shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help! Just Received Diamond and

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
I bought my diamond online and this is what was shown: It is an Emerald Cut Diamond
Grading Lab: GIA
Measurement: 7.34 - 5.14 x 3.41
Carat weight: 1.16
Cut*: Signature Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: VVS2
L/W Ratio: 1.43
Depth%: 66.3%
Table%: 74%
Symmetry: Very Good
Polish: Very Good
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None

It is a GIA and I have vendor gives 30 days ... but now I see on the bottom of the GIA, which was not on the GIA I saw when I viewed it online the following:

key: feather

This was not anywhere on the vendors ad for this diamond and I want to know if this diamond is less valuable now. Please reply as this is an anniversary gift for my wife and I need to work fast if it has to go back............THANKS!

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
They''re just describing the type inclusion(s). It has a VVS2 rating, can you see it? I wouldn''t worry about it.

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
With a VVS rating, it should be a very small feather at best.

Do you see a mark on the Cert Plot for where the feather might be?? Can you use that to locate the feather in the stone??

Try that first.

I''d also suggest you take the stone to a jeweler you trust and have them loupe it, or use their microscope to check for yourself. See if this is something you''ll be comfortable with.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries on a VVS2! That must be one tiny feather!

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
Thank you.

It''s just that the "feather" was never mentioned and I only saw this on a small laminate GIA card that came with certificate upon arrival of the diamond.

I believe the vendor should have mentioned this feather, though. Would I be correct in this?

Going by specs above, could anyone with experience let me know if this is a quality stone?...I paid $5,500 for it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2007 5:30:38 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
No worries on a VVS2! That must be one tiny feather!
Yes.

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/16/2007 6:00:09 PM
Author: bizpro1
Thank you.

It''s just that the ''feather'' was never mentioned and I only saw this on a small laminate GIA card that came with certificate upon arrival of the diamond.

I believe the vendor should have mentioned this feather, though. Would I be correct in this?

Going by specs above, could anyone with experience let me know if this is a quality stone?...I paid $5,500 for it.
I don''t think vendors mention inclusions unless you ask about them, or unless the stone isn''t eyeclean and they want to make you aware of that. In a VVS2, you''re not going to see anything anyway. The only time I''ve talked about inclusions with vendors was when I specifically wanted to know if the inclusion could be seen.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2007 6:00:09 PM
Thank you.

It's just that the 'feather' was never mentioned and I only saw this on a small laminate GIA card that came with certificate upon arrival of the diamond.

The diamond is a VVS2 for a reason. It is not perfect. So there must be some type of inclusion to make it a VVS2 and not an FL (flawless diamond). That inclusion is the feather you see listed. So no, since the diamond is not perfect and you knew there had to be some sort of inclusion to warrant the VVS2 grading, the vendor did not need to bring this up. You have nothing to worry about. VVS2 is a super duper grade. You may not even be able to see the inclusion with a 10x loupe.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a VS1 with a small feather that I can''t spot at 40 mag! You are fine.

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
Good advice, I will take it to a certified appraiser for an evaluation.

Is the Table % too high or will it still have lots of fire once you look at the rest of the specs?

Setting is in platinum, 3.5 wide with smal round and baguette on each side totalling .42 ct

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just by the numbers, yes, the table is too big. With that depth... about a 60 percent table is prefered. But with fancy''s its your eyes that have to make the choice not the numbers. How does it look?

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
I received it today and I looked at it in normal office lighting. To be quite honest, I did not see any "brilliance" but then again, I don''t know if it has to have certain lighting to reflect this. Almost seemd like it was glassy, if Im explaining this properly.

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
I picked this diamond because the specs looked real good but maybe I overlooked the table and vendor, in conversation did not pick up on it. I did ask her if it would have lot of fire and she said it would.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's an emerald. office lighting. glassiness is to be expected.

go to a jewelry store. yes, table is large. some people like that.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I think that with emerald cuts you will not experience the *brilliance* of say a round cut because there are less facets in an emerald cut. If I understand correctly the number of facets is going to have a lot to do with the amount of brilliance or scintillation you will see in a particular stone. With emerald having less facets, then there will be less so-called brilliance. Luckily there are a lot of emerald cut owners on Pricescope so hopefully they will be able to tell you more about emerald cut stones and how much sparkle you should expect.

