shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me choose an ACA!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
2.5!!! It's cleaner and 60.6 depth gives it nice diameter! I like it better than the 2.3 which was not clean enough for me. I LOVE the rose gold with the plat head!!!:love:

I may be totally confused here, but if you go with the 2.5, would that be a long term or forever size?? Because in that case, I'd get a new rose gold Tiff. knife edge repro setting with platinum head rather than trying to add a new head on your old setting (if that's what you were doing...haven't read every post).

L

lydial

Hi, Not to confuse you any more (especially about color) but I found this pop up on whiteflash and it is almost "too good to be true" price-wise for a 2.6+ ct ACA SI1 with twinning wisps as the primary clarity feature (and they are off to the side!) - but it is a "K". And you could save your spare 6+ K from the hubby for something like a 4 carat tennis bracelet (just sayin')....

As the new owner of a 2.66 ct K from CBI I can say the color does not bother me, and I love it, but I am not "color sensitive". Also I just would not be sure a WF ACA "K" looks as bright as a CBI "K" which apparently they use magic or something to make them so beautiful.

So I doubt it is quite as striking, but they could be pretty darn close! Anyway... for the VERY LOW price, you may want to look at this diamond too... I am pretty sure if this showed up before I bought the CBI I would have bought it. But now that I have the CBI I don't know if I could go to something else.

https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4113565.htm

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2.5!!! It's cleaner and 60.6 depth gives it nice diameter! I like it better than the 2.3 which was not clean enough for me. I LOVE the rose gold with the plat head!!!:love:

I may be totally confused here, but if you go with the 2.5, would that be a long term or forever size?? Because in that case, I'd get a new rose gold Tiff. knife edge repro setting with platinum head rather than trying to add a new head on your old setting (if that's what you were doing...haven't read every post).

It’s a huge size but let’s not say forever :lol-2:. I’m going with either one of my 2 existing settings because I love them both and can imagine switching to the other after some time. :razz:

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi, Not to confuse you any more (especially about color) but I found this pop up on whiteflash and it is almost "too good to be true" price-wise for a 2.6+ ct ACA SI1 with twinning wisps as the primary clarity feature (and they are off to the side!) - but it is a "K". And you could save your spare 6+ K from the hubby for something like a 4 carat tennis bracelet (just sayin')....

As the new owner of a 2.66 ct K from CBI I can say the color does not bother me, and I love it, but I am not "color sensitive". Also I just would not be sure a WF ACA "K" looks as bright as a CBI "K" which apparently they use magic or something to make them so beautiful.

So I doubt it is quite as striking, but they could be pretty darn close! Anyway... for the VERY LOW price, you may want to look at this diamond too... I am pretty sure if this showed up before I bought the CBI I would have bought it. But now that I have the CBI I don't know if I could go to something else.

Hi lydial,

Thanks for the link! I love the specs of the stone but want to stay as close to H color as possible as that was the color of my original diamond. I’m sure that huge K will make someone very happy!

Congratulations on your new CBI. I’m sure it’s a knockout in person!

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ahh, I don’t know what to do. I like the look of the 2.3 but the size of the 2.5 makes me go :love:. We will be picking up the ring while we are on vacation out of state and can take advantage of tax savings. So if I purchase the more expensive one, we would save more. I could trade it in for a similarly priced 2.5 with a smaller table if it comes along and keep the existing head.

Or I can enjoy the 2.3, its tiny table and fire and exchange it for a larger 2.5 with a smaller table when it comes around. A new head is just $175. It’s not as if the 2.5 is a super great deal that I should take advantage of now. It’s $4k more.

Another thing to consider is that I am very comfortable with the size of the 2.3 and with my existing setting, I think I can pull off a discrete upgrade and gently ease into the 2.5. If I go from a 1.6 straight to a spready 2.5 that is bordering on 9mm, I know I will get some attention from some annoying in-laws that I don’t want. I know I should not care but I do. Maybe I can go from a 1.6 to a 2.3 and ease into a 2.5.

I like the 2.5 but am just not in love with THAT one. Did I mention I’m drawn to the look of the 2.3? Agh!

