shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help to critique this diamond (Pink FCD)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also like the first round the best overall.
Totally subjective, but I just prefer what to my eyes appears to be a cleaner color.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
May I ask if you have input from the special lady on her preferences? Because if this was for me and I could choose between a .25 pink diamond or a 1.0-1.5 ct. white diamond for $18,000, there just wouldn't be any deliberating for me to do. I'd rather have a pink sapphire right hand ring or even a pink sapphire engagement ring that was larger than .25. I appreciate fancy pink diamonds, but I'd rather have a larger diamond for the money.

The only one posted that I really liked was the first one. And if you are telling me it is $70,000+, then I would have to say I wouldn't even consider it. You could buy 10 one carat diamonds for that amount.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Alright, seems quite settled. It will come down to a visual inspection. Good thing is, I've been obsessively looking at gems for a long time (and I am wont to go into strange new hobbies) so it hasn't really set her off. It seems the langermann ones are too vivid to her tastes (she doesn't like the Argyle Aphrodite stone for example)

@Diamondseeker - the pref would have been a nice princess I believe, around 0.7ct would be optimal due to the small size of the shape, D and eyeclean vvs2-vs1. If it were colourless. Colour never entered her frame of reference. Tiny fingers so it isn't a matter of how large a size. Even a 1ct looks comically large on her hands (a 1ct would look like a 2ct from a distance). It is all relative I guess.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
TristanC|1308962160|2954458 said:
Alright, seems quite settled. It will come down to a visual inspection. Good thing is, I've been obsessively looking at gems for a long time (and I am wont to go into strange new hobbies) so it hasn't really set her off. It seems the langermann ones are too vivid to her tastes (she doesn't like the Argyle Aphrodite stone for example)

@Diamondseeker - the pref would have been a nice princess I believe, around 0.7ct would be optimal due to the small size of the shape, D and eyeclean vvs2-vs1. If it were colourless. Colour never entered her frame of reference. Tiny fingers so it isn't a matter of how large a size. Even a 1ct looks comically large on her hands (a 1ct would look like a 2ct from a distance). It is all relative I guess.

does she think so? I would just make sure :) we have many ladies on PS with small fingers who wear more substantial rings!

also any vvs2-vs1 will be eyeclean :)

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1308956392|2954373 said:
May I ask if you have input from the special lady on her preferences? Because if this was for me and I could choose between a .25 pink diamond or a 1.0-1.5 ct. white diamond for $18,000, there just wouldn't be any deliberating for me to do. I'd rather have a pink sapphire right hand ring or even a pink sapphire engagement ring that was larger than .25. I appreciate fancy pink diamonds, but I'd rather have a larger diamond for the money.

The only one posted that I really liked was the first one. And if you are telling me it is $70,000+, then I would have to say I wouldn't even consider it. You could buy 10 one carat diamonds for that amount.

You bring up a good point that had not occurred to me, since I'm a lover of small FCDs.
I suspect most women would rather get, for the same budget, a colorless diamond than a nice FCD that is 1/4 the weight or less.

I think I'll start a poll.

E B

Ideal_Rock

If you don't mind my asking, what made you decide to choose a pink diamond? Have you considered a .75 ct white center with pink diamond side stones? You'd save some serious $$$.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, if her preference would be a .7 D VVS-VS princess cut, then that is what I'd be searching for! You are right that size is relative. I am imagining that you are in a country other than the US.

A princess diameter is less than the diameter of a round, so .8 is not as big as it sounds. Here is an ideal cut E VS1:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2594770.htm

(this diamond measures 5.18mm in diameter while a .5 ct. round is about that diameter)

slg47

Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1308968706|2954555 said:

Well, if her preference would be a .7 D VVS-VS princess cut, then that is what I'd be searching for! You are right that size is relative. I am imagining that you are in a country other than the US.

A princess diameter is less than the diameter of a round, so .8 is not as big as it sounds. Here is an ideal cut E VS1:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut-loose-diamond-2594770.htm

(this diamond measures 5.18mm in diameter while a .5 ct. round is about that diameter)

yes it is true that the edge to edge of a princess is smaller than a round but the overall area is larger.

square%20circle_0.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just pointing out that a 5mm diamond isn't large by most standards whether it is round or princess. :))

