shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me choose a Rolex, Pricescopers!

Which Rolex should I get?

• 26mm two-tone yg datejust, jubilee, mop

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • 31mm two-tone yg datejust, jubilee, mop

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • 26mm all gold datejust, president, mop

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • 31mm all gold datejust, president, mop

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
decodelighted|1342586051|3235916 said:
MissGotRocks|1342578865|3235852 said:
I have had a few Rolexes and this is my latest one. I have bought and traded them and never lost too much money. This is not a particularly good picture but maybe you can get some idea from it (taken for the insurance company). This is the smaller ladies datejust two tone with a silver dial and diamond markers.
MissGotRocks ... that has GOT to be the 31mm, no? It just has different proportions from the super small ladies version. Regardless, it's lovely & looks great on you!

No, it's the smaller one. I think it's the angle of the picture that makes it look smaller. One of these days I'll take a decent picture - this was snapped quickly to send to the ins. company with paperwork.

I don't remember exactly when but Rolex changed this design a bit after 50 years or something. The bracelet is solid now and the lugs holding the bracelet to the watch are shiny rather than etched. The biggest change was the clasp - it is now like the one found on the Presidential model. Being a true PSer that likes the new and improved, I just had to have the newer model. The watch is a bit taller and heavier than the former model but in a good way - if that makes sense. I couldn't believe that having finally gotten into the Rolex market, the model changed after 50 some years!

My trading and upgrading was much like with my ring - not to make money but to get to where I finally wanted to be. I agree with Deco that the markets have been soft all around so probably not the best period of time to gauge value. There is a good resale market for these watches - like Tiffany or Cartier pieces. The retail price is high but you do stand to get some return on the items if you decide to sell them. Beats another item to put in a drawer and eat the loss. I got 15% off of this watch from an authorized Rolex USA dealer.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MGR...very good to know about the model change. Do you know what year the change began? That would be helpful to know for anyone looking on the secondary market especially.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="MissGotRocks|1342607253|
I don't remember exactly when but Rolex changed this design a bit after 50 years or something. The bracelet is solid now and the lugs holding the bracelet to the watch are shiny rather than etched. The biggest change was the clasp - it is now like the one found on the Presidential model. Being a true PSer that likes the new and improved, I just had to have the newer model. The watch is a bit taller and heavier than the former model but in a good way - if that makes sense. I couldn't believe that having finally gotten into the Rolex market, the model changed after 50 some years!

[/quote]
MGR
you are correct,i think its been about 4 yrs now :confused: that's when they had that big price jump, unlike older style bracelet yours are solid links with a Presidential style clasp.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I got this in 2009 and it was the new model. I like the new style of the clasp much better. It also features the word ROLEX written around ( over and over) in the inside directly under the crystal. You actually have to hold the watch at a certain angle to see this but it's kinda cool!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks everyone for your feedback and commentary. It's interesting - I posted this exact same poll on another web forum that I frequent, and the results were the exact opposite! I'm taking that as evidence that there's no right or wrong decision - every option has it's merits and I think that they're all beautiful. Still - I need to decide on one... ugh!

Thanks again!!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
bem3231|1342661600|3236408 said:
Thanks everyone for your feedback and commentary. It's interesting - I posted this exact same poll on another web forum that I frequent, and the results were the exact opposite! I'm taking that as evidence that there's no right or wrong decision - every option has it's merits and I think that they're all beautiful. Still - I need to decide on one... ugh!

Thanks again!!
That is interesting. I'm curious how you phased the question .... which looks better on me? --OR-- which gift should I get for my 40th? Because I'd bet a lot of people would encourage you to go after the most VALUABLE gift & really MAXIMIZE the event ... whereas I've noticed around here folks seem to be more about "the look" or style (generally).

Totally agree w/your assessment that there are NO BAD CHOICES here though! That's why it's so hard to decide! Good luck figuring out which pulls your heart most ... and plz post PIX after you do! :bigsmile:

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
decodelighted|1342666383|3236437 said:

Thanks again!!
That is interesting. I'm curious how you phased the question .... which looks better on me? --OR-- which gift should I get for my 40th? Because I'd bet a lot of people would encourage you to go after the most VALUABLE gift & really MAXIMIZE the event ... whereas I've noticed around here folks seem to be more about "the look" or style (generally).

