shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help! T- minus 20 days!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking from a girl''s point of view, most of us would take the bigger stone if given the option.
2.gif

But whatever you pick I am sure she will love it!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/16/2009 12:03:19 PM
Author: bongolover
H&A Scope

Hearts:
What I would call " near h&a" not h&a but if it isn''t sold as h&a then no problem.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/16/2009 1:15:13 PM
Additional IdealScope Image
Definitely showing obstruction.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/16/2009 12:00:01 PM
1.7 G SI1
This one has an excellent IS image.

bongolover

Rough_Rock
Do you think the 1.7 G SI1 idealscope image is reflective of the GIA report? It was pointed out that the idealscope image did not show the inclusions/characteristics that are noted on the clarity plot. I found it a bit odd, but haven''t seen enough of them to be able to really confirm either way. Report attached for viewing.

Bigger is good Laila! :) It is a great image Lorelei, and that is why I struggle with the two. hehe... I think I''m getting closer to the decision. Just wanted to clarify before heading down the StoneCold road...

Really excited and nervous at the same time!

GIA cert 1.7 G SI1 JA.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
the 1.7 is a clear winner to me.

The 1.8 H VS2 has obstruction issues that will likely be visible real world.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am shocked that the 1.8 managed to get ags0.
interesting.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bongo, my theory is that when it''s the right stone, you know. Perhaps neither is the one? Maybe you can keep looking, James Allen has tons of nice stones in that carat range. Or what about the one from the local jeweler that you found? I suspect that the surface graining and inclusions are definitely bothering you with the 1.7 carat G.

bongolover

Rough_Rock
I went ahead and requested another picture to see it on the setting. :)

bongolover

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

I talked to a gemologist at the AGS this morning and she mentioned that the diamond was graded AGS 0 for light return and was given an overall AGS 1 due to a minor issue with symmetry. She reassured that given the AGS0 rating and the review of the diamond image on file, there could not be head obstruction. I wondered if the pictures are just not doing the stone justice.

Laila, the surface graining is one concern, but the reflection due to the inclusions/characteristics on the 1.7 G SI1 is what''s holding me back. Call me John Kerry, but I have been on the fence until this late this morning.

I think I have reviewed the options out there and feel like this journey can definitely be prolonged. Then again, I would never make a decision! My relative thinks that I am having too much fun with the process! lol...maybe I am!

I felt comfortable with the 1.8 after talking with AGS and working with UD on it. I think I just need to see it in person and rely on the return process if need be. Just hope that it won''t be too troublesome to readjust the crown head setting should there be any issues.

Even on the setting, does the obstruction appear that apparent? I looked up pictures of diamonds classified as American Ideal Cut, and it looks to have some head obstruction as well. Thanks for the additional feedback.

bongolover

Rough_Rock
Btw- Thanks for the feedback Karl! I am going to talk to the gemologist at JA again before finalizing my decision early this afternoon.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that looks great! Are you comfortable with the possible ''obstruction'' issues? I don''t see anything in the pic, it looks pretty!

But yes, I agree, people could be hunting for the perfect stone for years, lol.

bongolover

Rough_Rock
Yes, the people at UD says it is not a concern and the pictures in the setting look great. I just probably need to see it in person and go from there. Only so much you can see in pictures I suppose.. although the saying "a picture is a thousand words." :razz: Haha.. too bad I am not one to head to the mall and just pick up the first shiny stone that I see! Thanks Laila!

1.8 H VS2 Tiff Set3.jpg

bongolover

Rough_Rock
Is the red in the last diamond picture reflecting the environment?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/17/2009 1:19:47 PM
Is the red in the last diamond picture reflecting the environment?
Yes.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
clear obstruction from the crown bezels in all the pictures.

bongolover

Rough_Rock
I pulled the trigger! You''re like.. Finally! Right? hehe..

I decided on the 1.7 G SI1 from JA at the end of the day. After going back and forth, I reviewed this forum discussion again and my initial notes.

I was reminded that my goal was to try to get a diamond with the best possible cut with carat, color (GH), and clarity following suit in that priority. If I were honest with myself, I think I kept thinking that the 1.8 H VS2 had a better cut due to the HCA advisor (.6 Excellent). It also had better clarity (VS2) and carat (smaller table though). I forget that HCA is a weeding out tool and once under 2 Excellent, then I should review the other characteristics like symmetry.

The potential for the 1.8 H VS2 was there. But the idealscope image for the 1.7 G SI1 did look too good to pass up. The 5th C (cost) factor also came into play with a 1k premium on the VS2 for the 1.8 diamond and a degrade in color (H). It will be the right diamond for someone else though! Just need to verify the head obstruction concern!

