shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me pick the right lab grown diamond

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not necessarily. There is a flood of poor quality (in regards to the material quality the diamond is cut and polished from) LGDs right now. Most of the CVDs on the market appear to be grainy, hazy, or both. Lots of assessing should be performed.

I agree with DejaWiz. And I'm unimpressed with the quality of the CVD in the 3 stones you've posted. A good HPHT without blue nuance is the closest thing to a natural diamond.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I agree with DejaWiz. And I'm unimpressed with the quality of the CVD in the 3 stones you've posted. A good HPHT without blue nuance is the closest thing to a natural diamond.

Exactly why I posted that GIA graded 2.08 earlier that was quickly scooped up by someone else...and it was $1400, not $1500. :shock:

Heck, *I* was about to buy it as another surprise upgrade for my wife's smaller 1.69 E SI1 and just tell her to deal with it that I had spent even more money on jewelry for her! :lol:
I didn't, because I'm on the hunt for for a very specific and meaningful carat weight as the centerpiece for a gent's ring for myself.

Video:

Grading report:

Screenshot_20230829-092014-817.png

Last edited:

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
arshad syed, please let us help you find some better options that would also be accessible by your local jeweler.
Do they pull from the same virtual inventory as Ritani?
What is your budget for just the loose diamond and what carat range, color grades, and clarity grades are you wanting to stick with?

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly why I posted that GIA graded 2.08 earlier that was quickly scooped up by someone else...and it was $1400, not $1500. :shock:

Heck, *I* was about to buy it as another surprise upgrade for my wife's smaller 1.69 E SI1 and just tell her to deal with it that I had spent even more money on jewelry for her! :lol:
I didn't, because I'm on the hunt for for a very specific and meaningful carat weight as the centerpiece for a gent's ring for myself.

Video:

Grading report:

Screenshot_20230829-092014-817.png

How exciting @DejaWiz!! I can’t wait to hear more about your project. What style ring do you have in mind if you don’t mind my asking. Please keep us updated.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
How exciting @DejaWiz!! I can’t wait to hear more about your project. What style ring do you have in mind if you don’t mind my asking. Please keep us updated.

I won't go into too much detail in someone else's thread, but I'm envisioning "Italian supercar" as aggressive style/design and angles cues mixed with Celtic cues as homage to my family's ancestoral roots. Nothing concrete, and I may decide to go another route altogether.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
CVD is in no way superior to HPHT. You can definitely get a beautiful CVD stone, but it takes a fraction of the time to grow a CVD stone than an HPHT…they can be rapidly made which contributes to the graining and striation. CVD stones are much cheaper for a jeweler to acquire (and mark up), hence the preference for them.

arshad syed

Rough_Rock
arshad syed, please let us help you find some better options that would also be accessible by your local jeweler.
Do they pull from the same virtual inventory as Ritani?
What is your budget for just the loose diamond and what carat range, color grades, and clarity grades are you wanting to stick with?

Thanks for taking your time out to reply and I really appreciate it. Yeah you are right they have same inventory as Ritani. My budget would be anywhere around 1000 to 2000$ for the diamond. I would stick to the below specs.
Carat-1.5,
COLOR- D,E,F,G,
CLARITY-IF, VVS1, VVS2, VS1,VS2.

What do you think of this one ? Is it too pricey ?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for taking your time out to reply and I really appreciate it. Yeah you are right they have same inventory as Ritani. My budget would be anywhere around 1000 to 2000$ for the diamond. I would stick to the below specs.
Carat-1.5,
COLOR- D,E,F,G,

It's a bit on the higher side, but it's a very nice diamond.

Check these out.

Runningmama

Shiny_Rock
Carat-1.5,
COLOR- D,E,F,G,

Are you set on Ritani, or are you open to other vendors?

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Here you go...D VVS2 HPHT with Hearts and Arrows designation on the grading report (,the diamond is slightly tilted in the video):

Price match to other sellers:

Video:

Really loving the 1.73 with fiery proportions that Kim N posted, as well!

arshad syed

Rough_Rock
You're very welcome and try to be quick, because diamond recommendations here don't hang around long.

Okay. It looks like my Indian Jeweler is ghosting me now as I said no to all of the diamonds he has sent me. He told me that the diamonds I posted here(the ones he sent me) have excellent fire and light. May be I want to purchase from Ritani. I saw your post on purchasing diamond from Ritani for your wife. How was the experience with Ritani? Will they send the ASET and Ideal scope of the diamond we are interested in ? I also see that their settings are expensive. I always wanted a verragio setting which is available only on James Allen for $4000.

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
People have purchased through Ritani and Loose Grown Diamonds with much success. I love the 1.73 that @Kim N and @DejaWiz highlighted, especially at that price.

Verragio settings are also sold through brick and mortar stores. You aren't limited to James Allen. Are you in the US?

I purchased a loose stone through Brian Gavin and had it set by a trusted jeweler here in town.

That's too bad about getting ghosted. Buying a diamond is a tricky journey, but the time and effort will be worth it in the long run.

arshad syed

Rough_Rock
People have purchased through Ritani and Loose Grown Diamonds with much success. I love the 1.73 that @Kim N and @DejaWiz highlighted, especially at that price.

