shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me choose an ACA!

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I found a local jeweler who has a GIA 1.7 K and a 2 carat J (not well cut and both in the 2.7 HCA range) she said I could compare with their higher colors. WF said the J and this K were very very close. I couldn't find a white wedding band I liked with the white gold knife edge. I am considering setting the stone (The ACA K or I) in this setting to match my current wedding bands. I wonder if I could get away with the K if I set it in a rose gold setting like this:
https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...dge-solitaire-engagement-ring-4676.htm#size=6 or

https://www.whiteflash.com/engageme...ine-solitaire-engagement-ring-4598.htm#size=6

For the white solitaire look I'm going for, I definitely wouldn't put the K in a halo to emphasize the warmer stone and white melees!

I was inspired by this ring with a 1.258 K: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-wonderful-e-ring-upgrade-thankyou.89827/

Do you think the tint is due to lighting or the K color? It is a gorgeous ring but if the K I'm looking at will look that tinted in person (keep in mind, the 2.3 K is much larger), I'm not sure that I would be able to handle that.

When I switched my GIA 1.6 H from the rose gold to white gold setting (plat prongs), the stone looked icy white and looked like a different stone. Each stone is such a chameleon that I don't know if it's even worth looking at the local GIA J and K's.

Last edited:

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Do you think a 2 carat AGS I color would look whiter in rose gold with white prongs or full white metal setting?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many, many people here have AGS I color stone in all platinum, including myself. These stones face up pretty white especially I and above. But as I said before, there are happy J owners with platinum settings, as well. I'd always use white prongs on a solitaire for most diamonds on the whiter end of the scale. I think you should choose the shank metal based on what you'd like your set to look like, because I color is fine with any color shank.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm deciding between keeping my original white gold knife edge with platinum prongs or a rose gold with white gold head setting. Platinum prongs on the rose gold setting is $200 more. I am planning to upgrade size in the next 2 years and will probably need to have the head replaced. Do you think I should just go with the white gold head or get the platinum one anyway for durability?

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My lovely WF rep said color was hard to capture in pictures but the 2.3 I color is a middle-of-the-road I color in person. There's a slight color difference face up between the 2.3 I color and the 2.3 K color and a noticeable color difference from the side. Both are eye clean face up at 10". The K is cleaner under magnification, but to the eye at 10", there is no difference between the two with regard to eye clean appearance.

0-3.jpg 0-2.jpg

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not easy.. I sill really like the 2.065 I SI1 even though it’s the smallest stone. But you need to decide which one attracts your eyes.

I would reuse your WG setting and have a WG head, no need for Plat especially if you will upgrade the stone in the near future. I personally also dislike the color difference between wg and plat so I wouldn’t want to have both metals mixed on one ring. WG is a strong metal.

JT123

Shiny_Rock
I'm deciding between keeping my original white gold knife edge with platinum prongs or a rose gold with white gold head setting. Platinum prongs on the rose gold setting is $200 more. I am planning to upgrade size in the next 2 years and will probably need to have the head replaced. Do you think I should just go with the white gold head or get the platinum one anyway for durability?
Magen recommended I go with platinum, more durable, so that's what I used on my diamond.(that I just returned) I heard it's harder to reset a platinum head? Hopefully someone can confirm that! Since you will change out the head in a few years anyway & it's cheaper ,can you just use white gold for now?

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agh. I do like the white metal knife edge Tiffany style on its own (like my avatar) but I didn't like it paired with my original rose gold wedding band and rose gold pave band, which I intend to wear.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I like the bigger stone (middle) and it has a small table too. It is a safer bet at an I (although only a slight diference in colour between the I and K). If you can afford it, then go bigger :wavey:

JT123

Shiny_Rock
Agh. I do like the white metal knife edge Tiffany style on its own (like my avatar) but I didn't like it paired with my original rose gold wedding band and rose gold pave band, which I intend to wear.

I LOVE mixing metals, heard it's really "in" right now .Do you prefer a matching set? Do you like WG or RG better?
I can't wait to get a RG eternity band to stack with my new platnium ring and plantnium wedding band.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too liked the 2.065 but if I were set on going bigger, I'd have to do the I - providing there are no eye clean issues there for you. The K is a K and there will be a difference face up - no matter how slight. From the side, as the rep said, it will be noticeable. There are folks that buy and love a K color stone but for you coming from an H and already questioning the color, I'd be very hesitant. The only other thing you might consider is to wait a bit and see what else comes along.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I think I'm going to get one of the I's. I'm waiting to hear back from WF to see which I is whiter but I'm leaning towards the 2.3 because it's the size I've wanted for a while.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you hold out and wait for a J in your preferred size? J is a great value, very white, but more 'mind clean' than a K. I have owned many well-cut Js over the years and loved every one.

That said, I'm not color sensitive, and the K in the pic looks really white to me. Wouldn't bother me one bit, but I understand it might you.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you hold out and wait for a J in your preferred size? J is a great value, very white, but more 'mind clean' than a K. I have owned many well-cut Js over the years and loved every one.

That said, I'm not color sensitive, and the K in the pic looks really white to me. Wouldn't bother me one bit, but I understand it might you.
I'd like to have it by Mother's Day. :geek2:

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m going with this one!

