shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me decide how to set my new OMB oval stone

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
Hi yenny,

At this point, (they're all gorgeous by the way) go with the one that took you're breath away, if it didn't happen yet........keep on looking. In my opinion I would go with the one in the centre SS if not mistaken, sinple yet elegant and showcases that centre stone beautifully.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I decided to take Pancake's advice and I spoke with Ari. He sent me photos of a couple of settings that aren't on either site and I really love them. They're the perfect mix between the boldness of the first SS setting I was considering (in the collage) and the second SS setting that I posted above. Once Ari gets the stone, we'll make some decisions as to the details of the ring. I am really excited and feel really confident that I'll end up with a ring that I love and am proud to wear and show off (discreetly, of course!). ;))

Thanks to all of you for being such great sounding boards and cheerleaders. I really want to have the setting made, put my forever ring on my hand and then cheer everyone else on in their projects. This has been enough drama for me, lol!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Forever" is too much pressure. A solitaire costs less than $1000 if simply done. I think if you go ornate, we will see you back in a few months not wearing your ring again. You need to decide if you are comfortable with the diamond before you bling it up.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe Ari can help narrow down a setting now, seems like you are both on the same page which is great!

My OEC, wow, let me just say I feel you on the whole setting picking issue, I'm not lost on it - but not far off!
I can't decide!
I love art deco settings but I don't want to put a colored stone french cut halo around it, not for my engagement ring. I really love frenchies though and definately am considering a french cut diamond halo with milgrain edging, especially after Victor Canera said it is was possible and I know he can source lower colors that won't contrast with my OEC's warmth. Victor's milgrain is perfection and his passion and appreciation for old world craftsmanship, back in the day when they didn't have to tools we do now; really resonates with me, I'm in complete awe of some of the old master's work.
My only concern with a milgrain halo being, I did some research on here and it seems that putting a bezel around an old cut specifically, affects light performance because of the depth of the stone. I don't want to "darken" my stone if that's the case..or is it?! I have seen some stones appear darker by bezeling, and some to no effect, so I don't know. Also, would it look like an illusion setting with a french cut diamond halo?
I have also been pondering Grace's yellow frenchies for sides stones, but would they make my OEC appear more warm and what metal to use to set them in as I wanted a platinum setting, would yellow frenchies look ok in platinum? Also, they are graduated but not tapered so they'd have to be set in steps, not in a smooth taper, not sure if I want that - but boy are they pretty!
On the other hand, I love Steven Kirsch's pave work and I love Ashley Judd's ring, the basket pave and the 8 prong setting (I know her's in a cushion but the same idea) so there's a lot going on under the stone but not so much face up.
My other half doesn't like "big" rings, I know it's mine and I have to wear it, but it's to symbolize something between us and I don't want him looking at it and not liking it, though he's leaving it up to me which is nice ---- but agonizing, lol!
But the kicker is - no upgrades or changes, this is "the" ring...he's very sentimental about that part and I'm not exactly going to be able to spend $20,000 on a ring anytime in the near future again so I feel a lot of pressure to get it right first time.
I will contact Victor and/or Steve once the OEC is fully paid for, I just don't want to bother them now with all these questions when it's still a few months away.

Are you sorry you asked?! lol :errrr:

Deia

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have no advice on the setting but man is that stone pretty! I love it! A jbeg or singlestone comes to mind, any of them!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm definitely chuckling maplefemme. You sound about as bad as me! It's so hard to picture what a ring will look like when you're trying to take elements and put them together. Victor was patience incarnate with all of my questions/directions and indecisiveness. He is a true gentleman with a passion for what he does and I'd love to have him make a piece of some sort in the future.

Dreamer, that's the beauty of the settings that Ari showed me. They are not flashy and they don't make the oval stone look any larger. They just have some delicate detail work in the shank, which I love. Once Ari and I narrow things down, I don't think I'll be back again wanting changes. I'm determined to get it right this time!

Thanks Deia! I am really in love with this stone.

E B

Ideal_Rock
mayerling|1307824049|2943501 said:
rubyprincess|1307638183|2941727 said:
Your stone is dreamy as are the setting inspirations you posted! That said, if I had a ovalish/cushionish shaped stone and the means to buy the perfect setting, I'd go with this:

http://64.19.142.10/artofplatinum.c...virtuemart/shop_image/product/r1060_010Ww.jpg

leon%20r1060.jpg

+1

I think this would be PERFECT. You get the engraving and some extra sparkle, but it's low-enough maintenance for every day.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
yennyfire|1307829359|2943564 said:
I'm definitely chuckling maplefemme. You sound about as bad as me! It's so hard to picture what a ring will look like when you're trying to take elements and put them together. Victor was patience incarnate with all of my questions/directions and indecisiveness. He is a true gentleman with a passion for what he does and I'd love to have him make a piece of some sort in the future.

Oh ya, I think I'm just as bad, which kills me because I'm not typically indecisive in big choices. For eg, my first house I saw blueprints for a whole 2 minutes and I bought it on the spot, at that point the hole hadn't even been dug. The 2nd house I had 5 minutes before the show home closed for the season, I ran around it, scanned the specs, picked a lot and called my partner to tell him I bought our house, which he totally trusted me with. Both were smooth purchases and no regrets.
Thing is, I knew exactly what I wanted in both cases, thoroughly researched before hand and never looked back.
My partner thinks it's hilarious that a ring is giving me so much trouble!

