shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me decide how to set my new OMB oval stone

Cluless

Brilliant_Rock
here is the same setting(I think lol) with an oval and I threw in this other one just because

NLR071124.jpg

imagesCA3RW3U4.jpg

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone, go for a solitaire! I loved my halo but am glad when I upgraded that I went with a solitaire setting.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone. I vote the SingleStone.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
thanks lovemybling, I really like the settings you posted, though I do prefer the Singlestone that's in the collage....

thank you so much cokitty, I got the stone through my local jeweler, who has a relationship with Diamond and estate trust in CA.

OCmom-I like the idea of half moons, but am afraid that it will look too similar to my other ring and hence "too much" for me

lknvrb4-I really like the look of a solitaire on some people, just not on me...I don't think it does much for my hand. That's what makes this so hard...finding the right balance that I'll be comfortable with....aarrgghhhh!!

Brightice, I'm leaning towards the SS setting....I do think it would only enhance the stone...

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and opinions, I really appreciate it!

pixies

Shiny_Rock
I think you need to fly out to Single Stone and play in their jewelry box :naughty: ! You never know what design may strike you until you try them on. That'd be my vote, to get the whole experience. I know you have little ones though so that may not be feasible but it'd be a blast.

I also recommend checking out http://jewelry.1stdibs.com/jewelry_search.php?FRID=ZWWcaGo%3D

Single Stone has some of their available rings listed with bigger pictures and more view points in the above link.

Also 23rd Street Jewelers is in LA as well (if you made it out there). They have a lot of halos with different types of shanks.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks pixies, I didn't know about that link to SS settings. I'd love to head out there, but it's not likely anytime soon. Boo hoo...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe something like this, just pretend it's an oval?

Solitaire setting head.JPG

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kinda close to an oval.

zwfstullerring.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks packrat! I love setting that the blue stone is in (sorry, not a colored stone expert....is it blue topaz, blue zircon or aquamarine or none of the above?)!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful stone!!! Personally, I would go with something simple, probably with a thin band to just really showcase the stone. Whatever you decide, can't wait to see the finished product!!

cokitty

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yennyfire! I do so enjoy that faceting pattern, I think if it were me I would go for a more clean lined setting...I think it could very easily look busy or get lost. Perhaps a classic solitaire or a very simple three stone? Personally I would avoid the pave and or too much engraved it could end up drowning out what makes that stone so lovely to start with.

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock
cokitty|1307747657|2942920 said:
Yennyfire! I do so enjoy that faceting pattern, I think if it were me I would go for a more clean lined setting...I think it could very easily look busy or get lost. Perhaps a classic solitaire or a very simple three stone? Personally I would avoid the pave and or too much engraved it could end up drowning out what makes that stone so lovely to start with.

I kind of feel the same... Though I'm a huge fan of antique rings and settings and it would certainly look amazing in a SS stone setting.
But it's such an amazing stone, whatever setting I picked, even if it had elaborate detailing, I'd keep the oval the star of the show.

It's gorgeous, whatever you pick I can't wait to see it!

rubyprincess

Shiny_Rock
Yenny! I thought of you as I browsed Erica's blog on rose cut diamonds a moment ago. Your stone would look glorious in this setting!
rose-cut-diamond-ring-norman-covan_1.jpg ...a DREAMY oval, in a gorgeous but very subtle halo, slender shank...wow! :love:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
rubyprincess|1307758769|2943033 said:
Yenny! I thought of you as I browsed Erica's blog on rose cut diamonds a moment ago. Your stone would look glorious in this setting!
rose-cut-diamond-ring-norman-covan_1.jpg ...a DREAMY oval, in a gorgeous but very subtle halo, slender shank...wow! :love:
Love it. That is beautiful!!!! :love:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Cluless|1307676371|2942265 said:
here is the same setting(I think lol) with an oval and I threw in this other one just because

I :love: :love: :love: this singlestone setting!!!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock

That's really gorgeous!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My hesitation is that I think if you go with a halo, you will find yourself in the same position you were in with the other ring. Too blingy for an everyday, casual lifestyle. So I'd go with one of the more simple Singlestone settings.

MizNina

Shiny_Rock

Absolutely perfect IMO :))

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
If you ever come out to LA and want someone to keep you company at Single Stone I'd love to go. I was browsing GOG on youtube, saw this stunning oval and thought of you. It's not an OMB oval but the Tacori mounting is so pretty, it has an antique feel to it, and the halo is very subtle.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DiamondInfoMan#p/u/34/_lKKURtE_PI

Can't wait to see what you eventually decide on.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SandyCheeks|1307772518|2943121 said:
If you ever come out to LA and want someone to keep you company at Single Stone I'd love to go. I was browsing GOG on youtube, saw this stunning oval and thought of you. It's not an OMB oval but the Tacori mounting is so pretty, it has an antique feel to it, and the halo is very subtle.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DiamondInfoMan#p/u/34/_lKKURtE_PI

Can't wait to see what you eventually decide on.

SandyCheeks, that ring is sooo gorgeous it hurts to look at it! :love: :twirl:

Yenny, I'm late in congratulating you but huba huba :love: :love: :love: , your new oval is absolutely TDF!! I'm soooooo happy for you! :appl: Can't wait to see what you decide with the setting.

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
I think I would go for a solitaire, and keep the detail on the shank. A halo will make it larger than it already is - and it already LARGE! - and I think you will have the same problem you had with your previous ring. I would not do substantial sidestones either - you could do a bit of detailed work/melee on the sides, but I think that if you have any stones of any heft it will feel chunky and non-"everyday" for what you want.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Rats, I had typed a long response and my pc (which was supposedly fixed!) decided to shut down all by itself! Grrrrr....

Thanks to everyone for your input. I really appreciate it, though it's not really making the decision any easier, lol!