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3980393.htm

My lovely WF rep said the 2.065 and 2.3 I color were the same middle of the road I color and both are eye clean so I decided to go for the big one! It will be set in my classic Tiffany-style knife edge white gold setting with a new platinum head and tiny tabbed prongs.

This upgrade was a year in the works and it’s actually happening now! Going from 7.5mm to 8.6mm, woot woot! :razz:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m going with this one!

My lovely WF rep said the 2.065 and 2.3 I color were the same middle of the road I color and both are eye clean so I decided to go for the big one! It will be set in my classic Tiffany-style knife edge white gold setting with a new platinum head and tiny tabbed prongs.

This upgrade was a year in the works and it’s actually happening now! Going from 7.5mm to 8.6mm, woot woot! :razz:

Yayyy! :appl:I'm so excited for you, it's going to be gorgeous!! We expect a zillion pics once you get it :P2

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I’m going with this one!

Fantastic choice. Congratulations. Eye clean, small table (divine) and great size to boot. :appl:

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I’m so excited!

Which head should I choose for the knife edge shank? WF says this one closely resembles my current head:
29F1EACB-18BE-4CF9-B181-F2C4B11F586A.jpeg

And this is the one they use for their knife edge:

BD71BB67-8E97-4DC4-989C-2885F61FA6CE.jpeg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your choice! I personally prefer the first head you posted but it's really about which one speaks to you. Can't wait to see your finished ring!

mk206

Rough_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!! I love the first head.

kmoro

Brilliant_Rock
Just chiming in that I prefer the curvy look of the second head! Haha :wall:

Not sure if my eyes are deceiving me, but to me it looks like the second picture has a smaller diamond ... I doubt that’s why some prefer the first pic, but on the off-chance, I am pointing it out ... could just be me and my perception is off ....

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Of course, I found my rose gold setting that had been missing right after I placed my order today.

1.6 in the rose gold setting:

IMG_0588.jpg

I have some time to solidify my setting choice but I found a 2.3 stone in my setting online, same finger size (pic is yellow gold, mine is rose). The knife edge is 2.3mm and the rose gold is 1.9mm which I think would really make the diamond POP! Plus it would match my wedding bands. I would do 6 prongs, though.

photo-2.png photo.png

The tiffany knife edge elevates the diamond and made my GIA H look much whiter.

IMG_8943.jpg

I've always been between these two settings. I love them both so much! I guess I can wear one setting for a while and eventually switch to the other.

Last edited:

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After much deliberation, I've decided to go with my rose gold setting because it will match my original wedding bands. The shank has been resized and ready for its new stone!

My wonderful hubby gave my ring budget a milestone birthday and Mother's Day boost. My current order is the 2.3 I SI1 https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3980393.htm and I have the opportunity to hit the 2.5 mark with this 2.5 I SI1: https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4113564.htm

My saintly rep said both stones are equal in body color. From the top view the 2.3 is a bit brighter but she does not attribute this to body color. The size difference is appreciable to the naked eye but not drastic (I am sure I will notice the difference between 8.6mm and 8.85mm in person). As far as sparkle, both have very nice, edge to edge sparkle with bold flashes of light return. :love:

I prefer the overall look and shape of the 2.3 from the video but the 2.5 is my size goal. Which one do you like? I am so ready to have this ring on my finger.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If 2.5 is your size goal, then ask yourself if the specs of this 2.5 stone would work as your ultimate diamond. It seems it would be more cost effective to move up to the larger diamond at this point rather than having the setting reworked again later. You just have to make sure that the diamond itself is what you want. Course, you could always trade again for another 2.5 stone without having to redo the setting again - choices, choices! I'm not much help I guess!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Enjoyed reading your journey! Congratulations on getting to this stage!

I prefer the plot of the larger one. And the fact that it's larger. It has a slightly larger table but within the spectrum of ACAs that's splitting hairs and some might argue that it would help with face up white appearance.

What do the reps think of things like eye clean etc? Does she have an explanation for why the larger one isn't as bright? Can she send you side-by-side pictures?

If you have the comfortable budget to get your size goal one as your first option I would go for it, rather than getting the 2.3, and then having to size up later and having to change the head again etc.

I know it's frustrating to wait to figure this out when you thought you were there, but it is worth the time.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If budget allows go for the size you want now. ACAs are beautiful and I don't believe the small differences will be very noticeable. Settings, labor, and shipping can be costly. If you go for the larger stone, it will cost less in the long run. Maybe it will stave off DSS for a minute or two! :lol-2:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with others - I'd get to your size goal now! The 2.5 stone is cleaner than the 2.3 from the pics but I would still ask WF for some side by side comparison pics. You could always swap for a similar size stone down the line with upgraded specs and at least you wouldn't have to worry about a new head/ring. Super sweet and generous of your hubby! Happy birthday and mother's day! =)2

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I'm waiting for a comparison of the two stones. The thing is, my original diamond had a 57% table and 80 LGF so an ACA with a smaller table and chunkier arrows/bolder flashes of light instead of glints would be amazing! I know other factors affect the stone's performance so I'll wait to see the visuals. Here are the profiles for now.

2.3 :geek2:
Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 9.57.27 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-09 at 9.57.33 AM.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results