shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help with custom oval diamond eternity ring

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry if this is already posted elsewhere and would appreciate a link to the thread(s) if there’s already information on this. Thanks to the information I read on this forum from all the helpful members, I’ve decided to go the custom route for my oval diamond eternity ring (0.30ct each). I’m in Canada and will be working with a US-based jeweller. Would appreciate your help in answering my questions.

On the ring:
- I haven’t seen a lot of oval eternity rings set in u-prong setting. Do you think it’ll look too busy/distracting? One jeweller said oval eternity rings are only set in a shared prong setting; U-prong will look pretty unattractive. I like the idea of the u-prong because I read that it lets in a lot of light and will make the stones even more sparkly.
- One quote I received is for GIA certified D-E-F color, VVS1-VS2. My main LHR is a 2.4 ct oval, G color. I also have a nearly 5 ct round diamond solitaire in E color which I very rarely wear. My first engagement ring is 1.01 ct round in H colour but I don’t wear it for the past few years as it’s too small (to be resized one of these days). The oval eternity ring will be for my right hand. Should I be concerned that it’ll be too white or doesn’t matter since it’ll be for my RH? I do like white shiny diamonds.
- I’m asking for size 8 ring. My ring finger is about 7 1/2 but am asking for a little bigger so I could wear it on my middle finger too. Comfort is key. I’m now wondering if I should go up to 0.35 ct or 0.40 ct.? The GIA stones are approx. 5.6mm x 3.8mm. I’d like something that’s substantial that I can wear alone but not ostentatious and looks too big for my finger (stuck out too far out the sides). Without having any to try on. It’s hard to know how big is too big.

On logistics/process:
  • Should I pay by CC, wire transfer or PayPal? I read in a few posts that suggested paying by PayPal and if there were issues PayPal was able to resolve them.
  • Has anyone living outside of the US worked with a jeweller in the US before on a custom piece? Please share your experience working with a jeweller long distance. My custom pieces had always been done locally.
  • All the pieces I’d custom made were over 10 years old and didn’t have any CAD drawings. Just showed my jewellers the design and I got the finished products. They were hand forged. What’s the process of working with CAD drawings, wax mold, etc.? I figured an eternity ring can’t be that complicated?
  • And for Canadians importing jewelry into Canada, did you experience any issues with the courier and custom?
Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You mean north south then.
If the girdles of the diamonds protude there is an increased chance of chipping damage to the edges of the diamonds and huge likelyhood you will wreck furniture and car doors.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
You mean north south then.
If the girdles of the diamonds protude there is an increased chance of chipping damage to the edges of the diamonds and huge likelyhood you will wreck furniture and car doors.

That‘s a very good point. Thanks, Garry. I really ‘wear’ my stuff and more than half the time forget I have jewelry on. I’m hoping David Klass will be doing my ring and will ask him.

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Hi @Fabfashion I just saw this suite on Insta and thought of you. Dolly is based in LA so if you like these it seems like she could easily get them to David Klass.

D88EDAFD-D01C-494A-A7BB-46F4AA84B29B.jpeg

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @Fabfashion I just saw this suite on Insta and thought of you. Dolly is based in LA so if you like these it seems like she could easily get them to David Klass.

D88EDAFD-D01C-494A-A7BB-46F4AA84B29B.jpeg
Thank you so much, @lulu_ma! This may work .The suite he’s looking at is short 1 stone (need 18) so I’ll ask him to take a look.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
@lulu_ma, I couldn’t find this particular post under her feed but sent the image to DK. Thanks again! Although my hubby may be a little mad at you for pointing me to Dolly’s feed. Lol. She has nice stuff!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
:) you should message her. She gets good deals. That oval suite was a preview in her stories.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
:) you should message her. She gets good deals. That oval suite was a preview in her stories.

DK checked with her and they’re not fully graded yet and only approx. .18 ct each. So pretty though but too small for my project. Now I’m eying her other bling. ;)2

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Tell your husband I said sorry :lol:

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
She’s a Havanese. I think they are cousins of Maltese :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
She’s a Havanese. I think they are cousins of Maltese :)

Lol.

Is that a Maltese in your avatar? I have 3 Maltese furbabies.

Sorry to thread Jack but I have a Maltese girl and they are lovely pups.

Mine sleeps like a goof
20210319_133539.jpg

And enjoys smashing herself next to her "little" (but much bigger) sister.
20210307_113351.jpg

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Adorable!

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry to thread Jack but I have a Maltese girl and they are lovely pups.

Mine sleeps like a goof
20210319_133539.jpg

And enjoys smashing herself next to her "little" (but much bigger) sister.
20210307_113351.jpg

They’re so cute! Mine are no help when it comes to opinions on diamonds. Lol.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
Update: I’m excited to be moving ahead!

