending you happy thoughts to you Missy and her happy dust! too!

Kate

Love this. The color is great! So pretty. :love:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I write the guys are tiling! yay. new tile 2.jpg tile new 1.jpg
That tile is awesome!! I mean, how can you not smile when you see that cheery color? And I bet it really makes your teal knobs POP! I can't wait to see how it all comes together!!! :appl::appl::appl:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ILikeShiny thank you!!! you and Missy are the best!

I can't wait to watch your house develop! it is going to be so stunning and gorgeous! your kindness and everyone's has been immeasurable ILS - thank you.

Kate

That tile is awesome!! I mean, how can you not smile when you see that cheery color? And I bet it really makes your teal knobs POP! I can't wait to see how it all comes together!!! :appl::appl::appl:

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We can watch ILS build her spectacular and gorgeous home.. I swear I hope I get to meet her sometime and go thru this dream house! (when it's done, building is quite stressful we all know that).

Kate! You're welcome anytime!! I'm hoping I'll have better updates to share in the future other than "woohoo, the trees have red ribbons!" :lol: Unfortunately I think my updates will become quite sparse for the next 4-6 months, but once we get those permits things should start moving at a rapid pace... you know how badly builders want their money ;)2

I'll keep checking in though as I want to see everyone's progress (and maybe some new people will join this thread with new projects too). I didn't realize how valuable this thread would be when I asked my first question, but it's been a great resource and place to turn to for opinions as well as sharing indecisions/excitement :dance:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy Thank you so much Missy. Your kindness is wonderful. As always, you make me happy when I read all you write, a friend indeed.

I am hoping you are feeling well? I know alopecia is a pain, I have the arreata version (or however we spell it :) ) I also hope all comes out fine with your husband (I believe it will, doctors love to be careful).

Tomorrow they will grout and on Friday the new drapes will go up and then I'm done!! whoope!! we can watch ILS build her spectacular and gorgeous home.. I swear I hope I get to meet her sometime and go thru this dream house! (when it's done, building is quite stressful we all know that).

Missy, I'm not gonna bother with IG with pix, just here as it's just best :)

sending you happy thoughts to you Missy and her happy dust! too!

Kate

Kate thank you! You are so kind as well. I appreciate your good thoughts. I am so sorry you are dealing with a form of alopecia too.

I don't even know how to verbalize my feelings right now about all of this. Scared, overwhelmed are 2 that immediately come to mind. I wish it was "regular" alopecia as with that there is not any real pain but with this there is redness, inflammation, swelling and burning and itching and hair loss. It's surreal. I am doing my best taking this one day at a time and know I have the support and love of my dh no matter what. So grateful for him and the good in my life but scared about the here and now and the future. Living in the moment is hard when the moment generally sucks.

Discomfort and hair loss is challenging but I hope I will be strong and can handle what comes my way. Thank you so much for your kind comments and thoughts. (((Hugs))).

And so glad this thread is becoming a valuable resource for others and I very much look forward to seeing your pics and updates @Tekate and @ILikeShiny.:appl:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The tiling is looking great @Tekate, I love that it’s not a solid colour.

elizabethess

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Popping in to say thank you to all who have been posting in this thread! :wavey:Husband and I are closing on a new (hopefully forever) home Monday. It's fine but could use updates throughout, and our top priority is the kitchen. I have been a tad overwhelmed as this is our first non-DIY update together and I have been feeling very insecure about picking finishes :) It's been really inspiring to see everyone's design choices, and follow along! I am loving all of these flavors of kitchens :mrgreen2:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As much as I wanted to participate on this thread when it was first started, all of the terrible wounds were too fresh, ongoing (at that moment), painful and stressful to the point of many, many tears. Long story short, we bought our beautiful 1910 Victorian home at the very end of August and literally just moved in at the beginning of this month!! Phew.....granted we did a LOT but some of the problems we went through were ridiculous-we had to fire our first contractor who did a bunch of things half ass and we ended up having to redo a so much of his work (needless to say so much more time and money down the drain). Anyway, there are still things that are left but figured I'd share because I was able to create my absolute dream kitchen and I feel so grateful for finally moving into our beautiful home! Custom white shaker cabinets with an added ogee beading, super white countertops (eased edge around the perimeter but ogee on the island), 3x6 white subway tile backsplash with patinum grout, carrara arabesque inlay behind the stove, wood-look tile floors! And I added a picture our original fireplace for fun (I just had the cleaners come in and give that baby a bath after all the construction but still need to have someone come and inspect the stack before we could use!). I'll post pics of the first floor full bathroom that we we redid and some other projects another time. Just thinking about everything is still exhausting for me!

