shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help :( Which diamond? Suggestions needed

Fiestababy

Rough_Rock
Hi all!!

I've been searching high and low for the ideal diamond for my gf's engagement ring. I looked up for the ideal proportion to get the best performance. I was looking for F color, VVS2 clarity but now I don't know if it's even worth it. My budget is set at around ~10k and have found a couple diamonds that satisfies the proportion that i'm looking for. Ideally, I wanted to get F color, VVS clarity and 1.25ct+ but have settled for the following 2 diamonds. Any insights and suggestions are greatly appreciated! :)

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.22-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1944267?a_aid=recommended
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.34-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-1917065

Thank you in advance!

Regards,
Jason

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hey, is there any reason you are looking for vvs2? You can find vs2s and even si1 that look just as clean to the naked eye.

Would you like to maximise carat size or is 1.25 what you're looking for? The 1.34 is a really nice diamond and I personally don't think the inclusions on the table will be visible but you'll have to confirm that with JA. I love it's proportions and is actually better than the average true hearts in my opinion.

You may also want to consider dropping to si1 and selecting another brand, such a white flash. These are precision cut diamonds. Although I actually prefer the proportions of the JA diamond, the upgrade policy is much better with white flash

http://m.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3692932.htm (don't worry about the inclusion, it has been labelled eye clean).

Don't feel that you are settling!

Fiestababy

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for your reassurance!! Unfortunately, my girlfriend doesn't want anything lower than a VS1. I know cut is the most important factor of a diamond and so I've been focusing more on the cut than anything else. I've put the below diamond on hold.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.34-carat-g-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-1917065

Is this diamond priced right - $10,600? I would hate to get ripped off. If you know of any better diamonds at the 10k price range please let me know. Appreciate your help.

Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fiestababy|1470705110|4063699 said:
Thanks so much for your reassurance!! Unfortunately, my girlfriend doesn't want anything lower than a VS1. I know cut is the most important factor of a diamond and so I've been focusing more on the cut than anything else. I've put the below diamond on hold.

Is this diamond priced right - $10,600? I would hate to get ripped off. If you know of any better diamonds at the 10k price range please let me know. Appreciate your help.

Thanks!

I think the diamond is a great choice and the price is good. You said above, though, that she didn't want below VS1 and this one is VS2. You would need to question James Allen to be sure this stone is 100% eyeclean before ordering.

Fiestababy

Rough_Rock
Sorry I meant she doesn't want anything lower than VS2. I have confirmed with JamesAllen and were told it's completely eyeclean! Now I feel more comfortable with placing the order.

Also, my gf likes solitaire setting and preferably 6 prongs. Would the 6 prongs look overwhelming? She's a size 3.5 and the setting that i'm looking at on JA is the following:

https://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/solitaire/platinum-six-prong-knife-edged-solitaire-engagement-ring-item-2426

It's a tiffany classic solitaire inspired setting, graduated style with the front width of the band @ 2.8mm. Would the band look too wide for her finger and make the diamond appear smaller than it is? Really trying to get the perfect ring for her. Much appreciated!

Thanks again!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Does she have a a Pinterest Account? Dies she want a Tiffany setting?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

JustinVu

Rough_Rock
Nice stone. I just bought a diamond too and really wish my gf didn't have the mentality about D,E,F only. Otherwise I'd have gotten her a much bigger stone with the $11k budget.

Fiestababy

Rough_Rock
Gypsy|1470720151|4063769 said:

Thanks for taking your time to find the 2 settings! I like the first one but it can only be set with 0.75 - 1.25. I'm not too crazy about the claws on the 2nd one. Might have to purchase the setting from somewhere else.... :wall:

She doesn't have a pinterest account and yes she does like tiffany classic setting because it's simple and she likes simple. However, the 2.8mm seems enormous.

Fiestababy

Rough_Rock
JustinVu|1470720412|4063772 said:
Nice stone. I just bought a diamond too and really wish my gf didn't have the mentality about D,E,F only. Otherwise I'd have gotten her a much bigger stone with the $11k budget.

Totally! I read through your post actually and I'm sure your gf will love the ring! It's stunning and it's great that you decided to respect her choices. Diamond purchases are no joke. I'm always about bang for the buck purchases but my limited knowledge on diamonds doesn't help...Good thing we found this forum. Everyone's been nice and very helpful.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for taking your time to find the 2 settings! I like the first one but it can only be set with 0.75 - 1.25.

Call JA and ask if it will fit your stone. They may be able to make a slightly larger version. Call and ask.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1470757165|4063884 said:
Thanks for taking your time to find the 2 settings! I like the first one but it can only be set with 0.75 - 1.25.

Call JA and ask if it will fit your stone. They may be able to make a slightly larger version. Call and ask.

Oh, gosh, I was about to say the listing says that it can be custom made for any size stone with revised pricing, but this ring is an insane $2440 in platinum!!! Please eliminate that!

I like the Tiffany ring. It is a reasonable $1330 in platinum. I would be sure you know what kind of solitaire she likes, because I definitely have preferences in solitaire setting styles.

Aside from these, I would go with the Jovyn solitaire available directly through Caysie van Bebber. You will need to check on platinum price, but I like this one better than the JA Tiffany if you are open to sending the stone to be set elsewhere. The shank is not as wide.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/230453061/the-cvb-id-jovyn-classic-six-prong?ref=shop_home_active_16

cvbtifknifeedge1.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$2440 is crazy...Danhov plat is definitely overpriced! Ritani and Vatche have plenty of plat in the $1200ish price range. No reason
to overpay.

Fiestababy

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1470762867|4063915 said:
tyty333|1470757165|4063884 said:

Oh, gosh, I was about to say the listing says that it can be custom made for any size stone with revised pricing, but this ring is an insane $2440 in platinum!!! Please eliminate that!

Wow! Thank you for pointing out the price in platinum. That's definitely overpriced compares to the other ones I'm looking at! I will definitely check out other websites for something similar.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results