shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help me choose a Rolex, Pricescopers!

Which Rolex should I get?

• 26mm two-tone yg datejust, jubilee, mop

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • 31mm two-tone yg datejust, jubilee, mop

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • 26mm all gold datejust, president, mop

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • 31mm all gold datejust, president, mop

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone!

I have been looking at Rolexes for the past six or eight months, as I am getting one as a gift for my 40th birthday this year. I have had a difficult time deciding between the classic 26mm ladies' datejust and the mid-size 31mm ladies' datejust. Also, while at first I thought that I definitely wanted a two-tone ss/yg with jubilee bracelet, I have recently begun to wonder if down the road I would regret not having gotten an all-gold with president bracelet?

So, I have now narrowed it down to four choices (I think), and I could really used some feedback and advice!

The four choices are:

1) 26mm steel and yellow gold datejust, jubilee bracelet, fluted bezel, white mother-of-pearl dial, diamond markers

2) 26mm solid yellow gold datejust, president bracelet, fluted bezel, white mother-of-pearl dial, diamond markers

3) 31mm steel and yellow gold datejust, jubilee bracelet, fluted bezel, white mother-of-pearl dial, diamond markers

4) 31mm solid yellow gold datejust, president bracelet, fluted bezel, white mother-of-pearl dial, diamond markers

I am going to attach photos of each in subsequent posts so that it's easier to tell each one apart. For reference, attached below are a couple of photos for comparison sake.

Note that in the photo of the four watches these are not all exactly as described above, as the 26mm two tone has a diamond bezel (which I don't love) and the 26mm president has a meteorite dial, however for general comparison sake I thought that a side-by-side photo might prove helpful.

Also please note that in the photo of me wearing a 26mm on one wrist and a 31mm on the other the watches featured have a gold rather than white mop dial, however again for comparison sake I thought that it would be helpful to see the exact same watch in both sizes side-by-side.

I am attaching a poll for quick responses, however for those of you who have time to provide feedback I'd appreciate knowing what your order of preference would be, and why.

Some of the questions that are making a decision difficult for me include: Is the 26mm ladies' size too 'dated' in this era of large watches for women? Is the 31mm size too 'trendy'? Will the 26mm size be difficult to read, now and / or in the future as I get older? Is the all-gold with president bracelet too 'flashy'? If I opt for two-tone rather than all-gold, will I regret not having gotten the all-gold down the line (I really love the president bracelet!)?

I have had a friend (who just happens to work for Rolex in Geneva) suggest that I should either go with a 26mm or go up to a 36mm - she said that the 31mm didn't look 'right' on me. However, I tried on a 36mm and it really looked like I was wearing a man's watch. I want something that is classic enough that I can enjoy it for years to come.

For reference sake, I will include a bit of information on my lifestyle... I'm 39 years old (soon to be 40), 5'9", and have a two-year old daughter. I work part-time from home and am completing my PhD, so I don't spend a lot of time in boardrooms anymore, however I am used to wearing a fair bit of bling on a daily basis. I also plan to wear my Cartier yellow gold w/ 4 diamonds Love bracelet on the opposite hand. The white diamond ring featured here is my engagement ring (the yellow is not - I just happened to be wearing it on the day that I took those photos as my e-ring was being reset), however I don't wear it all of the time. If I am just running around I plan to wear a small Cartier Trinity band in lieu of my wedding set, or my thin pave wedding band. My other watches are a 26mm two-tone Movado with white face that I got for my 18th birthday, but still love and wear almost daily, and a 33mm white ceramic and stainless steel Technomarine with diamond markers that I wear in the summer sometimes for a sportier look. I would plan to wear my new Rolex daily, or almost daily.

Thank you everyone for taking the time to read this and to share your opinions - they are valued and much appreciated!

:wavey:

PS - Apologies that some of my photos are sideways - I'm working off of a computer that is not mine and don't feel comfortable monkeying with the photo editor program too much. Also, apologies for the blurry photos - I have had to rely on SA's snapping pics with my phone, or taking awkward one-handed shots - so I haven't been able to be too picky with the photo quality!

rolex_four_watches.jpg

rolex_31_vs_26.jpg

rolex_31mm_vs_26mm.jpg

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
26mm two-tone, mother-of-pearl dial, diamond markers...

rolex_26_mm_tt_12_diamond.jpg

rolex_26mm_tt.jpg

rolex_26mm_tt_12_diamond_3.jpg

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
26mm, all yellow gold, president bracelet, mother-of-pearl dial, diamond markers...