Question: do ovals always show the bow tie/shadows? My oval ring is 2.4 ct and depending on the angle and lighting I may occasionally (=rarely) see the shadow. This is a screenshot of the video of some of the diamonds I’m considering. Is the bow tie more an affect from the lighting and the dark blue background or do you think this is indicative of obvious bow ties even when they’re mounted?

CC74C2F9-8D7D-457B-9821-21256A07CC8D.jpeg

Lara Abi

Rough_Rock
Sorry if this is already posted elsewhere and would appreciate a link to the thread(s) if there’s already information on this. Thanks to the information I read on this forum from all the helpful members, I’ve decided to go the custom route for my oval diamond eternity ring (0.30ct each). I’m in Canada and will be working with a US-based jeweller. Would appreciate your help in answering my questions.

On the ring:
- I haven’t seen a lot of oval eternity rings set in u-prong setting. Do you think it’ll look too busy/distracting? One jeweller said oval eternity rings are only set in a shared prong setting; U-prong will look pretty unattractive. I like the idea of the u-prong because I read that it lets in a lot of light and will make the stones even more sparkly.
- One quote I received is for GIA certified D-E-F color, VVS1-VS2. My main LHR is a 2.4 ct oval, G color. I also have a nearly 5 ct round diamond solitaire in E color which I very rarely wear. My first engagement ring is 1.01 ct round in H colour but I don’t wear it for the past few years as it’s too small (to be resized one of these days). The oval eternity ring will be for my right hand. Should I be concerned that it’ll be too white or doesn’t matter since it’ll be for my RH? I do like white shiny diamonds.
- I’m asking for size 8 ring. My ring finger is about 7 1/2 but am asking for a little bigger so I could wear it on my middle finger too. Comfort is key. I’m now wondering if I should go up to 0.35 ct or 0.40 ct.? The GIA stones are approx. 5.6mm x 3.8mm. I’d like something that’s substantial that I can wear alone but not ostentatious and looks too big for my finger (stuck out too far out the sides). Without having any to try on. It’s hard to know how big is too big.

On logistics/process:
  • Should I pay by CC, wire transfer or PayPal? I read in a few posts that suggested paying by PayPal and if there were issues PayPal was able to resolve them.
  • Has anyone living outside of the US worked with a jeweller in the US before on a custom piece? Please share your experience working with a jeweller long distance. My custom pieces had always been done locally.
  • All the pieces I’d custom made were over 10 years old and didn’t have any CAD drawings. Just showed my jewellers the design and I got the finished products. They were hand forged. What’s the process of working with CAD drawings, wax mold, etc.? I figured an eternity ring can’t be that complicated?
  • And for Canadians importing jewelry into Canada, did you experience any issues with the courier and custom?
Thank you in advance.

I think it’s best to try something similar from a local jeweler

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Hi @Fabfashion check out this video. Seems like the bowties will be visible but I’m not an oval expert

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
One more video @Fabfashion

There are 3 oval eternity bands in this one.

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
I think it’s best to try something similar from a local jeweler

I wish I could. Unfortunately, we’ve been on lockdown since Dec. 26th and reopened for 3 weeks late Feb. I was only able to try on a couple of round diamond eternity bands 2 & 3 ctw. Most jewelry stores around here only carry smaller bands. Now we’re back to a full lockdown again. :cry2:

Lara Abi

Rough_Rock
I wish I could. Unfortunately, we’ve been on lockdown since Dec. 26th and reopened for 3 weeks late Feb. I was only able to try on a couple of round diamond eternity bands 2 & 3 ctw. Most jewelry stores around here only carry smaller bands. Now we’re back to a full lockdown again. :cry2:

What carat size did u prefer?

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
One more video @Fabfashion

There are 3 oval eternity bands in this one.

@lulu_ma, thank you so much! I’ve been watching videos and looking at pics. I think the bow tie seem to always be present—more or less depending. Some still photos don’t show any bow tie but I don’t know if that’s a full representation of the stones or just showing the best angle. There’s this video from LaurenB.

IDJ said they can source stones that have no shadows or bow tie but I don’t know if that’s really possible?

Here are more screen shots from videos of the lot I’m considering. 4E620EAE-1396-4D32-A5F4-EF19B198469B.jpeg
0DE3B9B7-5CE1-44A4-83C1-914BB5F751AE.jpeg

Fabtwinsmom

Brilliant_Rock
I want an emerald one

I had considered emerald first then asscher cut but after seeing a 3 ct emerald cut diamond ring at Cartier that still didn’t really sparkle I decided on oval. Emerald will be gorgeous though but my husband prefers something more sparkly and so do I. Can’t go wrong with anything diamond though. Hehe.

Lara Abi

Rough_Rock
I had consider emerald first then asscher cut but after seeing a 3 ct emerald cut diamond ring at Cartier that still didn’t really sparkle I decided on oval. Emerald will be gorgeous though but my husband prefers something more sparkly and so do I. Can’t go wrong with anything diamond. Hehe.
I saw some very sparkling emeralds!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results