shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me find cool, modern e-ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Hi all,

My best friend will be getting engaged soon & has enlisted my help with ring suggestions. (Or rather, I''ve excitedly volunteered to help & she''s somewhat reluctantly accepted!)

She''s looking for something modern & simple & doesn''t want anything that sticks out or gets caught on things. She also mentioned that she thinks a "floating diamond" (I assume she means tension set?) is cool. She''s very active, so something like a bezel setting could work well for her.

She also loves green, so I wonder if a yummy tsavorite could be an option as well.

Her future FI is a grad student, so his main concern is money. I don''t know what the budget is, but she''d like to present him with a wide range of options & prices.

Any suggestions?

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Well, a setting like what I have in mind would make finding a w-band difficult, but I was just presented with a similar dilemma when helping my father re-set a tourmaline for my mother. Mom likes modern styles, and doesn''t like things that sit up high - here''s what we did:

momptonme3.jpg

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, we bought it from a local jeweler and I don''t know who makes it, so I can''t offer a lot of info, but I thought it might help for ideas.

And here''s the low profile:

momptprofile.jpg

PaulaW

Brilliant_Rock
I like this setting - seems to fit her needs. If it looks funny, it originally had a ruby in it so I photoshopped it for you. ;-)

R-3STRuby.jpg

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a link to some tension rings. Pic below. (I just did a google search)
http://www.topperjewelers.com/jewelry/steven_kretchmer/tension_set_omega
I'm sure if you search PS with tension or bezel you will find plenty of beautiful examples! Please post pics when he decides!

I think it's great that you are helping too!
36.gif

tensiontensiontension.jpg

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Holy cow, you guys are amazing! What beautiful rings! Paula, I can''t believe you just photoshopped a tsavorite into that ring. I''m so impressed!

Keep ''em coming & thank you so much for your help!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ve got to get ready and start dinner, so I don''t have time to hunt for you now brightspot...but did want to pop in and say hi
35.gif
how are you doing?

diamondsrock

Brilliant_Rock
love the Niwaka Dawn ring. So smooth and graceful. Very modern yet very wearable.

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
My suggestion would be to use 14 or 18K gold instead of platinum and stick with a simple tension set solitaire. With a limited student budget, spend the money on a diamond and get a simple setting. Or...you can do what I did, and get the setting of your dreams and work with a diamond vendor that allows lifetime upgrades! Save the green for sidestones or for bridesmaid dresses.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
scholdt makes some nice modern designs. he could take a look at those (esp their Vashon line) and get some ideas then work with a vendor to make a custom WG or YG design in order to stay in his budget

i was seriously considering this one for awhile - it looks even nicer in person

sholdtaliastype.jpg

ETA : i started out looking at tensions and liked them alot but when i started thinking about it i got a little paranoid about how vulnerable the diamond seemed to be in the tension setting esp if one is an active person. i know that the tensions are supposed to very solid but i realized that it would end up being a mind thing for me and i would always be too freaked out about damaging the diamond. something for her to consider. if she is really active then bezel or half bezel might be a better option.

if she hasn't tried on any ring so far the best thing would be to go out and try lots of styles on. things looked totally different online and on paper than on your finger.

BrightSpot

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, everyone, for your great ideas & the beautiful pics! I sent my friend a lot of options last night & she took a look at a few.

She mentioned that she & her bf were considering titanium rings, so I pointed her to Bruce Boone''s site since he did such a fabulous job with my DH''s wedding ring.

She & her bf really like the ring below (as do I!) & its matching band but they are still looking around.

Any recommendations (stone specs, etc.) if she winds up going with a titanium, tension set ring? I read somewhere that thicker girdles are preferable for tension set rings.

Ringster, that''s a great point about making sure you''re mentally secure with the idea of a tension setting. I will point that out to my friend.

Jelly, another great point about keeping the setting simple, putting the majority of the budget into the diamond & working with a vendor that allows for upgrades!

mercoledi, my friend actually sent me a few links including the link to the Mokume rings from greenkarat. What cool, interesting settings.

mrssalvo, it''s great to see you!
35.gif
I''m in a different job now, which, sadly, doesn''t allow me much time to post on PS. I miss you guys! I still lurk when I can, though. Congrats to you on your pregnancy!

sculptedroundwplatinum.jpg

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Claude Thibaudeau makes some wonderful sleek modern designs in platinum. Here is mine with a pink sapphire that I wear on my right hand, but it could easily be an engagement ring and there are many other styles like this.

pinksapphirect2.jpg

littledebbie

Shiny_Rock
Here are some rings that may have some possibilities:

Copy of niessingtensionld.JPG

littledebbie

Shiny_Rock
I believe this is Diana Couture:

dianacoutureld.gif

littledebbie

Shiny_Rock
I believe this is Sholdt:

sholdtld.jpg

littledebbie

Shiny_Rock
Can''t remember whose these are:

modern3ld.jpg

littledebbie

Shiny_Rock
The other suggestion I have is an Etienne Perret Ring. I recently re-set my ring and went to a local trunk show a few months ago where I was able to try on several of his rings and met him in person. There are 2 that I tried on and liked that I think might work for your friend. His prices were very reasonable. Both were between $1200-$1400 in platinum. I wear a size 3, so the price might be higher for a larger size. I''m not sure if he took that into account when he quoted me those prices. He hand carves each mold for each ring. Then if you give the go-ahead, he casts it in silver. I''m believe you can ask to see it at this point too. (I''m not positive though.) After this he casts it in the metal of your choice. He seemed very easy to work with.

Here is 1 ring I considered. The ring I tried on was in platinum with 1 channel set diamond on each side of the center stone. It looked very elegant and I was considering having the ring made with the side diamonds replace with rubies. I wish I had a picture to show you because the overall look was very different from this picture.

littledebbie

Shiny_Rock
This is the other Etienne Perret ring that I thought of when I saw this post. I considered having this ring made with 2 rubies as the side stones. The 2 side stones look pear shape in this setting even though they are rounds because of the shape of the setting. This ring looked very elegant in person also. Here is the link to Etienne Perret''s web-site: link

Good luck!

Cognac-3-Diamond-Ring_lg.jpg

littledebbie

Shiny_Rock
Oops. Here's the picture that goes with the 1st Etienne Perret ring I talked about.

Danielleringld.jpg

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
I''ve always thought this was a good alternative to tension setting. It''s bezel set, but the gallery is completely open so you can see the pavilion of the diamond. The sleekness really appeals to me too. Golden Gate

goldengate_r.JPG

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
Check out Sakamoto rings. Go to Pearlman''s website to see them.

ringster

Brilliant_Rock
another thing about tension settings - they are very hard to resize

i love that ring that selkie posted. very nice. for a bezel it has a very light look to it - sometimes bezels can look heavy. the website that selkie posted has lots of nice rings for an active person

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
http://www.maevona.com makes some of the most beautiful modern settings I''ve ever seen, though I''ve no idea of their prices.

P.S. - Warning: the music on their website is vaguely addictive. I''ve been known to leave the window open while I browse for the background noise.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
I love modern rings, both chunky style and fine style too. I always wanted an engagment ring that was ''me'' and when we found it I just knew I would have fun designing my wedding ring.

PoOriginal.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results