shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your thoughts on this lab created 1.4c E/VS2/ideal diamond

ImSoWavy

Rough_Rock
Hi PriceScope experts! Was hoping for some feedback on a diamond I am looking to purchase.

A few concerns I have with is one, are the minor inclusions (is this really a VS2?) and the IGI Cert indicating there may have been post growth treatment (if a concern at all?). Otherwise the price seems to good to be true - am I missing something?

Thank you in advance for helping a noob out!

Price: $1980
Carat: 1.4
Cut: Ideal
Color: E
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 62.3%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.7%
Pavilion Angle: 40.8%
HCA Score: 1.4

Video
IGI Cert

Thank you!

Last edited:

ImSoWavy

Rough_Rock
Or would it be better to pay ~300 more for the below diamond with almost no inclusions, H&A and a .6 HCA score?

Price: $2500
Carat: 1.41
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 60.9%
Table: 57%
Crown Angle: 35.1%
Pavilion Angle: 40.4%
HCA Score: 0.6

Video
IGI Cert

Thank you again!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I worry that the first might not be eye clean. No way to know for sure without seeing it but the placement of that long inclusion would bother me. I prefer the look of the 2nd. The arrows don't come into focus well at the same time which is something that would keep me looking. I'm not sure if that's due to a shortcoming in precision or if it's the camera/stone angle.

Here's a well cut LG diamond with similar specs to the two you're looking at. Notice how crisp the facets appear? It's from Wolf/CBI.

Last edited:

ImSoWavy

Rough_Rock
I worry that the first might not be eye clean. No way to know for sure without seeing it but the placement of that long inclusion would bother me. I prefer the look of the 2nd. The arrows don't come into focus well at the same time which is something that would keep me looking. I'm not sure if that's due to a shortcoming in precision or if it's the camera/stone angle.

Here's a well cut LG diamond with similar specs to the two you're looking at. Notice how crisp the facets appear? It's from Wolf/CBI.

That one is beautiful. I see what you mean for the 2nd one now, and share the same concerns with you for the first one.

Thank you for your reply!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
That one is beautiful. I see what you mean for the 2nd one now, and share the same concerns with you for the first one.

Thank you for your reply!

You're welcome...happy to help.

ImSoWavy

Rough_Rock
Anyone thoughts on this one?

Price: $3176
Carat: 1.52
Depth: 61.4%
Crown Angle: 34.2
Pavilion Angle: 40.7%
HCA Score: 0.9

IGI Cert

Thank you again!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Anyone thoughts on this one?

Price: $3176
Carat: 1.52
Depth: 61.4%
Crown Angle: 34.2
Pavilion Angle: 40.7%
HCA Score: 0.9

IGI Cert

Thank you again!

I like the proportions and it is crisper looking than the first two. I don't see any indication of stria (do you @DejaWiz?). You might want to read this thread since all of the diamonds you've been looking at are CVD vs HPHT. https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/internal-graining-comparison.255344/

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Wow! HPHT, GCAL 8X, and vetted by WolfCBI - this is an LGD example of "doesn't get any better than this!"

:) Would you mind letting me know your thoughts about this one please? I am slightly iffy about the inclusions but the cut looks nicer.

Not liking the relationship of the crown and pavilion angles.

Take a look at these HPHT method LGDs from Ritani:

Crown angle of 36° is about the max recommended for a 40.6° Pavilion angle.

Crown and pavilion angles are right at the cusp for recommended proportions, so this one would need to be checked with an ASET/Ideal Scope since a PA of 40.9° is usually better paired with a 33.5-34.5° CA, but this is nothing that would overly concern me...unfortunately, there are no pictures/video of this diamond, so it would be a bit of a risk.

CA of 35.6° may also be a bit steep for a 40.8° PA, but may work if ASET/Ideal Scope confirms it. Table inclusion may be a bit iffy.

Last edited:

ImSoWavy

Rough_Rock
Wow! HPHT, GCAL 8X, and vetted by WolfCBI - this is an LGD example of "doesn't get any better than this!"

Not liking the relationship of the crown and pavilion angles.

Take a look at these HPHT method LGDs from Ritani:

Crown angle of 36° is about the max recommended for a 40.6° Pavilion angle.

Crown and pavilion angles are right at the cusp for recommended proportions, but this one would need to be check with an ASET/Ideal Scope since a PA of 40.9° is usually better paired with a 33.5-34.5° CA, but this is nothing that would overly concern me...unfortunately, there are no pictures/video of this diamond.

CA of 35.6° may also be a bit steep for a 40.8° PA, but may work if ASET/Ideal Scope confirms it. Table inclusion may be a bit iffy.

