shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help! T- minus 20 days!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bongolover

Rough_Rock
Hi All! Thanks for the support and insight. New information from the JA in house graded gemologist. She mentions that the 1.7 G SI1 has surface graining and the characteristics/inclusions within the diamond are reflective (mirrored image; she did mention this diamond’s beautiful sparkle. Major concern!?

So now it may come down to waiting for the idealscope image for the 1.8 and this one below:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-SI1-Ideal-Cut-Round-Diamond-1260838.asp

She liked this one the best of the ones that were reviewed, but I have no idealscope image and no GIA report to base it on... yet. She said that the 1.78 a feather under the table and a cloud on the upper girdle facet, but it can be covered by a prong.

Love is patient.. so I guess I need to reevaluate the timeline and expectations! Better wait for the perfect one than to rush it right? I really appreciated their honesty and working with me through the process. Hope the 1.8 H SI1 or 1.78 H SI1 will turn out to be the one I want to present to her!

As always, your thoughts are welcomed!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't worry too much about the surface graining in the 1.7 ct. That idealscope image was just so good!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck. :)

bongolover

Rough_Rock
Thanks! This is just as hard as I thought it would be! lol! At least I know a little something about the shiny thingys that women love! :) Hope I can make the right decision tomorrow...

bongolover

Rough_Rock
So the surface graining doesn''t affect the diamond performance? Can one see that with your naked eye?

bongolover

Rough_Rock
I just received the idealscope image for the 1.8 H VS2. My assessment is that there isn''t too much light leakage, but there may be between the arrows within the table. What do you guys think? I''ll also include the hearts and arrow scope imanges.

Comparison vs. 1.7 G SI? I''ll repost the image for that one as well.

Thanks in advance!

1.8 H VS2 .6 HCA Union.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m definitely no expert, but they both look like they would be great stones.

bongolover

Rough_Rock
Actual Diamond Photo - You can see the Arrows clearly, but when you mount it, will it still show?

1.8 H VS2 Union Actual.jpg

bongolover

Rough_Rock
So it comes down to those two stones! The 1.7 G SI1 GIA Cert and the 1.8 H VS2 AGS Cert... The diamond measurements are needed today for the setting. Any additional thoughts?

I spoke to the gemologist who examined the 1.7 and she said that she didn''t like the window pane hazy look that the stone gave from the surface graining. It is only apparent under microscope though. Something about the inclusions are also reflective at 10:00 to 4:00?

Is it really a tossup?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks like some obstruction issue with the 1.8c, but that may be due to the slight tilt in the stone when the image is taken or placing the stone too close into the scope. Can you ask them to take the photo again just to be sure?

The Hearts and Arrows image looks good.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
surface graining, usually only at one facet, difficult to see unless you know where to find it, and will affect the final score of the polish grade

bongolover

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I''ve requested another idealscope image to be taken to verify. What''s an obstruction? Is it near the area around 7:00/8:00 where you cannot see the arrows very clear?

bongolover

Rough_Rock
Few more actual pictures!

1.8 H VS2 Black BG.jpg

bongolover

Rough_Rock
More idealscope images coming! So it looks better with the black background. The sparkle is there. Any concerns?

Looking at the diamond against the black background, there''s a little blue reflecting on the 6:00 arrow within the table. Is that normal?

1.8 H VS2 Union Actual 3.jpg

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is the stone going dark when you look at it closely. This is due to your head blocking the light source. This is show up as black in the Idealscope image. You can see the facet where the arrow heads are going black, compared to the IS from the 1.7c JA stone. Also, some of the facets beside the arrow shaft is going black too.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Probably reflecting off some color from the surrounding when the image is take.

bongolover

Rough_Rock
Additional IdealScope Image

1.8 H VS2 .6 HCA IdealScope.jpg

bongolover

Rough_Rock
Thanks Stone Cold, you are correct. It is not being sold as an H&A. Is the head obstruction a deal breaker? I''ve tried to do a pros & cons listing to help with the decision making.

1.7 G SI1

Pros -
*1.3 EX HCA Score
*Excellent idealscope image
*Color Grade
*Costs 1k less than 1.8 stone

Cons
*Surface graining and the characteristics/inclusions within the diamond are reflective (mirrored image) which displays like a hazy window pane
*Clarity not as good as 1.8
*Was not in house gemologist''s favorite

1.808 H VS2 (Not sure idealscope image is a plus or a minus)
Pros -
*.6 EX HCA Score
*Measurements close to 1.9 diamond
*Shows hearts and arrows

Cons -
*Possible borderline head obstruction
*Color is not as good as 1.7
*Cost more than 1.7 by 1k
*Better Clarity

Based on these factors, would there be a clear-cut winner? haha..

*I think will probably be the only one laughing at that question..."clear cut"..

THANKS ALL!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
No clear cut winner to me... So I am also laughing at the phrase.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about the local jeweler''s 1.7 carat that you found? That cert looked really good. Maybe that is the answer.

bongolover

Rough_Rock
Lol, so I'm going delirious trying to choose.. I don't know much about surface graining or head obstruction so which of the two would impact performance more? My gut is saying the head obstruction; however talking with the rep, he indicates that there is none whatsoever..

The 1.7 G SI1 did have a EX for the polish so the graining was not accounted for by GIA.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not sure if there is a gemologist in UD that you can talk to?

Do you want to take a risk? :razz:

bongolover

Rough_Rock
StoneCold! I like that idea! Thanks for the reminder lol! I forget sometimes that she will LOVE whatever it is that I get her. I just want to be nitpicky (by nature) and know that they''re all great options.. just pinpointing the right one that I want to present to her.

Hello world! Tomorrow I take a leap and er.. so does the wallet. Lol! Thanks for your time and feedback! I hope to be able to share my experience and provide some insight to the next fellow PS member :)

As they say.. if you''re not sure.. sleep on it! Then.. take the risk! Have a good one!

oh! one question to confirm: A GIA Graduate is an actual certified gemologist right?
26.gif

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck. :)

Not sure about the gemologist thing. Maybe someone else can answer that.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results