shape
carat
color
clarity

Please Help! Just Received Diamond and

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
In all fairness, I havent had the ring appraised yet, but this morning I emailed the vendor regarding some of the concerns that were posted here and they offered to have the ring shipped back to make certain there is nothing wrong with the diamond.

They also added:

"He (gemolosit) feels like it''s more the setting rather then the diamond. Also it
could be that there''s dirt from the diamond being set or even the
reflection of the setting. As for the steps of the diamond, keep in mind
that''s the make of an emerald. I''d also mention to him about your
concerns the fact that there''s not to much fire and life for the
diamond. In general emeralds don''t have much fire and life, only because
there''s not much facets appose to other shape of diamond. My gemologist
recommends that if you like the shape of an emerald and you more life
and fire, perhaps you would want to switch to radiant cut or even cushion."

Im looking for a 1.15-1.25 EC with good quality specs and platinum setting with side stones (just as pictured). My budget is no more than 7,000-7,500 but I don''t to go beyond a G color or VS1 clarity. Any suggestions?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 2:58:53 PM
Author: bizpro1
In all fairness, I havent had the ring appraised yet,

I don''t think anyone is saying or *implying* that your purchase is a bad deal or not *worth* what you paid for it (which is mainly what an appraiser would tell you -- does it match its cert).

I''m not sure MOST appraisers go that *extra* step and say ... this is a "well-cut" stone or this is more appealing to the eye than *most* Emerald cuts. So I''m not sure a random appraiser you pick & pay $165 to will give you the answer you''re ACTUALLY looking for: which is ... I assume ... is this the best/most gorgeous stone for my wife''s anniversary ring.

If you don''t love it: send it back. No appraisal necessary. You just don''t love it and no one "telling" you it''s great is gonna change that.

It''s possible you just don''t like Emerald cut stones. How did you choose that cut? Have you seen many in person?

If you''ve liked *other* Emerald Cut stones & just not THIS one ... then I''d suggest you read up on the preferred specs for Emerald Cuts (which have been hinted at by other posters ... save you on the research!) but EVEN THAT won''t GUARANTEE that it''ll be a PRETTY stone ... with pretty PATTERNS and great light dispersion. Judging Emerald cuts by the numbers only is like ordering a mail-bride based on measurments only. 36x24x36 sounds good on paper but can be Uuuuuuggggllllyyy on your doorstep
14.gif
2.gif

You need to see pictures to judge ECs ... ideally pictures from multiple angles or VIDEO.

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 8:20:04 AM
Author: Chrono
Bizpro1,
I''m sorry to say that I don''t like the EC. While I would not bat an eyelash because it is a VVS2 feather, I don''t like the steps on this EC. It just does not draw me in. Too flat looking which might be caused by very large table. My preference is a table around 58% to 65% max. In addition, the EC has a HUGE dark step all around it. Maybe it is just be picture but the scintillation should be more even. I''ll have to find you a picture to show what a well cut EC steps look like.

Irishlad''s EC
irish4321111.jpg

This was on GOG''s website in 2005
EC2-01pic1.jpg

Laozx''s EC
DI40X_GIA13399417.jpg

Note how all the steps are small and even. They don''t have large dark areas.

Check out the stone in sunlight and let us know how it looks.
I don''t have a jeweler''s loop, but yes I too see the dark steps around it, even in sunlight, and that''s just using a magnifying glass.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 3:09:35 PM
Author: decodelighted
Judging Emerald cuts by the numbers only is like ordering a mail-bride based on measurments only. 36x24x36 sounds good on paper but can be Uuuuuuggggllllyyy on your doorstep
14.gif
2.gif

You need to see pictures to judge ECs ... ideally pictures from multiple angles or VIDEO.

*snort* Deco, honey, you have such a way with the words an imagery at times. Priceless.

ETA: bizpro why did you choose an Emerald cut to begin with? Is that what the lady requested... or is there another reason you decided that was the right shape?

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/19/2007 10:07:33 PM
Author: Gypsy

Date: 2/19/2007 3:09:35 PM
Author: decodelighted
Judging Emerald cuts by the numbers only is like ordering a mail-bride based on measurments only. 36x24x36 sounds good on paper but can be Uuuuuuggggllllyyy on your doorstep
14.gif
2.gif

*snort* Deco, honey, you have such a way with the words an imagery at times. Priceless.

ETA: bizpro why did you choose an Emerald cut to begin with? Is that what the lady requested... or is there another reason you decided that was the right shape?
gypsy, i was ready to buy her a nice oval then she started commenting on how beautiful the emerald is. so, emerald shopping i went and it is a surprise which makes it more difficult after so many years of marriage.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL. Women!

Okay... so you chose an Emerald Cut out of thoughtfulness. That''s wonderful.
Here''s my suggestion.

