shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me with my oval!

mitchjamesrob

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

This forum has been great for me to learn about oval diamonds before purchasing one and I thought I was armed with enough knowledge to buy one, so I did, but now I am second guessing myself (probably due to knowing too much now.

I just purchased this oval - https://www.ritani.com/products/1-00-carat-oval-diamond-d-1afr10t1ds (not from this website but it's the only place I could still find the link)

I didn't really notice much of the bowtie in the video but now that I have it, I seem to notice it more. What do you guys think?

The bowtie is only visible in some angles/lighting.

I still have time to return the diamond if I need to, I just want some expert and brutally honest opinions!

I'll attach some videos I've taken as well

stonehunter20

Shiny_Rock
hmm, i see what you are saying. i did notice that "bowtie" in the video. it's noticeable. but not sure what that means in terms of diamond quality. waiting for experts to chime in.

mitchjamesrob

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your thoughts @stonehunter20

I'm not really concerned about how it affects the quality of the diamond as such; I am more concerned that the 'bowtie' is really noticeable in person which will cause it to be distracting and take away from the beauty of the diamond.

I just want some opinions on whether or not my partner is likely to notice it all that much. I notice it because I am looking for it, so I'd like to hear people's thoughts on whether it is 'generally' noticeable and distracting to someone who isn't looking for the 'bowtie', if that makes sense?

To put it another way, is the bowtie actually that noticeable or do I just notice it more because I am looking for it?

What do you think @stonehunter20

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely.

"The bowtie is only visible in some angles/lighting"

Then, it is non-issue.

Last edited:

mitchjamesrob

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply @flyingpig

I don't quite understand what you mean by "hard to assess. But at least 8.5/10 Can be higher"... Is that your rating of the diamond or the bowtie?

Thanks for your help!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I don't quite understand what you mean by "hard to assess. But at least 8.5/10 Can be higher"... Is that your rating of the diamond or the bowtie?

Thanks for your help!

Hard to assess because your videos are not very focused and too far away...when FP gives a rating its usually for the stone (not the center area).

If it bothers you too much there are stones that reduce the look of the dark center area. I'm going to link you to the post. I put ovals in
categories from best ovals to not-so-good ovals. Might be worth taking a look so you have a better understanding of the different oval
faceting patterns and how they look. Look for the post by me that says "Ovals fall into about 3"...as the second sentence.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks for your help!

That is my overall score.

Large area of good light return in the middle, both in the photo and your video. This already puts the diamond in the above-average category.

Screenshot_20200808-073431_Chrome.jpg

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
what about one of these from Jonathan, supposed to be the best cut

mitchjamesrob

Rough_Rock
Thanks for that explanation and for the link @tyty333 !!

@flyingpig thank you so much for your explanation. You're knowledge on diamonds has been really helpful!!

@WillyDiamond - I have spoken with Jonathan in relation to his ovals and if I decide to return mine, I will probably purchase one from him. Unfortunately, I didn't find out about his ovals until I had already purchased my one and living in Australia, the returns process isn't the easiest if I don't like it for whatever reason. His ovals do look amazing though!!

I'll have another look at my oval when it finally stops raining over here and the sun comes out again and make my decision then. I do think I have a lovely oval and that I am looking way to hard to see the bowtie when I don't think my partner would even notice it.

Appreciate all your advice everyone :)

mitchjamesrob

Rough_Rock
Hard to assess because your videos are not very focused and too far away...when FP gives a rating its usually for the stone (not the center area).

If it bothers you too much there are stones that reduce the look of the dark center area. I'm going to link you to the post. I put ovals in
categories from best ovals to not-so-good ovals. Might be worth taking a look so you have a better understanding of the different oval
faceting patterns and how they look. Look for the post by me that says "Ovals fall into about 3"...as the second sentence.

I had a read of this post and you explain it really well and have made it easier to understand. Thanks! My eye definitely isn't as good as yours haha. Would you say my oval has lots of mushy areas? I couldn't really see all that much but I'm definitely not as in tune as you in looking for it!

Also, what are your general thoughts on the Elyque Ovals as mentioned by @WillyDiamond compared to regular cut ovals?

mitchjamesrob

Rough_Rock
That is my overall score.

Large area of good light return in the middle, both in the photo and your video. This already puts the diamond in the above-average category.

Screenshot_20200808-073431_Chrome.jpg

What are your general thoughts on Elyque Ovals as compared to well cut traditional ovals?