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Erase all the extraneous stuff with the in-laws and the settings etc. for the time being. They won’t know a 2.3 from a 2.5 and surely wouldn’t know the price difference. In a year from now, none of that will matter anyway.
Choose the diamond that you love and don’t let anything else color the decision but that one fact. You can always trade up if you choose to so it is not like all is lost if you go with the smaller stone. I am assuming that you like the specs of the 2.3 better than the 2.5 - or are you just going by what you know about the differences or the looks? Your best instincts will tell you which you would really rather have so best advice is to listen to what your gut tells you is best for you.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Erase all the extraneous stuff with the in-laws and the settings etc. for the time being. They won’t know a 2.3 from a 2.5 and surely wouldn’t know the price difference. In a year from now, none of that will matter anyway.
Choose the diamond that you love and don’t let anything else color the decision but that one fact. You can always trade up if you choose to so it is not like all is lost if you go with the smaller stone. I am assuming that you like the specs of the 2.3 better than the 2.5 - or are you just going by what you know about the differences or the looks? Your best instincts will tell you which you would really rather have so best advice is to listen to what your gut tells you is best for you.
Yeah.

I like the way the 2.3 looks face up, the tall crown and small table, AND my rep said it faces up brighter. I am drawn to that one in the pictures and videos. I’m not even that bothered that it’s not super clean (it’s eye clean). The only thing I like about the 2.5 is the size. Otherwise, that baby would have been mine yesterday. I want to make the 2.5 work due to the size but it kind of makes my back hurt. :knockout:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

An appropriately graded K is an appropriately graded K. There is no magic in cutting diamonds - just skill. CBI diamonds are beautiful and I wouldn't hesitate to own one but for folks that have and enjoy ACA diamonds, I am sure that they don't feel that they bought something inferior. I think this statement is unfair and misleading on many levels.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah.

I like the way the 2.3 looks face up, the tall crown and small table, AND my rep said it faces up brighter. I am drawn to that one in the pictures and videos. I’m not even that bothered that it’s not super clean (it’s eye clean). The only thing I like about the 2.5 is the size. Otherwise, that baby would have been mine yesterday. I want to make the 2.5 work due to the size but it kind of makes my back hurt. :knockout:

Then get the stone that really speaks to you. Upgrades in size are always out there and available to you, however, things can change in life and you could end up with what you choose today for a long while. Just make sure that you purchase a diamond that will make you happy. If size were your only criteria, it would be a different story. I think choosing what you consider as quality trumps the additional size - for now anyway!!

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The 2.3's tiny table and tall crown draws my eye every time. The 2.387 is practically a 2.4 - that is plenty large on a 4.75 finger! I can always upgrade in size but for now, I think my desire to experience an ACA with a 54.9% table and a tall crown trumps the extra size.

I can always upgrade. :D

Last edited:

mk206

Rough_Rock
Premium
It sounds like decision made then! Yayyyy!!! Welcome to the I-SI1 club! I just upgraded to my second I-SI1 (I have yet to make a post about it due to my terrible diamond photo taking skills...) and it is beautiful! It is clear your heart is really drawn to this 2.3 (*almost* 2.4!) and I think you should go with your heart! There’s always something to gain with a future upgrade, but as @MissGotRocks noted above, you should choose the stone that makes your heart happy now. :) excited for you and excited to see how it looks when set!!!

Last edited:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's going to be huge on your finger! My daughter wears a 4.25 to 4.5 and my 8.4mm stone is HUGE on her. Sorry I misunderstood the setting situation! Either one would be a great choice!

L

lydial

An appropriately graded K is an appropriately graded K. There is no magic in cutting diamonds - just skill. CBI diamonds are beautiful and I wouldn't hesitate to own one but for folks that have and enjoy ACA diamonds, I am sure that they don't feel that they bought something inferior. I think this statement is unfair and misleading on many levels.

Sorry, no offense meant. At all! As I said I would have bought that big K ACA if timing was right, but I will not give up the one I did buy because it is, well, incredible! I am SURE a high color ACA is to die for. I would be curious if a low color ACA can knock out a CBI.

OP is getting a gorgeous diamond with either the 2.3 or 2.5!

I want to eventually buy an ACA tennis bracelet as soon as I have the ability to. It will be “lower” color probably... Just because!

I do think the CBI cutters go to very great lengths to “hide” tint using angles and geometry, so you are right the magic wands are left at home.

Nothing at all “inferior “ about any ACA but the tint may (or may not) be more visible when you are looking at J/K. But I have never seen them side to side. I am sure folks here have, though!