rolex_26_mm_yg.jpg

rolex_26_mm_yg_2.jpg

rolex_26mm_yg_3.jpg

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
31mm, two-tone, jubilee bracelet, mother-of-pearl dial, diamond markers...

rolex_31mm_tt.jpg

rolex_31mm_tt_2.jpg

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
31mm, all yellow gold, president bracelet, mother-of-pearl dial, diamond markers...

rolex_31_mm_yg.jpg

rolex_31mm_yg.jpg

rolex_31_mm_yg_mop.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd pick the larger steel and gold one.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I would pick the first one, it caught my eye first when I looked at the picture of all 4 of them. I like two-tone watches because of the versatile jewelery you can wear with it. I think it stood out to me because it doesn't look like a typical Rolex does and I really like that about it! I don't like the all gold president band because in my honest opinion, it's just a little too "BAM!" for me. Both sizes look good on your wrist, I don't think you could go wrong with either size.

Andelain

Ideal_Rock
I'd definitely choose the 31mm, in either color. I think larger watches for us ladies are here to stay, and it looks great on your wrist. I wear between 34 and 40mm watches myself.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I definitely like the 2-tone watch better. I think the all yellow gold one is just too much BAM in your face yellow. And either size looks nice on you but I think I might prefer the 26mm.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I would choose the smaller, all gold.

I don't care for the two-tone rolexes, the two metal colors don't look good together, IMHO, and it annoys me to see it. I like the single gold, it's much more classic.

Also, the big watch thing may look dated in 10 years (remember the tiny watches of the 1930's, 50's, 70's, etc?) and the smaller size fits more proportionally on your hand.

The large two-tone, to me, is a casual watch, not something you can wear with an evening gown if necessary. The all gold looks good with jeans or a gown.

But all around, I'm not a Rolex person, I'm a Cartier watch fan, so I might not be a good judge.

But if it were me, and I passed up the chance to have a solid gold watch (whatever brand), I'd regret it later.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the 31mm two-tone. I do think the smaller watches look a bit dated on someone your age (or maybe, actually, make you appear older *taste*wise). Seems like the two tone works wonderfully with your e-ring and cartier tri-color-rolling ring & YG love bracelet -- all your daily wearers .... where the all gold is a bit *heavy*. Could be too flashy for everyday.

I mean - if you can rock it with total confidence and yellow gold is really your thing -- it does look nice on you in the larger size. (More so if it was sized a little tighter maybe?)

I'm 5'9" myself (but much chunkier!) -- and I'm wearing a 39mm Submariner-inspired piece lately and I think I'm biased toward the look of men's watches on women. ESPECIALLY vintage men's watches. Even back in the late 90's I just loved that look.

There's something I *don't* love about the idea of "ladies sized" versions of classic men's watches. If you want a super femmy *ladies* watch, then a *ladies* SHAPED watch would seem most suitable. Rather than a scaled down men's style watch. Dunno if that makes sense!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote for the 31 mm two-toned! I am completely biased though, because I have a vintage Datejust with the jubilee bracelet and I love it! I wear it pretty much every day and it looks good with both dressy and casual clothes.

Plus I agree with deco that the smaller Rolexes seem a bit older than your age/style.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1342530297|3235376 said:
I would choose the smaller, all gold.

I don't care for the two-tone rolexes, the two metal colors don't look good together, IMHO, and it annoys me to see it. I like the single gold, it's much more classic.

Also, the big watch thing may look dated in 10 years (remember the tiny watches of the 1930's, 50's, 70's, etc?) and the smaller size fits more proportionally on your hand.

The large two-tone, to me, is a casual watch, not something you can wear with an evening gown if necessary. The all gold looks good with jeans or a gown.

But all around, I'm not a Rolex person, I'm a Cartier watch fan, so I might not be a good judge.

But if it were me, and I passed up the chance to have a solid gold watch (whatever brand), I'd regret it later.

Ditto to all of this! You have tiny wrists and the 26mm is CLASSIC and will never go out of style. I do not trust that the large watches will always be in style. Save those for cheaper, more trendy watches.

I would have to say that I would choose solid gold if I had to choose one of these, although I would prefer all white gold or platinum if I had unlimited money. There are some things I like in two tone, but these do not appeal to me in two tone for some reason. You are beautiful and your jewelry is perfect for you!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will add that I could handle the two-tone better if the bezel was in white metal instead of yellow.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

None of them. Two-tone styles appear dated. All gold as well. Diamonds not needed unless on all white metal.