Verragio settings are also sold through brick and mortar stores. You aren't limited to James Allen. Are you in the US?

I purchased a loose stone through Brian Gavin and had it set by a trusted jeweler here in town.

That's too bad about getting ghosted. Buying a diamond is a tricky journey, but the time and effort will be worth it in the long run.

Yes, I stay in US but I don't know any local jeweler here. What is brick and mortar store ? Is it like a local jeweler store ?

0515vision

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, by "brick and mortar" I mean a store that is physically present - as opposed to an online jewelry store (e.g., Ritani, James Allen, etc). I went around to stores in my area (Los Angeles) and got a feel for the jewelers before deciding on who would set my diamond. The result was perfect.

You might be able to get recommendations of good jewelers from neighbors both in person and online (through the Next Door app or Facebook). There are also Verragio licensed stores which you can find on their website. I have no idea if they will allow you to bring in a stone, but it's worth asking. Hope some of this helps.

arshad syed

Rough_Rock
Yes, by "brick and mortar" I mean a store that is physically present - as opposed to an online jewelry store (e.g., Ritani, James Allen, etc). I went around to stores in my area (Los Angeles) and got a feel for the jewelers before deciding on who would set my diamond. The result was perfect.

You might be able to get recommendations of good jewelers from neighbors both in person and online (through the Next Door app or Facebook). There are also Verragio licensed stores which you can find on their website. I have no idea if they will allow you to bring in a stone, but it's worth asking. Hope some of this helps.

Thanks for the info. I will probably do some research on the local jewelers.

arshad syed

Rough_Rock
Sorry to bug you guys again. I found a local jeweler and he told that he can get me better deal than Ritani. He sent me two diamonds. What do you guys think?

Link for the 360 videos

D1.jpeg

Attachments

• D2.jpeg
    D2.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 16

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry to bug you guys again. I found a local jeweler and he told that he can get me better deal than Ritani. He sent me two diamonds. What do you guys think?

Link for the 360 videos

D1.jpeg

The F has very noticeable blue nuance. The D looks somewhat leaky.

arshad syed

Rough_Rock
The F has very noticeable blue nuance. The D looks somewhat leaky.

Thank you for your response. I am just curious. How do we determine if a diamond is leaky by looking the video ?

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your response. I am just curious. How do we determine if a diamond is leaky by looking the video ?

The diamond is a bit tilted, so I may be wrong and it's best to verify with an ASET image, but I usually prefer to see more even color/light play in the areas between the base of the arrows. Like this stone, as an example.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Link for the 360 videos

D1.jpeg

The 1.71 has a slightly shallower pavilion depth at 42.5%...most diamonds with a 40.6 PA will get rounded to 43%. This tells us that some of the facets measured out below 40.6 - likely around 40.4-40.5 then averaging and gross rounding was applied. Because it's paired with a slightly shallower 34.2 CA (again, after averaging all of the crown facets angles), there is what appears to be some paddling going on: darkening of the upper bezel facets around the crown. This PA and pavilion depth would have been better paired with a slightly steeper crown angle.

The 1.78 does have blue nuance:

arshad syed

Rough_Rock
The 1.71 has a slightly shallower pavilion depth at 42.5%...most diamonds with a 40.6 PA will get rounded to 43%. This tells us that some of the facets measured out below 40.6 - likely around 40.4-40.5 then averaging and gross rounding was applied. Because it's paired with a slightly shallower 34.2 CA (again, after averaging all of the crown facets angles), there is what appears to be some paddling going on: darkening of the upper bezel facets around the crown. This PA and pavilion depth would have been better paired with a slightly steeper crown angle.

The 1.78 does have blue nuance:

Thanks for your response . I appreciate it. I ditched this local jeweler because he kept the rubbing this idea of CVD diamonds are far better than HPHT. He also told me that he gets the diamonds from the whole salers in India. So, I found another jeweler who is from India. He told me that they are the diamond growers and sell it to jewelers in USA. I picked some diamonds from the Ritani's Inventory and asked him to check he has it. I really like this one which is on Ritani. What do you think ? Should I go ahead with it ? Its $1847 on Ritani but the indian jeweler is selling it for $1254. The HCA score this diamond is 0.9.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your response . I appreciate it. I ditched this local jeweler because he kept the rubbing this idea of CVD diamonds are far better than HPHT. He also told me that he gets the diamonds from the whole salers in India. So, I found another jeweler who is from India. He told me that they are the diamond growers and sell it to jewelers in USA. I picked some diamonds from the Ritani's Inventory and asked him to check he has it. I really like this one which is on Ritani. What do you think ? Should I go ahead with it ? Its $1847 on Ritani but the indian jeweler is selling it for $1254. The HCA score this diamond is 0.9.

This one looks like a winner!

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock

Looks really good!
Any more options presented to you for picking the best amongst multiple diamonds?

arshad syed

Rough_Rock
Looks really good!
Any more options presented to you for picking the best amongst multiple diamonds?
Yep.. Below is the list . They all are around $1000.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep.. Below is the list . They all are around $1000.

I like these two.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results