@missy I absolutely LOVE the way your kitchen turned out!! We have a bunch of similarities so I was really drawn to your pics!! :love::love::love: I saw you mention that the floors were oak - do you remember what color? We've already stained our floors but yours is so pretty so I'm just curious!

@ILikeShiny WOW!!!! Your journey sounds extremely exciting!!! Your home is going to be stunning and tremendous!!! Lots of luck to you!!! I thought of you whenever I would see your arabasque tile samples/pics because that's what I had chosen for the inlay behind our stove. We went with carrara marble but I love this pattern tile in any color I see! Also loooove the cove dupont edge you chose!! I wish you the best of luck to get started soon and can't wait to see progress shots! Your pendant light posts also hit close to home....I haven't decided on those yet....I have a few coming in now to see over my island before I decide. Ugh SOOOOO many decisions!!!

@DAF Not sure if you've made your choice already but wanted to flag this for you since I used super white - I've loved it ever since I saw it at European Granite last summer and it was a MUST HAVE!!!

@Tekate I've been loving your progress shots and all of your designers' choices!!! :love: Very warm and homey. It's all coming together so nicely!!

IMG_8032.JPG
IMG_8030.JPG
IMG_7998.JPG
IMG_7999.JPG
IMG_8029.JPG

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As much as I wanted to participate on this thread when it was first started, all of the terrible wounds were too fresh, ongoing (at that moment), painful and stressful to the point of many, many tears. Long story short, we bought our beautiful 1910 Victorian home at the very end of August and literally just moved in at the beginning of this month!! Phew.....granted we did a LOT but some of the problems we went through were ridiculous-we had to fire our first contractor who did a bunch of things half ass and we ended up having to redo a so much of his work (needless to say so much more time and money down the drain). Anyway, there are still things that are left but figured I'd share because I was able to create my absolute dream kitchen and I feel so grateful for finally moving into our beautiful home! Custom white shaker cabinets with an added ogee beading, super white countertops (eased edge around the perimeter but ogee on the island), 3x6 white subway tile backsplash with patinum grout, carrara arabesque inlay behind the stove, wood-look tile floors! And I added a picture our original fireplace for fun (I just had the cleaners come in and give that baby a bath after all the construction but still need to have someone come and inspect the stack before we could use!). I'll post pics of the first floor full bathroom that we we redid and some other projects another time. Just thinking about everything is still exhausting for me!

Wow just beautiful! Just my taste. I lLove everything about this. Indeed a dream kitchen. :love::love::love:
So sorry it was a stressful process and I am glad it is (mainly) over for you now. You have a beautiful home!

@missy I absolutely LOVE the way your kitchen turned out!! We have a bunch of similarities so I was really drawn to your pics!! :love::love::love: I saw you mention that the floors were oak - do you remember what color? We've already stained our floors but yours is so pretty so I'm just curious!

Hi ac117, thank you! The stain on our oak floors is a dark walnut.

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Popping in to say thank you to all who have been posting in this thread! :wavey:Husband and I are closing on a new (hopefully forever) home Monday. It's fine but could use updates throughout, and our top priority is the kitchen. I have been a tad overwhelmed as this is our first non-DIY update together and I have been feeling very insecure about picking finishes :) It's been really inspiring to see everyone's design choices, and follow along! I am loving all of these flavors of kitchens :mrgreen2:

So great to see a new face on the thread! Please do share what you're drawn to and what you're considering. It's always so fun to see how others decorate :)

@ILikeShiny WOW!!!! Your journey sounds extremely exciting!!! Your home is going to be stunning and tremendous!!! Lots of luck to you!!! I thought of you whenever I would see your arabasque tile samples/pics because that's what I had chosen for the inlay behind our stove. We went with carrara marble but I love this pattern tile in any color I see! Also loooove the cove dupont edge you chose!! I wish you the best of luck to get started soon and can't wait to see progress shots! Your pendant light posts also hit close to home....I haven't decided on those yet....I have a few coming in now to see over my island before I decide. Ugh SOOOOO many decisions!!!

@DAF Not sure if you've made your choice already but wanted to flag this for you since I used super white - I've loved it ever since I saw it at European Granite last summer and it was a MUST HAVE!!!

@Tekate I've been loving your progress shots and all of your designers' choices!!! :love: Very warm and homey. It's all coming together so nicely!!

IMG_8032.JPG
IMG_8030.JPG
IMG_7998.JPG
IMG_7999.JPG
IMG_8029.JPG

Another new face :clap::mrgreen2:

AC, it turned out GORGEOUS!!! I'm sorry it was such a headache to get to this point but hopefully those bad memories will be behind you soon. And your arabesque tile is what my second choice was! I'm just too chicken to choose the natural stone since they come in so many shades and I couldn't pick the exact box/shade that would be used.