Edited: for grammar.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2007 8:17:06 PM
I received it today and I looked at it in normal office lighting. To be quite honest, I did not see any ''brilliance'' but then again, I don''t know if it has to have certain lighting to reflect this. Almost seemd like it was glassy, if Im explaining this properly.
Yeah, you are explaining properly... that''s what a large table does to ECs.

My prefered specs are 63-66 depth, 58-62 table, EX/VG EX/VG polish/sym.

These are tighter than some people''s preferences... but for the most part table much be smaller than depth, depth should not exceed 70 and table should be under 65.

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
I don''t know whether I should spend the money with an independent appraiser, which is about $165 here in NYC or just see if vendor reacts to trying to find me a stone with same everything is less % table. I realize I will pay more and hope vendor would rather look for another stone rather than take it back completely.

Geez, Im confused...thank goodness for this forum though otherwise I would have to talk to myself about this.....lol. Great support and kind suggestions here. thanks.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you take a picture of the stone and post it? You know, with fancy shapes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! We might give a more fair opinion if we could see the picture. I hate for you to reject the stone without having people see it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
DS''s suggestion is a very good one. Use the macro button and snap a few pics!

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
Since ring is anniversary present, I have it in my office, so I will try to take pics tomorrow and post by tomorrow night. thanks.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
pics arent going to really tell us much...
The biggest thing that I tell people is dont settle for a stone you dont love.
You have to judge that for yourself.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My EC has a large table as well and it doesn''t bother me. I would take it outside or in different lighting conditions. My EC has lots of sparkle but it obviously performs differently than a round. I wouldn''t second guess yourself unless you really feel like it is not what you wanted to begin with. Then perhaps you should buy a different cut.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think posting pics will be helpful. Look forward to seeing them.
1.gif

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/17/2007 12:16:07 AM
Author: Kaleigh
I think posting pics will be helpful. Look forward to seeing them.
1.gif
Here is one picture....I will send another on separate post as Im having problem uploading...thanks

myengring1.jpg

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/16/2007 10:38:27 PM
Author: Gypsy
DS''s suggestion is a very good one. Use the macro button and snap a few pics!
I have submitted one....would really appreciate your input. Thanks.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
well, really hard to say anything in that pic. no light. seems like you''re very close to the stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bizpro1,
I'm sorry to say that I don't like the EC. While I would not bat an eyelash because it is a VVS2 feather, I don't like the steps on this EC. It just does not draw me in. Too flat looking which might be caused by very large table. My preference is a table around 58% to 65% max. In addition, the EC has a HUGE dark step all around it. Maybe it is just be picture but the scintillation should be more even. I'll have to find you a picture to show what a well cut EC steps look like.

Irishlad's EC
irish4321111.jpg

This was on GOG's website in 2005
EC2-01pic1.jpg

Laozx's EC
DI40X_GIA13399417.jpg

Note how all the steps are small and even. They don't have large dark areas.

Check out the stone in sunlight and let us know how it looks.

bizpro1

Rough_Rock

I see what your speaking of....so what would you consider perfect specs to look for. I am just learning about diamonds since I was in the market for one and I have studied the 4 c''s but I see there is so much more to look for.

I would like an EC in the range of about 1.20 give or take and prefer quality of anything else. Thanks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. What is the colour range you prefer? F/G or G/H is quite colourless.
2. What clarity? I think vs1 and most vs2 are fine.
3. What is your budget?
4. Do have a preferred ratio? More square or more elongated? You can play around with the ratios here to see the resulting shape: www.gemappraisers.com/shapePickerNew.asp

As for specifications that I aim for:
Table between 58% to 65%
Depth between 60% to 65%, although sometimes up to 68% could be all right if the stone is really pretty
Crown height of at least 10%, the more the better
An even Girdle, no extremely thin and no extremely thick
At least a very good polish and very good symmetry

Those are just the start to help eliminate the not so nice stones. After that, a true representation of the stone must be seen in person. If that is not possible, then tools like an Idealscope or ASET is helpful. Most Pricescope vendors are able to do this for the customer.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m sorry.. I missed this thread with the pic!

I agree 100% with Chrono. I don''t like that EC at all!

We''ll be happy to help you find a different one though!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results