shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with my CAD!

pricklypear

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I’m getting so so so close with my custom ring, but it’s still not quite right. I’ve seen two waxes, and finally I requested to see the CAD version before we proceed with the third wax.

I know overall, I need to make some compromises because:
- Newer cast rings can’t be as thin as antique (and I don’t think this jeweler does hand forged)
- My stone is smaller—mine is 5.73x5.47 and the original is probably 6.61mm wide (although the site says those are the dimensions for the “ring top” so I’m not sure if that includes the prongs).

You've given me some great feedback on the stone and the setting, and now I’m hoping you can give me some advice on how to make it more closely resemble my inspiration ring! I've already learned so much from reading about other custom ring experiences!

Stats:

Custom ring
Ring size 6
Ring material: platinum

Center stone: .95ct antique cushion, 5.73 x 5.47 x 4.29mm
First step: Two 1.5mm (all the melee are brilliant cut)
Second step: One 1.5mm
Third step: One 1.2 mm

Original ring
Ring size 6.25
Ring material: platinum

Center stone: .91 ct OMC, 6.61mm (maybe)
Steps: .20 tcw brilliant cut

Here’s what I see:

Top profile
Looks good, but do you think the top/bottom (N/S) prongs are a tiny bit too far apart? What do you think of the ratio of the steps/stones?

Side Profile
I’ve mostly been struggling with getting the angles and spacing right.

The angles of the top of the ring look rounder than the original. Is it really that round, or is it the CAD model exaggerating the shape?

Can the first step be wider to have more space in the side profile, or will that make the first step too wide when you’re looking at it from the top?

Can the last bit taper to a point? Or is that the CAD messing with my eyes?

The prongs (well, the extension of the prongs to the base) look too close to 90 degrees (straight up and down), can they be angled?

Should the space between the swoop (under the ovals) and the base be smaller? Would this help with the point above about angled prongs?

Angled profiles
The prongs don’t seem to angle at all, but other than that, it looks good!

Any other opinions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!!

img_5803.png

_23571.jpg

img_5891.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now my suggestions will make this look less like the inspiration. But I think more flattering overall.

I think the head sets the stone too high. I think it would benefit from removing that swoopy head detail, and lowering the stone and basket detail down to wear the swoopy part is, essentially reduce ring it from two head details to one.

This would then lower the angle of the side detail, making the cathedral less pronounced.

Whatxia the width of that shank?

pricklypear

Rough_Rock
Hi Niel,

No worries, I'm looking for all opinions, and I've definitely wondered if the head was too high. This also addresses my concern that there's just too much metal for the size of the stone.

Shank width is 1.85mm, 1.66mm thick. (Edited to add: original shank is 1.86 wide, 1.25 thick. Oh those dainty antique rings!)

Thanks for your input!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I echo your concerns about the amount of the metal in the head. Though lovely, a very ornate head can swallow the average stone.

Also, i think just in general a stone doesnt need that much empty space between the stone and your finger. It can make more it susceptible to hits on things, too

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with the suggestion of Niel to opt for a lower setting: less metal, less hitting on things and it will create a very elegant look.

pricklypear

Rough_Rock
Thanks again Niel and thanks Acinom!

Any opinions on the angles an spacing on the profile?

Also, just for a learning experience, can you help me figure out why Scoupe and john_john's settings work? I know, completely different style, but to me, they look like metal-heavy baskets set kind of high. Is it just enough lower, and because the cathedral arms are much smaller? Because I'm going 8-prong, and these are 4-prong?

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...eye-candy.5429/page-292#post-3670394#p3670394
0.51ct VVS2
Scoupe said:

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...sscher-er.200882/page-4#post-3752181#p3752181
1.15ct J VS2 (5.90x5.82x4.00)
john_john said:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results