Totally agree w/your assessment that there are NO BAD CHOICES here though! That's why it's so hard to decide! Good luck figuring out which pulls your heart most ... and plz post PIX after you do! :bigsmile:

Hey deco! I actually cut and pasted the whole post, so the questions were phrased exactly the same. That said, I suspect that the average demographic of each board are probably quite different. I'm glad that I posted in a couple of places - it's great to have feedback from multiple sources! I will absolutely update once I make my decision!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think my first inclination was to go for the solid gold just because it is a more valuable piece of jewelry. I am sure that must be the reason they voted that way. But then when I thought more about you combining platinum and yellow gold jewelry, I decided that it might work better to get the two-tone in order to tie in the two metals. The good news is, you cannot really go wrong with any of these! I have enjoyed your search because I have also been able to think about which I would order if I ever do!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks again!!

Could the predominant gender of the responders make a difference? And if so... will it make a difference in your deliberations? :wink2:

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
VRBeauty|1342678699|3236499 said:

Thanks again!!

Could the predominant gender of the responders make a difference? And if so... will it make a difference in your deliberations? :wink2:

I'll bet it does. I post on a watch forum and the subject of what size watches ladies should wear comes up from time to time. There's a contingent of arrogant men there who think women should only wear small watches, and any woman who prefers a larger one is showing off, calling for attention, and has no class. :roll:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But here the higher number have chosen the 26mm model. I took that to mean that the other place chose the 31mm.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Andelain|1342713931|3236633 said:
VRBeauty|1342678699|3236499 said:

Thanks again!!

I'll bet it does. I post on a watch forum and the subject of what size watches ladies should wear comes up from time to time. There's a contingent of arrogant men there who think women should only wear small watches, and any woman who prefers a larger one is showing off, calling for attention, and has no class. :roll:

I'm finding this follow-up discussion on the differences in polling results to be quite interesting!

The identical poll that I posted was on a jewelery sub-forum of a designer goods forum. As far as I can assess, 100% of the responders were female.

I also posted the question on a Rolex forum, although this forum did not allow for polling. That said, my quick assessment of the responses indicates that the 31mm size in general was overwhelmingly recommended, with over half of the 'votes' going to the all gold. Most (but not all) of the responders on the Rolex forum were men. That said, I have read some of the threads on watch forums discussing the topic of men's size watches on women - it seems that most men fall into the category of either loving that look or hating it! The larger size that I'm considering here is still strictly considered a women's size, though - just a 'new' take on a women's size.

I think that it's a good point that people may be recommending the 31 all gold due to it being the most 'valuable' gift in a practical sense, but that's not the impression that I've gotten from the commentary. I do think that it's safe to perhaps assume that the members of the jewelery forum (and the Rolex forum, for that matter) may, as a general rule, be more comfortable with 'statement' pieces / watches, whereas the average Pricescope contributor may, generally speaking (of course) be more drawn to subtleties in an aesthetic sense. What I am trying to suggest is that, on the jewelery and Rolex forums, it's more likely to be 'all about the watch', whereas on Pricescope it's more likely to be 'all about the diamonds', with the watch as a complementary piece, rather than a competing piece. Does this make sense?

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1342716316|3236657 said:
But here the higher number have chosen the 26mm model. I took that to mean that the other place chose the 31mm.

Yes, diamondseeker - the other forum(s) chose the 31mm over the 26mm (overwhelmingly), with the majority of votes in both cases going to the 31mm all gold.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bem3231|1342716816|3236665 said:

Yes, diamondseeker - the other forum(s) chose the 31mm over the 26mm (overwhelmingly), with the majority of votes in both cases going to the 31mm all gold.

Then I think they must be more into fashion trends (relating to size) whereas maybe more here are thinking what would be more classic and timeless. (Speaking as one who is older and has seen those trends change over time!)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

If the other forum with the women has to do with bags, that doesn't surprise me at all.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1342717281|3236669 said:
If the other forum with the women has to do with bags, that doesn't surprise me at all.
That's exactly where my mind went too -- and it seemed par for the course over there! HOWEVER - I do think that there's a strong trend toward both larger & solid gold watches right now (in yellow AND in rose/pink) ... especially among celebs, whose behavior & styling REALLY seems to affect those younger purse gals. Maybe I can't get past my innate bias towards white metals & matte finishes *personally*. I know I love rose gold NOW but I can't be sure I'd always love it enough to justify tens of thousands of dollars on a single piece ... and right now white metal just is more versatile w/the classic, building-block pieces I already own & love.