That would show how a .85 princess has a larger area overall than a .5 round at the same diameter, but what would be interesting is to see a .85 round imposed on top of the same picture. But that would be best for another thread, probably.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium

may i ask, is this your preference (if you were shopping for a traditional diamond), or is this her preference? if it is her preference, it is quite specific... which leads me to believe your lady may have her heart set on it and not love something else as you might be hoping she would. of course, you know her best. i can see you are trying to do something very special and unique to express how special and unique she is to you... i am just playing devil's advocate questioning that what you see as expressing that to her will be received as such by her. maybe she doesn't know she'd love a smaller pink diamond until she has one, or maybe she'd wonder why you disregarded her preference in favor of something that was your preference. either way, it appears you have exceptional taste and will choose well!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1308962862|2954468 said:
diamondseeker2006|1308956392|2954373 said:

You bring up a good point that had not occurred to me, since I'm a lover of small FCDs.
I suspect most women would rather get, for the same budget, a colorless diamond than a nice FCD that is 1/4 the weight or less.

I think I'll start a poll.

The poll results:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/larger-white-diamond-or-much-smaller-pink.162454/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/larger-white-diamond-or-much-smaller-pink.162454/[/URL]

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be fair though Tristan and his lady are not who the poll was asking about.
The poll asked about what people thought the majority of gals would prefer.

Even if the poll results were a Trillion to zero, Tristan and his gal are not the majority.
They are individuals.
He knows her; he's about to propose.
(BTW, the poll results was no surprise to me at all; I totally get that few people get FCDs, and I also voted for the white)
Also the poll was for a 0.20 ct pink; Tristan is looking at 0.50 ct pinks.

Tristan has now heard the perspective of the poll results, but if he still feels surprising her with a pink (which will be much smaller than a white for the same budget) is what will make her heart sing I feel we should respect this.

I'm an FCD lover.
I'm on a mission to spread FCD awareness but in this case after mentioning the poll results, it's entirely up to him.
Also let's not forget that although an ering is for HER it is also from HIM.
He's already said he does not like halos and wants something subtle.
Should we force him to get a halo if the majority of women prefer them?
His style may be to offer something unique and not what the majority understands.

I recently spent the price of a new Lexus on a 10-point red diamond.
I can totally understand the appeal of putting it into an ering and offering it as a symbol of my unique and special love to a unique and special person.
The world be dammed!
That nobody understands that this little red dot was more expensive than many white honkers ADDS to the appeal IMHO.
That'y my personality.
I can also understand how a few people love a smaller D IF; it's value is more quiet and secret and that can be a reflection of the personalities of the couple.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
kenny|1309021046|2954830 said:
To be fair though Tristan and his lady are not who the poll was asking about.
The poll asked about what people thought the majority of gals would prefer.

Even if the poll results were a Trillion to zero, Tristan and his gal are not the majority.
They are individuals.
He knows her; he's about to propose.
(BTW, the poll results was no surprise to me at all; I totally get that few people get FCDs)

Tristan has now heard the perspective of the poll results, but if he still feels surprising her with a pink (which will be much smaller than a white for the same budget) is what will make her heart sing I feel we should respect this.

I'm an FCD lover.
I'm on a mission to spread FCD awareness but in this case after mentioning the poll results, it's entirely up to him.
Also let's not forget that although an ering is for HER it is also from HIM.
He's already said he does not like halos and wants something subtle.
Should we force him to get a halo if the majority of women prefer them?
His style may be to offer something unique and not what the majority understands.

I recently spent the price of a new Lexus on a 10-point red diamond.
I can totally understand the appeal of putting it into an ering and offering it as a symbol of my unique and special love to a unique and special person.
The world be dammed!
That nobody understands that this little red dot was more expensive than many white honkers ADDS to the appeal IMHO.
That'y my personality.
I can also understand how a few people love a smaller D IF; it's value is more quiet and secret and that can be a reflection of the personalities of the couple.

People vary.
If Tristan wants to give her a pink that's much smaller than a white he could afford he knows her better than we do.

I totally agree! but we see some guys on PS (not accusing the OP) who do not take their GFs preferences into account while shopping, so I think us ladies just wanted to make sure that the OP did that!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
slg47|1309021529|2954837 said:
I totally agree! but we see some guys on PS (not accusing the OP) who do not take their GFs preferences into account while shopping, so I think us ladies just wanted to make sure that the OP did that!

Excellent point Sig.
I'm glad Tristan is hearing from the ladies on this important point.
He's gotten eye-opening feedback in this thread.

Perhaps it would be wise to consider that a return may be in order after the proposal and discuss this NOW with the FCD vendor and have them set the pink.
I'm sure you would not get a 100% refund.
They deserve to be paid something for the labor of making the ring then removing the diamond and scrapping the metal.
If the vendor refuses perhaps part of the deal could be they could source the white diamond for you too.