I would get a watch in the Cellini Collection. Bigger face, leather strap.

Or, Yachmaster. Or datejust. All white metal.

But that is just me. :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
In my experience, people who buy rolex don't usually have one watch that the will wear forever....therefore classic and possibly outdatedness be damned. ;)) Buy what you like and what feels good NOW. Also, in the watch world, rolexes hold their value well. You can always resell.

With a rolex, you can either go hip, or go classic. Classic is sort of, well, boring for a woman turning 40 (I say this with bias as a woman about to turn 40 too!). If you look at celebrities with them, the look on women is to go big. I like the look of a bigger rolex, because to me it's really not a very feminine watch...something about it (as someone says) just really looks like a scaled down version of a man's.

The bigger one appears more youthful on your wrist. But I'll be honest...not a fan of ANY of those metals. I'd prefer all white.

Saoirse2

Shiny_Rock
Big watches can look sexy but I prefer mid size, 30+mm can look very large in relation to my wrist and these watches are HEAVY.
All yellow/two tone do appear dated, but if you like yellow gold why not? I'm much happier with all 18k white gold case & fluted bezel, not a fan of luminous markers either, I think diamond markers look better on white metal. Whatever you decide, Jubilee bracelets with hidden clasps are very, very comfortable. Good Luck!

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree about preferring all white metal over any of your current choices (which is why I liked the Platinum/SS Yachtmaster)! The good news is that you're gorgeous! And so many watches are going to look amazing on you. Based on your dressing style & body frame & coloring & relative youth & size of your bling -- I would go over 30mm regardless.

Congrats on a fab project & getting to 40 looking fab to boot! :D

ETA: I will say that I see TONS of two-tone styles for sale on the 2nd hand market. I think because they don't turn out to be as classic and as wearable as all white or all yellow varieties. Also TONS of the smaller ladies models. (Not as in-style now as they have been in the past. Unclear about future.)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

E B

Ideal_Rock
bem3231|1342500635|3235260 said:
31mm, two-tone, jubilee bracelet, mother-of-pearl dial, diamond markers...

Another vote for this one. :))

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1342543043|3235503 said:
In my experience, people who buy rolex don't usually have one watch that the will wear forever....therefore classic and possibly outdatedness be damned. ;)) Buy what you like and what feels good NOW. Also, in the watch world, rolexes hold their value well. You can always resell.

I agree. I have a friend who has bought and sold dozens of Rolexes over the years. She always gets her money back. She also works in the jewelry business and said w/o a doubt they have the best resale value. So go with what you love.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
bem...you can buy my 36mm... :bigsmile: my wife been wearing a 26mm 18K/SS for the past 20 yrs.

img_2043__640x480_.jpg

dscn2051a.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If pressed I might agree on the two toned watches, but the all gold Rolex is serious $$$; you wouldn't wear it forever?? JMHO of course!

cheers--Sharon

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
canuk-gal|1342552519|3235614 said:

If pressed I might agree on the two toned watches, but the all gold Rolex is serious $$$; you wouldn't wear it forever?? JMHO of course!

cheers--Sharon

Sharon, I meant that if someone has the funds to buy the $$$ Rolex, they probably don't have to choose *one* forever watch...therefore the pressure is normally off to have to choose a lifetime watch. ::)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
TravelingGal|1342552603|3235618 said:
canuk-gal|1342552519|3235614 said:

cheers--Sharon

Sharon, I meant that if someone has the funds to buy the $$$ Rolex, they probably don't have to choose *one* forever watch...therefore the pressure is normally off to have to choose a lifetime watch. ::)

Or sell it when taste changes and buy another.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
[quote="Tacori E-ring|

Or sell it when taste changes and buy another.[/quote]

and lose a lot of $$$.. :bigsmile:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, buying second hand and selling second hand might result in no money lost, but buying new retail is likely going to result in a loss of money. There is an incredible rose gold Cartier that is for sale, and that person is going to be taking a loss of several thousand dollars in order to sell it. I adore it, though.

http://jewelsbyericagrace.com/watches (last watch on the page)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1342571722|3235788 said:
[quote="Tacori E-ring|

Or sell it when taste changes and buy another.

and lose a lot of $$$.. :bigsmile:[/quote]

Actually I have a friend who does quite well doing this. She has bought and sold dozens and says Rolexes hold their value well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results