shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with Green Tsavorite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone,
I posted a while back as I had a ring with yellow diamonds I wanted to reset with a colored stone. Many of you suggested a Tsavorite or peridot or a Spessarite. I''m leaning towards a green stone I think.

here''s the original thread

Here''s some stones I''m considering:

tsa1.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
option 2 Tsavorite

tsa2.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
option 3 tsavorite

tsa6.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
option 4 tsavorite

tsa4.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I don''t really know too much about these gemstones and a little worried about their eyecleaness. They''re from Multicolour.com. If you don''t like any of them, I''ll go back to the drawing board
1.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Why don't you get Wink to find you one?

He found the one I have in my e-ring. It's top colour, very well cut, and sparkles like crazy. It also has no inclusions that I have been able to find even under a good x10 loupe.

Pala have a good selection - but you need someone in the trade to order it for you.

Looking at the pictures you posted, I'm not fussed on any of them - the colour on the first is the best, but the inclusions would bother me. The others are all too pale to get the full tsavorite effect.

Tsavs appear to change colour in different lights - mine is a bright green in sunlight and then goes a forest green with neon green flashes under electric light, but you want to minimise the amount of yellow in the colour. The more they lean towards the bluey-green shades the better.

Good stones don't come cheap though.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another suggestion:

Jeff White (www.whitesgems.com) has access to top Tsavorite rough and is an excellent cutter. He should be cutting some for me by the end of the year.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2007 10:42:35 AM
Author: Harriet
Another suggestion:

Jeff White (www.whitesgems.com) has access to top Tsavorite rough and is an excellent cutter. He should be cutting some for me by the end of the year.
Ooooh, what is he cutting you? Do you know yet?

I was looking at the rough on his site and it was sooooo tempting!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2007 11:34:56 AM
Author: Pandora II

Date: 10/11/2007 10:42:35 AM
Author: Harriet
Another suggestion:

Ooooh, what is he cutting you? Do you know yet?

I was looking at the rough on his site and it was sooooo tempting!
Currently, a neon yellow Danburite! At the end of the year, a Tsavorite cushion (keeping my fingers crossed).

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/11/2007 7:45:18 AM
Why don''t you get Wink to find you one?

He found the one I have in my e-ring. It''s top colour, very well cut, and sparkles like crazy. It also has no inclusions that I have been able to find even under a good x10 loupe.

Pala have a good selection - but you need someone in the trade to order it for you.

Looking at the pictures you posted, I''m not fussed on any of them - the colour on the first is the best, but the inclusions would bother me. The others are all too pale to get the full tsavorite effect.

Tsavs appear to change colour in different lights - mine is a bright green in sunlight and then goes a forest green with neon green flashes under electric light, but you want to minimise the amount of yellow in the colour. The more they lean towards the bluey-green shades the better.

Good stones don''t come cheap though.
Well, I''m afraid I wouldn''t want to bother Wink when I don''t plan on spending that much money. Are Tsavorites supposed to be more blue-green?

How about Green Tourmaine?

tour10001.JPG

Hera

Ideal_Rock
tourm 2 Thanks for everyone''s help so far
1.gif

tour20001.JPG

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Here is a GREAT tsav. and v famous on PS.

Ta dah! The Pokey Special

PokeySpecial11102007.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
It looks like a Leon and if it is you''ve shot me through the heart
30.gif

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
While it has a small window I think # 2 is a beautiful example of tsavorite.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just give Wink a call. Really.
1.gif
He deals with stones according to everyone's budget; expensive or lesser. He does not mind. I'm not crazy about any of the stone you posted, they are either too dark, too light, has windows, lifeless, etc.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
For most garnets a medium light to medium tone is ideal. Also the hue in that stone (#2) looks green with no secondary yellow on my moniter. If the saturation is strong (5) it really doesn't get much better. If I were looking for a tsav. # 2 would be a contender in my book. I am pretty sure I could live with the small window and use the extra $$$ in the mounting.

I guess we all have differences and thats what makes this crazy world go round.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Do you like this one better? Another Tsavorite

tsa50.jpg

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Based on the photo, I do.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
It's from AJS Gems, are they a good company?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t know as I''ve never bought from them.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
That looks nice!

I've never bought from them - but I have liked plenty on their website. Plenty of people on PS do buy there and are v.happy.

I still think Wink is the best bet - you can view things on Wink TV after all!

Pala have a good article on tsavorite... http://palagems.com/tsavorite_bancroft.htm#buying_guide

sarahthewarrior

Shiny_Rock
Another tsavorite lover chiming in.

I agree with the previous posts--those first few tsavs you posted are no good. Very included, not very good color. The last one from AJS Gems looks a million times better, and while I''ve never personally ordered from them, other PSers have definitely been happy with their experiences. I understand they''re pretty easy to call, too, in case you''re unsure about the purchase.

I think I''ve missed just how big a tsav you''re looking for. Price definitely skyrockets when you hit the 1ct mark, so be prepared to shell out a little more for top quality. I second (or third?) Pandora''s suggestion to go through Wink. It''s definitely worth taking the time to find a good one. Love the Pokey special!
30.gif

Pandora, not to threadjack, but is your ring done yet? Have I somehow missed your thread? I''ve been dying to see it!!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Hey Sarah,

Wondered where you were. How''s married life?

You will all have to wait till xmas to see the pics of my ring. I sent it back to Wink to get some things fixed with the setting, and it probably won''t be back till then.

I decided not to post pics till it was perfect - but then I''ll take loads.

It is gorgeous though and I''m in love with my stone - everything I hoped for!

sarahthewarrior

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/11/2007 9:51:19 PM
Hey Sarah,

Wondered where you were. How''s married life?

You will all have to wait till xmas to see the pics of my ring. I sent it back to Wink to get some things fixed with the setting, and it probably won''t be back till then.

I decided not to post pics till it was perfect - but then I''ll take loads.

It is gorgeous though and I''m in love with my stone - everything I hoped for!
CHRISTMAS?!?
39.gif
But I''ve been such a good girl! Gah, I know this must be killing you much more, but at least you''ve seen that gorgeous tsav in person already.
2.gif

Married life is great, but grad school totally sucks. I work all the time, and I''ve pulled more all-nighters than I''d care to admit. So glad I have a nice househusband to take care of me.
1.gif
I''m not on much anymore because of all the work--but I had an exam today and fall break (a four-day weekend, whoop-de-doo) starts after tomorrow. So I''m taking it easy tonight. And sleeping from tomorrow afternoon until Sunday.
2.gif

Hope all the wedding planning is going well! I will totally be stalking you until you post pictures of that ring.
11.gif

In the meantime, I guess I''ll be drooling over Hera''s future purchase...
3.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pandora, I searched for your ring. No wonder I couldn''t find it. I too am looking forward to seeing it. (Sorry for prolonging the threadjacking.)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last tsavorite looks like the best one you posted. I love garnets. I will be anxious to see what you get.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
imho opinion that last stones color does look good but I think it would be pretty lifeless because of the LARGE window.

Perhaps some one could take the time to educate me as to why the the last stone is lkie a million times better than option 2.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
I''m going to call wink tomorrow, but here''s another stone I found. A Namibian Tourmaline:

What do you think? Are tourmalines as nice as tsavorites?

namibian tourm.jpg

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2007 3:43:13 AM
Author: colormyworld
imho opinion that last stones color does look good but I think it would be pretty lifeless because of the LARGE window.

Perhaps some one could take the time to educate me as to why the the last stone is lkie a million times better than option 2.
Good question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results