The diamond will be in next week so I''ll examine, get it appraised, and post some pictures. Many thanks to everyone for your insight and guidance. It is a once in a lifetime purchase and I hope it came out right.

Representatives at both venders (JA and Union Diamonds) were great to work with. Excellent service, quick responses, and flexibility were displayed. Darryl with UD sent me so many pictures and was very understanding of my decision to see the 1.7 G SI1 first. Wish I could have bought both and put them side to side. That would have made things easier! Have a good one!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats. :)

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good job! Any girl would be thrilled to receive 1.7 carats! Most girls only get that after being married 25 years.

bongolover

Rough_Rock
The diamond came in today and it is stunning! Brillant and very beautiful. I did have an opportunity to put it next to another 1.7 G SI1 locally and had a quick question. The two are identical in almost every aspect.

Measurements:

JA - 7.66x7.70x4.71
Local - 7.60x7.65x4.70

Same table with slightly different crown/pavilion angles. My question is that side by side, the local diamond shined with more intensity and had a slight whiter color; however, under the ideal scope image, the JA diamond has clear hearts and arrows where as the local diamond struggled greatly (Arrows ran short and hearts were hardly there).

It just contradicts what I have learned over the last two months. I figured that the hearts and arrows would be indicative of a better diamond, especially one that does not have a good idealscope image.

In this case, does the long feather running along edge the local diamond''s table play a huge factor? The inclusions on the JA diamond is actually dark as well.

lol... I knew I could find a way to prolong the process! Just curious since it is the first time with access to side by side comparisons and applying what I have learned and read.

GIA cert 1.7 G SI1 MT.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
What kind of lighting conditions are you viewing it? Go to as many different conditions are you can think of.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you really liked the James Allen one and thought it was pretty, why are you shopping around for a different one? You could drive yourself nuts trying to do that!
41.gif

30yearsofdiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I would like all on this thread to know including the buyer. Surface grain lines do not have any affect on the polish, at any lab. And with diamonds other then Flawless it has no affect on clarity. So hopefully if you are not eliminating this stone because of previous info on surface grain lines. I am extremely familiar with GIA in- house grading and what every category really means.

bongolover

Rough_Rock
Well Laila, I really didn''t want to, but the local buyer had the new diamond just come in and asked if I wanted to do a side by side comparison. Since we have also had discussions throughout the process, I figured to give it a go and said that it was the end of the road. So I brought my cousin and his wife who has bought from the local jeweler before.

To clarify, the diamonds were examined in the same lighting conditions at the store. My question really was around the idealscope tool. The jeweler had the idealloupe and when I examined both under the scope, it was apparent the JA diamond was the one with the better hearts and arrows image.

The puzzling aspect that I could not get myself wrapped around was that the diamond that did not have the hearts and arrows image defined appeared to be the better performing diamond. This was agreed by all four people blindly examining both side by side, via loupe, and in the idealscope loupe. Since we base a lot of our PS purchases on the idealscope images, I wanted to see if there would be an explanation for this trivial comparison.

At the end of the day, I think the PS community would encourage the buyer to purchase the stone that "speaks" to them or looks best in their eyes. For members that would not be able to compare with any other stone or choose not to, would they be missing a step in the due diligence process?

Both stones have surface graining, so I think that point is moot.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
what were the angles of the local stone?
Even with well cut diamonds some are brighter than others.
That particular combo is tuned towards fire slightly over max brightness.
The goal of PS is well balanced diamonds, in one lighting a not as well cut diamond might win but in a variety of lighting the better cut diamond should pull ahead overall.

bongolover

Rough_Rock
Measurements:

JA - 7.66x7.70x4.71

Table:57 Depth: 61.3 Crown: 34.5 Pavilion: 40.8 *Great Idealscope image

Local - 7.60x7.65x4.70

Table:57 Depth:61.6 Crown:35.5 Pavilion: 40.6 *Struggled with Idealscope image

Should IS image be 1:1 relationship with performance or are there additional external factors to be involved beyond hearts and arrows? I am merely trying to confirm what I have read & discussed and ultimately be able to reach a conclusion in real-life application.

Interesting point on the lighting Storm. I was relying on the fact that the store had optimal lighting for comparison. Thanks for the patience with my learning curve. Laila, you can put me in your spam folder! :X

Comes down to...

Trust eyes or Trust Idealscope

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. The local diamond has a steeper crown. I have read that diamonds with steep crowns tend to be more firey. Maybe that is why it looked like it performed better.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results