shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your photos of nature, wildlife, etc.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kiss me!
I might be a Prince. :Up_to_something:

0I5A2987.JPG
Lovely Leopard Frog! May I ask where this photo was taken in? Looks very much like a Northern Leopard Frog, but I've only seen a spotty belly up in the Ontario/Northern Quebec area. Am I close?

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I own something that's 4.54 billion + years old ... The earth under our house.

Even then earth didn't pop into existence from nothing.
It consists of stuff that existed before earth formed into a planet.

Seriously though I have a couple old things I'm gonna photograph when I get time.

@kenny , Darling! I was hoping you would post in this thread! :appl:

Unfortunately, I think your post refers to another thread.

No matter! Take photos of the earth and post those here! :mrgreen2:

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander , wow! Thanks for interesting!

So how does the already-colorful male Wood Duck appear to other ducks?
Like they are technicolor. But, their whole visual world is more intense. Its hard to replicate, but they see more subtle colors in areas that look more solid to us. So, the males crown look pretty dark to us, but it really has a violet patch. I think the duller females tend to show the hidden UV more than the males. Something like this would be more their world.

I truly envy your photos. I just lack the artistic flare in my photos. They all look like photos in a field guide. I guess we all have our thing...

upload_2017-11-4_22-14-44.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-4_22-13-43.png
    upload_2017-11-4_22-13-43.png
    761.6 KB · Views: 23
  • upload_2017-11-4_22-14-21.png
    upload_2017-11-4_22-14-21.png
    761.6 KB · Views: 23

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely Leopard Frog! May I ask where this photo was taken in? Looks very much like a Northern Leopard Frog, but I've only seen a spotty belly up in the Ontario/Northern Quebec area. Am I close?

A Leopard Frog? Is that what that is? :read:

Thanks for the info. =)2

I wanted to be a Biologist. But didn't become one. So, yeah, love wildlife but don't know much about it. :lol-2:

Yes! You're absolutely right about location! I'm in Ottawa, Ontario.

I cropped in close to that lad - yes, bad habit, love to see the details.
I'll go dig up a shot of this guy that shows all of him.

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Leopard Frog? Is that what that is? :read:

Thanks for the info. =)2

I wanted to be a Biologist. But didn't become one. So, yeah, love wildlife but don't know much about it. :lol-2:

Yes! You're absolutely right about location! I'm in Ottawa, Ontario.

I cropped in close to that lad - yes, bad habit, love to see the details.
I'll go dig up a shot of this guy that shows all of him.

I wanted to be a photographer, but I'm a better biologist. My brain is full of a lifetime of being a wildlife biologist and aquatic ecologist. For some species, I've seen them enough in enough places to have a sense of variation within its range. Spots on the lips in Northern Leopard Frogs are very common. But, my personal observation has been that the amount and locations of spots on the belly seem to vary by region. In some species, their colors or voice vary within the species...like we have regional dialects. Its pretty cool when you start to see this stuff...

One of my favorite moments was sitting on a mountain in the Yukon watch a grizzly stalking a sheep on the side of the next mountain, and a Wood Frog hopped right over my foot. Reminds you to look at the small stuff...like your photos.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@rockysalamander ,

Its funny where life takes us. The careers we think about, and the ones we end up having.
And, of course, our hobbies take us in directions we may not have imagined.
I'm sure you see your photos differently than anyone else would. I think we tend to be quite demanding of ourselves and overly-critical. While out with my camera yesterday, someone was telling me that we get more and more critical of our photos. I agree. We have to be cautious and not let our desire to learn and improve overshadow or deplete the joy we get from photography.

I'd love to see your photos! The subject matter of everyone's photos is what I get such enjoyment from; its not a photo contest. There are animals and scenes that are unlike what's around my particular location. I love seeing what others share here. Similarly, I think and hope that people may find it interesting to see some of my local wildlife. Until retirement gave me the luxury of time to get out and about, I had no idea we had local creatures such as the Wood Duck! Photography allows me to examine details of creatures and appreciate their incredible features.

Thanks for adding your observations about the spots, etc., of the Northern Leopard Frog. Wildlife is fascinating; each creature seems to be perfectly designed for its environment.

Well, I'm adding a couple of photos; one of another frog I spotted that same day. Yup, 'a frog', that's the extent of my ability to identify this guy. :lol-2: Also, another photo of the Northern Leopard Frog (thank you for giving this lad a name!). I remember exactly where I took the photo. This guy was sitting on a rocky patch leading down to the river. I lay on the rocks to get eye level with him. I can still recall the jagged rocks digging into my legs.

0I5A2228.JPG

0I5A2974.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Male Wood Duck doing battle with his dinner.
His head feathers almost got out of place during the scuffle! :eek2:

0I5A8444.JPG

0I5A8455.JPG

0I5A8457.JPG

0I5A8467.JPG

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here's a few from my phone so I do apologize for the photo quality. All of these were taken at work (I'm a forester) IMG_4283.JPG IMG_5957.JPG IMG_6136.JPG IMG_0055.JPG IMG_0141.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@RetroTreeGal , beautiful photos! Your 'office' is gorgeous. :love:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
... and her coworker ain't too hard on the eyes. :cheeky:

Screen Shot 2017-11-11 at 3.50.09 PM.png

:lol-2: I was going to say the same thing, Kenny, but didn't want to appear in the media as the latest person accused of sexual harassment!

RetroTreeGal

Shiny_Rock
Premium
...and her coworker ain't too hard on the eyes

Ha! He's actually my mentee. He's a goober. I helped him pick out a stunning diamond for his fiancé's engagement ring though!
My handsome husband is actually the guy walking away in the other photo.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Driving between jobs recently and I spotted a few of these; mullock heaps or big mine tailings from well over a century ago. I could tell their age due to the fact that some had massive native Australian gum trees growing out of their sides!!

I would bet money there is still gold in there as well :mrgreen2:
20171115_085349.jpg a

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too many photos (sorry!) of Male Wood Ducks.
I'm being too lazy right now to narrow it done.

0I5A9140.JPG
0I5A9145.JPG
0I5A9243.JPG
0I5A9249.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wood Ducks, female and male. =)2

0I5A9130.JPG
0I5A9181.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Male Wood Duck. Again. :whistle:

0I5A9172.JPG
0I5A9173.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Almost forgot to share this photo which is not another Wood Duck!
Think its a Merganser.
It was the only one of its kind on a pond of Canada Geese.

0I5A9579.JPG

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tell ya, those female wood ducks are some lucky little quackers because male wood ducks are just so beautiful!
Really enjoying your pictures Dfire!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Male Pileated Woodpecker
Probably just me, but it looks like he's wearing pinstripe pants. =)2

0I5A0421.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had an unexpected visitor to my backyard this morning! :-o
A Merlin! Described online as a 'small, fierce falcon'.

0I5A1681.JPG

0I5A1682.JPG

0I5A1683.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Male Cardinal (taken on one of the rare very bright, sunny days!) and Female Cardinal. =)2

0I5A0985.JPG

0I5A0012.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results