Thanks joflier! I'll add another check mark in the "keep it simple" camp....

Thank you maplefemme...what are you planning to do with your gorgeous new antique stone??

Phoenix, I can't wait to see you next asscher...the one you just got is gorgeous!

Sparkly Blonde, if I were going to get a solitaire, it would be the JBEG Julia. It's gorgeous, though I'm not convinced that I'd be happy with a solitaire.

Rubyprincess, that oval in a rose cut diamond halo is gorgeous and the kind of feel I was trying to get to in #1 and #2 in the collage...it is truly gorgeous!

Sandycheeks, that rose gold Tacori is stunning! I love the ajour in the gallery!

Gypsy, the LM that you postsed is lovely and a definite contender if I decide to go a more simple route. I think it's a nice balance of simple (or simpler) but with some of the milgrain and detail that I am drawn to

Cokitty, you make some good points. Obviously, I want to showcase the stone and I want a setting that I love. I'm just not sure what the best balance is for me.

Pancake, what do you think of the Julia solitaire? Is there another one you'd recommend?

I am so torn about what to do. I don't want to get into the same mess as before, but I am not nearly as attracted to solitaires as I am to settings with a bit more detail...I don't want to take away from the beauty of the stone either. I will not have the luxury of changing the setting if I don't like what I select. It's just not in the budget. DH has been so generous in putting up with all of my antics. Whatever I get has to be my forever setting. I am so tired of feeling unsure of what I want, thinking that I've found it and then realizing that I've missed the mark. Maybe I should have moved to NYC or LA where my ring would have blended in just fine. :lol:

pancake

Brilliant_Rock
Yenny - I quite like the Julia but it sounds like a plain solitaire isn't going to cut it for you. What about something like Kelpie's incredible SS setting with the draped leaf-style detailing on the sides? It would not take away from your spectacular stone, would provide some detail and delicate sparkle but wouldn't be too chunky and cause the same problem as your previous ring. The other option is just to start a dialogue with Ari at SS - they have so much experience with large antique stones and the "SS eye" for different antique styles and proportions is pretty much impeccable (well, I think it is anyway!).

The other thing that I think will make your ring more wearable is keeping the profile low and fluid. From memory your previous three-stone was quite high and squared and I think that also makes it "stand up" more.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pancake, I think you hit the nail on the head. I hadn't realized that one of the reasons my ring "stood out" so much was because it was so high. Once you said it, the light kind of went on. I'll look for kelpie's setting (I'm pretty sure I know which one it is, but want to make sure). I think having a conversation with Ari at this point makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion. I always feel like I'm bothering the "masters", but I guess the only way to get what I want is to talk about it with someone with a great eye and lots of experience.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a wonderful dilemma, Yenny. I love so many of the settings, your stone would look fantastic in any of them. I love the one
Gypsy posted.

When I was choosing and going through what you are now, I asked myself this question: 10 years from now, when I picture this ring
on my hand what do I see? I came up with a solitaire with pave. Kinda dumb but it worked for me. Although there is still part of me
that longs for a halo, so maybe it didn't work THAT well! :twirl: :twirl:

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1307794844|2943192 said:
Pancake, I think you hit the nail on the head. I hadn't realized that one of the reasons my ring "stood out" so much was because it was so high. Once you said it, the light kind of went on. I'll look for kelpie's setting (I'm pretty sure I know which one it is, but want to make sure). I think having a conversation with Ari at this point makes sense. Thanks for the suggestion. I always feel like I'm bothering the "masters", but I guess the only way to get what I want is to talk about it with someone with a great eye and lots of experience.

Yenny: What kind of band do you plan on wearing with it do you think? I really think that really will help determine what kind of setting you should go with. If you want to be able to wear a bigger eternity band (like a 5 stone OEC or something) a halo might be to much. But if you plan on having a simpler solitaire and change up the bands that would work too.

I'd also see if they'll do some drawings for you. Considering the piece is more of a work of art than anything I think giving them elements that you love and letting them kinda go with it and maybe tweek their ideas will probably come up with something that will blow our minds (kinda like the first time we saw the french cut rings...well every time I see them lol)

ETA: I really think the stone would look AWESOME in the WF Leon lotus setting. Halo or no halo that beautiful oval would look beautiful as a "flower"
https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/lotus-diamond-engagement-ring-by-leon-mege-1244.htm

https://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/lotus-halo-diamond-engagement-ring-1357.htm

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's a good question vintagelover. I'd like to be able to wear a band of some kind with whatever I chose. Nothing too much...though I do love the bands with the alternating oec/french cuts....too many things to consider. The lotus is pretty, but not my cup of tea.

LTS, I have no idea when I picture my hand in 10 years what I see on it. Several different rings flash through the picture in my head. Aarrrgghhh!

My parents just came over to wish DH a Happy Birthday and saw the stone and the settings I'm looking at. They both strongly disliked the halo-ish settings, including the Singlestone one. They both agree that something simple to set off the oval is best, though they didn't think a solitaire was right either. I value their opinions, as they've rarely steered me wrong. They both liked the LM setting with the 3 marquise stones on either side or the oval with half moons, so now I'm more confused than ever. :roll: :???:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks to Gypsy, lovemybling, rubyprincess and my parents input on keeping it simple, here are the final contenders (I think...can someone slap me out of my indecisiveness please!):

This setting, with half moons...I couldn't figure out how to save and insert the photo, my apologies....
[URL='http://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/bad-pricescoper-fantastic-avc-lm-creation-t161471..']http://www.pricescope.com/forum/show-me-the-ring/bad-pricescoper-fantastic-avc-lm-creation-t161471....[/URL].

3marquis.jpg

NLR071129Singlestone.jpg

delicate%20halo.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results