NO DOUBT, that 31mm solid gold piece looks amazing on you Bem & would seemingly compliment what you already have going on. Look forward to seeing what you choose!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1342722042|3236719 said:
TravelingGal|1342717281|3236669 said:
That's exactly where my mind went too -- and it seemed par for the course over there! HOWEVER - I do think that there's a strong trend toward both larger & solid gold watches right now (in yellow AND in rose/pink) ... especially among celebs, whose behavior & styling REALLY seems to affect those younger purse gals. Maybe I can't get past my innate bias towards white metals & matte finishes *personally*. I know I love rose gold NOW but I can't be sure I'd always love it enough to justify tens of thousands of dollars on a single piece ... and right now white metal just is more versatile w/the classic, building-block pieces I already own & love.

NO DOUBT, that 31mm solid gold piece looks amazing on you Bem & would seemingly compliment what you already have going on. Look forward to seeing what you choose!

Exactly. They seem to look at things as more trend/fashion than a classic jewelry.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1342717205|3236668 said:

Then I think they must be more into fashion trends (relating to size) whereas maybe more here are thinking what would be more classic and timeless. (Speaking as one who is older and has seen those trends change over time!)
exactly!!..based on today's trend 31mm is not too big for a lady's watch.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i believe i saw the post on another forum and it had nothing to do with bags. if i am correct you may be making an incorrect assumption. just sayin.

pardon me i did not see the op had typed forum/s. if that is the case a bag forum could be involved. disregard above statement.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bem, yes, good point. We are thinking about the total jewelry "wardrobe" and which watch would best fit with your other pieces for a lifetime. I can for sure see watch lovers going for the most expensive, and men almost always go for the biggest!

I will have to say that it is hard to refuse a solid gold Rolex when money is not an object. You could always get a stainless and gold one later for a more casual option. Or get a Cartier for an extra watch!

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1342735255|3236838 said:
Bem, yes, good point. We are thinking about the total jewelry "wardrobe" and which watch would best fit with your other pieces for a lifetime. I can for sure see watch lovers going for the most expensive, and men almost always go for the biggest!

I will have to say that it is hard to refuse a solid gold Rolex when money is not an object. You could always get a stainless and gold one later for a more casual option. Or get a Cartier for an extra watch!

Diamondseeker - we think alike! I have considered getting a two-tone one later for a more casual look, or a Cartier (which I love, but I would prefer to purchase an automatic watch for this occasion, and the Cartier models that I really like are all quartz). I have actually thought of even looking to purchase second-hand, but the whole authentication thing worries me given that I'm a newbie.

I was in a Rolex AD last month and there was a lady in who had purchased a used Rolex last year. She had done her due diligence and had taken it into the AD for authentication prior to finalizing the purchase. They confirmed that, as far as they could tell without opening it up, it was authentic. She purchased the watch, and recently sent it off to Rolex for servicing. Rolex opened it up and... the insides were not Rolex (but the outsides were)! That really made me even warier about navigating the second hand market, despite the considerable savings!!

Btw - while I have your attention, diamondseeker, I would love to get your feedback on this sapphire that I am considering, given that you are the proud owner of a RH cut sapphire. I'm not sure if you saw this thread in Colored Stones, but I'd love to hear what you think!

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-would-love-to-get-some-feedback-on-this-sapphire-please.177516/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-would-love-to-get-some-feedback-on-this-sapphire-please.177516/[/URL]

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

The places I know locally that sell Estate Rolexes--have had them authenticated/serviced by Rolex and are therefore genuine--with all genuine parts. In some cases the pieces turned back in for a newer model or another brand, have been sold by AD as well.

We've all heard the stories--that is why some dealers have them sent to Rolex before they agree to resell!

People buy what they like. You will. Good luck!

cheers--Sharon

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bem,you can save some $$$ on the sales tax if you could make arrangements with an out of state AD to ship you the watch.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
While I like the larger 2-tone, the smaller 2-tone is the classic size. If I were spending this on a watch, I would go for classic.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree with Holly - a classic style will never go out of style - much as with an ering or whatever.

I think since it's a gift and you're not worried about resale or trades - and most people probably aren't when buying these watches - get what you want - what looks good to your eye and what looks good on your wrist. I'm not sure that people on the cutting edge of style and fashion are going for Rolex anyway. I think people interested in them are looking at them for what they are and what they represent to them - not because they are the hottest thing on the block.

Because they are significant in price and because they will last a lifetime, you just have to focus on what really appeals to you for the long term. I can't wait to see what you select! I have enjoyed my watch every moment that I've had it and I hope you do too!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only one I didn't like was the 31mm two tone. That just competes too much with your rings/has too much going on.

