shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with custom oval diamond eternity ring

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Hi @Fabfashion totally agree on the oval/brilliant eternity versus emerald cut. I love my emerald cut er but when I tried on an emerald cut eternity band, it just didn’t sparkle as much as the brilliant variants.

Here’s an interesting article I found. I do think it’s possible to get oval cuts with less apparent bowties. Sounds like it has to do with how many pavilion mains there are.

Lara Abi

Rough_Rock
So u advise me not to get an emerald band?

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
@Lara Abi I think if you try ec and some brilliant cut (round, oval, marquis, etc) at the same time you will know. I think ec/ asschers are beautiful but it’s a different type of sparkle. My personal preference is for ecs to be larger. For tennis bracelets and riviera necklaces, I prefer round. But it’s all about personal preference.

Lara Abi

Rough_Rock
@Lara Abi I think if you try ec and some brilliant cut (round, oval, marquis, etc) at the same time you will know. I think ec/ asschers are beautiful but it’s a different type of sparkle. My personal preference is for ecs to be larger. For tennis bracelets and riviera necklaces, I prefer round. But it’s all about personal preference.

I had a concern regarding full eternity in terms of safety

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
I had a concern regarding full eternity in terms of safety

I do like emerald eternity. Have a whole Pinterest board dedicated to eternity rings and a lot of pics are of EC. It depends on what you like. My left hand ring that I wear daily is an oval cut so in the end it makes sense even though I like rectangular and square shapes of EC and AC. Choose whichever cut you love. If you’re in a city where you can try them in person then all the better. I wish I have that option. I definitely know I don’t like round ones or princess. I have 5 round diamond ring which I took out the stones to make a bracelet instead and I have 7 stones princess which I only wear when I travel. For eternity I really want as much sparkle as I can. Also, are you planning to stack yours? Then you may want to try it out with the other ring(s) you plan to wear it with.

In terms of safety, as Garry mentioned previously, when the girdles are protected they’re safer. I think EC witch the way they’re set will be much better protected than oval with tapered ends.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock

I think EC needs to be at least .50ct each based on the pics I’ve seen.

Lara Abi

Rough_Rock
I do like emerald eternity. Have a whole Pinterest board dedicated to eternity rings and a lot of pics are of EC. It depends on what you like. My left hand ring that I wear daily is an oval cut so in the end it makes sense even though I like rectangular and square shapes of EC and AC. Choose whichever cut you love. If you’re in a city where you can try them in person then all the better. I wish I have that option. I definitely know I don’t like round ones or princess. I have 5 round diamond ring which I took out the stones to make a bracelet instead and I have 7 stones princess which I only wear when I travel. For eternity I really want as much sparkle as I can. Also, are you planning to stack yours? Then you may want to try it out with the other ring(s) you plan to wear it with.

In terms of safety, as Garry mentioned previously, when the girdles are protected they’re safer. I think EC witch the way they’re set will be much better protected than oval with tapered ends.

No stacking for me as I’m planning to get a big band

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Fabfashion totally agree on the oval/brilliant eternity versus emerald cut. I love my emerald cut er but when I tried on an emerald cut eternity band, it just didn’t sparkle as much as the brilliant variants.

Here’s an interesting article I found. I do think it’s possible to get oval cuts with less apparent bowties. Sounds like it has to do with how many pavilion mains there are.

Thank you for the article! I’m learning something new all the time. I have an oval ring for 20 years and never really know much about it.

I spoke with the jeweller just now and we’re going ahead with this parcel of ovals (the ones in pics above). Yay! I’m so excited! It’s stressful deciding on setting, size of the stones then now the actual stones. Glad that part is done with. He said the cut of these stones is exceptional and well calibrated. He looked at another parcel from another vendor that usually carries triple A and this parcel is about 30% better visually than the other parcel. So I trust his professional judgement. He said they’re super brilliant. There are 3-4 stones that may show the bow tie at some angles but overall will not be obvious given the brilliance. Phew! This was hardwork. I think I’m going to go grab a glass of wine or two now and watch some HGTV.