Better yet, considering how unconventional a pink is for an ering, I'd forego the surprise factor and ask her which she'd prefer - larger white or smaller pink - or perhaps a large yellow. :naughty:
Yellows are lovely but much larger than pinks for the same budget.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Big ditto on asking HER what she wants. But it sounded like she wanted a princess under a carat. So that is why I suggested he might want to consider what she would like over what he would like.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the interesting poll! Certainly in such a large purchase, there are many factors to think about and it is good to take on all sides. I'm really thankful for all the posts - it would be sad to have proceeded without considering the myriad outcomes that could have resulted. In THAT poll though, I too would have went with the 1ct. Personally I do feel 0.2 is just too small to be visible.

The more specific poll would have been a question of:
0.75ct D, VS1-VVS2, Excellent cut Princess (her favorite shape)
OR
0.5 ct round pink, beautiful fancy pastel shade without undesirable modifiers with at least a G/G cut. (her favorite colour - but would NEVER have asked for pink diamond, they cost far far too much... do you see where this is coming from now? :Up_to_something:)

Unfortunately a 0.75ct princess pink (nice pink) is way off budget. Size notwithstanding, FCDs charge per ct/w and half again as much weight with less or equivalent size impact would be impossible in this case due to budget. That and the fact that as rare as FCD rounds are - princesses are virtually extinct outside of brown and yellows.

Neither option presented above are requests, just an understanding of various preferences over a long time. Same as how I'm certain smaller than 1ct is good, and no Halos are preferred etc. Honestly though, I would be extremely uncomfortable sharing a life with someone who would state specific conditional requests for an e-ring; unless they were asked directly to have the input because the guy was uncomfortable doing it alone, OR has been proven in the past to have no idea of the girls preferences and tastes. Of course, from a girls perspective, I must know that my partner has taken on board the things that I like in making his decision as well. If it were up to me entirely without taking her into account, it would have been a small pear shaped green diamond! :love: or a honking F coloured solasfera brilliant.

I see many, many gorgeous non diamond e-rings on pricescope, some with gems only costing $200-300, and I never fail to think how lucky the guy is to be with someone so happy to celebrate her proposal ring and share how special her ring is; and how absolutely beautiful she finds it, even though the total price tag is extremely modest.

I would have been equally confident presenting a really beautiful spinel, or a lab grown blue, or a neon paraiba for example. There would be no 'devastation', just a question of the significance behind the choice. (Ok, a smoky quartz or rutilated quartz ring might not have gone down well :D, but she would definitely still say yes - and then grumbled a bit for perhaps oh... 15 years, give or take 5 decades)

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Oh and thanks to everyone for taking the last 2 langermanns out of the equation - I put that down to momentary panic. She doesn't like the colour.

I was staring at them on screen and she strolled past and said they were ugly and not pink! No suspicions yet... I get very engrossed in the strangest topics.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
OR
0.5 ct round pink, beautiful fancy pastel shade without undesirable modifiers with at least a G/G cut. (her favorite colour - but would NEVER have asked for pink diamond, they cost far far too much... do you see where this is coming from now? :Up_to_something:)

do you think she would be OK with you spending that kind of $$ on an ering? just something to consider...

another option would be to get pink surprise stones/side stones, or a pink diamond wedding band?

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TristanC|1309055708|2955158 said:
Thanks for the interesting poll! Certainly in such a large purchase, there are many factors to think about and it is good to take on all sides. I'm really thankful for all the posts - it would be sad to have proceeded without considering the myriad outcomes that could have resulted. In THAT poll though, I too would have went with the 1ct. Personally I do feel 0.2 is just too small to be visible.

OR
0.5 ct round pink, beautiful fancy pastel shade without undesirable modifiers with at least a G/G cut.

Such a Princess will be under $5,000, while a nice GIA-graded natural half-carat pink with no brown will cost 5 to 15 times that.
I guess I should not have assumed the two options you are considering could be so different in price.

So, will you ask her if she prefers pink or a white? Have you? What did she say?
Or is your intention to surprise her?
Not to pressure you either way.
Just curious.
Even though the poll was for same-priced diamonds with a size ratio of 5 to 1 lots of women voiced that an ering diamond should be white.

Is your plan: in white you'd spend $4500 but in a pink your budget would be 5 to 15 times that?
Wanting to keep the size between 1/2 and 3/4 ct is completely understandable.

I'm nosey because I'm curious about how people perceive of FCDs.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tristan, I am very glad to hear that your primary concern is pleasing her rather than buying something that primarily pleases you. I appreciate the fact that the woman should always appreciate a gift regardless of whether she had input or not. But I have the greatest hope for a marriage working out when I see the man's only desire is to please the woman he loves buy giving her what SHE would want the most within his budget.