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have never seen Elyque Ovals in person. But here are my thoughts.

Elyque Ovals are not necesarily better cut than traditional oval brilliants. There are just different styles IMHO. Elongated brilliants leak light. It is just how the geometry and optics work. In the round brilliant, the pavilion angles can be cut uniformly. In an elongated cut, it is impossible. That is why you often see total leakage going W/E and bowtie going N/S. Good oval brilliants are cut to minimize this effect and, but it cannot be eliminated.
That is unless you heavily modify the pavilion facets and design. That is what the Elyque Oval is. It is cut to maximize brilliance and eliminate bowtie and leakage. Lool at the facet diagram on the AGS report and it is very different from the oval brilliant. It is remarkable. However, there is one major drawback. It is deep and the spread is not good.
So... It is upto what you value the most.

mitchjamesrob

Rough_Rock
I have never seen Elyque Ovals in person. But here are my thoughts.

Elyque Ovals are not necesarily better cut than traditional oval brilliants. There are just different styles IMHO. Elongated brilliants leak light. It is just how the geometry and optics work. In the round brilliant, the pavilion angles can be cut uniformly. In an elongated cut, it is impossible. That is why you often see total leakage going W/E and bowtie going N/S. Good oval brilliants are cut to minimize this effect and, but it cannot be eliminated.
That is unless you heavily modify the pavilion facets and design. That is what the Elyque Oval is. It is cut to maximize brilliance and eliminate bowtie and leakage. Lool at the facet diagram on the AGS report and it is very different from the oval brilliant. It is remarkable. However, there is one major drawback. It is deep and the spread is not good.
So... It is upto what you value the most.

Thanks so much for that explanation! It's hard having not seen an Elyque in person, and I won't easily be able to see one as I live in Australia. It's equally hard as this is the first diamond I have purchased so I am learning A LOT as I go!

I did notice that the Elyque looks quite deep compared to the traditional ovals, and that the table and spread looks smaller than the traditional oval at the same carat weight.

It's a tough choice knowing what I value the most because I don't actually know haha.

I know this might be hard to answer, but does the depth of the Elyque cause it to be mounted differently on the ring? Like will it stick up off the finger more due to the depth requiring a higher setting compared to a traditional oval?

I'll keep stressing over it for a bit before I make my decision haha

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
OP
A couple of things.....

Some PSers have remarked how beautiful they are and glad they purchased them.

If I remember correctly, your big concern was the bowtie. It is my understanding that Jonathon has eliminated that with this cut, at least that is the claim.

And finally, I have said it before on other post responses, the age old axiom prevails with diamonds.....You get what you pay for.

Good luck.

mitchjamesrob

Rough_Rock
@tyty333 @stonehunter20 @flyingpig @WillyDiamond

Hi guys,

Just wanted to thank you all again for your help and valuable insight! I ended up sticking with the original diamond I bought thanks to all your input. I got it set into a rose gold band with white gold basket solitaire. I cannot notice the bow tie at all now that it has been set into a ring, and the fire and scintillation it let's off is amazing.

But it doesn't matter what I think... I proposed yesterday and my now fiance (she said yes!!) absolutely adored the ring and put any of my worries about it to ease immediately

Thanks again for all your knowledge and for steering me in the right direction. I've attached a photo so you can see the finished product!!

P. S. Now I need some advice on how to take good photos of diamonds

IMG_20200922_165415.jpg IMG_20200922_163657.jpg IMG-20200923-WA0001.jpg

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement. The ring is perfect on your fiancee's hand. Ovals and rose gold are becoming more and more popular in Australia. You've done well!

mitchjamesrob

Rough_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement. The ring is perfect on your fiancee's hand. Ovals and rose gold are becoming more and more popular in Australia. You've done well!

Thanks so much :)

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The oval looks quite nice and real good on your finger.
Congrats and wear it in the best of health.

scouty

Brilliant_Rock
How beautiful it looks great! Congrats!!!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
congrats! woohoo!!!! lovely ring adn stone!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks beautiful on you! Diamonds are notoriously hard to photograph!

Here is a thread...my advice...take about 1000 pictures and you're bound to get a few good ones (works for me)! Enjoy your beautiful new ring!

mitchjamesrob

Rough_Rock
It looks beautiful on you! Diamonds are notoriously hard to photograph!

Here is a thread...my advice...take about 1000 pictures and you're bound to get a few good ones (works for me)! Enjoy your beautiful new ring!

Thanks so much :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results