shape
carat
color
clarity

Please share your photos of nature, wildlife, etc.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
December Fire -- have you thought about entering photography contests or submitting some of your pics to Audubon or Nat Geo?

Geez, @Matata , I blush at the thought. Thank you.

I haven't, but I'm thinking of looking into contests just for fun and curiosity.
Regardless, I am thrilled at the thought that my photos might bring others some enjoyment.
I know I love seeing other people's photos!
There is so much beauty around us!
Too often, life is moving at a fast pace and filled with things that need our attention, so we don't get a chance to pause and see the amazing natural wonders around us.
There are also incredible scenes and wildlife that aren't local to us.
Photos and the internet allow us to enjoy these blessings regardless of where we live.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, here is something a little different. I did my first Milky Way shoot the night before the eclipse.

Milky way - Costco-1.jpg

I actually did the foreground in the early evening and then combined the sky taken about two to three hours later. (Without moving the camera.)

Wink

This is your first Milky Way shoot!?!? :shock:

Its stunning! :love: :love: :love:

Absolutely breathtaking. It has such a peaceful, calming, yet awe-inspiring affect.
The lighting of the mountains and the sky are perfect, allowing us to see the beauty in each element of the photo.

I hope this one gets enlarged, framed and hung in a place of honour.

Thanks for sharing it with us. Its beautiful. =)2

By the way, please excuse my tardiness, but have you and your lovely wife just celebrated 40 years of marriage in August?

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few hummingbird photos. =)2

0I5A1139.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
=)2

0I5A1145.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kiss me!
I might be a Prince. :Up_to_something:

0I5A2987.JPG

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@redwood66 ,

Thanks! =)2

By the way, off to the Library today to pick up another photography book.

Great to see you, Redwood!

:wavey:

Nice to see you too! Did you get a good one? I need a couple more updated ones but have not picked them out yet. It takes me awhile to decide because I read reviews til my eyes bleed.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nice to see you too! Did you get a good one? I need a couple more updated ones but have not picked them out yet. It takes me awhile to decide because I read reviews til my eyes bleed.

:lol-2: @redwood66 Sounds like me when I'm researching a purchase!
Given that this is a Library book I picked up, there was very little 'research' prior to requesting it. ;)2

Its called Fifty Paths to Creative Photography, by Michael Freeman.
He wrote "The Photographer's Eye", which I believe I previously read; also borrowed from the Library.

Just started reading it, so can't provide feedback at this point.
As opposed to being about the 'technical' aspects of photography, this book is about the 'creative' aspects; composition, mindset, subject matter, etc. There are 50 'paths' presented. The first is called 'There are no rules' and lists some 'rules' such as the Rule of Thirds and not cutting off heads; the point being that it isn't always necessary to follow these so-called rules. A photo by Guy Bourdin was presented as an example of a 'successful' photo that cuts off part of the subject.
Photo by Guy Bourdin, as part of a series of advertising shots for the French shoe manufacturer Charles Jourdan.
Below that is a photo i took of a duck, included earlier in this thread for a chuckle.

One Path down, 49 more to go! :P2

Guy Bourdin's photo:
GuyBourdin-CharlesJourdan-8.jpg

My photo:
IMG_9151.JPG

OK, now I'll try and be serious. I don't know if you're looking at getting books that are 'technical' or about 'composition' (just my terms). I'm interested in both. For 'composition', this book may not tell you anything you don't already know. As I said, I've just started reading it so it isn't fair to make many comments but, so far, my sense is that there are things that may not be easy to apply to wildlife photography. I'm going to see what I can find that specifically addresses wildlife photography. If you have any books to recommend, that would be great!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This is your first Milky Way shoot!?!? :shock:

Its stunning! :love: :love: :love:

Absolutely breathtaking. It has such a peaceful, calming, yet awe-inspiring affect.
The lighting of the mountains and the sky are perfect, allowing us to see the beauty in each element of the photo.

I hope this one gets enlarged, framed and hung in a place of honour.

Thanks for sharing it with us. Its beautiful. =)2

By the way, please excuse my tardiness, but have you and your lovely wife just celebrated 40 years of marriage in August?

I picked up my 24 x 16 print on metal from Costco late Friday. It is hanging in the bar room and needs better lighting. It was the only wall where I could hang it that light from the windows did not totally reflect off the metal and make it impossible to see the picture other than at night.

I had a 6 x 4, a 10 x 8 and a 12 x 8 print made on paper first to see how it looked. When I opened up the envelope a friend and his wife came by and she wanted a copy made for her wall. She asked how much and I told her what ever Costco charged for the 24 x 16 print. I am now a completely amateur photographer with one print sold for $0.00 profit.

