shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your photos of nature, wildlife, etc.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

DecemberFire--your pictures are just WOW!!!!!!!!!!!:appl:

cheers--Sharon

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Somebody needs a new travel agent! :shock:

This sweet little bird is a female Black-throated Gray Warbler (female, so without the black throat).
She's a California girl who winters in Mexico.
Somehow, she ended up in Ottawa, Canada. For Winter?!?! :nono:
That's not white beach sand between her toes!

Kids, don't skip Geography class!

0I5A0589.JPG

0I5A0724.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The always adorable Black-Capped Chickadee! =)2

0I5A1127.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The male Common Goldeneye.
No colour adjustments made to the photo. He has golden eyes and wears a lot of white blush. :think:

0I5A1105.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Male and Female Common Goldeneye
I've heard the saying 'you must walk before you run'.
Apparently, you must also run before you fly. =)2

0I5A1113.JPG

0I5A1114.JPG

0I5A1116.JPG

0I5A1117.JPG

0I5A1118.JPG

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are beautiful!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@jordyonbass , what a nuisance having someone watching over your shoulder while you work! :lol-2:

I hope he was friendly.

Great seeing you! :wavey:

P

PierreBear

@december-fire - I can't believe I haven't clicked through this thread before. Your pictures are amazing! Just curious, how close are you standing to take photos of the warbler? I have no concept of photography and the professional cameras you must be using but I'm so amazed at the detail and crispness of your photos.

I'm embarrassed to share that I don't own a camera and just use my phone but I do have this to share. Hope it counts as wildlife. My cat dressed up in a costume.

Capture.PNG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PierreBear , oh my God! Your cat looks too adorable! Although, not terribly amused. :lol-2:

I'm so glad you shared your hilarious photo here! Thanks!
You might want to include it in the furbabies thread, too, so that someone checking out that photo will see it.
Darn! I was going to include the link for you but can't find the thread. I'm sure someone else has better thread-searching skills than I have and will point you to it.

I treated myself to a new lens (and camera) a few months ago, and it has better reach than my previous one (although, that one was good, too). I think I was probably within 15 feet of the warbler, maybe closer. Often wildlife/birds are at a distance. Other times they come marching right up to me, hoping I have food!

Phones these days have great cameras on them! Lots of people don't have a camera; they use their phone! For a lot of purposes, it makes a great deal of sense. One device, multiple uses, and fits in a pocket or purse.

No one should apologize for the quality of a photo or the fact that it was taken on a phone! This thread offers us a chance to enjoy scenes without leaving our home; views and wildlife that are in our backyard, as well as ones that can't be found anywhere close to us, are available for all to browse. I'm so thankful that people are willing to share here.

:wavey:

P

PierreBear

@PierreBear , oh my God! Your cat looks too adorable! Although, not terribly amused. :lol-2:

I'm so glad you shared your hilarious photo here! Thanks!
You might want to include it in the furbabies thread, too, so that someone checking out that photo will see it.
Darn! I was going to include the link for you but can't find the thread. I'm sure someone else has better thread-searching skills than I have and will point you to it.

I treated myself to a new lens (and camera) a few months ago, and it has better reach than my previous one (although, that one was good, too). I think I was probably within 15 feet of the warbler, maybe closer. Often wildlife/birds are at a distance. Other times they come marching right up to me, hoping I have food!

Phones these days have great cameras on them! Lots of people don't have a camera; they use their phone! For a lot of purposes, it makes a great deal of sense. One device, multiple uses, and fits in a pocket or purse.

No one should apologize for the quality of a photo or the fact that it was taken on a phone! This thread offers us a chance to enjoy scenes without leaving our home; views and wildlife that are in our backyard, as well as ones that can't be found anywhere close to us, are available for all to browse. I'm so thankful that people are willing to share here.

You are too kind but I do have to comment that you are rather talented! You have quite the eye and the skill to take those action shots. I went back to a few pages and oh goodness... you caught a humming bird in action. Those quickly beating wings were captured in time. Priceless! Keep up the good work!!!!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PierreBear, you're too sweet. Now how on earth am I going to squeeze my swollen head and inflated ego into the car so I can run some errands? :think:

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too many photos (sorry!) of Male Wood Ducks.
I'm being too lazy right now to narrow it done.

0I5A9140.JPG
0I5A9145.JPG
0I5A9243.JPG
0I5A9249.JPG

Gorgeous!
My grandfather still shows his picture of a wood duck that he entered in a photography competition years ago. He was told it would have won if there really was such a thing. Yeah.... At least he can laugh at it now!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@december-fire - I can't believe I haven't clicked through this thread before. Your pictures are amazing! Just curious, how close are you standing to take photos of the warbler? I have no concept of photography and the professional cameras you must be using but I'm so amazed at the detail and crispness of your photos.

I'm embarrassed to share that I don't own a camera and just use my phone but I do have this to share. Hope it counts as wildlife. My cat dressed up in a costume.

Capture.PNG

Your cat looked pissed!:lol-2: (cute but mad....)