I think if the poll were redone, most girls would still choose a larger white D VVS stone over a half carat pink stone that cost 5 to 15 times as much. I would be upset if my husband spent that much on a ring! Although I don't think I'd ever have to worry about such a thing! (If you are wealthy enough to spend $50,000 on a diamond, I am in a quandry as to why you think a .75 ct. stone is the maximum she could wear unless you live in an area where it is unsafe to wear jewelry of value or there are no other women with diamonds over .75. But I realize that is a question that is not really my concern.) I also appreciate the fact that you don't care for halos, but it is also true that small white diamonds surrounding a pale colored stone will enhance the color making it more apparent. A round pink diamond with two white diamonds on the side would be complimentary as well if you'd like that better than a halo. If you had a .50 center stone, you could put .30 white diamonds on each side. I am not surprised that she didn't like those purply-pink stones since almost everyone here preferred the first baby pink stone you posted.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1309122781|2955571 said:
If you are wealthy enough to spend $50,000 on a diamond, I am in a quandry as to why you think a .75 ct. stone is the maximum she could wear unless you live in an area where it is unsafe to wear jewelry of value or there are no other women with diamonds over .75.

It's not what it's worth.
It's what is appears to be worth to the FCD-uninformed public.

Virtually nobody is likely recognize a half-carat $50,000 pink diamond as being either a diamond or being worth that much.
Except on Pricescope few people have seen a pic of one and are certainly not expecting to see one in person, outside a couple communities like the more exclusive parts of Beverly Hills or Manhattan or the Oscars catwalk.
In the rest of the world a $50,000 white diamond will attract a zillion times more attention to the woman, perhaps unwanted and dangerous attention.

Ironically wearing a 1/2-carat $250,000 Fancy Red diamond may make you less of a crime target than wearing a typical $10,000 white diamond.

In this sense FCDs are more discrete than white diamonds.
This can appeal to a person who wants something of high value that is not showy.
Sure, it's possible you may run into a GG or a jeweler who recognizes it but among the public it may as well be glass.
I like that.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1309127009|2955604 said:
diamondseeker2006|1309122781|2955571 said:
If you are wealthy enough to spend $50,000 on a diamond, I am in a quandry as to why you think a .75 ct. stone is the maximum she could wear unless you live in an area where it is unsafe to wear jewelry of value or there are no other women with diamonds over .75.

It's not what it's worth.
It's what is appears to be worth to the FCD-uninformed public.

Virtually nobody is likely recognize a half-carat $50,000 pink diamond as being either a diamond or being worth that much.
Except on Pricescope few people have seen a pic of one and are certainly not expecting to see one in person, outside a couple communities like the more exclusive parts of Beverly Hills or Manhattan or the Oscars catwalk.
In the rest of the world a $50,000 white diamond will attract a zillion times more attention to the woman, perhaps unwanted and dangerous attention.

Ironically wearing a 1/2-carat $250,000 Fancy Red diamond may make you less of a crime target than wearing a typical $10,000 white diamond.

In this sense FCDs are more discrete than white diamonds.
This can appeal to a person who wants something of high value that is not showy.
Sure, it's possible you may run into a GG or a jeweler who recognizes it but among the public it may as well be glass.
I like that.

Kenny, I agree with what you have written but that really wasn't my point. My point was that if he was in wealthy circles, a white diamond of .75 isn't going to exactly attract attention, either. I don't feel like I am in danger with a 1.6 ct. diamond or I wouldn't wear it. I just think it is interesting that someone who has the means to buy a very expensive diamond would only go to .75 cts. in a white diamond. But I am sure there are countries where diamonds are rarely worn and perhaps it would be dangerous to wear one. I was just trying to think of a situation where one couldn't wear a diamond over .75 cts. I wasn't suggesting that he spend $50k on a white diamond!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apparently he wants the size to be between 0.5 and 0.75.
I find that to be completely understandable since most of the public's perception is based on size only.
They are ignorant of FCD prices.

The price for that size can be as low as $1,000ish for a white and as high as $600,000ish for a pure red.

I think it is okay to want to remain 0.5 ct to 0.75 ct even if you have $600,000 in your pocket and give her a white if she wants it or a red if she wants it.
To some people it may be about size and what color she wants.
Price may be irrelevant to some people.