And no, we have not just celebrated 40 years in August.

We celebrated 44 years! ;)2

Oh, and thank you for your kind words about my first Milky Way shot. It will NOT be my last! Next summer my friend is coming up and we are going to Stanley, Idaho to shoot the incredible mountains there as well as planning our trip around the new moon so as to be able to shoot the Milky Way there too.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here are a few of the other pictures I took on my trip to Leslie Gulch, before it got dark enough to shoot the Milky Way. It is a rugged country. Leslie Gulch was named for a cattleman killed by lightning there in the 1800's.

Leslie Gulch-1.jpg Leslie Gulch-2.jpg Leslie Gulch-3.jpg Leslie Gulch-4.jpg Leslie Gulch-6.jpg Leslie Gulch-8.jpg Leslie Gulch-9.jpg

Rugged, but beautiful!

Wink

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked up my 24 x 16 print on metal from Costco late Friday. It is hanging in the bar room and needs better lighting. It was the only wall where I could hang it that light from the windows did not totally reflect off the metal and make it impossible to see the picture other than at night.

I had a 6 x 4, a 10 x 8 and a 12 x 8 print made on paper first to see how it looked. When I opened up the envelope a friend and his wife came by and she wanted a copy made for her wall. She asked how much and I told her what ever Costco charged for the 24 x 16 print. I am now a completely amateur photographer with one print sold for $0.00 profit.

And no, we have not just celebrated 40 years in August.

We celebrated 44 years! ;)2

Oh, and thank you for your kind words about my first Milky Way shot. It will NOT be my last! Next summer my friend is coming up and we are going to Stanley, Idaho to shoot the incredible mountains there as well as planning our trip around the new moon so as to be able to shoot the Milky Way there too.

Wink

Congratulations to you and your lovely wife on 44 years of marriage!
Wishing you many more years of love, laughter and adventure! =)2

Congratulations also on your first photo sale!
Given your profit of $0.00, its probably wise to keep your day job. ;)2
Regardless of any monetary successful with your amazing photos, please keep your day job.
Your planned trip sounds wonderful!

Thank you for providing the photos and history of Leslie Gulch!
Breathtaking country!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You are welcome. Given that I love my day job I think it is safe to say that I will keep it.

Photos are a nice hobby and a LOT of fun, but I do not see it ever becoming a hobby that I would want to devote my life to. Money, and hours of pleasure in taking and processing the photos, but to become a slave to it, no thanks!

If things work out in two to three weeks I will go out to the Birds of Prey area as they will be flying some of their magnificent birds. I may get some great shots then...

Wink

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
And then there were 3
what.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Canada Geese making a splash.

0I5A4810.JPG

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Things that make you go hmmmmmm
hmmmm.JPG

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Karl_K , hmmmmm, indeed. Don't want to step on it with bare feet.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Caught this little guy on my fountain today. Had to take this from inside so it's not the best but you can see how cute he is anyways.

IMG_2513.JPG

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, he's so cute Stephanie! Very nice pic - I love your fountain!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Caught this little guy on my fountain today. Had to take this from inside so it's not the best but you can see how cute he is anyways.

IMG_2513.JPG

He's adorable! And so relaxed!
Clearly, you've created a wonderful retreat for the birds which provides them with a feeling of safety!
Beautiful fountain! Love the bubbly water. Bet it sounds so peaceful.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Junebug and DF! I didn't really realize the birds were enjoying the fountain so now I just make sure to keep it good and filled for them. The neighbors enjoy it too, it is a nice relaxing sound so it seems to bring a lot of joy all around!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Junebug and DF! I didn't really realize the birds were enjoying the fountain so now I just make sure to keep it good and filled for them. The neighbors enjoy it too, it is a nice relaxing sound so it seems to bring a lot of joy all around!

Wonderful!

Yes, provide food, water and shelter (trees/shrubs), and you'll attract birds and other wildlife. :appl:

'Food' can mean berry-producing shrubs and flowers that provide nectar and/or seeds.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fish and a side salad. =)2

0I5A7237.JPG

Actually, forget about the salad.

0I5A7238.JPG

Let's just have fish! :mrgreen2:

0I5A7248.JPG

Oh, oh! Better make this meal 'to go'! :eek2:

0I5A7256.JPG

0I5A7280.JPG

Moral of the story - according to the fish:
Being popular isn't always a good thing.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Different Great Blue Heron and different fish.
The little fish in this bird's beak is just an appetizer. =)2

0I5A7505.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results