I have heard nothing but good things about Victor, if not my engagement ring then definately I'd like him to do my wedding ring (I know what I want for that - phew!)

I'm really looking forward to seeing your finished ring Yenny, that oval is a downright dreamy one of a kind!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
First, that stone is the most beautiful I have ever seen!

I would set it into my dream setting (replicated by Single Stone...long story there!) that belongs to Parrot Tulips:

parrottulipsering.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's a really pretty setting Shimmer. I'll be anxious to hear what Ari recommends.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oh Yenny, you are a lucky, lucky lady!!! That stone is to-die-for!!! You've had lots of wonderful suggestions, but I just wanted to add that I would love to see something either like LittleSparkle's ring that Leon made- its just stunning with the sidestones and milgrain- YUMM!!!
OR OU's ring: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/o-u-know-its-my-turn-now.159918/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/o-u-know-its-my-turn-now.159918/[/URL]

Cant wait to see what you choose! No matter what, Ari and SS will make you something just wonderful!! I love their work!!!! So excited for you!!!! :appl:

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh, my!!!!! Yenny, that diamond is pure magic! I'm loving all of these suggestions, but am really feeling VC & A inspiration on this one.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yenny that diamond is unbelievably beautiful! I LOVE IT. I think any version of the last set of settings you posted will be perfect for it. I can't wait to see it set! :appl:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will be anxious too to see what is suggested or recommended. I too would prefer no halo though I would certainly favor some extra stones or adornment rather than a plain solitaire for the ring. I'm sure you will come up with something beautiful - the stone is just gorgeous!

katushka

Rough_Rock
I know I'm late but I have to say that's the prettiest stone ever—I keep staring at the images! Does anyone cut new stones that look like it, like an AVR variation? It's just amazing.

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Hi Yenny! Quietly and patiently waiting for an update on this exquisite stone and its home! :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been wondering too! Any news?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see the final product!!!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
Any updates on the setting? I'm sure whichever you go (or have gone), that stone will look amazing!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It's almost complete. I actually have it in my hands (got it yesterday), but there were a couple of components that I wasn't in love with and wanted changed, but Ari suggested that I see the ring in person before he makes any changes. I wore it all day yesterday and still feel that I want the changes made, so it's going back to SS. Once it's done, you know I'll post plenty of photos!

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I'm on pins and needles waiting. I'm so in love with this stone and I just know the final product is going to knock my socks off. Sorry a couple of details were off, but I'm glad you sent it back and am sure that the next time it's on your hand, it will be perfect! Can't wait!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks NEL. This is my first custom piece and I've learned quite a few things. Ari has been wonderful about sending me photos at every step of the way, but they are so magnified (so that I could see the detail), I was shocked (in a good way!) by how delicate the setting was in person. I loved the photos of the setting that Ari and I decided to move forward with, but once my stone was set, the angles on it were different than the inspiration ring because of the different dimensions between the stones. It totally changed the look for me. Thirdly, I went for a solitaire with some detail on the shank and have decided that it makes my fingers look even pudgier than they are. :errrr:

So, the ring is on it's way back to Ari (who has the patience of a saint!). His (wise) suggestion is that he's going to send me a couple of rings with similar sized stones to mine that show what the tweaks we're discussing would look like, so that I can get a sense of finger coverage, angles, etc. and we'll go from there. I cannot rave enough about Ari. He is absolutely amazing. He listens incredibly well (hearing both what's being said and what's not being said), offers honest feedback ("I'm not sure you'd like that" or "I'm not sure that will enhance your stone, how about this?"), without devaluing my opinion and has never once been impatient with me. He gets what a big decision this is and that this is not a small amount of $$ for us to be spending. He's amazing and I hope that I can meet him in person someday!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see handshots when it comes back :)

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't been to the forum in forever and I come to this post and see the most beauuuuutiful oval I have ever ever seen! Holy cow Yenny, I am in love, love, LOVE with your diamond! I can hardly wait to see pics of it done.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I'm so happy for you that you're having such a great experience with SS. I can't wait to see you new ring. I saw this SS setting on 1stdibs, and thought of you:

singlestone_14carataqua.jpg

LGK

Ideal_Rock
May I just say I somehow missed this lovely (I think you were contemplating it while I was taking a bit of a few week break awhile ago). And good lord! What a gorgeous, gorgeous rarity. An E color, oval shaped OMC? Whoa! I'm seriously drooling. Amazing find! I'd take this one in a heartbeat over your old, modern cut larger stone. For sure! You did so good :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks LGK, that means an awful lot, coming from you!

Pregcurious, that is a gorgeous ring! Wow! SS has so many amazing pieces!

MDS, thanks so much! I am in love with this stone too. Seeing it set took my breath away and it KILLED me to put it back in the mail, even though I know I am going to get my dream ring back when this is all said and done!

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yenny-this is one of the most unique and beautiful old cuts I have ever seen. I adore it, and I cannot wait to see it set. Sorry I am late to this thread-I've been missing out! Just wow. Yah, SS has some fantastic and creative pieces-a great fit for your stunning stone. When will the ring be ready?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Coati, I am flattered. If it weren't for PS and the wonderful folks here, I wouldn't have realized what a gorgeous and rare stone it was in the first place (I'd never even SEEN an antique stone when I arrived here)! I have the couple of settings that Ari sent me and have pretty much figured it out, but Ari and I will talk on Monday and I'll get an estimate as to the eta then. I'll keep you posted! I'm getting so excited!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results