Lara Abi

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the article! I’m learning something new all the time. I have an oval ring for 20 years and never really know much about it.

I spoke with the jeweller just now and we’re going ahead with this parcel of ovals (the ones in pics above). Yay! I’m so excited! It’s stressful deciding on setting, size of the stones then now the actual stones. Glad that part is done with. He said the cut of these stones is exceptional and well calibrated. He looked at another parcel from another vendor that usually carries triple A and this parcel is about 30% better visually than the other parcel. So I trust his professional judgement. He said they’re super brilliant. There are 3-4 stones that may show the bow tie at some angles but overall will not be obvious given the brilliance. Phew! This was hardwork. I think I’m going to go grab a glass of wine or two now and watch some HGTV.

Congrats!!

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
No stacking for me as I’m planning to get a big band

I think the big band EC will be awesome. Here are some pics from my Pinterest board. Let us know when you go ahead.

9AC6ED3D-0E80-487E-A948-FEEA900CC0B3.jpeg 05878235-6324-4D03-B74B-70155FC9B5DE.jpeg

Lara Abi

Rough_Rock
I think the big band EC will be awesome. Here are some pics from my Pinterest board. Let us know when you go ahead.

9AC6ED3D-0E80-487E-A948-FEEA900CC0B3.jpeg 05878235-6324-4D03-B74B-70155FC9B5DE.jpeg

Ohhhh that’s amazing !!!

I have a question though?

Lara Abi

Rough_Rock
Is it safe to have a full eternity??

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Is it safe to have a full eternity??

You may want to start a new thread. Do you mean damage to the ring when worn? Personally I think it depends on what you do day today. Also, accidents happen. Most members here seem to have insurance on their jewelry. There are a few threads on insurance. This way if something happens, you’re covered.

Lara Abi

Rough_Rock
You may want to start a new thread. Do you mean damage to the ring when worn? Personally I think it depends on what you do day today. Also, accidents happen. Most members here seem to have insurance on their jewelry. There are a few threads on insurance. This way if something happens, you’re covered.

Yes I’m afraid I might damage it

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Yes I’m afraid I might damage it

Emerald cut looks more sturdy to me because of the rectagular proportion. You‘ll have to ask the experts on the forum. To me, an oval is probably more prone to chip because of the thin flat edges (technical term–not!) than an emerald cut. Diamonds are pretty hardy though so you’ll have to hit it really hard or at an odd angle to really do damage. Also, I read that if it has an inclusion at some location and you happen to hit at a certain spot it can chip off—very rare though. On a big solitaire, I’d be more worry about the prong damage than the big stone itself.

Lara Abi

Rough_Rock
Emerald cut looks more sturdy to me because of the rectagular proportion. You‘ll have to ask the experts on the forum. To me, an oval is probably more prone to chip because of the thin flat edges (technical term–not!) than an emerald cut. Diamonds are pretty hardy though so you’ll have to hit it really hard or at an odd angle to really do damage. Also, I read that if it has an inclusion and you happen to hit at a certain spot it can chip off—very rare though. On a big solitaire, I’d be more worry about the prong damage than the big stone itself.

I’m planning to wear it to work
That’s why I’m afraid

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Quick update: I’ve signed off on the diamond parcel. Saw first set of CADs. Spoke with DK and Amy to finalize specs. Amy said she’ll tweak the CAD. Then I received an email today that said they’re going into casting. Am I supposed to sign off on the CAD first before casting and what is it they’re casting—the wax mold?

Also, do you normally ask to see the mold in person? They offered to ship it to me to try.

This is all new to me. My old jeweller just made the pieces and I never saw them until they were finished.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What was the tweek Amy made? Ask her to see the cad with the tweeks. I would get a plastic mold. It will help you to
know if the fit is good or not.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results