That's not my criteria or the criteria of most people, but people vary.

lbling

Rough_Rock
I am a big pear fan and pink is my favourite colour but I must say I would much prefer to get the first stone than all the others. I think it just has that beautiful femininity about it. It has a little magic and the subtle shade of pink is so delicate. I would love to get a pink diamond that colour.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
A big thanks to everyone for still chipping in, I love the discussion taking different aspects as it helps round out my own views and puts things up for serious consideration. I am leaning 80% towards choice A - 0.53ct baby pink, just that the purchase is still very expensive and I'm still thinking around it.

Frankly, I'm not moving in wealthy circles, and the diamond being pink is more a reflection of the fact that a) she adores the colour, but more in a "pink diamonds are really pretty" way without actually ever expecting to receive one and b) my own personal desires to completely exceed her expectations without being asked. If she had Asked for a pink diamond, she would have received a spinel and been told to earn the money to buy her own pink upgrade if she so desires.

Doing without being asked, and not expecting anything but appreciating everything is a cornerstone that we try to continually maintain in our relationship. Its certainly not easy, but at least we try. We always have reasonable expectations, but we keep it to non material things.

I'll chip in on the size too - we are of an age where people are progressing into marriage and she has seen a number of largish rings (and I only mean 1-1.5ct, asians are smaller in stature so size is really relative. Dress size is P0 or xxs for example), and it never sat well with her. She feels they are unattractive as they are too big. I actually agree in this case.

Where we live, you can walk down the streets with a 8ct brilliant on your hand and a 200ctw necklace around your neck and you wouldn't give a second thought about personal safety. The size constraint thing is just that we do not enjoy flaunting money (not that we even have a lot of it relative to the rich here) and we have no issues with a personal statement and would not care what other people think of the size of the diamond - so long as it is at least visible (0.3-0.7, preference on the larger end of this spectrum whilst remaining tasteful).

I personally love discreet consumption where branding and ostentation are not openly shown. So preference would be a limited edition gucci with no monograms and a unique design at 2times the price of their signature line with patterned monograms that everyone can identify immediately.

I must admit my mindset is perhaps a little strange. I actually enjoy the fact that most people will have no mental impression of the price of that little pink stone. And that yes, to most it might as well be coloured glass for the fact that they've never seen one before. Ultimately, luxury is more enjoyable if it is purchased for private enjoyment, rather than for public appreciation. I hope that my dear lady would love and adore the little pink if I do buy it, and that would be all that really matters as she's the only one that I set out to please.

But I will admit that on those extremely rare occasions, when someone steps up and asks "oh dear lord is that a pink diamond?" we would be glowingly happy indeed. :D

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I totally understand and, while far from the norm, share many of the sentiments you have expressed.

I buy designer clothes at the thrift store and use a seam ripper to removed the stupid polo player, or other unpaid advertising, before wearing them.
I love quality but abhor status symbols.
My self image is based on who I am and what I do, not what I own.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
@Diamondseeker - thanks so much for your thoughts! Its good to not be trapped exclusively in my own frame of reference. Yes, a larger stone can definitely be worn safely, but we are not socialites and we don't want something huge (ring size 4-4.5 for reference) to be there all the time. It is just too showy. A 0.5 can be an everyday stone that she can gaze at on days that I'm in her good books, and she can glare it on the... other days.

@Ibling and everyone above - Yes, I think the baby pink is lovely and is my first choice. Now just need to see the real life comparisons between that one and the slightly salmon colour of the second.

@Kenny - On that remark about nobody knowing, and that it might as well be glass? You nailed it. I love that angle a lot. Yes the plan would be a smaller $ spent on a 0.75 princess OR the pink. But if it were 0.75 and colourless, it would be D/E and VS1 or VVS2, then a ridiculously well cut princess, perhaps a hand made McTigue or Canera setting, so price would be higher than 4.5K. Obviously with the pink it will be more simple due to overstrained budgets, but it will still be well made and simply set.

@Someone on the Halo - the only thing I appreciate about Halos is that it helps accentuate the pink of the stone. Not the size. So in that regard, I'll speak with the setter, but the preference would still be a simple setting and letting the little baby pink stone shine on its own, as well as it can manage.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
kenny|1309141241|2955831 said:
I totally understand and, while far from the norm, share many of the sentiments you have expressed.

I buy designer clothes at the thrift store and use a seam ripper to removed the stupid polo player, or other unpaid advertising, before wearing them.

Well i don't go THAT far... :) but I do pick those with smaller polo players. I don't like the ones with the polo players the size of your entire hand and a number the size of a small cantaloupe on your sleeve etc etc. 1inch by 0.5inch of free advertising I can cope with :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results