shape
carat
color
clarity

My custom WhiteFlash surprise diamond ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Still in design, but I wanted to share the CADs with you all.
9.gif

A little background story...I first posted in RockyTalky because I had found the perfect surprise diamond setting at Costco, but I really wasn''t sure about the quality of the diamond. It looked very pretty and sparkly, and IGI certified it as I/VVS1 (the color concerned me since it might have been a J-K, but I figured the IGI VVS1 bought me at least a GIA VS2). It seems the people around here were split 50/50 on whether I should keep it or go for WF, since the diamond in the Costco ring was certainly very nice, and it was a decent deal for the money. After an agonizing week, the BF and I decided to take it back to Costco and try our luck with WF, since we kept hearing wonderful things about the ACA diamonds.

We chose this one, a 1.016 I VVS2 ACA Princess. Bob has been wonderful at answering all of our annoying questions, and he even let us put down a small deposit to start the design process and then wire the full amount after the CADs came in.

In the end, the BF ended up paying about $1600 more (the custom setting alone was $1750), so I really hope the real thing ends up being worth it!
25.gif

CAD0509b.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Some more pics...

CAD0509a-small.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks wonderful!!! And truthfully, I think you''ll be getting at least $1600 worth in higher quality between this diamond and the setting!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Wow - VERY different and creative! LOVE it!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I like the design, it''s very unique!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s going to be beautiful!!!! I can''t wait to see how it turns out!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
very cool! i will be looking forward to seeing this finished!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s going to be a stunner! Very elegant!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think its absolutely lovely!
36.gif

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, no need to worry! It was a great choice.

I doubt you''ll be disappointed with your decision to return the Costco ring.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it!

Your boyfriend posts on another forum I frequent, so that''s how I found this thread. I''ll be going down to WF next weekend, so if you want me to check it out for you both, I''ll be happy to give it an in-person once over. ;-)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool, gorgeous!!!
30.gif
30.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Looks like this will be great! I tried to re-read your old thread, but I''m not clear what was wrong with the Costco ring? Did you think the cut was off?

I know WF will steer you right - it will be beautious!!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to all of you for your encouragement! Omieluv, I think the uniqueness of the design has a lot to do with the size, shape, and position of the surprise diamonds. They are 5 points each for a total of 0.10ctw, which is bigger than most surprise diamonds. Most rings use round surprise diamonds even with princess cut center stones, but I like how consistent this one is. Plus, the 45-degree tilt (so they look "diamond"-shaped rather than square) is a nice touch.

Lauren, I definitely remember some PM conversations with you on said forum! You helped us out a lot in our search. Do check it out if they let you. I''m guessing you probably need my BF''s real name to drop, so he can probably PM it to you on the other forum.

Date: 5/10/2007 11:18:04 PM
Author: starryeyed
Looks like this will be great! I tried to re-read your old thread, but I''m not clear what was wrong with the Costco ring? Did you think the cut was off?

Believe me, I agonized over this decision and had a lot of trouble giving it up!!! It''s hard when you have a nice diamond right there in your hands.

Yes, my concern was mostly about the cut, and also that the IGI cert didn''t guarantee good enough specs for me. After all the wonderful things I had heard about ideal cut diamonds, how cut is king of the 4 Cs, etc., I was convinced that I should get the best cut that I could find. I just didn''t want to end up regretting it down the line if I didn''t. While the Costco one was quite beautiful, a good deal for the money, and by no means cut poorly, it wasn''t ideal. We thought we could do better within our budget.

As for specs, I wanted at least an I/VS2 to be mind-clean, and while the clarity was probably OK, I wasn''t entirely sure about the color. I''ve heard IGI gradings can be 1-2 grades below GIA, and I''d rather have more reliable info about my diamond.

OK, so here''s a question for those of you who made it this far through my very wordy post. What do you all think about a wedding band for this ring? I''ve been going back and forth about whether I want one or not, but leaning toward none because I don''t want to add anything to obscure this design. However, I''m also considering a plain 2mm band like this one. The shank on my ring will be 2.3mm, so I think a 2mm band might look good...

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe you could get whiteflash to make a matching band. The one you posted is more rounded than the shank on your ring. It may not be a problem but for me I would want something that is more or less the same shape.
1.gif

togal

Shiny_Rock
I love that shank. Very simple, very elegant. I''m sure it will show off your centre stone beautifully.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OOOOOOO, i just LOVE that design!!! just beautiful! achieves everything a ering should, without being over the top. i also have a princess and have lately been on the hunt for a new setting, and it is difficult to find one (for a princess) that has all the elements yours does - simple, feminine, keeps the diamond center stage but still manages to interesting and beautiful itself. i can''t wait to see pics when it is done, and i hope you enjoy it!!!

just a thought: your ering appears to be so sweet and simple, without a band it may appear you are perpetually engaged. if you decide to go with a band, i would echo maisie: having wf make it while they have your ering so it is a perfect compliment would be the way to go for me. then you can be assured nothing will spoil the elegance of your ering, such as an off-height or different edge finish. and because you are questioning having a band at all, a 2mm sounds perfect....that''s what i originally wanted to go with my solitaire (it was so simple anything i put next to it seemed to swallow it) but my jeweler talked me out of it and into a 4mm!!! said i wouldn''t look married without a band larger than the ering. i listened, and now 6 years later have found this forum with plenty of other women who appreciate the look of a thin band. i wish i had trusted my own esthetic......which is what you should do too. if your heart says no ring, no ring it is. you can always get one later........
31.gif

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/11/2007 2:03:51 PM
Author: Maisie
Maybe you could get whiteflash to make a matching band. The one you posted is more rounded than the shank on your ring. It may not be a problem but for me I would want something that is more or less the same shape.
1.gif

Good point - the shank on my ring is square with a slightly rounded top, so a half-round wedding band wouldn''t complement it well. I do like the price of the BN ring though! Hopefully it shouldn''t be too expensive from WF, given that it would just be a plain platinum band.

Thanks for the advice, rainydaze! The nice thing about this design it that it doesn''t appear difficult to duplicate, so if you wanted to use it as your new setting, I''m sure most jewelers could make it.

MWG

Brilliant_Rock
Super gorgeous!!!!! You cant go wrong with ACA from Whiteflash.

Congratulations
MWG

kathyinjapan

Shiny_Rock
wow! that''s a really unique setting

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
bumpity bump...Lauren, did you happen to see it this weekend?

Today was the "expected" date that it would be finished, but no pics from WF yet. Sigh...

What are "surprise" diamonds and where are they located on the ring? I only see the center stone and a smaller princess cut on the front of the center stone. What am I missing? by the way, very creative setting! i like!

Thanks

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
Surprise diamonds are the ones on the sides, just below the center stone

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is going to be gorgeous! I cannot wait to see the finished ring!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
The pics are here, and it looks great!!!

Hopefully that means the ring will be coming tomorrow...? FedEx ships on Saturdays, right?

The proposal arrived along with the pics today, so I''m officially engaged! And here I thought I''d have to wait for a proposal while the ring sat at home for a while.
3.gif

surprise-diamond-ring-actual.jpg

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
36.gif
!!!! That ring is so classy. Remember more pics when you get it!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
The finished ring looks great!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It turned out beautifully! Hope you have some handshots soon!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Woohoo, it''s shipped, and should be in my hot little hands by tomorrow!

That is, barring any unforeseen problems with my patients that might keep me at work past 4ish (FedEx closes at 4:30 on Saturdays here)...

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks fantastic!!! What a beauty. Can''t wait to see more.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results