shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me decide how to set my new OMB oval stone

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Let me preface this by saying that I may take Dreamer's sage advice and set the stone in a super simple solitaire, since my goal in selling my 5+ ctw ering was to have something smaller that I would be comfortable wearing everyday, as opposed to a gorgeous ring that I rarely wore at all. That said though, I am not typically a solitaire kind of girl and am usually attracted to three stone rings. I have also found a couple of halo's that I really like. For reference, the stone measures 9.26x7.60x5.52mm and my ring size is a 5.5. Here's a couple of photos of the stone:

oval.jpg
oval2.jpg

Here's a photo showing the settings that I really like, if I were to decide to set the stone in it's "forever" home as opposed to what may be a temporary solitaire setting:

jpg%20ring%20collage.jpg

I have spoken with Victor about making the halo ring with a shank like the one on the moonstone ring (though more delicate) and the halo using single cut stones in a milgrained semi-bezel like the paraiba ring. (images 1 & 2). My other favorite is #6, which is a Singlestone setting. Heather is currently putting together a CAD that would show me what the oval stone would look like in that setting.

So, which is your favorite setting and why? If you don't care for any of them, I'd love to see what you'd do with this stone if it were up to you....

Thanks!

ETA: Not sure why the photos of the stone are so large and the rings are so small...I'll work on that and try to post a better photo shortly. :???:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Though I didn't comment on your original post, I watched it closely, and I am SO GLAD you got that beautiful stone! However you set it, I am hoping you will post many, many, many pics.

I think I remember your mentioning that it was originally in a Van Cleef and Arpels setting, yes? I think if it were me, I'd want to do something that approximated its original and fit its cut in terms of age and style ... so my vote would probably be for something like the lower right-most diamond setting (the SingleStone, I take it? gorgeous!). But that's definitely not an unassuming ring ... and if one of your issues with the 5-carat ring was size and attention-gettingness, I think I might maybe factor that in and try wearing it in a temp setting for a while. I wouldn't get a super-simple solitaire, though, as that's not really aesthetically appropriate for that cut of stone. Maybe something with simple prongs and side baguettes (or side french-cuts, if you wanted to be fancy/a little different/try to match the cut). I bet SingleStone could whip something like that up, or JBEG ....

LittleSparkle

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE (read: adore, covet, worship, want to devour) #6!!! And I think #4 could be pretty spectacular also. This new stone is so delicious! Chunky facets in an oval! Oh my!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Circe! It is the most gorgeous stone I think I've ever seen. The photos don't do it justice. It was set in a Van Cleef and Arpels setting and the jeweler tried to describe the setting to me, but I couldn't really picture it in my mind.

I agree with you that #6 is gorgeous, though you may be right that it will still be too blingy. Hmmm...

Thanks LoveStreet. I like #4 too. I like them all, that's the problem. Deciding which setting to go with may just kill me (or cause me to do nothing...and just stare at the loose stone everyday, lol!)....

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
WoooooooooooooHOOOOOOOOO! I am so happy that you have this stone, Yenny! It is beautiful, and really stunning in its uniqueness. I don't think I've ever seen an oval quite like it.

I wanted to share that I went from a somewhat blingy setting to a plain solitaire for my upgrade and I don't regret it one bit. My original setting was a modern cushion set on an eternity band of RBs paired with an eternity band wedding ring, and now I'm wearing my upgrade OMB in a solitaire setting that looks very plain from the top view. I was a bit nervous that I would miss the extra bling, but I do not miss it at all. My upgraded stone is really something special (in my opinion :cheeky: ) and I wanted it to shine in its setting, and that's exactly what it does. I feel the same about your stone, and would definitely go for a solitaire if it were mine.

That being said, I don't think you can go wrong with this stone. Have I mentioned that I adore it? :cheeky:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks rubyprincess. That is a beautiful setting too. So hard to decide! Haven, I appreciate your comments, as I know you did something similiar, so it's good to know that you are happy with your choice of setting. I think what's hard is picturing the stone set, since I rarely see photos with oval shaped stones...makes it hard to imagine, kwim?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I adore that stone yenny!

zaq12

Rough_Rock
wow that's gorgeous! i actually like the non halo settings you've posted the best. 4 and 5 i think. they seem so classy and different.

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Wow yenny gorgeous stone, congrats! As for the setting it's no. 6 hands down for me, that is my dream ring the one the only lol. If you go look at rings you lust for I posted a face shot of it also. Whatever you decide though I think it's that stone that'll make the ring, just beautiful!

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Yenny - I'm really excited for you! That setting above is really gorgeous......

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
1) GORGEOUS STONE!! Congrats!!
2) I'm feeling #5, that's Leon's right? Its got enough bling to be gorgeous and accent the center stone without taking away from it.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yenny...that stone is to DIE FOR!!!! It's is so beautiful.... I went to Single Stone to get a closer look at choice #6 since you noted it... and I saw this one.. the bezel around the stone just made it feel "old world"...

http://www.singlestone.com/index.php?page=collections&catID=23&pID=758&startRow=4

I really like #1... that's probably my favorite... it's a tough decision but I know with that stone it was be stunning!!!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wait, Mayk....you WENT to Singlestone to look at this setting??? Because it was one of my top contenders??? I hope you're like right next door or something!!!! They have so many gorgeous settings...I'd love to see them in person....