Return the diamond. Call Good Old Gold. Talk to Tim... Give him your budget and your wants.. including the specs we''ve posted here (in fact, just email him the thread). If I may suggest it... consider going down to a VS2 if necessary, as long as it''s eyeclean and the inclusions are safe, you shouldn''t have to pay for what you can''t see.

Ask him to get a couple of emerald cuts in. Then post them for us to help you pick one from all the pictures he gives you.

Also... if I may presume to suggest a different setting.. these are a little more classic.. and in my opinion, compliment the quiet grace of the emerald cut beautifully:

emerald%20cathedral%20solitaire.jpg

tiffembag.jpg

GOG will be able to get you a lovely solitare, or baguette setting for your emerald cut. And both these settings really display the beauty of the emerald cut to its best advantage.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your wife has good taste.
11.gif

I have to agree with Deco on the appraisal. If you don''t like it, then why waste the money on the appraisal? An EC will never have the multiple small sparkles of a round but it has huge flashes of fire. It should not be a dull diamond. I also second Gypsy''s suggestion of using Good Old Gold or even Mark @ Engagement Ring Direct. Mark has really great eyes and a knack for picking excellent fancy shaped diamonds.

I''ll also redirect you to my old thread of what to look for in well cut emerald cut diamonds: Ultimate EC
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-do-you-guys-call-the-ultimate-emerald-cut-diamond.20561/

In the meantime, I''ll see what I can find for you later this afternoon.

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 8:18:16 AM
Your wife has good taste.
11.gif

I have to agree with Deco on the appraisal. If you don''t like it, then why waste the money on the appraisal? An EC will never have the multiple small sparkles of a round but it has huge flashes of fire. It should not be a dull diamond. I also second Gypsy''s suggestion of using Good Old Gold or even Mark @ Engagement Ring Direct. Mark has really great eyes and a knack for picking excellent fancy shaped diamonds.

I''ll also redirect you to my old thread of what to look for in well cut emerald cut diamonds: Ultimate EC
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/what-do-you-guys-call-the-ultimate-emerald-cut-diamond.20561/

In the meantime, I''ll see what I can find for you later this afternoon.
Thanks, Chrono. I will also be searching for an EC with the Pricescope vendors and will post what I think may be really nice for some comments.

I''m starting to run out of time...gotta get moving and the vendor is also calling me regarding this diamond. Problem is I asked them if they could get me something else than what I saw on the website and they told me they didn''t think so but then again, I realize that many of these vendors are advertising the same diamond.

I have found that if I find a diamond with one vendor, another may have same one advertised (GIA cert. # same) for less but then the setting is more...sort of almost evens itself out?

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
Any thought on the following I just found on one of the vendors:

Price $6566 without setting

Carats: 1.28
Cut Grade: Premium
Color: G
Clarity: VS2
Measurements: 7.51 x 5.08 x 3.50
Ratio: 1.48
Depth: 68.9
Table : 64
Girdle: M-STK
Culet: None
Polish: VG
Symmety: VG
Cert: GIA
Fluor: None

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2007 9:19:34 AM
Any thought on the following I just found on one of the vendors:

Price $6566 without setting

Carats: 1.28
Cut Grade: Premium
Measurements: 7.51 x 5.08 x 3.50
Ratio: 1.48
Depth: 68.9
Table : 64
Girdle: M-STK
Polish: VG
Symmety: VG
Cert: GIA
Fluor: None
No red flags on this EC other than the stone being a tad on the deeper side. The ratio of 1.48 is more traditional. Any magnified pictures? Any other pictures like Idealscope and ASET?

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
No pics as I found in on ERD website''s premium diamond collection.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Give Mark a call. He can get you magnified pictures of the actual diamond.

In the meantime, here are other options:

http://www.whiteflash.com/emerald/Emerald-cut-diamond-172093.htm
The stats look promising plus Whiteflash will give you a Sarin report, Idealscope and ASET pictures. The only thing is that you'll be out $25 for shipping if you decide to not purchase the stone.

Both vendors can all in this EC too:
http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/diamonds/10540755
http://www.whiteflash.com/emerald/Emerald-cut-diamond-99500.htm
Although I am a little wary of the Good symmetry, otherwise all other stats look great.

http://www.whiteflash.com/emerald/Emerald-cut-diamond-222285.htm
A little smaller than you wanted but has sweet numbers.

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/diamonds/9957356
This one looks to be promising too.

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
Chrono, I will give Mark a call. I spoke with him once throu AOL IM and he seems extremely interested in customer needs. One question regarding measurements though, is it true the a high table will make EC look larger?

I realized I''m not spending a fortune, but would like the stone to show nicely.