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My grandfather still shows his picture of a wood duck that he entered in a photography competition years ago. He was told it would have won if there really was such a thing. Yeah.... At least he can laugh at it now!

Oh, no! I'm glad your grandfather can laugh about it now, but that must have been so frustrating.

I agree that Wood Ducks, and some other creatures, don't seem as if they can truly exist; their colours, patterning, shape, whatever, is just so amazing. I stare at creatures in person, or on documentaries, and am speechless that they are real. Saw part of a TV show last night about deep ocean creatures which showed a Glass Octopus. Too cool!

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, no! I'm glad your grandfather can laugh about it now, but that must have been so frustrating.

I agree that Wood Ducks, and some other creatures, don't seem as if they can truly exist; their colours, patterning, shape, whatever, is just so amazing. I stare at creatures in person, or on documentaries, and am speechless that they are real. Saw part of a TV show last night about deep ocean creatures which showed a Glass Octopus. Too cool!

Nature is amazing! The colors and patterns can be brilliant beyond anything created by man.

I don't know what they thought he did to get a "fake" picture. This was before computers were in every home. There was no Photoshop. No digital cameras. Just old fashioned film.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nature is amazing! The colors and patterns can be brilliant beyond anything created by man.

I don't know what they thought he did to get a "fake" picture. This was before computers were in every home. There was no Photoshop. No digital cameras. Just old fashioned film.

I wondered about that because you said this happened years ago. What did they think he did to the photo? Couldn't they look up Wood Duck in a book? Frustrating. Sounds like the competition was rigged.

I crop almost all of my photos, but that's normally it.
Sometimes, I'll specifically mention that the colours haven't been altered because the subject's natural colours seem unreal. The Wood Duck and the eyes of the Goldeneye, are just two examples in which I figure someone might be surprised that this is the real deal.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Jimmianne , stunning! So beautiful! :love:

Someone I've met while out and about with my camera is into fungi, molds, etc.
She showed me photos on her phone that, like your photos, I'd be framing and hanging up on my walls! The textures, colours, etc., are gorgeous! Actually, I'd be printing them in black and white - the textures speak for themselves!

Ran into her last week and she took me over to a rock to show me a tiny fungus. We crouched down and she pulled out a loupe to place over the lens of her phone! I thought "PS!" :lol-2:
It was a 10X loupe and she planned on asking for a stronger one from Santa.
I thought it was so funny to have two of my Worlds collide. :mrgreen2:

Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos with us!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I've been spotted! :eek-2:

0I5A1312.JPG

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
December fire, those poor ducks!

I love the idea of using a loupe in the woods.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow just amazing pics everyone!

December-fire :love:
Jimmianne :love:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gray Catbird

Apparently, they sound like a cat meowing. This was the first (and, so far, only) time I've seen one, and it didn't make a sound. I didn't know what kind of bird it was, when I was taking the photo. That happens to me a lot. :mrgreen2:

0I5A1588.JPG

0I5A1598.JPG

0I5A1606.JPG

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
December fire, how do you get your bird closeups?
the birds seem aware of you...??

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
December fire, how do you get your bird closeups?
the birds seem aware of you...??

Hi Jimmianne!

Well, I suspect they're always aware of me. Sometimes, I know for a fact they're aware because they stare right at me or quickly fly off! :mrgreen2:

I try not to make them feel threatened. I'm quiet, move slowly, and frequently stop to stay in one place, and I don't wear bright, flashy colours. Some wildlife photographers (professionals and hobbyists) believe that the more camo you wear, the better.

However, two big factors for getting close - and getting close-ups - are:
- a telephoto lens, and
- going to nature trails/conservation areas in which the animals and birds tend to be used to people. A frequent hang-out for me is a nearby conservation area that has woods, a lake, and is by a river (great spot for various wildlife and right in the city); providing shelter, food and water, so popular with birds and animals. A lot of people, including myself, will take food for the birds/animals to help them out a bit. At that spot, the ducks and Canada Geese will come towards you, and some of the birds will land on you, looking for food. The chickadees, nuthatches and woodpeckers don't hesitate to land on people, at that location. I've been told that there's a Cardinal that will land on people's hands, although I haven't seen that yet. The Cardinals I've seen there tend to be cautious around people, staying in the trees or landing at a distance to eat food off the ground.

Being retired, I'm fortunate that I can go out during the week. The birds tend to take off when there are more people or children rushing around. If someone is out walking their dog, I know I'll have to wait for them to go by and get further down the trail; the birds and animals can sense the dog coming and move off.

All that rambling and I bet I told you nothing you don't already know! :lol-2:

Please keep sharing your photos of fungi, etc.! They're beautiful!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A Pileated Woodpecker came to my backyard feeder yesterday! :dance:
Its the largest woodpecker in North America. I get daily visits from the other two types that are in this area; the Hairy Woodpecker and the Downy Woodpecker (smallest of the three).
She was back today and will likely continue to return.
This is as exciting as if Santa landed his sleigh in my backyard! :appl:
Right? Its not just me, is it?

0I5A1357.JPG
0I5A1364.JPG
0I5A1368.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results