shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your thoughts on this lab created 1.4c E/VS2/ideal diamond

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
@mwilliamanderson @DejaWiz Just got the video today. What do you guys think?

It looks beautiful! Bright, crisp and clean. :kiss2:

If I'm nitpicking I wish that all the arrows/arrowheads would display at once. That they don't could be a factor of the stone being tilted or a lack optical symmetry/precision. You won't know until you see it and you might not even care about it however.

ImSoWavy

Rough_Rock
It looks beautiful! Bright, crisp and clean. :kiss2:

If I'm nitpicking I wish that all the arrows/arrowheads would display at once. That they don't could be a factor of the stone being tilted or a lack optical symmetry/precision. You won't know until you see it and you might not even care about it however.

That's what I was concerned about too actually but I noticed the stone MAY be tilted. Does it need to be completely level (on a 90 degree angle) so you can see all the arrows at once?

Here's a pic showing it may be tilted going from one side of the girdle to the other. But then again, I may just be grasping at straws because I don't want it to be a bad stone. Even with IGI rating it with excellent symmetry and the stone itself having good proportions, could it still be poorly cut?

Capture.JPG Capture2.JPG

Last edited:

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I think it's beautiful and not poorly cut! To answer your question a diamond can score excellent on symmetry and not produce a perfect H and A pattern due to slight variations in facet angle and I'm sure other reasons which are beyond my knowledge.

In general it seems to me that diamonds that do present a nice H and A pattern are marketed that way. I notice IGI and GCAL both carry that designation on their certificates now. So, I'm just trying to temper expectations. When I bought my first certified diamond I didn't know how important precision cutting and optical symmetry (symmetry that can be seen in a pattern) was to me and I was very disappointed that my diamond didn't have it. I'm not at all suggesting a diamond needs to be H and A to be beautiful. I just really like it!

Great catch on the diamond tilt btw.

ImSoWavy

Rough_Rock
No, it's a very well cut diamond.

I think it's beautiful and not poorly cut! To answer your question a diamond can score excellent on symmetry and not produce a perfect H and A pattern due to slight variations in facet angle and I'm sure other reasons which are beyond my knowledge.

In general it seems to me that diamonds that do present a nice H and A pattern are marketed that way. I notice IGI and GCAL both carry that designation on their certificates now. So, I'm just trying to temper expectations. When I bought my first certified diamond I didn't know how important precision cutting and optical symmetry (symmetry that can be seen in a pattern) was to me and I was very disappointed that my diamond didn't have it. I'm not at all suggesting a diamond needs to be H and A to be beautiful. I just really like it!

Great catch on the diamond tilt btw.

Ah understood. When you said that you wished all the arrows would display at once, I didn't know you were referring to the H&A pattern. I was okay with this one not having a H&A (although it would have been icing on the cake :razz:)

My concern was that the arrows weren't all showing black at the same time, so I thought there may have been an issue with the diamond cut.

This would be due to the lighting/how the photo was taken, correct? Or do they only reflect black at the same time if it has a H&A?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Ah understood. When you said that you wished all the arrows would display at once, I didn't know you were referring to the H&A pattern. I was okay with this one not having a H&A (although it would have been icing on the cake :razz:)

My concern was that the arrows weren't all showing black at the same time, so I thought there may have been an issue with the diamond cut.

This would be due to the lighting/how the photo was taken, correct? Or do they only reflect black at the same time if it has a H&A?

Please excuse my lack of knowledge.

I have linked an article below you might want to read. This is a quote from it that explains the difference between symmetry and H an A patterning better than I can.

“AGS Ideal does not mean Hearts and Arrows

Just because a diamond is cut to have AGS ideal performance does not mean that it will exhibit a crisp hearts and arrows pattern. Here is an example of a diamond which has AGS Ideal Light Performance, but would be completely unacceptable by any meaningful hearts and arrows standard:
AGS ideal does not mean H&A

Lab Graded Symmetry is not H&A Optical Precision

The labs grade symmetry according to meet point symmetry on the surface of the diamond only. The formation of hearts and arrows involves facet polishing on the X,Y, and Z-axis. This is not assessed as any part of laboratory symmetry grading.”

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Minding that it was photographed at a slight angle making the 9 to 12 o'clock position appear lighter, this seems to be a very-near H&A diamond, still with excellent symmetry...in my opinion.

Screenshot_20210901-203954.png

Screenshot_20210901-204205.png

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Minding that it was photographed at a slight angle making the 9 to 12 o'clock position appear lighter, this seems to be a very-near H&A diamond, still with excellent symmetry...in my opinion.

Good to hear! My experience of buying a stone sold as an H and A and then not being able to see more than half of the arrows at a time has made me a bit of a nervous diamond shopper. Especially when advanced images are not available.

ImSoWavy

Rough_Rock
I have linked an article below you might want to read. This is a quote from it that explains the difference between symmetry and H an A patterning better than I can.

“AGS Ideal does not mean Hearts and Arrows

Just because a diamond is cut to have AGS ideal performance does not mean that it will exhibit a crisp hearts and arrows pattern. Here is an example of a diamond which has AGS Ideal Light Performance, but would be completely unacceptable by any meaningful hearts and arrows standard:
AGS ideal does not mean H&A

Lab Graded Symmetry is not H&A Optical Precision

The labs grade symmetry according to meet point symmetry on the surface of the diamond only. The formation of hearts and arrows involves facet polishing on the X,Y, and Z-axis. This is not assessed as any part of laboratory symmetry grading.”

Yup my fault. This was from my lack of knowledge - I thought that all diamonds would show black arrows in photos regardless of H&A. But now I see it would only appear (in all black) if it does form a H&A

ImSoWavy

Rough_Rock

That makes me hopeful! Here's hoping to a nice surprise when I receive it

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results