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
GORGEOUS GORGEOUS stone!! :love: :love: :love:

I think it would look spectacular in any of the settings, but I loooooooooove the Singlestone (#6). :))

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the idea of a halo... But I aso think setting it in a simple solitaire for now and wearing it for a while might be a good idea since it will give you time to really see how you feel about the stone and what style you will like the best for the longhaul.

bigdiamondtinygal

Shiny_Rock
I think I recall you saying the reason you just ditched that insanely gorgeous ring you JUST had made was because it was too much for every day wear for you. It seems that you are drawn to huge stones and very ornate settings...which each alone (a huge stone or an ornate setting) would be attention getters but that that is exactly what you don't like wearing.

Honestly, if you want to wear this and not feel like everyone is looking at it, you should go for something simple like a solitaire with some engraving...or maybe a split shank solitaire. NO halo, no three stone, no ornate crazy setting. Just something simple and beautiful. The stone is gorgeous and is very large so it can and I think should stand on its own.

I have no doubt that singlestone, leon or victor canera could make you something beautiful to highlight the stone without calling more attention to it.

Just my 2 cents

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1307647125|2941862 said:
Wait, Mayk....you WENT to Singlestone to look at this setting??? Because it was one of my top contenders??? I hope you're like right next door or something!!!! They have so many gorgeous settings...I'd love to see them in person....

Yenny :lol: :lol: :lol: No, NO, No... I went to the website... to try and see a larger version of the setting... and started snooping around... then saw that halo...

I just love your stone.. I am sure it will be stunning in any setting you choose... It makes my hear sing.... :appl: :appl: :appl:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yenny, that's a gorgeous stone! Wow! :love: :love: I would do something plain/simple (by that I mean just plain metal, not a halo) to let that stone take center stage.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1307641767|2941778 said:
Thanks rubyprincess. That is a beautiful setting too. So hard to decide! Haven, I appreciate your comments, as I know you did something similiar, so it's good to know that you are happy with your choice of setting. I think what's hard is picturing the stone set, since I rarely see photos with oval shaped stones...makes it hard to imagine, kwim?
I completely know what you mean.

If I were in your position I would actually go out and buy a fake oval stone in a simple solitaire setting and wear it around for a bit. I know you're drawn to ornate settings but want something you'll be comfortable wearing everyday, but my concern would be that a simple solitaire wouldn't be enough for you. That's why I'd want to test drive a fakey solitaire first. The thing I love about my new solitaire is that I can pair it with blingier eternity bands if I want to up the bling factor, but the ring itself still showcases my diamond.

That being said, I really do believe this stone needs to shine all on her own. She is so beautiful, I really think it would be amazing to set her in a simple solitaire. But that's obviously what I would do, which doesn't matter at all if YOU aren't going to love the ring.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks amysbling,littlesparkle, Rosetta, dragonfly and Kathleenmv...this stone really is gorgeous. I've never seen anything like it!

Wakingdreams, #5 is Leon's (want to give credit where it's due...#1 is his too)
So clueless, another vote for #6...hmmm
Mayk, I'm so relieved that you were looking online...whew!
Packrat, what solitaire would you suggest?
Bigdiamondtinygirl, you are correct about my reasons for selling my other ring. I loves that setting and wish the atones had all been smaller. I do tend to love more ornate settings and do think that an antique stone deserves an antique style setting. I don't really know which direction to take, though Haven's suggestion about a fake oval solitaire is a good one. Off to the mall tomorrow. The bottom line is that I want a ring that I love AND am comfortable wearing everyday...I just have to figure out the balance. :)

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, Yenny N0.6 stole my heart. That being said I found 2 more that you may like. I hope I'm not adding to confusion lol.

2.jpg

6.jpg

AAAAApvMkHEAAAAAAIa97w.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those are both pretty too cluless. I have the same problem that I do with all of the other settings..picturing an oval instead of a round.

Please pardon all of my typos. My pc is broken so I'm on my phone and it's a pita to type on this thing...

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1307660787|2942032 said:
Those are both pretty too cluless. I have the same problem that I do with all of the other settings..picturing an oval instead of a round.

Please pardon all of my typos. My pc is broken so I'm on my phone and it's a pita to type on this thing...

no worries regarding the typos- i do a lot of PS-ing from my Iphone and it wants to auto-correct everything and I never see the mistakes until it's posted. :lol:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow rainydaze, that is a pretty setting! Thanks for sharing it!

OCmom3xboys

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful stone :)

How about half moons on each side? Or brilliant traps on each side?

I can't wait to see what you decide to do...

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That is one of the most beautiful faceting patterns I have ever seen! :appl: Do you mind linking where you found such a stunner?

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
Another vote here for the single stone setting. I love there work and it think it will really show off your new BLINGY!!!

Can not wait to see what you choose.
:bigsmile:

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
If you are looking for a solitaire with a little extra something, what about this?? It is another singlestone setting. I think it is unique and would be STUNNING with your new stone

:love: :love: :love:

NLR0711218.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results