I personally have 2 new K stones, one looks much brighter and whiter (CBI), matches the “G” baguette side stones perfectly; one looks more tinted in the “E” halo it lives in (that little K is a GIA triple X from Fourmine, E’s are 10 pt Tiffany branded ideal mele from my original chunky channel wedding ring...)...

I plan to do a post on how different they look once they come back from the jeweler (setting shank adjustments)...

Best wishes, sorry to sound snobby. Remember, I am going for size and beauty :) and some of us here aren’t millionaires (again, no offense to those who are!) so those of us who want a bigger stone may dip to lower color.... again, just pointing out I have no idea how it would stack up.

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry, no offense meant. At all! As I said I would have bought that big K ACA if timing was right, but I will not give up the one I did buy because it is, well, incredible! I am SURE a high color ACA is to die for. I would be curious if a low color ACA can knock out a CBI.

OP is getting a gorgeous diamond with either the 2.3 or 2.5!

I want to eventually buy an ACA tennis bracelet as soon as I have the ability to. It will be “lower” color probably... Just because!

I do think the CBI cutters go to very great lengths to “hide” tint using angles and geometry, so you are right the magic wands are left at home.

Nothing at all “inferior “ about any ACA but the tint may (or may not) be more visible when you are looking at J/K. But I have never seen them side to side. I am sure folks here have, though!

I personally have 2 new K stones, one looks much brighter and whiter (CBI), matches the “G” baguette side stones perfectly; one looks more tinted in the “E” halo it lives in (that little K is a GIA triple X from Fourmine, E’s are 10 pt Tiffany branded ideal mele from my original chunky channel wedding ring...)...

I plan to do a post on how different they look once they come back from the jeweler (setting shank adjustments)...

Best wishes, sorry to sound snobby. Remember, I am going for size and beauty :) and some of us here aren’t millionaires (again, no offense to those who are!) so those of us who want a bigger stone may dip to lower color.... again, just pointing out I have no idea how it would stack up.

Thank you for linking the lovely ACA K, @lydial! I appreciate you taking the time to recommend a stone that fits my budget and desired size. :wavey:

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's going to be huge on your finger! My daughter wears a 4.25 to 4.5 and my 8.4mm stone is HUGE on her. Sorry I misunderstood the setting situation! Either one would be a great choice!
So excited! My Tiffany knife edge is 2.2-2.3mm and the rose gold shank is 1.9mm so the thin rose gold shank will hopefully make the stone pop! I'm deciding between tabs and claw prongs. WF did such a sexy job on the claws on my 1.6:
unnamed-3.jpg

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It sounds like decision made then! Yayyyy!!! Welcome to the I-SI1 club! I just upgraded to my second I-SI1 (I have yet to make a post about it due to my terrible diamond photo taking skills...) and it is beautiful! It is clear your heart is really drawn to this 2.3 (*almost* 2.4!) and I think you should go with your heart! There’s always something to gain with a future upgrade, but as @MissGotRocks noted above, you should choose the stone that makes your heart happy now. :) excited for you and excited to see how it looks when set!!!
Thank you so much @mk206! I just revisited your 1.55 I SI1 thread and your ring is gorgeous! The setting is absolutely lovely! What did you upgrade to?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So excited! My Tiffany knife edge is 2.2-2.3mm and the rose gold shank is 1.9mm so the thin rose gold shank will hopefully make the stone pop! I'm deciding between tabs and claw prongs. WF did such a sexy job on the claws on my 1.6:
unnamed-3.jpg

Trust me, I adore the rose gold! But that diamond is going to appear huge on either shank! 2.2 is thin with a 2.4 ct diamond! I'd go with claw prongs on the rose gold or tabs on the knife edge.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Honestly, follow your gut. If your gut says ~2.4 and you get the 2.5 you'll always wonder.

Congratulations on making an awesome choice!

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Honestly, follow your gut. If your gut says ~2.4 and you get the 2.5 you'll always wonder.
A
Congratulations on making an awesome choice!
Thanks, @Lykame! I don't know how it manifests for you but following my gut takes the form of getting a backache whenever I want something to work out but something is inconveniently off. The last time I got it, I pulled my young daughter out of a "good" school with the "cool" parents after we had already committed. I went with my gut and put her in a less popular school. She has been thriving and we couldn't be happier with our decision and never looked back. Obviously, jewelry is 1000000x less important but the reality is, this ring is a year's worth of tuition and is no small purchase!