Wow thanks for the great recs! Checking them out now - what are your thoughts about this HPHT one that I was just about to post?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I'll add some more diamonds from Ritani after I do some more searching...stand by.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Wow thanks for the great recs! Checking them out now - what are your thoughts about this HPHT one that I was just about to post?

This 1.5 is not well proportioned. It's considered a steep/deep diamond and I would avoid it.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I only found a couple more HPHT with what I would consider acceptable measurements, proportions, and angles.
The following search criteria was used:
Color D-F
Clarity VS2 or better
Symmetry EX/ID
Polish EX/ID
Table 57% or smaller
Price $3300 or less

This one is a bit steep in the crown area and would definitely need advanced images to rule out any potential light leakage issues.

What is your top budget for just the loose diamond, @ImSoWavy ? I can scour through some of the various diamond search engines and see what is available.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
The 1.31 F looks nice though and is a HPHT diamond. I had a well cut H and A 35/41 and was not happy with it in low light situations. So I tend to discourage that combination of CA/PA like in the 1.32D.

ImSoWavy

Rough_Rock
I only found a couple more HPHT with what I would consider acceptable measurements, proportions, and angles.
The following search criteria was used:
Color D-F
Clarity VS2 or better
Symmetry EX/ID
Polish EX/ID
Table 57% or smaller
Price $3300 or less

What is your top budget for just the loose diamond, @ImSoWavy ? I can scour through some of the various diamond search engines and see what is available.

Great - checking these out now. Top budget would be 3k, under 2.5k ideal :)
Again, thank you for taking the time to look into some diamonds for me. Everytime I think I find a "good" one, it seems like something else is off.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Great - checking these out now. Top budget would be 3k, under 2.5k ideal :)
Again, thank you for taking the time to look into some diamonds for me. Everytime I think I find a "good" one, it seems like something else is off.

I'll go and check out some various search sites.

Don't beat yourself up - the hunt is well worth the effort to find "the one". :)

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
From Rare Carat:

These two HPHT are graded colorless, but may have undisclosed Blue Nuance (very faint blue that is noticable at the edges of the crown/girdle when looking at them from the side profile):

ImSoWavy

Rough_Rock
From Rare Carat:

These two HPHT are graded colorless, but may have undisclosed Blue Nuance (very faint blue that is noticable at the edges of the crown/girdle when looking at them from the side profile):

Thank you! Going to go through them now. Do you like any of these, proportions wise?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Friendly Diamonds (PriceScope vetted vendor):

James Allen (another PS vetted vendor):

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
DejaWiz is great at helping pick out stones but you might want to read this article on proportions so you can have a better sense of what you're looking for in terms of proportions. Here's my opinion of the stones above in post 19:

No
Yes
No
Maybe

ImSoWavy

Rough_Rock
Friendly Diamonds (PriceScope vetted vendor):

James Allen (another PS vetted vendor):

I like the SKU 10544583 one you sent. Is that a true H&A?

What are your thoughts on this one -

ImSoWavy

Rough_Rock
DejaWiz is great at helping pick out stones but you might want to read this article on proportions so you can have a better sense of what you're looking for in terms of proportions. Here's my opinion of the stones above in post 19:

No
Yes
No
Maybe

Thank you, this is really helpful.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I like the SKU 10544583 one you sent. Is that a true H&A?

What are your thoughts on this one -

It looks good based on the rotational view - sharp and crisp appearance.

One more possibility that wasn't listed on the PriceScope search engine, for some reason.

The proportions and angles are very similar to the LGD that I bought for my wife a few months ago, and should lean slightly towards brilliance. Clean table, and the only SI1-sized inclusion is in the crown area right over an arrowhead, so easily concealed by a ring prong. Very nice 7.5mm spread! :)

Here's a nifty trick I picked up from @sledge : use the line tool and go from arrow tip to arrow tip and gauge where the lines intersect in the center/culet area. This one appears to have near-perfect symmetry.

SymmetryLines160.png

Lands squarely in the ranges for both AGS000 and GIA3X

CutEstimator160.png

Last edited by a moderator:

ImSoWavy

Rough_Rock
@DejaWiz @mwilliamanderson

Promise to come to you both after doing my full DD now lol :) I may have stumbled upon a good one, based on the proportions recommended by mwilliamanderson's site, etc.

Can you kindly let me know your thoughts on this one? No videos/pics yet - I've just requested one.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
@DejaWiz @mwilliamanderson

Promise to come to you both after doing my full DD now lol :) I may have stumbled upon a good one, based on the proportions recommended by mwilliamanderson's site, etc.

Can you kindly let me know your thoughts on this one? No videos/pics yet - I've just requested one.

Proportions are very nice! Will lean towards brilliance.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Good find. It looks great on paper! Hopefully pictures and video will confirm.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results