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
Wow, that Whiteflash link you sent me for the first stone likes real nice but why so cheap?....Or does that sound stupid?...Its only $4.439 which is $1,000 less than I paid for the EC I have now and better table and depth...only difference is mine is vvs2 and this one is vs2.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2007 9:56:00 AM
Wow, that Whiteflash link you sent me for the first stone likes real nice but why so cheap?....Or does that sound stupid?...Its only $4.439 which is $1,000 less than I paid for the EC I have now and better table and depth...only difference is mine is vvs2 and this one is vs2.
Well, there should be a good sized price difference between a vvs2 and a vs2 and it shows, hence why we usually advocate staying around vs1 or vs2 for ECs. Why pay more if you can''t see anything anyway?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More options:

http://www.whiteflash.com/emerald/Emerald-cut-diamond-195064.htm

This could be a nice one. But we'll have to check out the Good Symmetry.

http://www.whiteflash.com/emerald/Emerald-cut-diamond-173772.htm
Other than the Good symmetry, it has really nice girdle, very small table and much less deep than the others (so it should look bigger).

I'm not sure what you mean by a high table?
Too large a table will give the diamond a glassy look but may also look bigger.
A smaller table is more likely to give the diamond more fire (firey sparkle).
To get the best of both worlds, go for an EC with less depth to make it look big and a small table (and high crown) for maximum fire.

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
Here is EC I found at the vendor I bought my current EC which I am considering returning (DOW)
Stock number: 1723900
Grading Lab: GIA
Measurement: 7.29 - 5.18 x 3.57
Carat weight: 1.20
Cut*: Excellent
L/W Ratio: 1.41
Depth%: 68.9%
Table%: 55%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle:
Fluorescence: None

Only thing I see on the GIA is "additional clouds are not shown"...what do you tink of this?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2007 10:24:06 AM
Here is EC I found at the vendor I bought my current EC which I am considering returning (DOW)
Stock number: 1723900
Grading Lab: GIA
Measurement: 7.29 - 5.18 x 3.57
Carat weight: 1.20
Cut*: Excellent
L/W Ratio: 1.41
Depth%: 68.9%
Table%: 55%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle:
Fluorescence: None

Only thing I see on the GIA is ''additional clouds are not shown''...what do you tink of this?
The ratio is pleasant to the eye, the table is sweet
30.gif
but the EC is quite deep so it will look smaller than other ECs that are the same 1.2ct weight. I would want to see actual magnified pictures of the stone to check out the Good symmetry. Any information on the girdle? I don''t think the clouds are a concern, again, magnified pictures will help in this case.

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
I just emailed DOW and told them I am leaning toward returning the diamond. The girl has been extremely helpful so I also gave her the opportunity to look for exactly what I was looking for. In my layman''s terms, I told her to look for:

Size of Stone: 1.20 +
-Color: No higer than G
-Clarity: Prefer no higher than VS1 (but will look at VS2)
-L/W: 1:35 t 1:50
-Table: No more than 66
Depth: No more than 64
No Culet
Polish and Symmetry: VG to Excellent
No Fluoresence, but will look at Faint
Cut: VG to Excellent

Hopefully she could find something that I can share with the forum and she will not lose a sale.
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2007 12:59:07 PM
I just emailed DOW and told them I am leaning toward returning the diamond. The girl has been extremely helpful so I also gave her the opportunity to look for exactly what I was looking for. In my layman''s terms, I told her to look for:

Size of Stone: 1.20 +
-Color: No higer than G
-Clarity: Prefer no higher than VS1 (but will look at VS2)
-L/W: 1:35 t 1:50
-Table: No more than 66
Depth: No more than 64
No Culet
Polish and Symmetry: VG to Excellent
No Fluoresence, but will look at Faint
Cut: VG to Excellent

Hopefully she could find something that I can share with the forum and she will not lose a sale.
1.gif
A couple adders:
Switch around your stats for the table and depth:
Table: No more than 64
Depth: No more than 66
Girdle: Even medium if at all possible, otherwise avoid extremely thin and extremely thick

Let''s sit back and see what she is able to come up with. Good luck!

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
Still awaiting word for DOW...but I pulled this off Whiteflash site...seems to look nice...all except the Good Symmetry and seems to be a large stone with a L/W of 1.51....am I correct?

Item Code: 11265695
. Report: GIA
. Shape: Emerald
. Carat: 1.22
. Depth %: 68.1
. Table %: 64
. Girdle: M-STK
. Measurements: 7.53-4.99X3.40
. Polish: Very Good
. Symmetry: Good
. Culet: None
. Fluorescence: None

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2007 1:58:26 PM
Here''s the link:
http://www.whiteflash.com/emerald/Emerald-cut-diamond-169091.htm#
Not my top pick but it could be a nice stone. Again, the stone is quite deep at 68% so it will look smaller than an EC with a 65% depth. The Good symmetry needs to be seen in person to make sure the steps are even and straight. The ratio of 1.51 means the stone is more on the thin and long side as opposed to eg 1.35 ratio where the stone is fatter and more squat. The ratio is totally your personal preference.

