shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with Green Tsavorite

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't say that the last Tsavorite is a million times better than the second, but it appears clearer and more saturated.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last tsavorite looks sparkley (around the edges only due to the large window in the center), and the colour is more saturated but has a larger window.
Stone #2 is brighter (lighter green) and has a smaller window.

sarahthewarrior

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/12/2007 3:43:13 AM
Author: colormyworld
imho opinion that last stones color does look good but I think it would be pretty lifeless because of the LARGE window.

Perhaps some one could take the time to educate me as to why the the last stone is lkie a million times better than option 2.
I said the AJS stone looked a million times better (an eye-clean SI2 diamond looks a million times better than frozen spit, does it not?), but I didn''t say I would buy it--I still suggested getting Wink to find one. Option 2, like the rest of the first stones posted, is still very included and not as nice a color. I haven''t seen a stone posted yet that I would buy without question. Just giving Hera a little more insight into what she should be looking for in terms of color. It''s hard to tell much more from such small pictures from only one angle--all of these stones would require further inquiry.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
imo, a green tourmaline while gorgeous [and no matter how good the color and cut] will not appear s sparkly as a tsav.

refractive index:

Tourmaline, Green 1.61 - 1.64
Garnet, Tsavorite 1.739 - 1.744

numbers may not seem much different but it does make a difference to the eye.

however, there is a rather large price difference between a quality green tourmaline and and quality tsav.

movie zombie

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
Frozen spit???? As large as the picture of option 2 is I am not surpized to see a couple of inclusions. I really think calling it frozen spit is a bit over the top! Colored stones are not graded to the same standards as diamonds. No loupe required.
Which is what most people would need to see those small inclusions in option # 2.

As far as saturation I'm not so sure it is stronger in the AGS stone. We really don't know what lighting conditions the photos were taken. I will agree that the tone does look darker in the AGS stone but can not agree about saturation.

The best way would be a side by side look see to know for sure.

colormyworld

Brilliant_Rock
I did a little looking at multicolor and think I found the stone in question. Here is the link.

http://www.multicolour.com/detail/?-310253411 If you click on the high lighted parts you will see the tone and sat.

I don't think you will beat that price for that quality any where. At least for us mere mortals who most times must buy at retail.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
For that price, that stone is a great buy.

The inclusions should be able to be hidden under a prong too.

It all depends on what one is after a stone for. Mine was for my e-ring so I was happy to search for the best my money could buy. Colour is always very subjective as well. I like 5/6 on tsavorites, as I like the darker tones as long as there is colour and not extinction. The pic in my avatar looks much darker than the stone really is, as Wink managed to get his hand over it just as I took the screenshot and so it''s totally in shadow - but my tsavorite is probably darker than a lot of people would like, even though it is appraised as the ''ideal'' colour (whatever that means exactly).

For my other jewellery, I like a nice price/quality ratio, but on the whole if it''s pretty and in my (normally v.small) budget I''ll buy it.

Hera

Ideal_Rock
Well as much as I love the price of that stone, I''m a little worried about the size. My ring has two .35 yellow diamonds for a total .70ctw. Would a .57 look small in the setting? Here''s a pic looking straight on:

Also, thank you everyone for your help
1.gif

DSCN05060001.JPG

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The second stone seemed quite a good spread. You want to look at the stone dimensions rather than at the ct wt.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results