As @mrs-b said when reflecting on her decades long diamond journey, there are no forever diamonds and warns not to fall into the trap of, "If I don't do it now (i.e., just get the big one), it's never going to happen!" I am all about size but something's telling me that the 2.387 is where I need to land right now. I'm super excited to see it in person and will of course post a million pics. :kiss2:

Thank you all so much for your assistance and insight!

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, @Lykame! I don't know how it manifests for you but following my gut takes the form of getting a backache whenever I want something to work out but something is inconveniently off. The last time I got it, I pulled my young daughter out of a "good" school with the "cool" parents after we had already committed. I went with my gut and put her in a less popular school. She has been thriving and we couldn't be happier with our decision and never looked back. Obviously, jewelry is 1000000x less important but the reality is, this ring is a year's worth of tuition and is no small purchase!

As @mrs-b said when reflecting on her decades long diamond journey, there are no forever diamonds and warns not to fall into the trap of, "If I don't do it now (i.e., just get the big one), it's never going to happen!" I am all about size but something's telling me that the 2.387 is where I need to land right now. I'm super excited to see it in person and will of course post a million pics. :kiss2:

That's really interesting about the backache. For me it's just an intractable anxiety. Like unhappy butterflies in the pit of my stomach. I'm generally (unfortunately) a bit of an anxious person anyway, but there's definitely a difference - if something is right, my anxiety soothes with logic. Clearly your gut is good quality! :lol: So listen to it. And @mrs-b is well known for her very wise words, all worth listening to.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh aren't you sweet! Not decades,tho - decades and DECADES! :mrgreen:

I've been following this thread but staying quiet. I think @SimoneDi gave you some excellent advice early on re color, and I'm with @diamondseeker2006 all the way on my personal color preference for MRBs being different to OECs.

I think you've chosen a beautiful diamond and your ring will be STUNNING. And I love the size. Your 2.4 (rounding on size here) will probably look larger than my 3.05ct on my size 7 finger, and will be truly opulent!

Personally, I'm glad you went with the I, rather than something warmer. I've always been color sensitive, but even so - you don't need to be that color sensitive to see the color difference between a K colored center stone (for example) and an F/G colored diamond band worn with it. If I'm going to pay that much money for something, it needs to fit comfortably into my diamond family and be ready and willing to mix and match! I love a good contrast - but 'almost the same but just a bit different' is neither match nor contrast.

So all that to say - good choice on the I!

Looking forward to seeing this beauty when it arrives - and congratulations!

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, @mrs-b. I agree that it’s nice for an e-ring to blend seamlessly with a collection so one can mix and match... unless it’s a standout piece that is on its own level, of course!

I asked my wonderfully patient rep which of the two she preferred. I’ve seen her wedding set. She has elegant taste.

I hope she doesn’t mind me quoting her:

“While the 2.564ct is a slightly cleaner SI1, and larger, it just didn’t “speak to me” like the 2.387ct did. I too like the small table, and in person it just jumps out at you.”

:eek2:

It not only speaks... it jumps! :love:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much, @mrs-b. I agree that it’s nice for an e-ring to blend seamlessly with a collection so one can mix and match... unless it’s a standout piece that is on its own level, of course!

I asked my wonderfully patient rep which of the two she preferred. I’ve seen her wedding set. She has elegant taste.

I hope she doesn’t mind me quoting her:

“While the 2.564ct is a slightly cleaner SI1, and larger, it just didn’t “speak to me” like the 2.387ct did. I too like the small table, and in person it just jumps out at you.”

Sounds like she is seeing what you were seeing - good to be validated in your thoughts!

cowcow81

Rough_Rock
@TweetyBird23, sorry to hijack your thread, I’m wondering if you sold the 1.6 on loupetroop or are you trading in with Whiteflash? Thanks!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Then go with the 2.38ct. ;)). I upgraded from a 2.35ct small 54.3 table to a 2.60ct with a 55.9 table. I'd notice the size difference of .30mm but I'm still in love with smaller table on a high crown...that just me..;))

TweetyBird23

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Then go with the 2.38ct. ;)). I upgraded from a 2.35ct small 54.3 table to a 2.60ct with a 55.9 table. I'd notice the size difference of .30mm but I'm still in love with smaller table on a high crown...that just me..;))
.30mm tho :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results