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 10:08:30 AM
More options:

http://www.whiteflash.com/emerald/Emerald-cut-diamond-195064.htm

This could be a nice one. But we''ll have to check out the Good Symmetry.

http://www.whiteflash.com/emerald/Emerald-cut-diamond-173772.htm
Other than the Good symmetry, it has really nice girdle, very small table and much less deep than the others (so it should look bigger).

I''m not sure what you mean by a high table?
Too large a table will give the diamond a glassy look but may also look bigger.
A smaller table is more likely to give the diamond more fire (firey sparkle).
To get the best of both worlds, go for an EC with less depth to make it look big and a small table (and high crown) for maximum fire.
I like this second ring as well. Cant get a magnified picture of it since it is not in stock, according to Whiteflash, and they would have to get the ring for me. They charge $50 to return it if it "checks out" and I refuse the ring. If I purchase it, I just pay the purchase price.

If DOW doesn''t get back to me by tomorrow morning, I will start looking for a setting for this ring on Whiteflash as well.

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
Im in NYC and have a diamond jeweler in the Canal Street area (for all that are familiar with NYC). He comes highly referred by people that have purchased diamonds in the past.

You think it''s worth it to run the numbers by him?...In general, do you believe the I will get a much better price/quality diamond here online by doing my due diligence?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you are in NYC, how about checking out Good Old Gold and Engagement Rings Direct in person? Both are in NYC (or pretty darn close). Both vendors are knowledgeable, helpful and have very competitive prices and excellent diamonds.

You could try to run the stats by the Canal Street jeweller if you feel very comfortable with him. I also purchased mine at a B&M since it was a trade-up stone but I made sure the jeweller lined up at least 3 ECs with similiar stats for me to view at the same time. I also viewed them in different lighting (flourescent office lighting and outdoors - away from the jeweller's lights). Is your jeweller agreeable to both? Some jewellers don't like calling in more than one diamond at a time due to cost while others won't even let you near the door with the diamond in your hand.

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/20/2007 2:42:12 PM
Since you are in NYC, how about checking out Good Old Gold and Engagement Rings Direct in person? Both are in NYC (or pretty darn close). Both vendors are knowledgeable, helpful and have very competitive prices and excellent diamonds.

You could try to run the stats by the Canal Street jeweller if you feel very comfortable with him. I also purchased mine at a B&M since it was a trade-up stone but I made sure the jeweller lined up at least 3 ECs with similiar stats for me to view at the same time. I also viewed them in different lighting (flourescent office lighting and outdoors - away from the jeweller''s lights). Is your jeweller agreeable to both? Some jewellers don''t like calling in more than one diamond at a time due to cost while others won''t even let you near the door with the diamond in your hand.
I have an email into Mark....and I will call the guy in Canal and tell him EXACTLY what "I" want to buy, not what he has.

I also got this off of ERD website...I know the Table is a tad more than your advice, but it is from Engagementringsdirect. What do you think?
http://engagementringsdirect.com/loose_detail.php/session/6845166534df52c5f0a44c2499db93a1/id/1173324504/sz/150/premium/premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/20/2007 3:15:19 PM

Date: 2/20/2007 2:42:12 PM

You could try to run the stats by the Canal Street jeweller if you feel very comfortable with him. I also purchased mine at a B&M since it was a trade-up stone but I made sure the jeweller lined up at least 3 ECs with similiar stats for me to view at the same time. I also viewed them in different lighting (flourescent office lighting and outdoors - away from the jeweller''s lights). Is your jeweller agreeable to both? Some jewellers don''t like calling in more than one diamond at a time due to cost while others won''t even let you near the door with the diamond in your hand.
I have an email into Mark....and I will call the guy in Canal and tell him EXACTLY what ''I'' want to buy, not what he has.

I also got this off of ERD website...I know the Table is a tad more than your advice, but it is from Engagementringsdirect. What do you think?
http://engagementringsdirect.com/loose_detail.php/session/6845166534df52c5f0a44c2499db93a1/id/1173324504/sz/150/premium/premium
The table could be all right, depending upon the crown height. My concern is with the extremely thin to medium girdle. Email/call Mark about both the crown height and the girdle. Ask him where the extremely thin part is: it could be okay or it might be in a location where the EC could easily get chipped.

bizpro1

Rough_Rock
Im chatting with Mark now regarding this...he will get back to me shortly...I will let you know. Thanks, you have been great, almost holding my hand throughout this. Kudos to you, Chrono.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are welcome, Bizpro1. There aren''t too many consumers interested in ECs here so I jump in at every opportunity to help them as I am an avid EC admirer myself. Do come back and post Mark''s opinion on the stone as well as the 2nd EC from DOW.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results