I like the 26 size better, it's a more traditional look and lets your rings shine. The 31 solid gold is nice, too. I think wearing a really big watch sometimes conveys a "time is money" --> "I got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind" mentality. And I think ladies shouldn't have to worry too much about money. Haha. I've got old-fashioned thoughts.

I see after reading this thread that I did think more like a PSer and think about your jewelry wardrobe.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, BEM, I was travelling to the beach today but will go now to look at the sapphire! That sounds exciting! (I replied over there.)

Yes, I love some of the quartz Cartier's, too, and that I what I am thinking for a casual everyday watch for myself. So I really do think having an automatic Rolex and a quartz Cartier is a fabulous combination! Since you are going round with Rolex, you can get a tank or other shape from Cartier! I can never find just ONE thing to meet all my needs! ha! :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BEM, I thought of you today! I am on vacation and went to a jeweler that carries a lot of Rolex watches and tried on some in the styles you are considering. I pretty much liked the 26mm on me, although the 31mm didn't look bad, either. If they made around a 28mm, I could go for that! I told the sales person that "my friend" was deciding between some of the watches that I was looking at! :bigsmile:

I did try on the two tone, but I think for myself, I would choose all white metal with the white gold bezel. I have always thought I'd go for silver dial with diamond markers, but they had one with a black dial and diamond markers, and it was really gorgeous! I still think I'd probably play it safe with the silver, but I really loved the black!

Have you decided yet???

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1343177511|3239384 said:
BEM, I thought of you today! I am on vacation and went to a jeweler that carries a lot of Rolex watches and tried on some in the styles you are considering. I pretty much liked the 26mm on me, although the 31mm didn't look bad, either. If they made around a 28mm, I could go for that! I told the sales person that "my friend" was deciding between some of the watches that I was looking at! :bigsmile:

I did try on the two tone, but I think for myself, I would choose all white metal with the white gold bezel. I have always thought I'd go for silver dial with diamond markers, but they had one with a black dial and diamond markers, and it was really gorgeous! I still think I'd probably play it safe with the silver, but I really loved the black!

Have you decided yet???

Hi DS! I'm so glad that you thought of me and my Rolex quest - thanks so much for taking the time to go in and try a few pieces on (I hope it wasn't too much of a hardship! ;-) ). Your feedback means a lot to me!

I think that I am getting closer to reaching a decision. I have decided that I'm definitely going to get the 31mm. After looking at about a thousand photos online of women wearing Rolexes in real life, I definitely prefer the look of watches larger than the 26mm. I have also had enough people suggest to me that a larger face is more practical for actually telling time that I feel that it would be wise to heed this advice. I have had several people suggest that I should go all the way up to a 36mm, but although I think that this can still be a very classic look on some, I think that anything larger than a 31mm makes it look like I'm wearing my dad's watch. So, this has led me to conclude that 31mm is the absolute perfect size for me!

After a LOT of waffling back and forth, I think that I've decided to go with the solid 18kt yellow gold, but with a simpler dial than the one that I'd pictured here. Although this was not the PS consensus (and I do absolutely value the opinions of all of the many helpful PSers - thank you again!), I feel that for a milestone occasion gift the solid gold is just a bit more 'classic' and a bit more special, and I do love the look of it. I think that the solid gold in the 31mm is still going to be a pretty timeless look. Furthermore, I am worried that if I get a two-tone I will still be secretly longing for a solid gold down the road, whereas I feel that if I had the solid gold I would be pretty satisfied for a long, long time!

As I mentioned, however, I am currently in the throes of deliberating different dial options, as I think that perhaps the solid gold, plus the mother-of[pearl, plus the diamond markers is maybe a little over the top for daily wear. I am considering either a plain white face with gold roman numerals, a silver face with gold roman numerals and a pave 'VI', a silver face with diamond markers, or a white mother-of-pearl face with gold roman numerals. Maybe I need another poll to have you guys help me decide!!

Thanks again for sharing your recent experience in the Rolex boutique, DS, and for taking the time to inquire about my decision making process. "I get by with a little help from my 'friends'"!...

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
I originally voted for the smaller version but I think your choice will look splendid on you! I hope you'll post wrist shots when you receive your watch! Hubby asked me to go to the Rolex store with him tomorrow - maybe I'll have to do some watch face research. All in the name of being a good Pricescoper of course!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results