Have any more photos of your new home to share?? I love victorian homes! :love:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow just beautiful! Just my taste. I lLove everything about this. Indeed a dream kitchen. :love::love::love:
So sorry it was a stressful process and I am glad it is (mainly) over for you now. You have a beautiful home!

Hi ac117, thank you! The stain on our oak floors is a dark walnut.

Thanks so much Missy!!!! I love it so much but I am glad it's mostly over. Huge lessons learned, though, so at least I'll be better prepared for next time!!

Ah, it's no wonder I love your stain so much! I chose the same color :P2 (only after soooooooooo much deliberation and samples that I think everyone I spoke to was sick of me already :lol:). It looks slightly different on our floors though because we have maple on our first floor and stairs and pine floors on our second floor, that are all original to the house. There's also wide plank pine on the third floor but we kept those original color and put a nice fresh coat of poly.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another new face :clap::mrgreen2:

AC, it turned out GORGEOUS!!! I'm sorry it was such a headache to get to this point but hopefully those bad memories will be behind you soon. And your arabesque tile is what my second choice was! I'm just too chicken to choose the natural stone since they come in so many shades and I couldn't pick the exact box/shade that would be used.

Have any more photos of your new home to share?? I love victorian homes! :love:

Thank you!!! It was such a roller coaster ride but I do LOVE everything and smile every time I walk into my house so it's hard to beat that!! Totally understand your conundrum with the natural stone! I have a friend going through some renovations now and we laugh about all the color variations in tile and paint that literally drives us nuts!!

I don't have too many more pics because I haven't finished buying furniture :oops::oops::oops: but here are a couple!
The dining room...we added all of the wainscoting but the doorway molding and french doors are all original!
IMG_7598.JPG
Not the greatest pic but a view of the foyer....
IMG_7574.JPG
And a really cute pic of my baby Toro enjoying our porch and the new suburban life after living in Brooklyn!
IMG_8073.JPG

BlingDreams

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you!!! It was such a roller coaster ride but I do LOVE everything and smile every time I walk into my house so it's hard to beat that!! Totally understand your conundrum with the natural stone! I have a friend going through some renovations now and we laugh about all the color variations in tile and paint that literally drives us nuts!!

I don't have too many more pics because I haven't finished buying furniture :oops::oops::oops: but here are a couple!
The dining room...we added all of the wainscoting but the doorway molding and french doors are all original!
IMG_7598.JPG
Not the greatest pic but a view of the foyer....
IMG_7574.JPG
And a really cute pic of my baby Toro enjoying our porch and the new suburban life after living in Brooklyn!
IMG_8073.JPG
Gah! I love everything about this!!! And the dining room paint you used is the color looks like what I'm planning on for my master bathroom! Is it eggplantish-purple? Or is it a deep blue? I know how shadows can play tricks on things...

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gah! I love everything about this!!! And the dining room paint you used is the color looks like what I'm planning on for my master bathroom! Is it eggplantish-purple? Or is it a deep blue? I know how shadows can play tricks on things...

Thank you!! We love the pop of color since I love and painted grey for almost everything else and since the kitchen is very white. It's a bright but deep blue - Admiral Blue by Benjamin Moore to be specific. It took a few samples while we were deciding to get it right (I didn't want navy since the floors are darker, but I certainly didn't want a screaming cobalt and no purple) but I'm extremely pleased with the result!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s just gorgeous @ac117 what great choices, I hope you can start to enjoy living in your beautiful home.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@ac117 Wow, your home and reno is stunning. Beautiful. So inviting, jeez it's perfect.

I am sooooo sorry for the original problems with you contractor, if you haven't read my story with my pool reno let me know and I'll find it for you so you can read that I am hellishly sympathetic to you, being scammed, used, and having a tear out and starting again.. my heart to yours. Seriously, I can relate.

Your choices are warming to me, I love the water faucet thingy over the oven, wish I had one of them but there is no water line near my stove, I think it's such a helpful item to have, pasta! tea! rice.. etc.

Know we all understand sh--head contractors.. it's danged scary to do even a slight reno.

I'm so happy for you and your fireplace!!!!!! jeez... just awesome.

Kate

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much Austina! the tiles are handpainted (which I guess I knew but forgot) so first time they came they were wrong or something (me being in FL I was oblivious) then the wrong size, the kitchen tile are hand painted glass tile, they came in 2x in the wrong size... ya gotta wonder.. anyway that was the hold up on tiling.. the boys are here to grout today, tomorrow new drapes thing goes up then I am fini! on to a bathroom reno when my husband feels ready to not coronary :)

thank you so much...

Kate

The tiling is looking great @Tekate, I love that it’s not a solid colour.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results