shape
carat
color
clarity

I would love to get some feedback on this sapphire please...

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Hello everyone...

Some of you may remember me posting a while back about finding a sapphire to replace the center stone in my original engagement ring setting, as I've just had my diamond reset by Victor Canera. I was having some difficulty finding a suitably sized stone, as my original setting (by LM) has pave in the prongs, and Victor's recommendation was that I needed something extremely close to the size of my diamond (which is 8.95 X 8.99 X 5.49).

My previous thread on this saga is here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-help-me-with-this-4-ct-sapphire-for-lm-setting.176214/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/please-help-me-with-this-4-ct-sapphire-for-lm-setting.176214/[/URL]

Anyways, long story short, I have received this video of a Richard Homer concave cut Ceylon sapphire - 2.46 carats. Victor thinks that it might be a bit small for my setting but also said that it could be doable. The stone is 8.5 X 8.5 X 4.9. The issue that I'm having with traditionally cut stones is that they all tend to be cut way too deep. A recut is a possibility, but is a bit more of a gamble than I have an appetite for as a newbie. It would also be expensive as I'd be paying for carat weight that would end up lost.

I was hoping to get some feedback on what you all think of this stone. It looks lovely to me, but I am admittedly a colored stone neophite. I have been doing a lot of reading on PS and elsewhere about sapphires and colored stones, however I have not had the benefit of being able to see enough stones in person and via video and photos to know how the color, hue, saturation etc. translates.

Here is a video that Wink was kind enough to make for me of the stone:
http://www.screencast.com/users/WinkJones/folders/Colored%20Gems/media/79cfe4a8-bb1f-4088-9410-b6a9bf6ce3e1

Wink said that in the video he can detect some color zoning, but is unable to see it in real life.

I welcome any feedback that you may have. The only other option that I've come across that might work is to have a Chatham sapphire custom cut. I would, of course, prefer to find a natural gem, however the price difference is significant. I don't want to get something that isn't going to look great in the setting (I have attached a couple of photos of the setting for reference).

I'd appreciate any thoughts and feedback on what you think of the sapphire and on whether you think that this is a good option for me.

Thank you!

203_10973732929_618392929_710895_900_n.jpg

203_10973737929_618392929_710896_1396_n.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: I would love to get some feedback on this sapphire pleas

i like it.
a richard homer concave cut is the only concave cut i would purchase.
you do pay a premium price for his work.
imo, its worth every penny.

can you have the stone sent to you for approval prior to setting?

i'm not seeing the zoning in the video.......

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock

movie zombie|1341895524|3231442 said:
i like it.
a richard homer concave cut is the only concave cut i would purchase.
you do pay a premium price for his work.
imo, its worth every penny.

can you have the stone sent to you for approval prior to setting?

i'm not seeing the zoning in the video.......

Thanks for your feedback. I would love to see it in person, however I am in Canada and my setting and the stone are currently in the US, so I'm not big on the customs hassles of getting a stone across the border and back. I'm not really sure what would be involved, actually. Any advice on this would be welcome...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

no advice but can you get Wink to send you more pictures or another video to see if the new images capture the zoning? honestly, i do not see it in the video but lighting is always tricky. not sure anyone would notice given your setting!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium

It looks like a beautiful stone and should look stunning in your setting.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock

movie zombie|1341959163|3231907 said:
no advice but can you get Wink to send you more pictures or another video to see if the new images capture the zoning? honestly, i do not see it in the video but lighting is always tricky. not sure anyone would notice given your setting!

Thanks! I've sent Wink a note asking for more info on the zoning that he detected. If he can't detect it in real life then I'm not too concerned about it, but would like more info.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock

bright ice|1341975738|3232124 said:
It looks like a beautiful stone and should look stunning in your setting.

Thank you for your feedback!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the zoning will be difficult to spot due to the concave faceting. Given the contraints you are under, this one certainly looks like a promising candidate. RH's stone carry a premium and not everyone likes concave faceting though. As you can see, the effects are different - the flashes are smaller and splintery, some might even go so far as to call it static. People seem to fall into 2 distinct groups when it comes to this - they either love it or hate it.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock

Chrono|1342093027|3232754 said:
I think the zoning will be difficult to spot due to the concave faceting. Given the contraints you are under, this one certainly looks like a promising candidate. RH's stone carry a premium and not everyone likes concave faceting though. As you can see, the effects are different - the flashes are smaller and splintery, some might even go so far as to call it static. People seem to fall into 2 distinct groups when it comes to this - they either love it or hate it.

Hi Chrono - thanks very much for chiming in! Yes, I've read the polarized 'love it / hate it' thing about concave faceting before. Unfortunately I've never had an opportunity to see a concave faceted stone in real life, so I'm not sure which category I fall into. It's a lot of money to spend on something that I might hate! Perhaps I really need to pursue trying to get this stone shipped to me for viewing - I just have no idea what's going to be involved.

Chrono - what are your thoughts on the color of this particular stone?

Thank you!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I like that touch of violet in the blue. Perhaps it's just me but the crown looks really flat, almost non existant? Perhaps this does not matter because it is concave faceted? Perhaps this is why the depth is less and will fit your setting? What I would also ask about is the colour shift from indoors to outdoors. Sapphires look best outdoors so it's good to find out how it changes under fluorescent and incandescent lighting.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

i would urge you to pursue getting the stone sent to you.
as Chrono stated, concave cut is not for everyone. and i stated the only concave i'd even consider buying would be a richard homer.
however, admittedly, i do not own a concave cut stone and probably never will.

if you get a chance, do a search here for posts by Mine and her concave cut spessartite. its a treat!

i don't think you'll notice the zoning but the mere suggestion that it exists may always "bug" you if you don't see it before it is set.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just checking in since its been a few days to see if you've decided what you're going to do.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock

minousbijoux|1342344828|3234223 said:
Just checking in since its been a few days to see if you've decided what you're going to do.

Thanks for checking in! I e-mailed Wink with some questions but have yet to hear back from him. Maybe he's on vacation? If I don't hear back from him by this week I'll call or e-mail again.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh, I think that sapphire is gorgeous! Beautiful color! The only reservation I might have is whether the diameter is perfect for your setting.

I will say that in a deeper colored stone, the concave faceting is not so prominent that I think one could hate it. I can see why in a lighter stone when you see the cutting so easily you could have a stronger opinion one way or the other. I do think it helps a deeper colored stone be a little more brilliant. I was worried about it before I got my stone, but I think it looks great in my setting which is also platinum with diamonds and milgrain edge. Mine is just much smaller, unfortunately!

I dealt with Richard Homer personally, and I think that is usually the best way to do it for more reason that one. Since Wink has that one stone, you'd have to go through him to get it. But I would urge you to contact Richard Homer before talking to anyone else and tell him you are looking for a 9mm stone but could use around 8.8 to 9.1. When I contacted Richard, I told him I was looking for a specific size and he sent me links to several stones, not just blue sapphires. I honestly would rather set it with something like an aquamarine over a lab sapphire, personally. But he can tell you if he has anything the size you need or if he has access to rough to cut one. I think this size in a round will be harder to find, but it cannot hurt to contact him. Please tell him that the PS member who bought the 6.6mm round blue sapphire from him recommended you contact him. He is very nice and you may do a little better on price dealing directly with him.

Good luck and I will check in to see what happens!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results