shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me estimate the carat of this ring - thanks very much!

noyu

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, first time posting here, please let me know if I should post to somewhere else and thanks in advance for your opinions.

This is the e-ring that my fiancé proposed with. The ring is actually bought by his family (a cultural tradition) and he doesn’t know the details and the certificate was with the future in-laws in a different country... I love this ring but I got so curious about the 4Cs...:cry2: didn’t feel right to ask the future in-laws, so if you can help me get an idea of the carat at least, that would be great.

The finger size is 6.5.

Thanks again!

CF1E3DBB-F1BB-442B-B5A3-0AEFCAFF1679.jpeg

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Looks bigger than mine which is 1/3ct but beyond that I’m not good at guessing

If you have a caliper to measure it the stone, you can plug into calculators online for an estimate — but ct is a weight measurement so two diamonds with exact same dimensions will be slightly different in ct

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The best thing to do is measure in mm, and then check a mm to carat conversion chart, it will give you a rough estimate. It’s impossoble to tell from the picture but I would guess half a carat or so depending on the depth maybe a bit more. But it’s a very of guess like that.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Hello everyone, first time posting here, please let me know if I should post to somewhere else and thanks in advance for your opinions.

This is the e-ring that my fiancé proposed with. The ring is actually bought by his family (a cultural tradition) and he doesn’t know the details and the certificate was with the future in-laws in a different country... I love this ring but I got so curious about the 4Cs...:cry2: didn’t feel right to ask the future in-laws, so if you can help me get an idea of the carat at least, that would be great.

The finger size is 6.5.

Thanks again!

CF1E3DBB-F1BB-442B-B5A3-0AEFCAFF1679.jpeg

With your fingers being a 6.5 (hello to all of us who don't have enviably teeny tiny fingers....) it might be a bit more than 1/2ct. But the best thing is to get a rough measurement. You could also go to an appraiser on your own in your city and have them look the ring over for you and give their opinions on the 4C's for you, which should include some basic measurements.

~5mm is generally around 1/2ct
~5.75-6mm is generally in the 3/4ct area

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can probably pop into any jewelry store and just ask them to measure it with calipers for you to get an idea.

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I second what others have suggested about visiting a local jeweler.

I have size 6 fingers and my guess based on your finger coverage would be somewhere between 1-1.25.

Please come back and update us, I would love to see how accurate our guesses end up being.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a De beers ring. What does it say inside the ring???

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Impossible to tell, but it looks about .75-.90 to me.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
Inside the band, are there any numbers?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, based on your finger size, I would think the diamond is apx 2/3 - 3/4 carat or so ...

If you have a ruler and can measure the diameter of the diamond, a 2/3 carat diamond is apx 1/5th of an inch, and a 3/4 carat diamond is just under 1/4 inch. Some standard rulers also include metric measure, and if yours does, just determine the diameter of your diamond in millimeters. Then do an internet search for a chart of diamond carat weight based on diameter mm.

By the way, your ring looks beautiful on your finger - congratulations!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was thinking around 3/4 but a jeweler would be your best resource.

noyu

Rough_Rock
Thanks so so much for all your responses! Those are great suggestions! I haven’t had the time to go to a jewelry store but I’ve used the ruler tape and the diameter seems to be 6.0-6.5mm.

Rose-gold-or-bust

Shiny_Rock
6mm would put you around .8 ct — close anyway. It’s so hard to tell exactly with a ruler and ct is a weight measurement anyway so it could be a .7 with more spread than usual or a 1ct that’s a little dense

noyu

Rough_Rock
Looks like a De beers ring. What does it say inside the ring???

OMG yes!
It said D1.07ct and d0.15ct

I think it means center stone 1.07ct and stones on the band 0.15ct ☺️ problem solved.

I do think it looks somewhat smaller though! Oh well I don’t have slender figures anyway :D

Thanks again everyone!

Reactions: AV_

noyu

Rough_Rock
Ok now starting to curious about the other 3Cs.. will have to stop by a jeweler I guess...will they do it for free?

noyu

Rough_Rock
I second what others have suggested about visiting a local jeweler.

I have size 6 fingers and my guess based on your finger coverage would be somewhere between 1-1.25.

Please come back and update us, I would love to see how accurate our guesses end up being.
you got it right!:D

Reactions: AV_

noyu

Rough_Rock
Yes, based on your finger size, I would think the diamond is apx 2/3 - 3/4 carat or so ...

If you have a ruler and can measure the diameter of the diamond, a 2/3 carat diamond is apx 1/5th of an inch, and a 3/4 carat diamond is just under 1/4 inch. Some standard rulers also include metric measure, and if yours does, just determine the diameter of your diamond in millimeters. Then do an internet search for a chart of diamond carat weight based on diameter mm.

By the way, your ring looks beautiful on your finger - congratulations!

Thanks so much for your compliments ❤️

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad I could help!!!! ;-)

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Ok now starting to curious about the other 3Cs.. will have to stop by a jeweler I guess...will they do it for free?

Many of them will give you an "opinion" on color or cut quality, but if you want more information with actual measurements of the stone and a gemologists opinion, you'll need to pay an independent appraiser.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
maybe .65?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results